SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Serq: Seroquel confusion

Serq

Hi,

Before I found this forum with the 10% taper solution, I tapered off Serequel too fast. I went from 100mg down to 25mg in 3 months and suffered sever withdrawal, which is to be expected.

So now I want to start the 10% taper but first I need to stabilise, right. So, I'm currently taking 12.5mg in the morning, 12.5mg at noon and again 12.5mg before I go to bed. I've been on this routine now for a month.

However I am suffering from dry mouth especially which I thought was a side effect, not a withdrawal symptom? Please tell me I'm wrong it can be withdrawal as well. I also have the nausea, fatique, headaches etc which are also withdrawal symptoms. So, do I need to up the dose, wait some more or what? How do I get stable?

I also want to know, what is the difference when you take one tablet (25mg) in the morning only as apposed to splitting the dose like I am into 12mg, morning and noon? Will it make a difference?

Can one suffer side effects AND withdrawal symptoms at the same time?

Thanks so much for this site, it is my life line as I was going to give up!

Edited by ChessieCat
Added spacing

Diagnosed Bipolar II and Generalized Anxiety disorder

Medication 2004 till present day:

•    Lithium 600mg taken at night for Bipolar “suppression” (7 years, quit in June 2016)
•    Epilyzine 500mg taken daily as mood stabilizer (2 years quit June 2016)
•    Dopaquel 300mg at night Anxiety (5 years, tapered down to 0mg over last 3 months. Last dose October 2016
•    Seroquel 50mg "normal" release (25mg tabs) during the day Anxiety ( 3 years tapered down to 37mg over last 2months, 12,5mg every 6 hours)
•    Lexamil 150mg SSRI Anti-depressant (12 years, ended taper July 2016)
•    Wellbutrin 150mg daily Anti-depressant (5 years quit July 2016)
•    Brazepam 6mg as needed for stress (1 year, 3mg morning, 3mg noon)

Before the list above I've mostly been on Anti-depressants and mood stabilizers for the last 25 years.
Currently stable mood, no depression or anxiety. Withdrawing with physical symptoms only, Nausea,headaches,fatigue,joint pains. Sleep 8 hours no problem.

Sorry Imeant to add another important thing. I have been taking Brazepam (benzo) for about 6 months but I'm only taking 3mg small dose as and when I feel stressed. Could my symptoms also be withdrawal from this as well? As I understand it from this forum, I need to taper the Serequel ant-pshychoti first and then the benzo.

Thanks so much.....

•    Lithium 600mg taken at night for Bipolar “suppression” (7 years, quit in June 2016)
•    Dopaquel 300mg at night Anxiety (5 years, tapered down to 0mg over last 3 months. Last dose October 2016
•    Seroquel 50mg "normal" release (25mg tabs) during the day Anxiety ( 3 years tapered down to 37mg over last 2months, 12,5mg every 6 hours)

Before the list above I've mostly been on Anti-depressants and mood stabilizers for the last 25 years.
Currently stable mood, no depression or anxiety. Withdrawing with physical symptoms only, Nausea,headaches,fatigue,joint pains. Sleep 8 hours no problem.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Serq and welcome to SA,

I will leave the discussion of your drugs to other more knowledgeable mods, but will start you off with some links to check out.

Also, Please put your Withdrawal History in Signature.  Please include details for the last 12-18 months of  all drugs, dates, doses and discontinuations & reinstatements.  If you can't remember dates, please write it as "early March" or "mid-August".  Please provide a summary of any drugs prior to that which can just be listed with start and stop years. Please include all prescription, non-prescription drugs and supplements you are currently taking. If you are using a phone there are instructions in Posts 9 & 10.

Before you begin tapering what you need to know

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

Taking multiple psych drugs? Which drug to taper first?
If you're not having an adverse reaction from the other medications, taper the most activating drug first. This is usually an antidepressant or stimulant (ADHD drug).

Tips for tapering off Seroquel (quetiapine)

You can ask questions here in your Intro/Update topic and journal your progress.  Click "Follow" top right and you will be notified when someone responds.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

HI Chessiecat,

Thank you so much for responding. I have already read all the links you posted for me, even before I joined the forum :)

My plan is as follows:

• I am considering updosing the Serequel to 50mg in order to see if I stabilize quicker, or should I stay on the 37,5mg (1 and half tablets a day)?
  • I will keep taking the benzo 3mg morning and 3mg noon. Will taper that after getting rid of serequel.
  • Once stabilized I'll start my 10% taper as described on this forum.

Questions:

• Do I keep on taking the Serequel every 6 hours in dosis of half tablet 12,5mg or can I just take the total 37,5mg at once? I thought that by having 12,5mg every 6 hours would maintain the blood plasma level better than having 37,5mg every 24 hours? It's obviously not working though, the 12,5mg spread! Instead of 12,mg I took a whole tablet yesterday morning and the other 12,5mg late in the day. I actually feel a little better this morning but surely it's too soon to have an effect.
  • If I can take the whole 37,5mg dose at once, can I do this at night rather than during the day as I want to avoid the sedative and nasties at work?

It has been a life long journey really but I do feel much better since June last year when I was finished with all the other drugs in my signature. It is just this last Serequel hurdle that is giving me such a hard time. I have faith that once stabilsed I will successfully taper using the 10% method.

I really look forward to an answer from the mods on this site.

Serq

• Moderator Emeritus

Are you able to give some additional information about your Dopaquel taper?  How did you taper it?  When did you last take it?

My opinion - I don't think going up to 50mg Seroquel will be helpful.  Especially if your symptoms are bearable.  You may just be suffering some delayed withdrawal symptoms from your previous tapers, especially since you have only recently finished tapering one of your drugs.  You might do best just holding on the dose you are on for another 2-3 months to ensure your CNS has had a chance to stabilise before commencing a new taper.

Have you seen this topic?  Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

The only two supplements that SA recommends are:  Magnesium and Omega-3 Fish Oil

I'm not sure about the dosing regimen you have.  Hopefully one of the mods will pop in and offer their opinion.

It's important to learn non drug coping techniques to use during tapering and for once we are off the drug/s:

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

Hi Chessiechat,

I last took Dopaquel in November 2016, sorry should have made that clear. I tapered way to fast going from the 300mg original to zero in 3 months. I didn't know any better at the time unfortunately.

I'm glad to hear you suggest I shouldn't increase my Serequel to 50mg. I'll stick with the current dose of 37,5mg for a month or two as you suggest.

So, my only question remains on the dosing, whether I can take one dose of 37,5mg every 24 hours or if I should spread it out by taking 12,5mg every 6 hours or so.

Thanks for all the links you sent, I'll go through them as well. I do take Magnesium and Omega's as well as a good all round multi-vitamin.

Best wishes

Serq

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Serq,

Thanks for providing the extra info.  Could you please include that in your signature?  And please remember to update your signature whenever you make a change so that it remains current and we can see it at a glance.  This saves us having to sift through your posts.  Thank you.

I'm still thinking that holding the seroquel for at least 2-3 more months sounds in order.  If you keep notes on paper and also Rate Symptoms Daily to Check Patterns and Progress it may help you to see improvements that you don't realise have happened because sometimes they can be very slight but looking back you might recognise that something has changed for the better.  Being cautious and going slower is better than trying to go faster and then having to back up.  A bit like ensuring that the wheel nuts are always tight rather than risking damage being done if they become loose.

I'll let the other mods know about your other question,  so keep your dosing the same until you get a response.

Good luck.  I hope it all goes well for you!

Thanks Chessicat,

I updated the signature as requested. I downloaded the symptom checker spreadsheet and will religiously complete it.

Looking forward to a reply to my questions from the mods.

Best wishes

Serq

• Administrator

Welcome, Serq.

What times do you take quetiapine? Have you tried taking quetiapine twice a day? What times of day, and what happened? Did the dry mouth go away?

It sounds to me that the dry mouth is a side effect. We don't hear about it as a withdrawal symptom (but just about anything can be).

Is yours the XR type? Look carefully at the label and package inserts.

How are you sleeping?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Morning Alto,

Thanks so much for responding.

