SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

van Praag, 2014 Exercise, Energy Intake, Glucose Homeostasis, and the Brain

Sertralinsomnia

Hello,

I just found this study made on rats only unfortunattely not humans. But since some people in this forums report that exercise benefits on relieving ssri widhdrawal symptoms. Upon looking to this study, i found that exercise could contribute to homeostasis of the brain. It seems to help upregulate the serotonin autoreceptors wish are downregulated on SSR chronic use.

http://www.jneurosci.org/content/jneuro/34/46/15139.full.pdf

Exercise, Energy Intake, Glucose Homeostasis, and the Brain

Relevant parts:

Additionally, wheel running facilitates the recovery of stress-evoked disruptions in diurnal rhythms of physiology and sleep architecture (Fleshner et al., 2013; R.S. Thompsonand M.F., unpublished observations), improves corticosterone response habituation (Sasse et al., 2008), and elicits plasticity in serotonergic, noradrenergic, and dopaminergic stress-responsive brain circuitry

Regular, moderate physical activity (6 weeks wheel running) produces adaptations in the circuit that include upregulation of 5HT1A inhibitory autoreceptors on DRN cell bodies and a downregulation in 5HT2C receptors in DRN projection sites, amygdala (AMG) and dorsal striatum (DS). Together, these changes constrain the 5HT response to uncontrollable stress and prevent neural sensitization and the expression of learned helplessness behaviors.

Started zoloft 25 mg on October 2009. Started tapering May 2016 to june 2016, last week at 12,5 mg and quitCrashed 23 january 2017, severe headache and panic (never had this panic all my life) next morning.Tried to reinstate with prozac 5 mg a day on 25 January 2016, bad choice, got arrhytmias and stopped. Started propranolol 40 mg as needed on january23 - 28 Feb 2017 Tried zoloft reinstatement at 1mg didnt work, more akathisia and head pressure.

• Mentor

there are studies that have shown that exercise is better at treating depression than all of the anti depressants

and there's a lot of new research being done in neuroplasticity; exercise keeps coming up as one of the most beneficial things to do, along with learning a new skill, language, etc (challenging your brain) eating well (esp avoiding processed foods) and meditating, all help the brain to heal from injuries (strokes, concussions, etc)

to my mind, psych meds cause brain injury, so I am trying to learn as much as I can about healing from a brain injury.

I have these books on order, as well:

Bouncing Back: Rewiring your brain for maximum resilience and wellbeing by Linda Graham

Hardwiring Happiness: The new brain science of contentment, calm and confidence by Rick Hanson

Buddha's Brain by Rick Hanson

• pysch med history: 1974 @ age 18 to Oct 2017 (approx 43 yrs total) 
  •  Drug list: stelazine, haldol, elavil, lithium, zoloft, celexa, lexapro(doses as high as 40mgs), klonopin, ambien, seroquel(high doses), depakote, zyprexa, lamictal- plus brief trials of dozens of other psych meds over the years
  • started lexapro 2002, dose varied from 20mgs to 40mgs. First attempt to get off it was 2007- WD symptoms were mistaken for "relapse". 
  •  2013 too fast taper down to 5mg but WD forced me back to 20mgs
  •  June of 2105, tapered again too rapidly to 2.5mgs by Dec 2015. Found SA, held at 2.5 mgs til May 2016 when I foolishly "jumped off". felt ok until  Sept, then acute WD hit!!  reinstated at 0.3mgs in Oct. 2106
  • Tapered off to zero by  Oct. 2017 Doing very well. 
  • Nov. 2018 feel 95% healed, age 63 
  • Jan. 2020 feel 100% healed, peaceful and content
  • Dec 2023 Loving life! ❤️ with all it's ups and downs ;) 

• Mentor

you might be interested in these videos by one of my favorite Drs:

http://nutritionfacts.org/video/exercise-vs-drugs-for-depression/

http://nutritionfacts.org/video/do-antidepressant-drugs-really-work/

http://nutritionfacts.org/2017/01/26/are-sugar-pills-better-than-antidepressant-drugs/

one quote: "Putting all the best studies together, the evidence indicates that exercise, at least, has a moderate antidepressant effect, and at best, exercise has a large effect on reductions in depression symptoms and could be categorized as a very useful and powerful intervention. Unfortunately, while studies support the use of exercise as a treatment for depression, exercise is rarely prescribed as a treatment for this common and debilitating problem."

