SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Lead singer of The Wombats was on antidepressants

Phil

My friend was listening to this band last night and suddenly this song came on...and I was like, hey, he's talking about AD's!

(the doctors beating him up in this video is certainly a great metaphor!)

Article about his struggle here:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2011/apr/12/matthew-murphy-wombats-depression-single

Anti-D chronicles the tough weeks that followed, during which Murphy was at his lowest ebb. He is nervous about overdramatising his misery, but admits, after a deep breath: "There were days when I thought about killing myself, but couldn't because of family and friends. I'd be on a bus or train, and pray for an accident, since I didn't have the balls to do it. I thought I should have done better, I should have worked harder, but all I had done was work."

Despite this the album came together, and Murphy is incredibly proud of it. Anti-D, which has a surprisingly uplifting melody, was one of the easier songs to compose: "It kind of fell out of me. I was in Barcelona, coming off the drugs and I felt horrendous: really woeful and dizzy."

Off Lexapro since 3rd November 2011.

I like the line: "Please allow me to be your anti-depressant. . . I too am prescribed as freely as any decongestant."

Cool! Good song as well. It's great he is speaking up about his experiences.

The doctors beating him up made me laugh, I agree it's a great metaphor.

Thanks for posting this Phil.

I came off Seroxat in August 2005 after a 4 month taper. I was initially prescibed a benzo for several months and then Prozac for 5 years and after that, Seroxat for 3 years and 9 months.

"It's like in the great stories Mr.Frodo, the ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger they were, and sometimes you didn't want to know the end because how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened? But in the end it's only a passing thing this shadow, even darkness must pass. A new day will come, and when the sun shines it'll shine out the clearer."  Samwise Gamgee, Lord of the Rings, The Two Towers

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy