SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Bluebird2009

Bluebird2009

Can I ask how many years you where in your medication? And is it everyone's body heals at different times rather than the longer you are on the longer the recovery?

Prozac for 18years with break in 1999 for pregnancy. Started to feel unwell with numerous problems 2015 and think I was in a tolerance to drug. Started to come off May 2016 and by June 2016 wasn't able to tolerate any medications at all. Was on Lansoprazole as and when need from 2001 but haven't had to take and wldnt have been able to take since June 2016

GP gave sertraline 25mg 6/04/17 loss of appetite, gut pain and then following morning whole body shaking and vomiting. Stopped tablet.

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bluebird2009

• mammaP

• ChessieCat

• nz11

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderator Emeritus

Everyone is different, some people here have only taken one drug for a very short time and ended up very ill. Others have taken different drugs for many years. I was prescribed my first as a teenager, diazepam. Then followed several anti depressants but I didn't take any of them for very long. Then a break from drugs for a few years and 24 years ago started seroxat which led to lots of different drugs with horrific side effects and withdrawals, ending with effexor for 13 years, tapering for the last 3. I've been off effexor for just over 2 years. I was bedridden at times and housebound for years. I actually believed I was dying and every night thought I would not wake up. Every morning was disappointed that I did.  Tapering was the best thing I did and felt better as the dose lowered but went too fast and had withdrawal. Thankfully that is over now but still tapering tramadol, and will be for about another 2 years. 

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

• Administrator

Bluebird, withdrawal syndrome is often dysautonomia or autonomic dysfunction.

Dr. Peter Breggin does not treat prolonged withdrawal syndrome.

You will need to stay calm and help yourself recover. It could take longer than you want it to. Think of it this way: You've been in an accident and you need to recover from it.

You should get that swollen gland looked at.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Everyone is different, some people here have only taken one drug for a very short time and ended up very ill. Others have taken different drugs for many years. I was prescribed my first as a teenager, diazepam. Then followed several anti depressants but I didn't take any of them for very long. Then a break from drugs for a few years and 24 years ago started seroxat which led to lots of different drugs with horrific side effects and withdrawals, ending with effexor for 13 years, tapering for the last 3. I've been off effexor for just over 2 years. I was bedridden at times and housebound for years. I actually believed I was dying and every night thought I would not wake up. Every morning was disappointed that I did.  Tapering was the best thing I did and felt better as the dose lowered but went too fast and had withdrawal. Thankfully that is over now but still tapering tramadol, and will be for about another 2 years.

Hi Mamap my big problem is that I can't even tolerate a probiotic I wonder is it withdrawal that had caused this or ahld I be tested for something. I become really ill, weak and severe tummy and feel pain and feel severely worse. Will this ease to a degree that I can eventually take something small or I'm I ruined for life?

Prozac for 18years with break in 1999 for pregnancy. Started to feel unwell with numerous problems 2015 and think I was in a tolerance to drug. Started to come off May 2016 and by June 2016 wasn't able to tolerate any medications at all. Was on Lansoprazole as and when need from 2001 but haven't had to take and wldnt have been able to take since June 2016

GP gave sertraline 25mg 6/04/17 loss of appetite, gut pain and then following morning whole body shaking and vomiting. Stopped tablet.

• Moderator Emeritus

You are not ruined for life, your nervous system is in chaos. Like Alto said, imagine you had a serious accident and need to recover. It would take time for your body to heal. It takes time for the nervous system to heal and it happens in it's own time.  I react to some probiotics and others seem to do nothing for me. Try to stick to natural probiotics like yogurt and fermented foods like saurkraut if you can eat them. 

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

• Moderator Emeritus

How are you now Bluebird? I hope you are feeling better. 

2002  effexor. 

How are you now Bluebird? I hope you are feeling better.

Hi Mammap, no I'm not feeling better, I'm really upset as my body is reacting to everything I try. I took some magnesium and tried tissue salts and became really ill. Dizzy, aching muscles, blurred vision, weakness and severe stomach pain, body jitteriness just awful. These symptoms only come with taking something. Do you think this is real autonomic dysfunction due to long term use. I was have strange symptoms for 3 years before coming off and I feel things are progressing rather than healing.

