SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Alphie's Daughter: tapering advice for her

Alphie

I would appreciate assistance on tapering.  My daughter is taking Zoloft 200 mg, Topiramate 25 mg (mood stabilizer), and Trazadone 50 mg (sleep aid).  

I have done extensive research trying to find which medication to start the tapering 10% method first, second and then third. I've not discovered any information on which one to start with and the sequence order.

Would I start with the Zoloft first, the Topiramate second, and then Trazadone last?  Or should I have her start with Topiramate first?   What are your thoughts of tapering the Zoloft to 100 mg and then starting the Topiramate taper?

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Edited by scallywag
tags

Alphie's Daughter

1/9/12: Prozac-discontinued

10/17/14: Lexapro-discontinued

4/14/15 Cymbalta-discontinued

5/29/15: Zoloft-started at started @100 mg/increased to 200 mg

4/30/15: Trazadone-50 mg

6/30/15: Topiramate-25 mg

• Administrator

Welcome, Alphie.

Is your daughter a minor? Is she taking trazodone for sleep? For what symptoms was topiramate prescribed, and when? Was it after she was taking the Zoloft?

When did she start each drug?

Please read Taking multiple psych drugs? Which drug to taper first?

Most likely, your daughter will want to taper Zoloft, the most activating drug, first. See Tips for tapering off Zoloft (sertraline)

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Hi Altostrata.

My daughter, currently 19 years of age, started with Prozac 4 1/2 years ago (14 years of age).  When she had severe side effects, her dosage was upped, upped, upped.. ...Until she attempted suicide.  Had I known then what I know now about this poison, I would have had stopped...halted....blocked.  

She had a week long stay in the hospital changing her med to Remeron, a short run.  Since then, doctors have tried Wellbutrin, Lexapro, and Cymbalta.   

May 2015 she started Sertraline/Zoloft which her doctor has continued upping to her current dosage of 200 mg.  And, since she had had difficulty sleeping due to the Zoloft, she was prescribed Trazadone to help her sleep. In addition, she has gained an incredible amount of weight from the Zoloft so her Psychiatrist prescribed Topiramate 25 mg.   

I am so angry these doctors prescribe these poisons, especially to children. In addition, I blame myself for not being better informed.  I'm moving on.  I was told by her Psychiatrist she could stop at any time.  I've expressed concern for the side effects she's been experiencing along with tapering off these meds.  He told us during our last visit we could taper off all 3 medications in 4 weeks with no more than flu-like symptoms if anything from discontinuing.  Ugh!

Since my cold turkey from Cymbalta in 2015 and living in hell from withdrawal, to my relief I found your website recently along with many other lifesaving resources.   

I've found a Psychiatrist who will assist my daughter in safely tapering off her medications.  Her first appointment is next week.  

I thought it best to taper the Trazadone last since it aids her sleep.  I thought it best to taper Zoloft first and then Topiramate second.  However, I've been thinking of perhaps tapering Zoloft down to 100 mg and then taper the Topiramate.  Then going back to tapering the remaining Zoloft.  Lastly, tapering the Trazadone.   

I would appreciate any and all recommendations and helpful tips you have.  In addition, could you give me a better explanation the process in tapering by 10%?  Is it 10% of 200 mg for the entire taper, each drop lasting 4 weeks?  The process in the blog left me feeling more confused.

Thank you for your help.   

Alphie's Daughter

• Moderator Emeritus

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Administrator

Alphie, sadly, that is a very typical story of inappropriate prescription of psychiatric drugs leading to overmedication.

It sounds like your daughter had an adverse reaction to Prozac. The SSRIs have warnings on them about adverse effects on adolescents. The appropriate treatment is to minimize the drug, not increase it. In addition, the doctor prescribed more drugs to counter the effect of other drugs. This is a drug merry-go-round.

That she gained weight is a sign the drugs are interfering with her sugar metabolism.

Since the Zoloft broke up your daughter's sleep, it makes more sense to reduce the Zoloft first. The 10% reduction should be calculated on the last dosage; the amount of decrease keeps getting smaller. The first reduction from 200mg Zoloft would be 20mg. The second would be 10% of 180mg, or 18mg.

Zoloft comes in a liquid form for tapering. Taking part of the dose in tablet form and part in liquid form makes the conversion from tablet to liquid easier.

How long has she been taking topirimate? Has is done her any good?

Please let us know of the taper schedule the new psychiatrist recommends. Most likely, it will be faster than the 10% method.

You might also want to put all your daughter's drugs in the Drug Interactions Checker https://www.drugs.com/drug_interactions.html

Please copy and paste the results in this topic.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Altostrata,

11/9/12: Prozac

10/17/14: Lexapro

4/14/15 Cymbalta

5/29/15: Zoloft

4/30/15: Trazadone

6/30/15: Topiramate

My daughter has been taking Topiramate since 2015 2 years this coming June.  He prescribed it to reduce weight gain from the Zoloft. It hasn't helped a great deal probably due to the fact he keeps upping her dosage of Zoloft because her side effects  continue to worsen. Because her side effects worsen, you would think the Psychiatrist would reduce the Zoloft.  Instead, he ups her dosage and adds more drugs.  

Here, I'll prescribe you this drug.  Because you're having side effects from this drug, I'll prescribe another drug.  Oh, and because your'e having side effects from that drug, I'll prescribe another drug.  All the while the drug she was first prescribed isn't working and only worsening her symptoms.  Good grief!!!! These Psychiatrists have no conscience. Quacks!!! 

So, you recommend tapering Zoloft first?  Also, I wasn't aware it comes in a Liquid? Interesting.  I had called a Pharmacist about compounding Zoloft.  You would think they would have told me Zoloft comes in a liquid.  If that is the case, wouldn't it be much cheaper than compounding? What would I ask the Pharmacist?

Lastly, I'm not understanding how to use this website.  You requested I copy and paste.  Not sure how I would do that with replying to your post and continuing this thread.  It's confusing.  Could you assist me with this?  

I appreciate you guidance, Altostrata.

Alphie's Daughter

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Alphie,

Please Create Your Signature.  Please put the heading Alphie's daughter.  Please include details for the last 12-18 months of  all drugs, dates, doses and discontinuations & reinstatements.  If you can't remember dates, please write it as "early March" or "mid-August".  Please provide a summary of any drugs prior to that which can just be listed with start and stop years. Please include all prescription, non-prescription drugs and supplements you are currently taking. Phone Instructions:  Withdrawal History Signature. Please also remember to update it with date and dose whenever make a change so that it remains current. Thank you.

Interactions between your selected drugs

Major trazodone sertraline

Applies to: trazodone, Zoloft (sertraline)

Using traZODone together with sertraline can increase the risk of a rare but serious condition called the serotonin syndrome, which may include symptoms such as confusion, hallucination, seizure, extreme changes in blood pressure, increased heart rate, fever, excessive sweating, shivering or shaking, blurred vision, muscle spasm or stiffness, tremor, incoordination, stomach cramp, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. Severe cases may result in coma and even death. You should seek immediate medical attention if you experience these symptoms while taking the medications. Talk to your doctor if you have any questions or concerns. Your doctor may already be aware of the risks, but has determined that this is the best course of treatment for you and has taken appropriate precautions and is monitoring you closely for any potential complications. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Moderate trazodone topiramate

Applies to: trazodone, topiramate

Using traZODone together with topiramate may increase side effects such as dizziness, drowsiness, confusion, and difficulty concentrating. Some people, especially the elderly, may also experience impairment in thinking, judgment, and motor coordination. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with these medications. Also avoid activities requiring mental alertness such as driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medications affect you. Talk to your doctor if you have any questions or concerns. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Moderate sertraline topiramate

Applies to: Zoloft (sertraline), topiramate

Using sertraline together with topiramate may increase side effects such as dizziness, drowsiness, confusion, and difficulty concentrating. Some people, especially the elderly, may also experience impairment in thinking, judgment, and motor coordination. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with these medications. Also avoid activities requiring mental alertness such as driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medications affect you. Talk to your doctor if you have any questions or concerns. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Interactions between your selected drugs and food

Moderate trazodone food

Applies to: trazodone

Alcohol can increase the nervous system side effects of traZODone such as dizziness, drowsiness, and difficulty concentrating. Some people may also experience impairment in thinking and judgment. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with traZODone. Do not use more than the recommended dose of traZODone, and avoid activities requiring mental alertness such as driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medication affects you. Talk to your doctor or pharmacist if you have any questions or concerns.

Moderate sertraline food

Applies to: Zoloft (sertraline)

You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with sertraline. Alcohol can increase the nervous system side effects of sertraline such as dizziness, drowsiness, and difficulty concentrating. Some people may also experience impairment in thinking and judgment. Talk to your doctor or pharmacist if you have any questions or concerns.

Therapeutic duplication warnings

Therapeutic duplication is the use of more than one medicine from the same drug category or therapeutic class to treat the same condition. This can be intentional in cases where drugs with similar actions are used together for demonstrated therapeutic benefit. It can also be unintentional in cases where a patient has been treated by more than one doctor, or had prescriptions filled at more than one pharmacy, and can have potentially adverse consequences.

Duplication Antidepressants

Therapeutic duplication

The recommended maximum number of medicines in the 'antidepressants' category to be taken concurrently is usually one. Your list includes two medicines belonging to the 'antidepressants' category:

• trazodone
  • sertraline (active ingredient in Zoloft (sertraline))

Note: The benefits of taking this combination of medicines may outweigh any risks associated with therapeutic duplication. This information does not take the place of talking to your doctor. Always check with your healthcare provider to determine if any adjustments to your medications are needed.

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

• Administrator

Alphie, you need a new doctor. 

If your daughter was having side effects from Zoloft, the psychiatrist should have reduced the dosage rather than add drugs to counter side effects and add their own side effects.

Any doctor can prescribe these drugs, it doesn't have to be a psychiatrist. Either Zoloft liquid or a compounded liquid require a prescription.

To taper Zoloft, it's best to start with a dose that's a combination of tablet and liquid. This eases the transition to a liquid. 

Please read Tips for tapering off Zoloft (sertraline)

You will also need to have a good talk with your daughter and let her know that drug changes sometimes are difficult. She may have to stay calm and manage some uncomfortable symptoms. But being on all those drugs unnecessarily isn't good for a person, either, and if she doesn't feel well while taking them, reducing the dosages probably will make her feel better.

Please make sure she feels confident in the tapering process and will let you know if she feels any change in her symptoms. 

Please let us know how you're doing.

I'm terrified, feeling hopeless, and don't know how to proceed with assisting my daughter with her tapering.  

I did a great deal of searching several months ago to find a holistic Psychiatrist who could assist my daughter in tapering.  Some doctors don't accept insurance, some have retired, some don't accept patients under 25 years of age, some have moved and I cannot find.  I finally found a Psychiatrist and talked with him over the phone.  He said he had helped many folks taper off meds and would be happy to assist us.  

My daughter had her appointment yesterday with this Psychiatrist to assist her in tapering.  This guy is a QUACK!!!!  He talked on and on about a book by James Gordon, repeating himself over and over.  I had to interrupt him to try and get back on track to why we were there - to assist in tapering.  He asked inappropriate personal questions about myself, my husband, and my son. He rambled on and on not making any sense.  My daughter had kindly interrupted him at another point.  He never took to time to get to know my daughter.  After an hour of rambling,  he said he would not prescribe any medication for tapering.  He stated he would need to see her several times before making a determination whether or not discontinuing the meds  would benefit her or not.   Another controlling Con Man! 

So, we are at square one.  What a big set back.  I don't even know what to do at this point.  My daughter is feeling hopeless as well.  

Do, we go from one Psychiatrist to another asking if he/she will assist us in tapering?  And if so, will he/she do is safely?  I don't know what to do.  There's so many jokers out there.  

Most doctors push the poison.  Finding one who doesn't is difficult.  Finding a doctor who knows how to safely taper is even more difficult.  What do I do?  Help!

Alphie's Daughter

Because she is on 200 mg Zoloft (2- 100 mg tablets), would we get the 100 mg tablet and then for the other portion of 80 mg, would she take this in liquid form?  

So, 100 mg tablet plus 80 mg liquid dosage per day?  Or do you recommend another method?  Not sure what you mean.

Also, I tried to download the spreadsheet from here (SA) to enter in the 10% tapering and it wouldn't allow me to open it/download it.  Is there another spreadsheet or can you assist me in the correct tapering method of 200 mg Zoloft?

Thank you! 

Alphie's Daughter

• Moderator Emeritus

"Most doctors push the poison.  Finding one who doesn't is difficult.  Finding a doctor who knows how to safely taper is even more difficult."

That is exactly why SA exists and why there are so many members and why the site is very busy.  You can get the information support you need here, as long as you can get the scripts needed, which any doctor can do (you don't need a psychiatrist).

How do you talk to a doctor about tapering and withdrawal?

What should I expect from my doctor about withdrawal symptoms?

Have you read:  Tips for tapering off Zoloft (sertraline)See Post #1:  There is excellent information about how to get your required dose by various methods.

• Moderator Emeritus

Thank you!  Feeling a little less anxious.    One foot in front of the other.  Just need to find another doctor to prescribe for tapering.  

What do you recommend my daughter start with?  Shall I have her taper at 10% every 3 weeks until she gets down to perhaps 100 mg?  Then go slower by tapering 10% every 4 weeks?  This is going to be a long haul.  And then, she'll need to taper the other 2 poisons.  I want her to be safe.  I love her so much.  She's my world.  

Would I ask the doctor to prescribe 100 mg tablets and 80 mg liquid for 3 weeks for 1st taper?  Then, the next taper for 3 week period would be 100 mg tablets with 72 mg liquid Sertraline?  Then, the next taper would be 100 mg tablet with 64.8 liquid?  And so on?  

I'd like to be sure I know how to do this.  I ct'd and am in hell myself.  Cognitively impaired due to wd.

Can't thank you enough.  

Alphie's Daughter

• Moderator Emeritus

As requested previously, please make a drug signature for your daughter.  It means that we don't have to sift through the posts trying to find the information, and possibly missing something.  Thank you.

She may be able to taper faster than the 10% every 4 weeks but she will need to listen to her body.  It may be helpful if she can keep notes on paper and rate her symptoms:

Keep Notes on Paper

Rate Symptoms Daily to Check Patterns and Progress

In Post #1 in Tips for Tapering Zoloft there is information about making your own liquid from tablets.

The first taper would be from 200mg to 180mg and the next would be 162mg (ie 180mg x 0.90), not 172mg.

200mg, 180mg, 162mg, 145.8mg, 131.2mg, 118.1mg & 106.3mg.  You don't try and get the exact dose, eg 145.8mg you could do 146mg, but remember to round up, not down.

I apologize.  Can you explain what you mean by making a "drug signature"?  

Okay.  I'm confused on the tapering dosage.  It was my understanding the dosage is calculated by 10% (.10).  

Altostrata recommended partial liquid and tablet.  Shall I have the doctor prescribe 100 mg tablet and 80 mg liquid?  Also, what are your thoughts on the duration?  What do you think about 3 weeks between tapers until she reaches 100 mg Sertraline and then tapering at a 4-weeks?  Do you think 3 weeks would be too fast?

Thank you for the "Keep Notes on Paper" reference.  I appreciate all your help.

Alphie's Daughter

• Moderator Emeritus

Please Create Your Signature.  Please put the heading Alphie's daughter.  Please include details for the last 12-18 months of  all drugs, dates, doses and discontinuations & reinstatements.  If you can't remember dates, please write it as "early March" or "mid-August".  Please provide a summary of any drugs prior to that which can just be listed with start and stop years. Please include all prescription, non-prescription drugs and supplements you are currently taking. Phone Instructions:  Withdrawal History Signature. Please also remember to update it with date and dose whenever make a change so that it remains current. Thank you.

• Moderator Emeritus

From Post #1 - Tips for Tapering Zoloft:

Unlike other oral liquid antidepressant preparations, Zoloft liquid should be mixed with water because if it is taken directly from the bottle, it is likely to cause a burning sensation in the mouth.

As it is in a 20mg per mL concentration, this means using an oral syringe to measure out the proper amount. If you wish to take 50mg, you would take 2.5mL from the bottle, drop it in a small glass of water, etc., and drink it all.

If you are taking 50mg and wish to reduce by 10% (5mg), you would take 2.25mL (45mg) from the bottle, drop it in a small glass of water, etc., and drink it all.

Personally, I would use water rather than fruit juice or soda so I can see what's left in the glass. I might even drink the mixture, fill the glass again, swirl it a bit, and drink that to make sure to get all the Zoloft out of the glass.

Make your own liquid
Many people make their own Zoloft liquid out of tablets and water. See How to make a liquid from tablets or capsules

Use a combination of tablets and liquid

Rather than switch directly to an all-liquid dose, you may wish to take part of your dose in liquid and part in tablets, gradually converting to all-liquid as you get to lower dosages. This can be very convenient and reduce any problems switching from one form of the drug to another.

For example, if you are taking 100mg Zoloft and wish to reduce by 10%, you could get a prescription for 50mg tablets and the liquid, then take one 50mg tablet and 40mg Zoloft in liquid form to total a daily dose of 90mg. Most likely, the doctor who writes the prescriptions will have to indicate "divided doses" to get the drugs covered by insurance.

• Moderator Emeritus

"Okay.  I'm confused on the tapering dosage.  It was my understanding the dosage is calculated by 10% (.10). "

The dose reduction is 10% or 0.10.  To calculate the dose you require just multiply the current dose 200mg x 0.90 or 90% (which is the remainder of 100% deducting 10%).  And the Online Tapering Calculator is set up to do it for you.  You just put 200 in the dose cell on the left hand side then click in an empty cell and the doses will be calculated.

"Also, what are your thoughts on the duration?  What do you think about 3 weeks between tapers until she reaches 100 mg Sertraline and then tapering at a 4-weeks?  Do you think 3 weeks would be too fast?"

She will need to listen to her body and record her symptoms.  It is important to throw out the calender.  It is better to get off the drugs carefully rather than quickly.  She may want to use one of the ones on this page:  Dr Joseph Glenmullen's Withdrawal Symptoms   There are versions to print out and an excel spreadsheet to use on the computer.  They have been created using the symptoms in this list:  Dr Joseph Glenmullen's WD Symptoms Checklist

She may be able to make a 10% reduction with a 3 week hold for all of her tapers down to 100mg, but if she starts to get withdrawal symptoms when she drops and they don't settle by the end of the 3 weeks it will then be better to hold for the extra week.  That is why it is important for her to keep notes, and rating her symptoms can sometimes help people to see improvements or worsening which they can't feel.

Basically when it comes to getting off psychiatric drugs we are an experiment where N=1.

Hi ChessieCat.

I created a "Signature" for my daughter as "Alphie's Daughter".  I attempted to enter "Alphie's Daughter in the upper heading "My Current Signature", but it wouldn't allow me. So, I entered "Alphie's Daughter" in the body of the post.  Hoping this is correct. 

This is confusing.  Again, hope this is correct.

Can you tell me how I would post?  Do you post to the new signature or to this posting?

Thanks.

1) On a different note, when tapering 200 mg Zoloft, you recommended combining liquid with tablet.  Can you tell me specifically the portions she should take and how the doctor would write the script? 

Do you recommend 100 mg tablet with 80 mg liquid?  Or do you recommend she take 150 mg tablet with 30 mg liquid for her first taper of 180 mg?  

2) Would a different script be needed for the next taper?  Or can the doctor prescribe for a 3-month period?  Her next 4-week dose would be 162 mg.  Do you recommend 150 mg tablet and 12 mg liquid?  Or do you recommend 100 mg tablet with 62 mg liquid?

3) How would this proceed for the remaining tapering?  

I would need a plan to calculate how much liquid Zoloft and how much tablet Zoloft would be needed over a 3-month period when she is lowering her dosage every 4 weeks by 10%. How do I proceed with liquid portion and tablet portion?

Thank you, ChessieCat. 

Alphie's Daughter

• Moderator Emeritus

Regarding the signature.  The first box you tried to type into is the existing signature (which there was none).  Now that you have created one, that is what will display in that box.  The second box is where you make changes and then save.

You've managed to do it.  Thank you.  It will now show at the bottom every time you post.  The only time you need to do anything is when there is a change in dose.  You will then click on Create Your Signature and update it with the new information (in the second box, remember to click on save at the bottom).  When you update your signature, every post you have ever made on the site will change and show the new signature.  This is important and helpful to the mods because it means we don't have to read through the topic to find the information.

• Moderator Emeritus

1) On a different note, when tapering 200 mg Zoloft, you recommended combining liquid with tablet.  Can you tell me specifically the portions she should take and how the doctor would write the script? 

Do you recommend 100 mg tablet with 80 mg liquid?  Or do you recommend she take 150 mg tablet with 30 mg liquid for her first taper of 180 mg?  

Another member recently started making Zoloft liquid from a tablet and we helped him with an easy way to do it.  He needed to get a 90mg dose.  See the following steps of how to get the dose you need:

MammaP has explained how to dissolve the tablet and how to get the dose.  (I use a kids medicine bottle, they come with a 5ml syringe. I bought the bottle of kids medicine then threw away the medicine and removed the label to avoid confusion).

If you aren't able to follow her instructions, you could get one of your parents or your sister to get what you need and show you what to do.  These are the instructions broken down into steps:

1.  Get a bottle, or jar/tub with a lid.

2  Measure 100ml room temperature or warm water into it.

3.  Drop in a tablet. Leave it till your next dose is due.

4.  Shake it well to ensure it is evenly distributed.

5.  100mg = 100ml - Use a syringe to remove 10ml and throw it away.  Or use a 5ml medicine spoon.

6.  Take the rest, which will be 90mg

7.  When you have taken it, measure 100ml of water, drop in the tablet and put on the lid ready for the next dose.

2) Would a different script be needed for the next taper?  Or can the doctor prescribe for a 3-month period?  Her next 4-week dose would be 162 mg.  Do you recommend 150 mg tablet and 12 mg liquid?  Or do you recommend 100 mg tablet with 62 mg liquid?

If you use the above method to create your own liquid from tablet you won't need a special script for liquid Zoloft.

3) How would this proceed for the remaining tapering?  

I would need a plan to calculate how much liquid Zoloft and how much tablet Zoloft would be needed over a 3-month period when she is lowering her dosage every 4 weeks by 10%. How do I proceed with liquid portion and tablet portion?

Again, this is something you won't need to worry about if you make your own liquid from tablet.

• Moderator Emeritus

Instead of using 100mg tablets to make the liquid, you could get 50mg tablets and take 100mg + 50mg + liquid to make up the dose.

• Administrator

Alphie, all you need is a doctor who is understanding and will write the prescriptions to help your daughter taper.

Does your daughter currently take two 100mg tablets per day? Does she take them at the same time? When does she take them?

What brand tablets are they? It's a good idea to keep the tablet brand constant.

For the first step, the doctor can write these prescriptions, which will cover the next 6 months at least:

• One prescription for 100mg Zoloft (or whatever brand your daughter is taking) tablets, 50mg tablets, and 25mg tablets (totaling 175mg per day) with instructions to take one 100mg+50mg+25mg tablet per day plus 5mg liquid per day for a daily dosage of 180mg.
  • AND a prescription for a bottle of Sertraline Oral Concentrate liquid ( instructions to take one 100mg+50mg+25mg tablet per day plus 5mg liquid per day for a daily dosage of 180mg.

The instructions need to specify the odd dosage of 180mg per day so insurance will cover the liquid. The liquid probably will last for months (look for the expiration date on the label; renew the prescription for the liquid a little before the bottle expires).

The second month decrease

will not need a new prescription. It will be 10% of 180mg or 18mg, resulting in a dosage of 162mg per day as one 100mg+50mg tablet per day plus 12mg liquid per day for a daily dosage of 162mg.

(You will get extra 25mg tablets in this prescription. Keep them for later.)

The third month decrease

10% of 162mg or 16mg, resulting in a dosage of 146mg per day as one 100mg+25mg tablet per day plus 16mg liquid per day for a daily dosage of 146mg.

(You will get extra 50mg tablets in this prescription. Keep them for later.)

The fourth month decrease

10% of 146mg or 14mg, resulting in a dosage of 132mg per day as one 100mg+25mg tablet per day plus 7mg liquid per day for a daily dosage of 132mg.

(You will get extra 50mg tablets in this prescription. Keep them for later.)

The fifth month decrease 

10% of 132mg or 13mg, resulting in a dosage of 119mg per day as one 100mg tablet per day plus 19mg liquid per day for a daily dosage of 119mg.

(You will get extra 25mg and 50mg tablets in this prescription. Keep them for later.)

The sixth month decrease 

10% of 119mg or 12mg, resulting in a dosage of 107mg per day as one 100mg tablet per day plus 7mg liquid per day for a daily dosage of 107mg.

(You will get extra 25mg and 50mg tablets in this prescription. Keep them for later.)

The seventh month decrease
10% of 107mg or 10mg, resulting in a dosage of 97mg per day. Take as one 100mg tablet (or 2 50mg tablets) per day.

The eighth month decrease -- use those 50mg and 25mg tablets
10% of 100mg or 10mg, resulting in a dosage of 90mg per day. Take as one 50mg and one 25 mg tablet per day.plus 15mg liquid per day for a daily dosage of 90mg.

and so forth.

Get a new prescription from the doctor when you need more 50mg or 25mg tablets and when the prescription for the liquid becomes outdated.

Altostrata, thank you for clarifying the step-by-step process for reducing Zoloft/Sertraline monthly, specifically the amount of tablet and liquid portions to take.  My daughter does indeed take 2- 100 mg tablets Sertraline per day in the morning.  Do you recommend she continue with this regime specifically taking it in the morning?

Also, my daughter's current prescription is Sertraline tablets.  Does Sertraline come in liquid?  If so, shall we continue with the liquid Sertraline in addition to keeping the Sertraline Tablets?    

Her current Psychiatrist, claiming it is safe to taper off all 3 Psych drugs over a 1 1/2-month period, I don't feel comfortable going back to.  He's the Quack who has continued to up her dose of Zoloft when she continues to have severe side effects, in addition to adding Topiramate and Topomax to try and counter these side effects.  I don't believe he would write scripts for 6-month period.  It's possible but not a guarantee.  He would probably mandate she come in more frequently to monitor, thus stating "I told you so"  when she's feeling the effects of discontinuing the poison.  I can hear him now saying "You will need these drugs the rest of your life.  What you're feeling is your symptoms re-appearing.  He said, when I brought up discontinuing her meds and asking what his taper method was, the only effects she would encounter from a 1 1/2 month taper off the 3 meds would be mild flu-like symptoms. Ha!

Because she is 19 years of age, her Pediatrician has stated she no longer needs to see her, kicking us out the door essentially, and recommended transitioning to an adult-GP.  I don't feel comfortable seeing her. I think she would mandate my daughter visit her monthly to monitor.  She's the quack who prescribed Prozac to my 14-year old daughter at 14 years of age.  She kept upping the dosage when she was having severe side effects, her depression and anxiety increasing, to the point my daughter attempted suicide. 

I could possibly bring her to my doctor, one who doesn't believe I'm experiencing withdrawal due to Psych drug CT.  Do you recommend I not disclose our plan to taper off her medication and request the scripts for liquid and tablet form to equal the 180 mg formula over the 6-month period?  And then, what would I tell the doctor why we no longer want to see the Psychiatrist she has been seeing?  Oh, why does this have to be so complicated?

Or do you recommend I try another Psychiatrist?  I did talk with a Psychiatrist who stated he would support/assist in tapering.  Although, that is what the last Psychiatrist, at our last week first visit with him stated; and when we arrived to her appointment said he would not assist in tapering stating he would need to see her for several months to determine if he deems it necessary for her to discontinue meds.  He changed his tune from the course of our conversation over the phone where he said her would indeed assist her in tapering to on the day of our visit stating he may or may not.  Just another Quack who wanted to manipulate and control.  Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde.

I've been searching 6 months to find a doctor who can help us and am in the same place where Iv'e started.    

Thank you for your assistance, Altostrata and ChessieCat.

Alphie's Daughter

I would greatly appreciate your advice, AltoStrata.