I take 25mg quetiapine at 6am and then another 12,5mg (half tablet) at around lunch time 12pm. I don't use the XR extended release, just the normal one. I sleep 8 hours without any problems at all. I agree in the sense that the dry mouth should be a side effect, yet the nausea and headaches are withdrawal symptoms, somewhat confusing. The dry mouth has been a bit better yesterday and today but it comes and goes.

My question remains whether I can take my whole daily dose of 37,5mg (1 and half tablets) at once firstly, and secondly, would it matter when I took the whole dose i.e. in the morning or at night?

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey Serq  - welcome to SA!

Can one suffer side effects AND withdrawal symptoms at the same time?

Yep!  Sometimes they are the same - for example an agitation might be a side effect, or it might be a withdrawal effect.

Some people in here have to walk a fine line between side effects and withdrawal effects.  Dry mouth is a pretty mild symptom - make sure you are well hydrated with water and electrolytes, and that might help address the dry mouth.

• I am considering updosing the Serequel to 50mg in order to see if I stabilize quicker, or should I stay on the 37,5mg (1 and half tablets a day)?
  • I will keep taking the benzo 3mg morning and 3mg noon. Will taper that after getting rid of serequel.
  • Once stabilized I'll start my 10% taper as described on this forum.

What are your symptoms?  How challenging are they at this time?   I'm guessing you came here because after getting rid of all of your drugs last year - you may be starting to feel quite frayed around the edges (or even crashed in the middle!).

There's a Delayed Onset of Withdrawal Symptoms, and even though you quit them a long time ago (from here it looks like CT - Cold Turkey - for most of them?) - it has still been within the past year.  Since you quit so many, I'm wondering how you are coping from that.  I'm thrilled that you are confident you will never go back - but - there still may be some nervous system adjustments that will need to rattle out before your symptoms settle down.  It's AWESOME that you are sleeping!  May it ever be so!

Before reinstating, I'd like to see what your symptoms are and how much they are interrupting your regular functioning.  Chessie said:  if you're functioning, don't updose.   If, however your symptoms are intrusive and interrupting your functioning, updosing is an option.  Ultimately, it's a decision you will have to make, based on your symptoms, and how you feel.

As always, Keep notes on paper - to find out your patterns in order to decide what is right for you.

And while you are keeping notes on paper - you may be able to answer your own question:

So, my only question remains on the dosing, whether I can take one dose of 37,5mg every 24 hours or if I should spread it out by taking 12,5mg every 6 hours or so

At the doses you are taking, the Seroquel could be quite sedating, and yet you are taking it in the daytime.  When you keep notes on paper, do you notice any drowsiness from the Seroquel?  Nearly everyone I know taking it would be pretty soupy if they took it first thing in the morning.

I can see why you started taking it every 6 hours (the half life of regular Seroquel is about that).  

The best way to work it out, is to work those 2 doses - gradually - to later in the day.  And gradually move them so that 3 doses comes down to 2.  (OK now I'm confused - your previous posts said you were on 3 doses a day, and your last post said 6 am and noon.  I'll use that as an example).

You want your bigger dose to be at nighttime, so that you can wake up during the day.

Here is a possible schedule (you may wish to adapt it to suit your schedule)

Move the 6 am to 6 pm.  You will have a few nights where you go to bed early.  

Then gradually start moving (every 3 days or so) your noon dose back an hour, and the 6 pm dose back an hour.

Take notes on paper, and observe how this affects your work, sleep, mood, fogginess, and daytime sleepiness.

I'm also concerned that your bromazepam is in the daytime.  It has a longer half-life, and would be best spaced out to 12 hour intervals.  You are on 2 brakes, and you are taking both of them in the daytime.  You may also wish to move the bromazepam to 10 am - 10 pm (eventually).  Again - if you are having breakthrough anxiety in the daytime, then maybe your doses need to stay as they are.  Only you know for sure.  

But please, only move one drug at a time, and consider each change as significant, give yourself time to adjust in between changes.

If it seems to be moving in the right direction, try to get a 5 pm (12.5 mg) and 10 pm (25 mg) schedule.  If this is not causing "intrustions" (too-fast tapering can result in instrusive thoughts, obsessions, "sticky thinking" anxiety, and intrusive perceptions), then when you taper, you can start on reducing the 5 pm dose, until you are only taking the 1 x 25 mg at 10 pm.  (or 9 pm, or whatever suits your schedule best).

Unless you are having "intrusions" during the daytime.   Then you should keep the 12.5 earlier in the day.  You could put them 12 hours apart - small dose 9 am, larger dose 9 pm. 

Keep in mind, there will be about a 4 - 10 day adjustment in between each change.  If you are in distress, give yourself plenty of time to adjust.  If, at any time what I have suggested here, feels "wrong" or causes problems in your functioning, go back to the last schedule that worked best for you.

We're looking to find your best schedule (and I can't really do that, because I'm not you) - and then - when you achieve that - plan on holding there for at least 3 months before doing your next taper.

It's your notes, and your observations which will help you work this out.

You can share notes and observations here, and we can opine - but ultimately, you have taken charge of your life and your health, and you can do this!

So - try moving them later in the day, and make notes, and let us know what you are observing about how these changes are affecting your day, your functioning - and we can help you iron out the wrinkles.

But for the most part, I concur that staying on your current dose for awhile is best - with just a few gentle experiments on time of day.  It will be easiest to taper (when the time comes) when the seroquel is a single night dose.  Again - as long you are not having intrusive thoughts & perceptions in the daytime.

Congratulations on how far you have come!  Doesn't it amaze you - now that you are seeing more clearly - how foggy we let ourselves get under the spell of the psychiatrists?

Have you considered "undiagnosing" yourself?  The DSM is not a scientific document, it's a "consensus marketing" document.

I, too, was a bipolar.  Now I'm just Jan.  Weird, loud, a little wild & odd, but just Jan.

I hope you see the sun today.

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

Hi Jan,

Shoe..remarkable, I'm bit overwhelmed right now with all the options you are giving me. Let me "digest" them and decide what to do next.

I'm SOOOOO grateful that you agree that I must ultimately aim for a single dose of Serequel at night time. It just makes so much more sense and the tapering would be so much easier. I'm coping at the moment but only just. Couple of weeks ago I almost lost my job because of poor performance at work. I'm physically crap all day long but however the last 3 days was an improvement. The only small change I made was the 25mg in the morning and 12,5mg at noon, so I basically skipped the 12,5mg at bed time. I'm keeping a spreadsheet daily with all my symptoms ranked and how I feel almost on a hourly basis so that's also going to help seeing anything new during the adjustment phase.

So, I think I'll give it a couple of days then "switch" by starting with 12,5mg in the morning and have the 25mg later in the afternoon and keep on slowly shifting and shifting them towards night time. It does make sense that whatever foggy and crappy feelings I have will then occur when I'm asleep!. Coool!

I have come such a long way, although it was the WRONG way, since I've quit all the poision in my system. I actually have a positive outlook on life now whereas 6 months ago I was suicidal. I found this forum just in time and it is people like you whom I'll trust going forward and walking this last piece of the journey with me. Thanks for that.

I'm not going to change anything with the benzo rigth now. Most of the info I've studied on SA suggest to get rid of the most activating or dangerous drug first. I'ts also quite a low dose and it doesn't make me drowsy as such.

When you talk about self-diagnosis, it made me smile (I don't often). I have come to realize some time ago that there never really was anything major wrong with me. I was a bit depressed after the Army for reasons I won't discuss here, but since then I have been treated for side effects of AD's with just more and more psychotic drugs from different psychiatrists. It's absolutely crazy. I only now, after 30 years on drugs, start to experience what it feels like to be the real me. I hope this continues as time goes by.

Jan, again, thanks so much for putting in the time and effort to understand, analyze and advice on the topic I posted. I will update my thread as time goes by.

May your day be filled with joy.

Serq

• Moderator Emeritus

That's great, Serq!  Look forward to seeing your notes as your gentle changes unfold.

After I made that post, I was talking to hubby, and said - remember that time we were travelling, and I got my tablets mixed up, and took my night meds (including 25 mg Seroquel) in the morning?  We laughed, but

I was worthless that day.  And I was meeting a friend of mine who is so present, so Zen, and my brain was mush.

So I can imagine morning doses of this drug - but it's not pretty!   :P

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!