venlafaxine1990: help please : ( venlafaxine problems ...

venlafaxine1990

Another terrible night, again no specific trigger... Went to bed and just couldn't sleep. Felt shaky and anxious. Came downstairs and watched TV still feeling anxious. Eventually got approx 2 hours sleep.

Feeling so fed up. What is going on 😞😞😞

Venlafaxine started 2014 37.5mg - Increased over several months up to 300mg

Started reducing early 2015- reduced by 37.5mg each time

June 2016- cold turkey from 37.5mg

Re instated 37.5mg June 2016 -Increased to 75mg June 2016

Changed from 75mg Extended Release capsules to 37.5mg standard release liquid twice a day January 2017

Changed back to 75mg extended capsules February 2017

Tapered down by 12.5mg each reduction

Completely off Venlafaxine October 2020 - felt fine 

February 2021 - Sertraline 50mg for 2 days then stopped - bad reaction

February 2021- Venlafaxine XL 37.5mg for 12 days then stopped CT as couldn't sleep 

April 2021 - Re-instated Venlafaxine XL 12.5mg May 2021- increased to 25mg

June 2021  - Increased to 37.5mg

Last night I slept all night again and actually slept for 8 hours without waking at all. 

@Altostratais being so up and down a positive sign that I will stabilise? 

Changed from 75mg Extended Release capsules to 37.5mg standard release liquid twice a day January 2017

February 2021- Venlafaxine XL 37.5mg for 12 days then stopped CT as couldn't sleep 

• Administrator
On 4/20/2021 at 11:07 PM, venlafaxine1990 said:

It's strange I'm so up and down all the time. - is this just because my brain is stabilising? I'm guessing this is a good thing? 

This is probably what's happening. Be sure to take the venlafaxine at the same time each day.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

@AltostrataI hope so. Slept all night again last night. Still have that internal shaky buzzy feeling every day that comes and goes and still feeling a bit dizzy/spacey at times. 

Do you think it will take months for this to go and for me to stabilise? 

Thank you for replying x

• Administrator

How are you doing? It can take some time to stabilize, months instead of weeks, be patient.

Please add the reinstatement information to your signature.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Hi @Altostrata

I am sleeping better (fingers crossed this continues !). I have been sleeping all night most nights recently which is a massive improvement.

I am still getting the internal shaky/ buzzing/ tremor feeling but it comes and goes rather than constant so thats also an improvement.

I still feel a bit dizzy/spacey most of the day, im hoping that will settle in time. I also still have the reflux/tight throat issue but this has improved so im again hopeful for further improvement over time.

Thank you for your advice and support. Going on your experience, are these all signs that re instatement is working and I am stabilising/will eventually fully stabilise?

Thanks again, much appreciated,

C x

• Administrator

Those are signs that stabilization is taking place after reinstatement.

@Altostratalooking for some advice please.

I've been on 12.5mg reinstatement of venlafaxine for 2 and a half weeks now. I am sleeping better but the last few days my physical symptoms and anxiety have got worse. 

I have an almost constant feeling of nervousness/anxiety/churning stomach. Stomach feels like it's doing constant somersaults it's awful and makes me feel so upset 

I feel like I'm getting a bit of vertigo again like I did in January. Keep feeling like I'm moving, off balance and a bit dizzy. 

Still got the tight throat which comes and goes but very uncomfortable. 

Been quite emotional and crying a lot the last few days. 

What do you think is happening? 

Should I increase the dose? 

Is this likely withdrawal from last October that started in January and if so why have I got worse the Last few days?

Or is this just anxiety relapse and I need a higher dose? 

I'm having a really hard time and struggling to rationalise x

• Administrator

You will find that symptoms fluctuate and mutate. You will need to be patient and support your stabilization as well as you can.

Many people find fish oil and magnesium supplements helpful, see

https://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/

https://survivingantidepressants.org/topic/15483-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

You might try a little bit of one at a time to see how it affects you.

Please let us know how you're doing.

@AltostrataI'm confused as to why the vertigo like feeling has come back after having it for 3 weeks in January/February when I'm now back on the Venlafaxine?

I feel like I've gone right backwards to how I felt at the end of January with all symtoms both physical and mental. 

I'm so so scared il be like this for months / years. Trying to just take a day at a time but it's so hard with 2 young children. 

Previously when I've reduced, had withdrawals and then reinstated, it's taken between 2 and 6 weeks to re stabilise but that was with just a dose reduction and then putting it back up. This time I had been completely off the Venlafaxine for a few months before having issues. Does this mean it's likely to be a longer time to stabilise? 

