Shortcake: Effexor withdrawal. When will it end?

Shortcake

• Moderator Emeritus

I hear you about the number one priority being taking care of your daughter.  We would like you to achieve that too.  I guess what we're saying is that because w/d is quite random in how it affects people, the safest course is often staying at your current dose and seeing if that gets you stable.  You could continue to up-dose, but you may never find a better level.  There is also the risk that things would worsen.  Things change, so there's no guarantee that a dose that worked for you previously will work for you again.

We are not just trying to get you to stay at this dose because it fits our pathway for getting people off drugs.

We're saying it because it's the most likely way to get you stable, with the least amount of risk.  And when you're stable you can better take care of your girl.  

Of course, in the end the decisions are obviously yours.  We can only share what experience we have...

Wishing the best for you, as you negotiate your way through this,

Karen

PS, I have two daughters, a bit older than yours I think, ages 12 and nearly 15.  And for us mums, our kids always come first, don't they.  I really do empathise with you about that.  A mum is never a single unit; a mum has to factor in mum+kids.  And that affects everything.   

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 December - Now on 5 micro-beads Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops. Symptoms begin to increase.

2024 April - Updosed to 6 microbeads - immediate increase in symptoms for 4 days. Decreased to 5 microbeads.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shortcake

• ChessieCat

• scallywag

• baroquep

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not as knowledgeable as many on SA, but I do have 40 years experience of living with anxiety and depression.

My view is that self-calming methods for treating anxiety are not for everyone.

They did nothing for my overwhelming symptoms, the likes of which seem to be affecting you, Shortcake.

Heck, 2.2mg is hardly anything.  At the risk of confronting the core philosophies on SA, I agree with your own thoughts in your last couple of posts, Shortcake.

I am able to help my wife and daughter to amuse and look after our 3-year old granddaughter, and I am on 150mg Effexor, having come down from 225mg in a few months.

As I view my life's situation I still see being able to deal with Effexor reduction at a later date.  We have to live with some optimism in the face of overwhelming adversity.

I absolutely endorse SA's mantras, but at the end of the day, only the individual undergoing terrible suffering can decide what to actually do for the best right now.

I use the term "stable platform" (maybe should be "relatively stable platform") often, but that is a concept that has helped me survive life and a professional career since 1977. 

Born 1945. 

1999 - First Effexor/Venlafaxine

2016 Withdrawal research. Effexor.  13Jul - 212.5mg;  6Aug - 200.0mg;  24Aug - 187.5mg;  13Sep - 175.0mg;  3Oct - 162.5mg;  26Oct - 150mg 

2017  9Jan - 150.00mg;  23Mar - 137.50mg;  24Apr - 125.00mg;  31May - 112.50mg holding;  3Sep - 100.00mg;  20Sep - 93.75mg;  20Oct - 87.5mg;  12Nov - 81.25mg;  13 Dec - 75.00mg

2018  18Jan - 69.1mg; 16Feb - 62.5mg; 16March - 57.5mg (-8%); 22Apr - 56.3mg(-2%); CRASHED - Updose 29May - 62.5mg; Updose - 1Jul - 75.0mg. Updose - 2Aug - 87.5mg. Updose - 27Aug - 100.0mg. Updose - 11Oct 112.5mg. Updose - 6Nov 125.00mg

2019 Updoses 19 Jan - 150.0mg. 1April - 162.5mg. 24 April - Feeling better - doing tasks, getting outside.  7 May - usual depression questionnaire gives "probably no depression" result.

Supps/Vits  Omega 3;  Chelated Magnesium;  Prebiotics/Probiotics, Vit D3. 

Is there a thread on here anywhere about how to explain withdrawal syndrome to a doctor? My dad is friends with a psychologist and is going to talk to him to see if he can help me (I dont think he can unless he understands withdrawal syndrome). But i dont know how to explain my plan and well basically the philosophy we practice here.

Started weaning from Effexor XR (put on these in 1999)in September 2013 150 mg by removing a few little balls a week and ended at 8 mg January 2017. ER doctor stopped them January 3rd, 2017 due to what she thought was seratonin syndrome. I now know it was withdrawal.

Reinstated 2.25mg Effexor Xr February 4, 2017

Previous meds Zoloft 1997-1999 stopped abruptly July 1999. A few months later I was diagnosed as bipolar and put on Effexor XR, Epival, and Trazadone. A few years after that I was told the bipolar was a misdiagnoses and they stopped the Epival. At some point I stopped the trazadone myself.

Supplements:omega 3 fish oil, vitamin d, magnesium, high dose probiotic.Ativan when needed

• Moderator Emeritus

Here is the thread for you:  http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2746-what-should-i-expect-from-my-doctor-about-withdrawal-symptoms/

The main thing to remember is that you are in change of you, and the doctor is someone you are paying to see if they have anything useful to offer.  If they don't, then you just walk away...

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.

2023 December - Now on 5 micro-beads Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops. Symptoms begin to increase.

2024 April - Updosed to 6 microbeads - immediate increase in symptoms for 4 days. Decreased to 5 microbeads.

Thank you KarenB :) My dads going to see if he understands withdrawal syndrome or if he thinks he can help. I will talk to him but I am pretty stubborn. I agree with the philosophies here and I can feel myself slowly getting better. Its been 12 days since I reinstated and I will wait a bit more before i updose again if I feel I need to. I understand that my brain just needs time to heal right now. There's no wuick fix and i understand that. I just sometimes feel like if going to 2.2mg improved things a bit but things are still off, then maybe going up a tiny bit more might improve things a bit more. But im not rushing into it. I just need to talk things out and have a plan in place.

Started weaning from Effexor XR (put on these in 1999)in September 2013 150 mg by removing a few little balls a week and ended at 8 mg January 2017. ER doctor stopped them January 3rd, 2017 due to what she thought was seratonin syndrome. I now know it was withdrawal.

Previous meds Zoloft 1997-1999 stopped abruptly July 1999. A few months later I was diagnosed as bipolar and put on Effexor XR, Epival, and Trazadone. A few years after that I was told the bipolar was a misdiagnoses and they stopped the Epival. At some point I stopped the trazadone myself.

Supplements:omega 3 fish oil, vitamin d, magnesium, high dose probiotic.Ativan when needed

• Moderator Emeritus

Sounds totally reasonable Shortcake.  You're taking great care of yourself.

8 month hold.

Effexor xr reinstatement day 16:

Things seem to be going well. I have had a few great days. Feeling a bit like my old self again. The fatigue is insane though. I am so so tired all the time.

The weird brain pain has subsided which is nice.

I have been using the Headspace app to meditate every night, different than my buddhist guided meditation but seems to be better at keeping my mind from wandering away.

I finished the book From Panic to Power and it definitely helped me some. Now I am reading Feeling Good by David Burns, which helped me when I got my first panic attack 15 ish years ago. I am enjoying the book again. I can see how my thought patterns during my waves were contributing to making them worse. I am doing my best to stay calm and think positive, and just accept that this is the way things are right now. I was fighting against it hard and that made it worse. I've given up the fight and am just going with the flow.

Hoping this window is really a door but prepared that there will be more waves. I think I'm better equipped to deal with it now than I was the last time.

Hey Shortcake

Sorry to hear about the fatigue.  that seems to be the trade off sometimes when reinstating.  you get your sanity back, but then have to deal with fatigue.  Hopefully it will lessen.  I had horrible fatigue when I reinstated after a year long wd in 2005, but I was put back on max dosages of the drugs- 200 mg Zoloft, 17.5 mg zyprexa, 200 mg Effexor, and abilify, so I thought maybe that had something to do with it.  Some people get hit with the fatigue right off when they initially start taking anti depressants and for others it can happen during reinstatement.   You may want to watch it if it gets too bad, some people do had adverse reactions sometimes in reinstatement. 

Poetjester

Court committed to take Prozac, Paxci, and Respiradol from 8/95 to 3/96.   developed severe akithisia and brain damage.  Was unable to speak and walking in circles 15 hours a day.  Went in for 5 sessions of ECT during a 10 day period in March of '96 and my forced medication was discontinued at that time.  My akithisia and brain damage cleared up within a few days of stopping the meds.

On Zoloft (200 mg) and Zyprexa (17.5 mg) March 1998- Feb 2014

In between was placed on Effexor 200 mg and Abilify for six months in 2004.  Developed mild akithisia which went away once I stopped the Abilify.  Developed severe GI issues in Dec 2001 and from that time on suffered from fatigue and hypersomnia where I would sleep between 12 and 20 hours a day and rarely ever left my apartment. 

Had tapered to 100 mg of Zoloft and 7.5 mg of Zyprexa at the time of going cold turkey Feb. 2014

Went 5 days without sleep at the beginning while vomiting all over my apt.  Had brain zaps for a number of weeks and also lightheadedness which both eventually went away.  However 2 1/2 yrs later I still struggle with insomnia, depression, and fatigue.

Hey PJ,

I will take the fatigue! Effexor has always made me exhausted... it's always a joke to my friends wondering if I can stay awake during parties. The answer is usually no. I fall asleep during dates and durig sex as well. It's annoying but I will deal with it. Hopefully wont have to be on effexor for too many more years. And for sure it is way easoer to deal with than with withdrawal symptoms!

Yeah Shortcake,

having to take a lot of naps is better then sitting on the couch weeping every day and losing your mind.  I used to fall asleep at movie theaters without fail on Zoloft and zyprexa.  I can remember a friend of mine getting pissed when I dozed off at "Beavis and Butthead" many years back.  He had dragged me to go see it and I wasn't a big fan and fell asleep during the middle of it.  I just couldn't help it.  It sucks thinking that you  have too manage fatigue now, when you were probably doing better before the pills, but remembering wd symptoms usually makes the fatigue do-able.   

Court committed to take Prozac, Paxci, and Respiradol from 8/95 to 3/96.   developed severe akithisia and brain damage.  Was unable to speak and walking in circles 15 hours a day.  Went in for 5 sessions of ECT during a 10 day period in March of '96 and my forced medication was discontinued at that time.  My akithisia and brain damage cleared up within a few days of stopping the meds.

On Zoloft (200 mg) and Zyprexa (17.5 mg) March 1998- Feb 2014

In between was placed on Effexor 200 mg and Abilify for six months in 2004.  Developed mild akithisia which went away once I stopped the Abilify.  Developed severe GI issues in Dec 2001 and from that time on suffered from fatigue and hypersomnia where I would sleep between 12 and 20 hours a day and rarely ever left my apartment. 

Had tapered to 100 mg of Zoloft and 7.5 mg of Zyprexa at the time of going cold turkey Feb. 2014

Went 5 days without sleep at the beginning while vomiting all over my apt.  Had brain zaps for a number of weeks and also lightheadedness which both eventually went away.  However 2 1/2 yrs later I still struggle with insomnia, depression, and fatigue.

I actually had the fatigue before i went off effexor so im used to it, 17 years of it lol. but i think it seems worse now since I'm not working. Sitting at home seems to make it worse. Its manageable though. My daughter takes naps so i can nap with her. Its kind of nice :)

I fell asleep during one of the lord of the ring movies in theatre... lol.

I see a psychologist tomorrow. A friend of my dads. My dad described what I was going through and the way I'm dealing with it. The psychologist said it sounded like Im doing everything right and that sometimes these things can take months to resolve, but I was on the right path. So it sounds like I may have found a good one. I see him tomorrow. I think its more for my fathers peace of mind that I go, but it could help, who knows.

• Administrator

Are you taking the Effexor in the evening? Good to hear reinstatement is taking root. Best to minimize dosage as much as possible.

How did you explain what you're doing to your dad?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

I take my effexor in the mornings. Around 10am.

I basically just told my dad it takes time for the brain to heal after going through withdrawal. I sent him some links from here as well.

So I saw the psychologist and it went really well. He was appalled to find out that they put me on zoloft when I was 14, amd then the bipolar misdiagnoses and subsequent drugs. He agrees I should have never been put on drugs in the first place. He recognizes that Im still having withdrawal from the effexor. But he was trying to find some other reason for it, some other contributing factor... except my life was completely fine before the taper got to be too much. Anyway, he uses cognitive therapy and is helping me with my anxiety. He is making me see things differently. My thoughts always go to the negative and he is challenging me to see the positive. Anyway, I felt it really helped.

As for the symtpoms, still in my window. Still feeling good and each day I feel more and more like myself. Still a bit wary of the next wave hitting, but a lot more calm about things.

So thankful for this forum and all your advice.

• Administrator

That's good.

Even sympathetic therapists often don't understand why withdrawal syndrome might persist.

If Zoloft makes you fatigued, you may wish to move your dose to the evening. Do this by moving it an hour or two each day.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

I'm no longer on zoloft. Im on effexor xr now. Would moving it really help that? Even though its the extended release? I thought a bit of it was released over 24 hours so i didnt think it msde a difference what time as long as I took it the same time each day. Hmmmm.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Shortcake, how are things going with your reinstatement?  Hope you are continuing to feel better and have found some relief from the horrible withdrawal symptoms.  I know how awful they can get.  Good to hear that you are taking steps to find ways to help yourself and that you have a solid and supportive family.  All the best.    

Current Prescription Drugs for Hypothyroidism:  Synthroid 100mcg / Cytomel 5mcg (15 years Pristiq/Effexor)

Tapering Schedule
September 15, 2016 - switched from Pristiq 50mg to Effexor XR 75mg; November 10, 2016 - reduced to 67.5 Effexor XR
December 9, 2016 - reduced 60.75
January 5, 2017 - reduced 54.67
January 30, 2017 - reduced to 49.0
February 20, 2017 - reduced to 44.0 
May 20, 2017 - reduced to 40.25 (holding for additional month due to late onset of withdrawal symptoms after this taper)
July 17, 2017 - reduced to 38.24
August 15, 2017 - reduced to 37.5 (50% of my original dose)

October 15, 2017 - reduced to 35.6

November 12, 2017 - reduced to 33.8
December 15, 2017 - up-dose to 35.6
December 28, 2017 - up-dose to 37.5

Hi BaroqueP!  Things are still going really well...  I seem to have a LOT more patience, anxiety attacks aren't triggered as easily, and most withdrawal symptoms are gone.  It's been almost 2 weeks I believe since I've had bad withdrawal symptoms, and am really hoping they are gone for good.  Aiming for a few MONTHS of no symptoms before I start slowly tapering down.  I'm already at 2.2mg so I may as well attempt to get down to zero.  Now that I know how to do it properly from this group I am hoping for a smoother transition :)

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Shortcake, its really good to see that you are feeling much better. Its early days and I would wait a few months before thinking about tapering again. This time round it will be much easier because you have the knowledge how to do it safely. I wish I had found this site before I started to taper effexor! I tapered for a year and had awful withdrawal too. You might find that you have 'waves' from time to time, and feel like withdrawal is back but it will not last. Just keep your dose consistent.   :)

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

• Moderator Emeritus

That is great news Shortcake, am so happy for you.  Yes, lots of patience is needed for sure, that point can't be stressed enough.  Recently I tried to shorten the hold after a reduction from four weeks to three and have paid for it.  Feeling a lot better today thankfully.  You are very very wise to wait at least a few months if not more to completely stabilize before attempting to start to reduce again.  Better to start from a position of strength as Effexor is truly a beast to get off of if you don't do it properly!!!  Sending positivity that you will be an early success story ... 2.2mgs to go, that's fantastic!!!  

Current Prescription Drugs for Hypothyroidism:  Synthroid 100mcg / Cytomel 5mcg (15 years Pristiq/Effexor)

Tapering Schedule
September 15, 2016 - switched from Pristiq 50mg to Effexor XR 75mg; November 10, 2016 - reduced to 67.5 Effexor XR
December 9, 2016 - reduced 60.75
January 5, 2017 - reduced 54.67
January 30, 2017 - reduced to 49.0
February 20, 2017 - reduced to 44.0 
May 20, 2017 - reduced to 40.25 (holding for additional month due to late onset of withdrawal symptoms after this taper)
July 17, 2017 - reduced to 38.24
August 15, 2017 - reduced to 37.5 (50% of my original dose)

October 15, 2017 - reduced to 35.6

November 12, 2017 - reduced to 33.8
December 15, 2017 - up-dose to 35.6
December 28, 2017 - up-dose to 37.5

• 2 weeks later...

Well its been 1 month and 4 days since reinstatement. I'm still doing well but still have some issues.

One being anxiety attacks. Anytime I think about going back to work, or going out with friends, I get this overwhelmed panicky sensation. I still have 2 more months off work. But anytime I go out theres a 50/50 chance of an anxiety attack. I am so sick of it. It makes me not want to do things, but at the same time I'm forcing myself to go out. It needs to stop.

The other thing is a bit more strange. When I was in withdrawal at its worst, I was falling asleep and I guess half asleep/half dreaming/half awake I thought someone was at my bedside. I panicked and shot up and turned the light on. After that my imagination ran away with me... i pictured dead people in that apot in my room, thought about maybe a murder took place, horrible horrible things, and now I cant shake it. I know that nothing is there (though part of me feels like there could be an entity there), but i cant sleep. As soon as i turn off my light im aware of something there. I try to get my mind off it but its hard to. I end up not being able to fall asleep for hours. And only when my daughter comes in to sleep with me. (She is still not used to the new house and wakes up and wants to sleep with me, shes only 2).

So it seems to be these 2 things leftover... anxiety attacks when I go out, and this horrible sense of someone in my bedroom at night. As much as I want off these drugs... I feel like my quality of life isn't there. Im going to go back to doing cbt now that most withdrawal has gone, and i see another psychologist as well so fingers crossed something helps soon.

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for the update. You must be relieved that things have improved. Good luck with the CBT!

1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

Thanks scallywag! It IS a good feeling that I have gotten mostly better. Still a ways to go with the anxiety and fear, but I'm up for the fight to get rid of it. It's a lot better than the withdrawal where there wasn't much I could do to get rid of it, other than be patient.

Do you guys think going up a bit more might stop the anxiety attacks?

• Moderator Emeritus

Shortcake, it's hard to know. Your anxiety may settle with an updose or it might get worse. Only you can decide if it's worth risking the status quo. Generally if you can tolerate the symptoms you have at their current level, it's better to hold.

1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

I'm honestly having a hard time with the anxiety attacks. I can't live like that. 50/50 chance of having one everytime I go out? I'm hoping the cbt will cure that and talking to this other psychologist. But if not, then I don't know what else to do.

I wish there was a way to know if going up would help or not. Reinstating definitely helped.

I'm not sure if I just hit another wave or not. Again, right as my period is due. I haven't been feeling well today (cold going around), plus period due, so my anixety is up. Woke up at 3am with a pounding headache, feeling sick to my stomach, and panicky. It's been almost a month I think since the last wave so I thought I was actually done them. Trying to think positive lol.

I have this determination to get better. To stop the panic attacks. I need to be able to live my life again, to be able to go to work. I need to do it for my daughter.

• Moderator Emeritus

You could try stopping the B complex and see if the anxiety lessens a bit.  hypersensitive-to-b-vitamin-or-b-vitamin-complex

What amount of magnesium are you taking?  I take a dose morning and night.  I notice you take yours only at night.  Some people dissolve it in water and sip it throughout the day.  Magnesium

Apparently "legs up the wall" yoga position can help some people:  Yoga for calming (very simple poses can help greatly)

Also this topic:  waking-with-panic-or-anxiety-managing-cortisol-spikes

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

I cut out my b complex maybe 2 weeks ago, i take 200mg magnesium. I tried taking 2 at once one night and it gave me crazy diahrea. Should I try one morning and one night?

I've heard about legs up the wall! I will try that! I am meditating nightly, started doing progressive muscle relaxation before bed, reading self help books. Diffusing lavender or frankincense while meditating.

I ended up having to take an ativan about an hour ago. So I'm feeling less anxious but still feeling sick. This same thing happened last time I got my period, and mine is due in 2 days so probably hormones again causing it, plus not feeling well from a cold I'm fighting.

I feel so much stronger since the beginning of this withdrawal journey, but the anxiety is just being a pain. Even if I just think about going out sometimes I get overwhelmed. And i tell myself, 'youre fine! Nothing will happen. Youre okay. Its just anxiety'. But it doesnt seem to help. Its like this instant anxiety feeling. And then sometimes I'm okay.

Oh! Reading the magnesium post was eye opening! I have been taking 200mg at night, but maybe I should try taking smaller doses throughout the day. Maybe 50mg x4? Also, I had epsom salts on my list but totally just didn't pick them up today... maybe i will now.

SC.  Anxiety seems to be one of those conditions that goes along with this fast paced life that we live these days. Many seem to be struggling and of course it's so much worse in withdrawal as it seems to ramp up exponentially.

Did you try sipping the magnesium throughout the day ?   Have you tried the Epsom Salt baths ?  Deep breathing / meditation ?  Exercise

All of these natural alternatives help with no side effects. It pays to become very familiar with them for long term success.

Ali

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

What amount of magnesium are you taking? I take a dose morning and night. I notice you take yours only at night. Some people dissolve it in water and sip it throughout the day. Magnesium

Right now I take 1 of these 200mg capsules at night https://well.ca/products/quest-magnesium-bisglycinate_89509.html?cat=801

Having a hard time finding a smaller dose than 150mg, but saw this... that I could take 1/4 tsp of 4 times a day to make it to 200mg throughout the day?

https://well.ca/products/natural-calm-magnesium-citrate_78980.html?cat=801

SC. Anxiety seems to be one of those conditions that goes along with this fast paced life that we live these days. Many seem to be struggling and of course it's so much worse in withdrawal as it seems to ramp up exponentially.

Did you try sipping the magnesium throughout the day ? Have you tried the Epsom Salt baths ? Deep breathing / meditation ? Exercise

All of these natural alternatives help with no side effects. It pays to become very familiar with them for long term success.

Ali

Well my life isn't so fast paced these days, but my brain thinks it still is. The adrenaline surges when it really needs to just... not. It has definitely increased my anxoet ygoing through withdrawal. Most of my other symptoms are gone but the anxiety has staked its claim. I am currently at war with it. Using meditation, deep breathing, progressive muscle relaxation, reading self help books, cognitive therapy, and soon cognitive behaviour exposure therapy. I am all for the natural remedies over these horrible drugs.

I have 2 more months paid off work... so I need to get it more under control ao that i can get back to supporting myself and my daughter.

But if the cbt doesnt work... if the anxoety attacks dont stop and i cant go back to work, then i will have no choice but to try to up my dose. I need to do something, but will try to exhaust all other options first.

SC. This is yet another way of absorbing magnesium :

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/8321-epsom-salts-baths-another-way-to-relax-with-magnesium/

As always it is dose related - some have more success with one method over another. It is usually " trial & error " . It's just a matter of trying it to see if it works for you . Just start low and work your way up very slowly as you most likely have a sensitized system as most of us do.  

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

Just got back from my psychologist who is amazing btw... and found out the fear thing im ha ing at night is actually called hypnagogic hallucinations! So relieved there isnt actually a dead guy who lives beside my door.

• Moderator Emeritus

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management