It has got to the stage that i become ill with anything I try, tissue salts are natural so I shldnt react and I can't even take a fish oil. I don't think this is normal withdrawal, do you? I can't get help anywhere

• Moderator Emeritus

Some are very hypersensitive BB,  it would probably be best for you not to try anything new. After each reaction your nervous system has to recover. Everything has to be in very tiny doses. I recently was given vitamn D with calcium from my doctor because I have osteopenia (leads to osteoporosis) They gave me terrible headaches so I stopped them. When I told my doctor she said headaches are not a side effect and to try again. I KNOW they caused the headaches, I know my body and you know yours too. Doctor's just don't get it  :angry:

The sertraline has set you back but you will get better and better.  20 years ago  I was in withdrawal for years from a cocktail of experiments with drugs for 'treatment resistant' depression. I was tested for MS and doctors were convinced that was my problem until tests showed negative. I was so very ill with dysautomnia  Then they said it was my mental illness as all tests were fine. Stupidly I started effexor when I was actually recovering but had an awful relentless wave.  I so wish I had known about withdrawal, and that I was getting close to being healed.  It was ok for a while then the side effects started. It was not long before I was housebound for years and bedridden for some of that time. I couldn't take anything either, everything affected me and I had to be very careful to read all labels for additives. Just a hint of aspartame made me really ill. I started to get better when I started tapering, but went too fast and went into withdrawal. Reinstated but it took 8 months before I was stable enough to restart my taper very very slowly. 

Now I am much better than I was but still have to be very careful what I eat and what I take. I am in a lot of pain due to physical stuff and sometimes vomit with the pain but can't take anything. I have taken tramadol for pain for 12 years and that made me very ill along with effexor and am tapering that. It is a very low dose now and isn't enough to do anything for the pain but it has an SNRI part as well as opiate and other  toxic substances so needs to be tapered very slowly or I get withdrawal which is horrid. It is  withdrawing from heroin and SNRI together. 

You will get better, take each day as it comes and get as much from it as you can. Anything that makes you smile, however small it is, keep thinking about it and that will help. It sounds corny but it is true! Each day will pass, and a new one will begin. Each of those days is one day closer to recovery. 

2002  effexor. 

Mammap who diagnosed your dysautonomia, was it a neurologist? How many years have you been in withdrawal?

Can someone give me advice, I am having a lot of symptoms that seem to be progressing. I am having problems with my swallow and severe pain in tummy after eating or using my bowel. I have been having these problems the last 3years while on the drug but are extreme now off. I feel my condition is progressing and wonder is it more autonomic problem rather than withdrawal. Is it just a coquinstance that I came off and symptoms got worse. I don't know where to turn as my GP won't listen and I feel my body is deteriorating. I can't put in weight even though I'm eating and I have weakness throughout my body. Thank you

• Moderator Emeritus

Withdrawal is an autonomic problem BB. You might find this topic interesting. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/183-dysautonomia-autonomic-dysregulation/?hl=tingling#entry1454

2002  effexor. 

Can I ask, does anyone think if I tried prozac at 1mg dose and stuck with it cld I maybe stabilise my nervous system. Really struggling as I can't get my anxiety or stress under control, I have been able to take flax seed oil and chia seeds which both have omega3, recommended by my acupuncturist but feel I need something more. I have aching shoulders and arms and numbness and pins and needles and I feel it's stress related. D I eventually stabilise on a minute dose and then withdraw under proper advice?

• Moderator Emeritus

You could try it BB but there are no guarantees it will work after so long being off it. Do you have liquid or will you make your own? It is very important that the doses are consistent.  I think I would try 0.5, and give it a few days. If you feel better then you could stick with that for a while until you are stable enough to start to taper. If it doesn't help but there are no side effects you could go up to 1mg. Yes that is right, when you are good and stable you can then start to taper slowly.  :)

2002  effexor. 

Hi. The Prozac isn't agreeing with my system and I have been taking magnesium for a few days and I'm really unwell. I think my nervous system is shutting down and I am dying slowly, I just don't know what to do anymore, my anxiety is crucifing and my body won't tolerate anything to help. My whole body is shaking uncrontrollably this morning especially after drinking water. my body is aching

Hi. The Prozac isn't agreeing with my system and I have been taking magnesium for a few days and I'm really unwell. I think my nervous system is shutting down and I am dying slowly, I just don't know what to do anymore, my anxiety is crucifing and my body won't tolerate anything to help. My whole body is shaking uncrontrollably this morning especially after drinking water. my body is aching

Hi bluebird,so sorry you are having a rough time, I am too. I hope you can have an ok day. I have tried so many supplements over the last few weeks and obviously looking for some relief from all these symptoms but no luck so far.  I even went on a juice detox for 3 days and felt soooo bad without enough calories, cant even afford to lose weight so don't know what I was thinking there. take care. x

Various antipressants from 1991 to 2016, Sertraline and many switches over the years.

Last AD's taken:

Citalopram for two weeks only May 2016  to June 2016, last AD taken and CT'd.

2012 to May 2016 Duloxitine 60mg. Doctor switched to Citalopram 20mg May 2016.

• Moderator Emeritus

I am sorry to hear that BB, how much prozac did you take? How long did you take it for? 

Did you start magnesium at the same time and how much? 

I am sorry I didn't get back to you before, I am on holiday and just having a sneaky half hour on the computer  ;)

2002  effexor. 

I took it for 4 days but was really unwell, took 1 third of a teaspoon of magnesium. Went to neurologist and he thinks I have autonomic dysfunction but needs to do some tests. He feels it was the long term being on the drug that has started my cns decline and then the shock of coming off has damaged more. The outlook isn't good he says. I don't know whether that's correct or not but do feel my nervous system is getting worse and not better. I have terrible neck, shoulder pain and muscle and joint pain down arms which is all new for me. So not hopeful at present. I have been having days where I'm in bed and I never had that before. I'm struggling but not tearful, I think this is what's happening and there is nothing I can do unfortunately. Hope you enjoy ur holiday mamma p

• Moderator Emeritus

I agree with your neurologist that the drug started the decline and withdrawal made it worse, it happens such a lot but doctors don't usually recognise it and say it is the mental illness or fibromyalgia. It does get better though, often it gets worse but then starts to improve. Your CNS will recover in time if you take good care of yourself.  Be kind to yourself and get plenty of rest with some gentle exercise. 

I had a lovely holiday thank you, just what I needed.  :)

2002  effexor. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys, hope your all getting better as time goes on. I'm wanting to know has the vagus nerve got involvement in withdrawal? I have fast heart after eating and drinking and think it's to do with this nerve. Will it go away eventually?? Anything I can do to move it on. Maybe see an osteopath??

• Moderator Emeritus

Bluebird:

You might want to use a search engine (e.g. google or bing) to search the site. Just include
site:survivingantidepressants.org  with your desired search term, such as  "vagus nerve".

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

Well people, I had an interesting chat with my GP today who now is being extremely helpful to me. He has for the first admitted that he now believes I'm hypersensitive to meds and is learning from what I'm going through. Doesn't know how to help but at least he is trying?

• 2 weeks later...
On 2014-02-07 at 2:07 PM, Fizz said:

Thank you Petu, it's heartwarming to get a reply from someone, I'm so grateful! Doctor agrees that I have every symptom of ME, has taken blood to do lots if tests to rule out other things. I know that withdrawal can mimic ME but the bowel problems, rash, itching, muscle twitching are newer symptoms that I didn't have before. Had a window today for almost an hour in the supermarket! Felt more like myself, the symptoms lessened, felt more"normal"! It was so cool! Then later on I had trippy images, weird things when I shut my eyes to have a rest. This was very scary, please has anyone else had this? Your eyes are closed but all sorts if pictures are flashing up, freaky ones. This was bad last night when I tried to sleep(3 hours) too. Random things flying through your head which seem very real. I was just about to leap out of bed and peel vegetables last night, in my head that's what I had to get done. Please has anyone had these images with eyes shut, they had been gone since the acute stage, it's awful I have them now. Hugs. Xxxxxxxxxxx

Yes I have those and I'm a year off. Terrible and I am really tired during the day but can't sleep due to the scary thoughts. Are you well now? 

Edited by scallywag
split from Fizz's intro topic

Can anyone tell me how to write on my page and also how to see other people's drug history, I can't seem to work this new site

• Moderator Emeritus

Seeing Signatures

You likely mistakenly hit a little grey x in the lower left of a post that can hide all signatures. To make them visible again, you need to go to the user settings for signatures. Just click the button below the words "View signatures." 

Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature.

Finding this page

• Setting this web page as a bookmark or favorite in your browser will help you navigate back to it.
  • There are other ways. To provide the best information, I need to know whether you are using a computer or a phone/tablet.

1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

• 3 weeks later...

Can someone help please. I have been having acupuncture for 5 months and really felt it was helpful and my morning anxiety had started to ease. She then decided to do a knew treatment on my hormones and it had went wrong, I have extreme chemical sensitivity to smells and can't even tolerate my shampoo! My weakening anxiety has started again and I'm not well after having a more peaceful time recently. Any ideas of what I can do? I feel I'm back to the wag I was in February and it's not good. Thanks

BB healing is not linear it is very common to have a good patch and then wham its back to square one. This kind of pattern can go on for years.

Don't despair .In time it will get better. This experience is teaching us all new levels of patience.

hang in there

nz11

ps have you considered changing your shampoo brand?

Edited by nz11
forgot shampoo recommendation

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

Thank you nz11, I have taken terrible depression now and can't get out of it and can't tolerate meds so I'm really struggling. I'm so frightened.

Hi Bluebird

Sorry to read about the depression you are having.  I too am struggling with it too plus brain fog and generally feeling fed up with the relentless symptoms.

Sending you love and health.

Various antipressants from 1991 to 2016, Sertraline and many switches over the years.

Last AD's taken:

Citalopram for two weeks only May 2016  to June 2016, last AD taken and CT'd.

2012 to May 2016 Duloxitine 60mg. Doctor switched to Citalopram 20mg May 2016.

On 14/07/2017 at 11:02 PM, waves12 said:

Hi Bluebird

Sorry to read about the depression you are having.  I too am struggling with it too plus brain fog and generally feeling fed up with the relentless symptoms.

Sending you love and health.

Oh I'm sorry you are suffering, it is awful what we have to go through and I hope it ends soon for us all. Best wishes. xx

• 3 weeks later...

Hi I really need help. I was doing very well recently still anxiety and episodes of trouble but coping better. My mum has caused me a very stressful time and I have have taken really unwell like I was a year ago. My gut has started to give trouble, I'm having spams in esophagus and stomach, all day anxiety and my nervous system is buzzing. Would it be safe to go back on Prozac as I don't think I will recover from this without. Urgent advice needed please as I'm so frightened and feel so unwell after coping for the past lot of months. 

can you get CBD oil?  that could really help.  I am getting some relief for nervous system disturbance from gelsemium. 1 M,  it's a homeopathic remedy you can get on internet.  there are others,  I googled remedies and tried several with some success.

many years ago given sinequan for depression bad reaction so tiny dose of meleril to balance... quit after a year or so c/t

years pass no drugs

reg doc had me try all of the  a/d bc of upset due to divorce.  couldn't handle any.  took klonopin to sleep .5 mg  2003

taper klonopin

hooked on tramadol accidentally. 2006-2008 husband had migraines and took them like candy. so i became dependent too.  c/t  2008

diagnosis of porphyria after years of symptoms,  then toxic event made me really ill.

gabapentin 300mg every 3 hours , 6x day.

propranolol   180 mg  6x / day

since 2012

clonazepam prescribed as 1 mg / day  but beginning to take more to deal with withdrawals and sleeplessness

On 2012-08-23 at 10:42 PM, Altostrata said:

Nadia, you have to trust your sense of what you can do. Yes, if it makes you very anxious and you can't sleep for several nights in a row, the activity is too stressful.

Is there any way you can sample the situation before you make a decision about it?

Hi Alto, I need some help, I was doing quite well and had even started to tolerate some supplements again but I am having major stress with my mum at the moment and my body has went backwards. The stress started it and I feel I'm back to square one trouble eating, buzzing nervous system extreme of the scale anxiety. I also thought I wld take diazepam at the weekend to help with the stress and think it had opposite effect. Is the stress making me ill and also it's not normal for me to be so stressed. Advice appreciated. Also will my nervous system settle again. I feel so ill. 

Edited by scallywag
split from topic in Symptoms: "Reducing stress"

• Moderator Emeritus

I've moved your new topic to your Intro so that all of your history is in one place.

I've also asked the other mods for their assistance.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

18 hours ago, Bluebird2009 said:

Hi Alto, I need some help, I was doing quite well and had even started to tolerate some supplements again but I am having major stress with my mum at the moment and my body has went backwards. The stress started it and I feel I'm back to square one trouble eating, buzzing nervous system extreme of the scale anxiety. I also thought I wld take diazepam at the weekend to help with the stress and think it had opposite effect. Is the stress making me ill and also it's not normal for me to be so stressed. Advice appreciated. Also will my nervous system settle again. I feel so ill. 

I think I may have developed ptsd as when I get over to sleep at but in the night I have a dream and if anyone is crying or raising voice I wake and my heart is pounding. Feeling very unwell and really need advice. Thank you

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Bluebird, I am so sorry that you are feeling so bad after improving. I can relate to what you are going through. Whenever I am in a stressful situation I feel terribly ill and just can't cope with it. The drugs and withdrawal destabilise the nervous system. Eventually it starts to correct itself but any stressors can send it off again.  

Can you make peace with your mam? I once had a terrible time with a family member. It went on and on and made me very sick when I was already suffering withdrawal. In the end I sent a bunch of flowers, even though I wasn't in the wrong. It healed the rift and my stress started to go down. We hugged it out and got over it. This ,ay not be possible for you but you will feel so much better when the stressful situation is changed. It is very likely that you could react badly to a reinstatement. If you do decide to try it I would go for a very very tiny amount, even as small just 0.5mg in case you react. I once accidentally took a full dose of effexor a year after being off and it made me ill for months, please don't take a full dose of anything.  You have come a long way and can get through this. One of my favourite mantras is 'this too shall pass' .  I promise that if you can make things better with your mam you will feel better. If you were my daughter I would hug you right back!  :wub:

2002  effexor.