Is there a chance I won't re stabilise and I'm permanently damaged? 

I'm so so scared x

• Administrator

Stabilization is not something that happens instantly. See 

What is withdrawal syndrome? 

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms 

The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

Going on and off drugs repeatedly can make your system more vulnerable to withdrawal symptoms, causing stabilization to take longer. The nervous system is not made of rubber.

What time o'clock do you take your drugs, what are their dosages? How do you feel before and after you take each drug?

58 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

Stabilization is not something that happens instantly. See 

What is withdrawal syndrome? 

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms 

The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

Going on and off drugs repeatedly can make your system more vulnerable to withdrawal symptoms, causing stabilization to take longer. The nervous system is not made of rubber.

What time o'clock do you take your drugs, what are their dosages? How do you feel before and after you take each drug?

Hi @AltostrataI take it at 9am every day. I take 12.5mg extended release. That was the last dose I had in October before stopping. Then in February I took 37.5mg for 12 days and stopped. Now just 12.5mg.

I seem to get less anxious in the evenings. Other physical symptoms of vertigo, dizziness, internal shaking are there all day pretty much. Occasionally the internal shaking isn't as bad. Been having ringing in my ears today aswell. 

• Administrator

How do you feel after you take 12.5mg venlafaxine compared to before you take it in the morning? This may require you to observe how you feel for several hours after you take your dose.

@Altostratato be honest I don't think I feel any different after I take the Venlafaxine. The vertigo is already there before taking it, as is the internal shakiness etc. 

Im concerned that the vertigo has come back even though I have reinstated the Venlafaxine 2 and a half weeks ago. Is this a sign reinstatement was a bad idea? Or is it just because my brain hasn't really registered the reinstatement yet? 

I am sleeping so much better since reinstating so that's a positive. 

The vertigo is awful, I feel like I'm moving when I'm not. When I walk or move around it's like the floor is wavy or I'm on a boat. X

• Administrator

Please closely observe how you feel before and after you take venlafaxine.

8 hours ago, venlafaxine1990 said:

I am sleeping so much better since reinstating so that's a positive. 

This is a good sign.

Is the vertigo better or worse at any particular time of day? Dizziness is a very common withdrawal symptom.

@Altostrata I don't feel any different after taking it. The physical symtoms are already there before taking it and they seem to just be up and throughout the day. I find later at night I'm a bit more relaxed because I don't have to worry about the kids or work but still feeling physically rubbish. There's no pattern to the symptoms I just have days / hours that are better than others, sometimes in the morning, sometines in the afternoon. Doesn't make any difference what I'm doing either.

Its so confusing because I don't know if this is a delayed withdrawal from October that started in January and has Been up and down because of changing the tablets around. Or if this is just a return of my original anxiety. How would I know the difference? 

I've been on the 12.5mg Venlafaxine extended release for 3 weeks and 1 day now. Sleeping has massively improved and I'm now sleeping all night. But the anxiety and that churning nervous feeling in my stomach is still there most days. The internal shaking / buzzing feeling is also still there, but I do think that's improved. It was constant before whereas now it comes and goes throughout the day. 

The vertigo is pretty bad at the moment and the tight throat feeling also comes and goes. 

Do you think this is all signs of a slow stabilisation?? 

Should I keep on the 12.5mg or increase the dosage? 

I really appreciate the support you have given, you're a wonderful person to be giving back after your own experience, its very kind. 

Thanks 

C x

Hi just a quick observation, I found that taking venlafaxine in the morning, about 6 or 7 worked best for me. It may help with your sleep at night taking it a little earlier. Initially I was taking in evening and had probs sleeping.  If I took it early or later than that by more than an hour, I had horrendous side effects, heaven forbid if I forgot.. 

Current: Nothing...

December - January: Perindopril erbumine 4mg, Ondansetron 8mg prn, temazepam 10-20mg prn.

November : Perindopril erbumine 4mg, ceased Mirtazipine to start Nortriptyline, over 3.5 weeks got to 50mg then had to cease due to side effects...

October : Mirtazapine 15mg, Perindopril erbumine 4mg, Ceased Lamotrigine due to rashes.

July - October: Mirtazapine 15mg, Lamotrigine 12.5 - 25mg, Perindopril erbumine 4mg, Zolpidem tartrate 10mg prn 

June - July: hospital admission, 5 weeks, Mirtazapine 30mg, clonidine 50mcg, melatonin 4mg

March - June: Mirtazapine 45mg, quetiapine 100mg, melatonin 2mg, once daily (night time). Diazepam 2mg as required, Max 2 day.
2021 Hospital admission February, 5 weeks. Venlafaxine 225mg - 300mg - 0mg in 13 days. Worst 3 weeks of my life. Quetiapine 100mg up as high as 300mg combination of ir and xr, as well as being listed as 1st line prn... 100mg at discharge, Lorazepam 2nd line prn, mirtazapine 45mg.

November 2020 hospital admission 16 days, venlafaxine reduced to 375mg, mirtazapine introduced, titration to 45mg, quetiapine 100mg ir, lorazepam prn.

2019-2020 venlafaxine 450mg, morning. OTC codeine meds ceased in Australia. Titration with diazepam. Prescription codeine meds, alcohol augmentation... 

2015-2019 venlafaxine 375mg, morning, titration with diazepam prn.. OTC codeine based meds for headaches and migraines. 2015 fluoxetine, olanzapine, temazepam all ceased 2013-2015 lexapro 10mg ceased

• Administrator
12 hours ago, venlafaxine1990 said:

I've been on the 12.5mg Venlafaxine extended release for 3 weeks and 1 day now. Sleeping has massively improved and I'm now sleeping all night. But the anxiety and that churning nervous feeling in my stomach is still there most days. The internal shaking / buzzing feeling is also still there, but I do think that's improved. It was constant before whereas now it comes and goes throughout the day. 

The vertigo is pretty bad at the moment and the tight throat feeling also comes and goes. 

Do you think this is all signs of a slow stabilisation?? 

Yes.

You will need to be patient and let your nervous system stabilize.

You can tell you experienced withdrawal because you have symptoms different from your usual anxiety and they're slowly going away with reinstatement, which is what we expect from reinstatement.

Many people find fish oil and magnesium supplements helpful, see

https://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/

https://survivingantidepressants.org/topic/15483-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

You might try a little bit of one at a time to see how it affects you.

Please let us know how you're doing.

@AltostrataI've reduced my omeprazole by 10 beads which is approx 20% of the dose. Did this about 6 days ago I think although can't remember exactly. Could reducing omeprazole affect the Venlafaxine at all do you think? 

@Altostrata also... I had a bad night with anxiety last night. Was lying in bed and my mind was just spinning with all sorts and just couldn't quieten my mind. Felt really shaky and on edge. Got up and went downstairs to see if a change of scenery would help, it didn't. I ended up taking a 2mg Diazepam that I had in the cupboard. I then went to sleep not long after. It didn't completely take it away, but it did take the edge off the anxiety.

Feeling quite anxious again this morning with the stomach churning feeling. So tempting to take another diazepam but don't want to get addicted to something else x

• Administrator

Omeprazole? Please put ALL your drugs in the Drug Interactions Checker https://www.drugs.com/drug_interactions.php

and copy and paste the results or a link to them in this topic.

It's unlikely reducing omeprazole did anything bad.

Had you previously suffered from anxiety?

On 5/8/2021 at 2:31 AM, Altostrata said:

Omeprazole? Please put ALL your drugs in the Drug Interactions Checker https://www.drugs.com/drug_interactions.php

and copy and paste the results or a link to them in this topic.

It's unlikely reducing omeprazole did anything bad.

Had you previously suffered from anxiety?

@Altostratahave put in to drugs checker and says no interaction found. The omeprazole is a PPI acid reducing tablet for the tight throat symptom.

Yes I started the tablets in the first place due to anxiety. Although my symptoms are very similar to when I've reduced doses previously hinting that this is withdrawal, I do worry this is just a relapse of anxiety and I need a higher dose to stabilise.  I just want to be well for my kids, it's starting to really get me down. 

I'm considering increasing to 2 of the mini tablets which would make my dose 25mg. Is this an awful idea??

Thanks 

• Administrator
On 5/6/2021 at 1:26 AM, venlafaxine1990 said:

I find later at night I'm a bit more relaxed because I don't have to worry about the kids or work

This suggests your old habit of anxiety may be affecting you during the day. Your nervous system got shaken up by withdrawal and now you are experiencing everyday stresses more acutely.

Have you always had health anxiety?

You will need to identify which symptoms are withdrawal symptoms and which are the habits of mind that caused you to seek drug treatment in the first place. Strongly recommend you get therapy or counseling to learn to manage your reactions of anxiety.

Other than that, it appears reinstatement is working. I don't know what an increase in dosage might do. Often more is too much. You might try an increase to 15mg and see what happens. You will need to be patient and allow your nervous system to settle down.

@Altostrata I've had health anxiety since having cancer in 2014. My mind gets obsessed with symptoms and worrying I have something bad wrong with me. I also panic I won't get better and get irrational.

Its hard to know what is an anxiety symptom and what is withdrawal. I spend ages trying to work out what symptom comes from what and then I get overwhelmed with it all and feel fed up. 

I've started hypnotherapy which is relaxing and I'm on the waiting list for CBT therapy but that will be a few months yet. 

Last night when I was laying in bed I got a few mild brain zap like feelings. I've only ever had those before when I've stopped the medication and for a short time. How come I would have got them last night when I've not had them for a couple of months and I'm now almost 4 weeks in to reinstatement? 

Thanks x

• Administrator

It sounds to me like you are ramping up your symptoms with health anxiety. I would seek coaching in techniques to manage this.

I would not change the venlafaxine dosage, leave well enough alone.

27 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

It sounds to me like you are ramping up your symptoms with health anxiety. I would seek coaching in techniques to manage this.

I would not change the venlafaxine dosage, leave well enough alone.

OK il take your advice and keep the dosage the same, thank you. 

Do you think the brain zaps are a bad sign about the re in statement? 

Do you think il still stabilise on this dose? 

Thanks 

• Administrator

1 hour ago, Altostrata said:

Will do, thank you. 

Thought I'd list out current symptoms... 

Vertigo - pretty bad and constant. Feels like I'm on a boat all the time. 

Tight throat feeling - comes and goes whereas used to be constant so an improvement 

Brain zap feeling - only mild but a new symptom 

Internal shaking /buzzing - still there but comes and goes rather than constant so an improvement 

Sleep - improved. Mostly sleeping all night 

Fatigue - improved but still there 

Anxiety surges/ nervous feeling in stomach - comes and goes rather than constant 

Ringing in ears - still there 

Getting teary and upset - comes and goes in waves but is worse when physical symtoms are worse as I get so upset over them 

• Administrator

Yes, those are symptoms of withdrawal syndrome.

@venlafaxine1990 Do you have an update, since it has been almost a month? I have very similar symptoms, which are quite debilitating. I never even came off, only got down to 21mg. The nausea and insomnia are terrible. I've recently made some increases, hoping for relief. On May 1st I did an increase and had about 6 days that I felt so good, like me. It was so nice, yet short lived :( It does give me hope that it is still possible, but like you said, the ups and downs are so exhausting. 

Just this past Saturday I went back to 37.5mg

I was getting fearful for my job and I have to work. Praying I stabilize on that. 

Would love to hear an update if you stabilized?

Effexor 75mg 2007

2014 dropped to 37.5mg per MD. Back to 75mg in 4 days. 

February 2020 began slow taper 7-10% monthly 75mg-12.20.20 23.75mg

1.7.21 22.45mg, 1.28 21.1 mg, Received COVID vaccine Pfizer- had increase heart rate which led to panic attack, nausea, lost appetite.

5 days of severe panic/anxiety after 

1.31.21 increased 22.9mg, 2.25.21 increased 23.25mg, 3.14.21 22.5mg

3.23.21 22.125mg, Had a sudden loss of family member. Loss of appetite, anxiety, nausea 

3.25.21 Increased 22.5mg, 4.8.21 increased 23.625 mg, 4.19.21 increase 24.75 mg

5.1.21 Increased 31mg (had a few good days and felt hungry) 5.15.21 Increased 37.5mg (emotional numbness set in) June 5.21 Increased 43.75mg June 15.21 Increased 50mg 

Since 2007 I have also had alprazolam 0.25mg prescribed, but use infrequently.

• 2 months later...

Hi @Altostrata

sorry I haven’t been on here for a while. I found I was getting a bit obsessed with reading stories and worrying myself that I would take years to get better so tried to avoid it for a while.

I am now taking 37.5mg. I felt this was the right thing to do, whether or not it was I don’t know, but at the time it felt right as I felt very anxious.

im still not better. I’ve had good days and even several good days in a row where I thought things had got better but then it all goes back downhill again. 

My vertigo has calmed down at the moment but seems to come and go. Currently having brain zaps that seem to have gotten worse over the last week. I went on holiday and whilst there felt like things were settling down. I had just 1 alcoholic drink and the next day didn’t feel right. It’s gone downhill since!!

The brain zaps have gotten worse and it feels like withdrawal I’ve had before although I don’t understand why when I’m taking 37.5mg daily at the same time everyday.

still get anxious and internal shaking although that comes and goes. Feel like pressure in my head and my ears are ringing loud, probably the worst my ears have been. 
also getting burning sensation in feet and legs and struggle to regulate body temperature- going from hot to cold all the time. 

im so fed up. The brain zaps I had from stopping earlier in the year but they stopped. They came back in may a few weeks after reinstatement. And now a month after increasing to 37.5mg they are worse. 

I just don’t know what to do. Shall I stick with this 37.5mg and know it will eventually settle? As I do have good days. Or do I increase ? Or reduce? My head is spinning and I’m so fed up with feeling unwell. This has been going on (up and down) for months now and not sure how much longer I can cope !!

Will I eventually settle on the 37.5 do you think ? Is it likely the brain zaps will stop? 

I’m so scared I’ve permanently damaged myself and I just know I can’t spend the rest of my life like this.

Would really appreciate any support and advice you can offer. Thank you x

On 5/17/2021 at 8:08 PM, FarmMom said:

@venlafaxine1990 Do you have an update, since it has been almost a month? I have very similar symptoms, which are quite debilitating. I never even came off, only got down to 21mg. The nausea and insomnia are terrible. I've recently made some increases, hoping for relief. On May 1st I did an increase and had about 6 days that I felt so good, like me. It was so nice, yet short lived :( It does give me hope that it is still possible, but like you said, the ups and downs are so exhausting. 

Just this past Saturday I went back to 37.5mg

I was getting fearful for my job and I have to work. Praying I stabilize on that. 

Would love to hear an update if you stabilized?

So sorry I didn’t reply. I came off the site for a while as I got a bit obsessed with reading stories and getting upset and worrying.

how are you doing now?

I have good days and bad days but bad days can be pretty bad x

19 minutes ago, venlafaxine1990 said:

So sorry I didn’t reply. I came off the site for a while as I got a bit obsessed with reading stories and getting upset and worrying.

how are you doing now?

I have good days and bad days but bad days can be pretty bad x

I'm having a downtime right now. I'm up to 50mg as of June 12th. On June 27th I felt better and had 3 straight weeks of feeling amazing. Last Thursday anxiety and dizziness came back and now I'm back in a wave. Fatigue, no appetite, anxiety, dizziness. It is so hard. 

I was praying the the 3 weeks were a sign of stabilizing and then regressed. Sometimes I get relief in the evenings. 

Effexor 75mg 2007

1.7.21 22.45mg, 1.28 21.1 mg, Received COVID vaccine Pfizer- had increase heart rate which led to panic attack, nausea, lost appetite.

3.23.21 22.125mg, Had a sudden loss of family member. Loss of appetite, anxiety, nausea 

5.1.21 Increased 31mg (had a few good days and felt hungry) 5.15.21 Increased 37.5mg (emotional numbness set in) June 5.21 Increased 43.75mg June 15.21 Increased 50mg 

On 7/28/2021 at 12:24 PM, FarmMom said:

I'm having a downtime right now. I'm up to 50mg as of June 12th. On June 27th I felt better and had 3 straight weeks of feeling amazing. Last Thursday anxiety and dizziness came back and now I'm back in a wave. Fatigue, no appetite, anxiety, dizziness. It is so hard. 

I was praying the the 3 weeks were a sign of stabilizing and then regressed. Sometimes I get relief in the evenings. 

It’s just awful isn’t it. I’m so fed up of being so up and down. When things get better I think that’s it and then it all goes downhill again. 
I worry I’m stuck like this forever x

1 hour ago, venlafaxine1990 said:

It’s just awful isn’t it. I’m so fed up of being so up and down. When things get better I think that’s it and then it all goes downhill again. 
I worry I’m stuck like this forever x

I do too. Just yesterday I thought is this how it will be the rest of my life? And the worst is I feel bad longer than good, so when I go back to a bad place I wonder how long I will be there. So sorry we are both going through this 😢

Effexor 75mg 2007

Hi @FarmMom and @venlafaxine1990. I’m a fellow “Effexorite” (just made that word up - hope it doesn’t sound too stupid).  

The ups-and-downs you are describing sound like the Windows and Waves pattern of stabilization:

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/82-the-windows-and-waves-pattern-of-stabilization/

Unfortunately, it’s normal. You feel fine and then, for no apparent reason, you feel WD again.  As difficult as it may be to accept, it’s a good thing - it means your brain is repairing itself.  You won’t always be this way - your brain is fixing itself all the time. 

2004 - prozac then wellbutrin (don't recall dosages)

2005 - 150 mg Effexor Rx (or generic equivalent)

April 28, 2021 first day without Effexor after very rapid titration off (probably equivalent to CT).

July 23, 2021 Reinstatement of ~3mg of Venlafaxine ER (~8.9mg of capsule material).

50 mg Chelated Magnesium, 4X a day

1000mg DHA+EPA Fish oil 2X day