Alphie's Daughter

• Administrator

Yes, Zoloft comes in a liquid, by prescription. Please read Tips for tapering off Zoloft (sertraline) (4th reminder).

I suggest you find a sympathetic GP for your daughter. You do not need to see a psychiatrist to get prescriptions for psychiatric drugs. Any doctor can write the prescriptions.

Hi Alphie just read your intro thread and i am so sorry to learn of your daughters experience with the medical profession. She is not alone.

I hate to tell you this but you are going to have have to un-patient yourself. Its not easy to do...but you can do it.

The answer is not finding another psychiatrist (these people are very dangerous see the Gotzsche and Breggin quotes in my drug sig) or it will be just the same old same old bovine excrement as usual.

You need to step up and take control of this. The way out of this is an informed YOU.

Alto has given you a great detailed breakdown of how to taper. This is the best that you will get.

In contrast I  can assure you the best the medical profession will come up with is already revealed in your post above ...

" claiming it is safe to taper off all 3 Psych drugs over a 1 1/2-month period" This is the sort of nonsense that makes me feel sick in my stomach. Its this sort of  tapering advice that puts people in body bags. And from a height of 200 mg zoloft thats disgraceful. Following the advice here it may well take 4 years to taper safely from 200 mg zoloft. Such is the iatrogenic position your daughter now finds herself in.

You need a new doctor period.

However you need a new doctor simply to get your zoloft prescriptions not for any advice, insight help or responsibility-dodging-referrals. Its as simple as that.

And then, what would I tell the doctor why we no longer want to see the Psychiatrist she has been seeing?

Do you think you might be suffering Stockholm syndrome?

Okay if you have to comment just say you are not seeing them because you have made a complaint against drugging a person who is under 18 with a banned drug. Hows that for starters.

Or  : We are no longer in need of his services. Thankyou for asking.

Finally are you able to get hold of the book 'Anatomy of an epidemic' by R Whitaker. Maybe its in your local library. I sincerely urge you to get it and make the time to read it .

Check out the breggin and Gotzsche quotes in my sig below. I had already come to their conclusions even before i found their validating quotes i think you have too.

All the best

So glad you found sa

nz11

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

Alphie would you consider making a complaint

This link could be helpful

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/365-filing-a-complaint-about-your-doctor/

Also got  a feeling the black box warning extends to 24 yrs well beyond 18. But the risks are not age specific.

As Healy says the dangers are there "for all ages" and are not specific to just under 24 's

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

I am "stepping up and taking control", nz11.  And I am well informed.  I've had my nose to the books researching. 

I get it.  I understand the evil works by Psychiatrists and the poison they prescribe.  

A little bit about myself.  I was abused by Psych drugs for over 18 years and discontinued CT by ill advice.   I've found several support groups which have helped me better understand my withdrawal and help with symptoms.  And I've done a great deal of research.  BTW, I did read Breggin, "Your Drug May Be Your Problem".  

I'm now on a mission to help my daughter safely taper off her 3 meds.  I'm hoping I can get guidance and support here from SA in our journey.

It was recommended I find a holistic Psychiatrist who would help my daughter safely taper,  which I'd found here on your site.  Since this downfall,  we're  moving on to a General Doctor, my doctor, who will just prescribe the meds for her, hopefully.  She's the doctor who prescribed me my first AD when I went to her with my postpartum blues due hormonal changes.  

Thanks for help, nz11.   

Alphie's Daughter

Well i cant understand after the iatrogenic harm done to your family that you still want to see a whatever psychiatrist. As if they had something to offer you.

Just read a thread here recently of a person who went to a non drug pushing psychiatrist and left with 20mg of prozac and the intention to push them up to 40. These people are shameless.

So maybe you have already read Whitakers book?

All the best with your decisions

nz11

Recovering paxil addict

• Moderator Emeritus

Tapering in three months!? !? !?!? !? !? !? Thank GOD that you know that is unacceptable. Alphie, bless you for doing all of this to help get your daughter off psych meds!

As far as the medical profession goes, it would be very difficult for me to believe any tapering/withdrawal advice whatsoever, unless they said, "You're probably not going to be excited to hear this, but the best way to do this is go 10% per month, even though you wanted to be off these drugs yesterday." So definitely go with your instincts, intuition, and what you find on this site.

2020: After 18+ years (entire adult life) on Paxil, a dangerous doctor-led "taper" in 2015, and four years tapering off the last 1 mg thanks to SA and the Brassmonkey slide, 

I AM COMPLETELY FREE OF PAXIL! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! Forever.

2021: Began conservative, proper, CNS-respecting taper of Zoloft, led by the only expert on me -- me. Making own liquid. 5-10% plus holds.

2022: Holding on Zoloft for now. Current dose 47 mg. Hanging in, hanging on. Severe protracted PAWS, windows and waves. While I may not be doing "a lot" by outside standards, things are graaaaadually getting better

Yoga (gentle to medium); walks; daily breath practice; nutrition, fruits/veg; nature; water; EastEnders (lol); practicing self-compassion, self-care; boundaries; connection; allowing feelings; t r u s t ing that I, too, will heal. (--> may need to be reminded of this.)

"You are not alone, and this is not the end of your story." - Baylissa

• 2 weeks later...

SkyBlue, thank you.  I see you're in MN.  So am I.  

Because I was not properly instructed on how to discontinue my antidepressant, having horrific side effects from the antidepressant at the time, I cold-turkeyed, after 18 years on the poison.  I've been living in hell since.  After finding this group along with Monica Cassani's blog, I found I was suffering withdrawal from the antidepressant.  Doctors told me they had no idea what I could be suffering from.  I thought I had some mysterious disease.  Makes me ferious thinking about these quacks.  

I am now on a mission to help my daughter with tapering, the safest method, to rid her of the poison she was originally prescribed at a very young age of 14 years.  She is now 19.  

Makes me ill.  I am incredibly frightened what my daughter may go through while tapering.  She was prescribed these poisons during a critical time of her life, while the brain is still developing.  From what I've been reading, many folks, if not most, suffer severe effects while even safely tapering.  I get it.  We are all unique.  Some may suffer the effects more than others.  I don't want her to suffer.  I'm afraid!  I'm frightened!  I am really frightened!

I'm hoping I can get the guidance here to get my daughter through this safely.  This is going be a long journey.  I'm ready to do what I need to do as her mom.  

I need to be up front with my daughter while at the same time not frightening her on the possible effects she may or may not go through while tapering.  I don't know how to go about it. I really don't.  I would appreciate suggestions/recommendations from you and/or Admin here.  Thank you.  

I've got an appointment for my daughter on Wednesday (April 5th) to see my current GP to request the prescription regimen Altostrata recommended.  I'm hoping my GP will prescribe the medication.  Three Psychiatrists have refused to do so.  

Thanks again.

Alphie's Daughter

• Moderator Emeritus

My heart goes out to you Alphie, I'm so sorry for what you and your daughter are going through. I have a daughter of a similar age and could very easily be in the same situation as you. I was also drugged for years and believed in psychiatry, the chemical imbalance myth and that these drugs cured something.

With you being in withdrawal yourself, I can't imagine how hard this must be for you. Sometimes, the strength of a parents love for their child is one of the miracles of humanity I think.

I'm crying, reading your story.

We have all been so terribly mislead and abused by psychiatry and the pharmaceutical industry which backs it. I've been drug free almost 4 years now, but I'm still in shock and trying to understand what has happened, to come to terms with the truth about psychiatry and its drugs (poisons).

I hope you will be able to get some cooperation from your GP on Wednesday. If not, keep looking until you find one willing to prescribe what you need. A GP is a much safer option than any kind of psychiatrist. I will never willingly put myself in the company of a psychiatrist, of any kind, for the rest of my life. For me now, the word psychiatrist is synonymous with torturer, sadist, and executioner.

As others have said, all you need is someone willing to prescribe, there is everything here that you need to safely taper your daughter off the drugs.

At 19, your daughter is able to understand more than she did at 14, so be honest with her. Include her in your research and decisions, and keep a calm demeanor. Be optimistic about the outcome and her ability to cope with the tapering process. It may take a while, but if its slow enough, there should be minimal symptoms. If symptoms do arise, you can slow the taper further. If people are suffering severe symptoms while tapering, its a sign they are going too fast and should slow down, or hold for a while. There is no need to suffer through a painful tapering process if you listen to your body and adjust accordingly.

Its going to be ok, you will get through this. Stay calm, take things one step at a time. First goal...... finding a cooperative doctor to prescribe.

Good luck for Wednesday.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Thank you, Petunia.  

Hoping doctor will prescribe the necessary meds.  I think the doctor is going to think it's quite odd/peculiar we are coming in as  a new patient requesting psych meds to taper.   

Alphie's Daughter

• Moderator Emeritus

Alphie did you get the name of the doctor from here? If so can you tell us who it is so we can remove his name from the recommended doctors list? I hope the new doctor is understanding. If he/she refuses to cooperate you can make the liquid from tablets and not involve him. I stopped telling my doctor I was tapering, just collected my scripts and did it myself because he was useless too! 

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

Thanks, MammaP.

The doctor's name is Dr. Nels Langsten, St. Paul, MN

Folks need to know this doctor will be of no help.  He is just another manipulating drug pusher.   

Our visit with the doctor went surprisingly well this morning, although she was a bit skeptical and recommended tapering at higher doses.  We did get the prescriptions filled however.  She will be starting her first Zoloft tapered dose tomorrow of 180 mg.

Thank you for your support.  My daughter means the world to me; and I want her to be the healthy, fun loving, exuberant young lady she once was.  

Alphie's Daughter