Dr Michael Gregor is one of the many drs speaking out against the big pharma, the FDA, and the many problems and conflicts of interest in our  Health, or rather, illness, system

This is one of my favorite videos-

http://nutritionfacts.org/video/uprooting-the-leading-causes-of-death/

•  Drug list: stelazine, haldol, elavil, lithium, zoloft, celexa, lexapro(doses as high as 40mgs), klonopin, ambien, seroquel(high doses), depakote, zyprexa, lamictal- plus brief trials of dozens of other psych meds over the years
  • started lexapro 2002, dose varied from 20mgs to 40mgs. First attempt to get off it was 2007- WD symptoms were mistaken for "relapse". 
  •  June of 2105, tapered again too rapidly to 2.5mgs by Dec 2015. Found SA, held at 2.5 mgs til May 2016 when I foolishly "jumped off". felt ok until  Sept, then acute WD hit!!  reinstated at 0.3mgs in Oct. 2106

• Administrator

Exercise helps your body run better and regulate its internal activity.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Mentor

Exercise helps your body run better and regulate its internal activity.

I think I read somewhere that it also helps to regulate your temperature, so I am forcing myself to get out and walk, even when I don't feel like it.

I have had such a hard time with being too hot and then too cold!

I think I had this issue even before WD, although not as pronounced.

Having been over medicated for years, I'd become quite the couch potato. :(

Did your walks helpef wiyh your insomnia?

Started zoloft 25 mg on October 2009. Started tapering May 2016 to june 2016, last week at 12,5 mg and quitCrashed 23 january 2017, severe headache and panic (never had this panic all my life) next morning.Tried to reinstate with prozac 5 mg a day on 25 January 2016, bad choice, got arrhytmias and stopped. Started propranolol 40 mg as needed on january23 - 28 Feb 2017 Tried zoloft reinstatement at 1mg didnt work, more akathisia and head pressure.

Hi all.I believe exercise is an absolute must ,the last few months I am experiencing very serious depression and yesterday I had probably the most profound depressive episode I think I've had so far .

My self critic was horrendous, nearly an audible sound of the usual negative horrible criticism.[psychiatrist  once told me I had the strongest self critic he came across ].

PLEASE believe u can exercise ,I look forward to it ,it does so much for us.I totally understand some days we are too tired .   

I put my favourite music on and I'm lost to the world while my muscles are being relieved of the stress that builds up them.

Take care, the forest and hills are calling me ,I'm off for my ramble  .

Alcohol free since February 2015 

1MG diazepam

4.5MG PROZAC.

I've always been athletic, I'd think nothing of running 6 miles or doing high intensity sprints but during this withdrawal craic I've had to moderate my activity and make sure not to overdo it. Exercise is touted as the the single most beneficial activity to optimum brain health, even before nutrition, supplements and meditation. I believe it has it's place in the treatment of Anxiety, Depression etc but it's not a silver bullet or magical panacea in the treatment of these conditions.

May 2007 - October 2007 Citalopram 20 mg od. 1st Antidepressant ever taken. No problem with fast taper and no withdrawal effects. No antidepressants for over 5 years.

January 2013 started Citalopram 20mg.

March 2014 Switched to Sertraline 50 mg od.

23rd June 2016 started taper 45mg

23.07.16 40.5mg 23.08.16 36.45mg 27.09.16 34.65mg 24.10.16 32.90mg 28.11.16 31.26mg 04.01.17 32mg 25.02.17 31mg 22.03.17 30mg 14.04.17 29mg 09.05.17 28mg 07.06.17 27mg 08.06.17 26mg 13.07.17 25mg 07.08.17 24mg 24.08.17 23mg 13.09.17 22mg 12.10.17 21mg 10.11.17 20mg 04.12.17 19mg 01.01.18 17mg 25.01.18 15mg 22.02.18 13.5mg 25.03.18 12.15mg 

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy