InNeedOfHope: Cymbalta hell - is it impossible for some people?

InNeedOfHope

• Administrator

In my experience, doctors have ALWAYS tested for UTIs before prescribing antibiotics.

I always thought arbitrarily prescribing antibiotics was a big clinical no-no -- builds resistance for no benefit, and can mask other serious illnesses.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• InNeedOfHope

• Altostrata

• Barbarannamated

• Shanti

Top Posters In This Topic

You would think so but no. I was told to start taking them as it could get worse. Based on prior experience there was no way I was taking anything until I had a culture test to confirm it. So I went home and waited. I had to go back the week after about my foot rash, I was told by another doctor he did not know, it could be foot and mouth (but my mouth was clear???) it could be something else but as my glands in my neck were enlarged I could have some anti-biotics. I again refused. I mentioned Stevens Johnsons Syndrome and he said it couldn't be that. I asked him how many cases of that he had seen and treated. He said none. I believe it is diagnosed by blood test. He told me if the pain did not got away to come back. I was shaking from pain. I was calm in my questions, I was calm in discussing what it could be. Yet, again, I suppose because of the trembling, it was brought up my pain could possibly be anxiety. I just gave up and went home. Why oh why is everything anxiety, even a purple rash on the base of your feet. Is anxiety the answer to everything?????

Sept 2010 - Citalopram 1 day

Sept 2010 - Zopliclone for ten weeks (paranoia ended a couple of months after coming off this and sleep settled down again until the last couple of months)

Ocober 2010 - Cymbalta 30mg

November 2010 - Cymbalta 60mg

February 2011 - 60mg to 30 mg (lasted 10 days)reinstated 60mg

March 2011 - Took 2 60mg tablets on one evening in error - paralysis of face, back of head, shoulder, stabbing in right kidney, lost 30% of hearing)

March - June 2011 went down quickly 1mg a day until I got stuck at 25mg, went up to 27mg, because couldn't breath.

26th June - 26mg

3rd July - 25mg

17th July - 24mg

24th July - 23mg

7th Aug - began reducing by a bead every couple of days or so went well at first then hit a wall

24th October - now on 18.5mg. Since the kidney infection at start of September, have been in constant pain and anxiety, no let up. Given Ciprofloxacin.

8th Jan 2012 17.8mg (currently reducing 0.2mg a week)

8th Jan 2012 17.6mg last reduction was 6 days ago.

15th Jan 17.4mg

21st Jan 17.2mg

HI in need,

Why Is It All About Anxiety;-

Because anxiety IS what we suffer from in wd, but the doctors fail to acknowledge as being drug induced in 95% of cases, they have little idea JUST HOW SEVERELY INTENSE THAT CHEMICAL ANXIETY CAN BE, so have little respect for our suffering.

And that is down to the lies and deceit of the drug companys, whose billions of $$$$ made from the sales of these poisons, mean far more than human life itself. Sad - but true!!

HAPPY TO TELL YOU THOUGH, THAT IT DOES INDEED GET A LOT BETTER, hang on in there, your doing a great job!!!!!!!! x

Began taking 30mg Seroxat on 15th Jan 1997 for grief issues. Remained at that dosage until Dec 05, did doctor ct, akathesia set in along with being non functional and overly emotional, brain fog. Doctor prescribed prozac, propranelol and diazeapam to counteract side effects, and told me to ct those 3 after 2.5/3 months use, induced wd seizure on 2nd day after ct. Was reinstated on seroxat 20mg in april 06, remained at that dose until Nov 07 and began a very slow taper lasting 56 months, finally DRUG FREE on 11th may 2011.

• Administrator

I got an itchy rash on my feet from Cipro.

InNeed, what happened to that purple rash on your feet?

Here's a list of side effects of Cymbalta. Just because one is rare doesn't mean you can't have it.

Here are the symptoms of Stevens-Johnson syndrome http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/stevens-johnson-syndrome/DS00940/DSECTION=symptoms and http://www.emedicinehealth.com/life-threatening_skin_rashes/page3_em.htm

How closely does it match your symptoms?

Try this symptom checker: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/symptom-checker/DS00671/SYMPTOM=2AA77691-2A5D-9994-EEB7EA33B7042F8C&TAB=Skin%2520rashes

Maybe you need a new doctor.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

InNeed ~

You are handling this SO much better than I would be

Just asked the house doc here about UTI testing and throat swabs ~they are not always used prior to antibiotics being doled out

WOW ~ive had UTIs and always had testing although I didn't witness it and of course the drug of choice is ciprofloxacin ~havent had any respiratory stuff as long as I can remember even though a head cold is called "the Flu" here in SoCA and treated w antibiotics which-of course-do nothing for all of the viral infections but do produce resistance

The medical profession scares me more every day

"Iatrogenic anxiety"

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

The purple rash has gone away at the moment. I have had it twice once on each foot, the first time being the worst. The first time was one large blotch around 3 inches i think. It was weird, crimson in colour, it did not itch. Looked like someone had spilt food dye on the base of my foot. To be honest this is one thing I will not google. One night there were blotches all over the kitchen floor, not sure if that was me, thought my dog may have cut herself but I couldnt find anything. It was only later on when I found the rash I made the connection. I have learned my lesson and I know that most research I have done has fired my anxiety and made things worse, so for now, I cant research this anymore.

I am waiting to see if it returns, I know it can be diagnosed by a blood test.

Symptoms this week are improved compared to a week ago. I made it to the shop the other day. I got to my son's parents evening tonight. I love it when I am physically able to go out. I could never have done that last week. My diary is carefully updated 3 times a day with patterns.As I see a pattern return I know what to expect and can know how long each symptom will tend to last roughly before it is time to reduce again, but this week they are definitely less intense.

I think my anxiety is down compared to before, I think so, but not sure. For me, the pain has mostly driven the anxiety and when it is manageable my anxiety tends to drop.

I wish there was another doctor, but in all honesty, I have not come across one good GP yet. I just use them for diagnostic tests at the moment and pretty much despair of them, I don't even argue the point with them anymore, I am not wasting my energy. Thank you all for your comments and support.

Sept 2010 - Zopliclone for ten weeks (paranoia ended a couple of months after coming off this and sleep settled down again until the last couple of months)

March 2011 - Took 2 60mg tablets on one evening in error - paralysis of face, back of head, shoulder, stabbing in right kidney, lost 30% of hearing)

March - June 2011 went down quickly 1mg a day until I got stuck at 25mg, went up to 27mg, because couldn't breath.

26th June - 26mg

3rd July - 25mg

17th July - 24mg

24th July - 23mg

7th Aug - began reducing by a bead every couple of days or so went well at first then hit a wall

24th October - now on 18.5mg. Since the kidney infection at start of September, have been in constant pain and anxiety, no let up. Given Ciprofloxacin.

15th Jan 17.4mg

21st Jan 17.2mg

Thank you for your kind thoughts. Compared to the last few weeks, I am doing better than I was. I am not running marathons, but getting out today and walking was massive for me, so I am thankful for that.

26th June - 26mg

3rd July - 25mg

17th July - 24mg

24th July - 23mg

15th Jan 17.4mg

21st Jan 17.2mg

• Administrator

You're doing very well, InNeed. You're going to make it.

So, no rashes anywhere? I got worried about Stevens-Johnson.

Did you get the liquid Cymbalta?

The rashes have gone now. I hope they don't come back. I have to say they were accompanied at that time by severe ankle and foot stabbing pain. I now wonder if the constriction was so tight inside that this is what caused the rash, it was like nothing I have ever seen or experienced. It's just a theory and I hope it doesn't come back again like that.

The liquid hasn't arrived yet there have been problems with supply, but hopefully it will arrive mid next week. Feeling a bit worse today as my outing yesterday must have took it out of me and made everything go down hill a bit, but I am not panicking, just resting to see if it will all calm down again.

26th June - 26mg

3rd July - 25mg

17th July - 24mg

24th July - 23mg

15th Jan 17.4mg

21st Jan 17.2mg

I looked through these recents posts and I feel amazed at your tenacity.

I really don't know what to say. I've been willing to try ANYTHING to make it better when in a state of extreme distress. Unfortunately, since doctors did not understand the nature of my condition they could only just guess at me. Most of their guesses didn't help me.

I am so sorry that you are enduring these horrors. I do hope you take moments of every hour to tell yourself how proud you are of yourself, that this will not last forever, that you are doing better than most would under the circumstances and possess tremendous strength, and that this ordeal presents a challenge few will ever face, that by overcoming it -- which you very likely will -- you will gain strength, perspective and gratitude that will make the rest of your life more rewarding for you.

That last bit may seem like too much to swallow with the way things are going. However, I've found that the more I am able to reframe my situation, change the emotional experience, the better my symptoms become. Fear perpetuates itself... I try not to counter it by talking to myself or another person in positive, self-enforcing language.

In my case, I try not to allow doctors to guess at me. If they can't tells me a. Why something is happening and b. How their intervention should alleviate it.... I skip it. If it seems they've got a good guess, I ask What do they expect in reaction. I might try something but if my reaction is way outta line with what the therapist/practitioner/doc predicted then I rule I am being guessed at and am very well likely making my condition worse by continuing to listen to this healthcare professional.

Also, antibiotics can kill off gut bacteria which disturbs balance between good/bad gut inhabitants. I am learning that gut bacterial imbalance really complicates my healing.

Again, it sounds like you're going through such a bad time. I wish I had the solution.

Hang in there. Never, never, never give up.

Best,

Alex

"Well my ship's been split to splinters and it's sinking fast
I'm drowning in the poison, got no future, got no past
But my heart is not weary, it's light and it's free
I've got nothing but affection for all those who sailed with me.

Everybody's moving, if they ain't already there
Everybody's got to move somewhere
Stick with me baby, stick with me anyhow
Things should start to get interesting right about now."

- Zimmerman

I think that deep down one of my problems is that I don't think I will ever really heal totally or be 'normal' in the way I was before. By normal I mean not to have lingering physical symptoms.

I'm not proud of myself at all, quite the opposite for allowing myself to be stupidly drawn into taking drugs that alter the brain, in the hope it would help me.

I am feeling quite low at the moment. My symptoms began to spiral out of control in the last 48 hours or so and I am guessing this is because I dared to do something as normal as leave my house. The physical exertion has sent me right back to my bed. I get low because I see months and months and years stretching ahead like this, and missing important years of my children growing up. If I ever get better and am ready to do things, it will probably be by the time they grow up and don't have time to spend with me as much.

I had symptoms of burning up, fever, aching, stabbing and head pains again, so I reduced last night by 0.2mg. I was annoyed because I could not wait 7 days and ended up doing it at 6 and based on previous experience I think I may now suffer the next few days because of it and am worried about my feet possibly having this bleeding thing again. My head is being crushed now as I write this, this is day one of my reduction and have the worst days, 2 and 3 to come, so it is hard to be cheerful.

Thank you all for your kind words of support.

26th June - 26mg

3rd July - 25mg

17th July - 24mg

24th July - 23mg

15th Jan 17.4mg

21st Jan 17.2mg

• Administrator

InNeed,

You are suffering neuro-emotions ... I am not on the drug that you are on and I am not having the symptoms you are having. But from my experience when I was in withdrawal the neuro-emotions were very real and very defeating. I am now a good 8 weeks out from up-dosing (which was right for me in my situation) and I feel joyful and hopeful. I will continue my wean once I am passed a couple of stressful events.

My intent is to help you see that when your brain heals you will feel different.

You cannot beat yourself up for being put on antidepressants. You made the best choice you could make at the time with the information you had. If at the time the antidepressants were offered you had access to information from this site, you might have made a different decision, but you didn't have that. Hindsight is 20/20, but it isn't real. You cannot expect yourself to make decisions based on information you don't have.

If I were you I would try to imagine the state I want to be in ... I would imagine joyful moments I could enjoy with my children. I would imagine what it would feel like to be out of pain. It may be difficult, but focusing on the desired state may take your mind off of the current state at least for awhile.

Love and light

2007 @ 375 mg Effexor - 11/29/2011 - 43.75 mg Effexor (regular) & .625 mg Xanax

200 mg Gabapentin 2/27/21 - 194.5 mg, 5/28/21 - 183 mg, 8/2/21 - 170 mg, 11/28/21 - 150 mg, 4/19/22 - 122 mg; 8//7/22 - 100 mg; 12/17 - 75mg; 8/17 - 45 mg; 10/16 40 mg
Xanax taper: 3/11/12 - 0.9375 mg, 3/25/12 - 0.875 mg, 4/6/12 - 0.8125 mg, 4/18/12 - 0.75 ; 10/16 40mg;

1/16 0.6875 mg; at some point 0.625 mg
Effexor taper: 1/29/12 - 40.625 mg, 4/29/12 - 39.875 mg, 5/11/12 - Switched to liquid Effexor, 5/25/12 - 38 mg, 7/6/12 - 35 mg, 8/17/12 - 32 mg, 9/14/12 - 30 mg, 10/19/12 - 28 mg, 11/9/12 - 26 mg, 11/30/12 - 24 mg, 01/14/13 - 22 mg. 02/25/13 - 20.8 mg, 03/18/13 - 19.2 mg, 4/15/13 - 17.6 mg, 8/10/13 - 16.4 mg, 9/7/13 - 15.2 mg, 10/19/13 - 14 mg, 1/15/14 - 13.2 mg, 3/1/2014 - 12.6 mg, 5/4/14 - 12 mg, 8/1/14 - 11.4 mg, 8/29/14 - 10.8 mg; 10/14/14 - 10.2 mg; 12/15/14 - 10 mg, 1/11/15 - 9.5 mg, 2/8/15 - 9 mg, 3/21/15 - 8.5 mg, 5/1/15 - 8 mg, 6/9/15 - 7.5 mg, 7/8/15 - 7 mg, 8/22/15 - 6.5 mg, 10/4/15 - 6 mg; 1/1/16 - 5.6 mg; 2/6/16 - 5.2 mg; 4/9 - 4.8 mg; 7/7 4.5 mg; 10/7 4.25 mg; 11/4 4.0 mg; 11/25 3.8 mg; 4/24 3.6 mg; 5/27 3.4 mg; 7/8 3.2 mg ... 10/18 2.8 mg; 1/18 2.6 mg; 4/7 2.4 mg; 5/26 2.15mg; 8/18 1.85 mg; 10/7 1.7 mg; 12/1 1.45 mg; 3/2 1.2 mg; 5/4 0.90 mg; 6/1 0.80 mg; 6/22 0.65 mg; 08/03 0.50 mg, 08/10 0.45 mg, 10/05 0.325 mg, 11/23 0.2 mg, 12/14 0.15 mg, 12/21 0.125 mg, 02/28 0.03125 mg, 2/15 0.015625 mg, 2/29/20 0.00 mg - OFF Effexor

I am not a medical professional - this is not medical advice. My suggestions are based on personal experience, reading, observation and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers

This drop has not gone well I am on my seventh day and I feel desperate. I have had very little sleep this last few days, especially the last 48 hours. I am being stabbed all over, am on fire, have head shocks and pain and kidney pain. I cant stop crying which is new to me and I havent been like this since on the full dose. I am trembling. Worst of all my paranoia has returned (possibly linked to the lack of sleep). I am scared this will snowball and get worse.

I don't actually feel very safe at the moment, I am telling those around me, but if I cannot control my fears and racing thoughts I don't know what I will do. My biggest fear is ending up in hospital and I feel that is going to be back on the cards. Based on my past sensitivity I feel this will be the end of any chance to get better. Please someone help me. I am crying as I write this, please God help me. I feel I am going to be another statistic and I love my family so much.

The liquid has not come and it has been around 40 days now. I don't know if it will help but I was clinging to that hope and every day when it does not come I feel more worried.

26th June - 26mg

3rd July - 25mg

17th July - 24mg

24th July - 23mg

15th Jan 17.4mg

21st Jan 17.2mg

What if I can't control my sleep or paranoia what will I do?

26th June - 26mg

3rd July - 25mg

17th July - 24mg

24th July - 23mg

15th Jan 17.4mg

21st Jan 17.2mg

• Administrator

InNeed, talk to yourself, encourage yourself to stay calm. You've gone through bad times before, you got better, you can do this.

One step at a time, one breath at a time....

Have you phoned the vendor for the liquid? Perhaps you can phone them again?

• 2 weeks later...

I am still trying to find out about the liquid.

I am struggling and failing here. I am now on 16.8mg, i have reduced 7% of dose in the last 5 and a half weeks, which I think is too much, but I can't stay on a dose at any length of time either.

I am 3 days into the last drop. My heart won't stop racing or beating heavy and I am struggling at times to draw breathe and make it effective. My organs feel like they are being crushed. I have stabbing pains all over and have developed nausea and feeling sick. I can't stop trembling or jerking.

The site of where I took the extra tablet and had paralysis and is deteriorating. I have paralysis coming back and my face is numb again and i have severe pain down the left hand side of my neck, shoulder ear. I feel as if I am losing feeling in my ear again.

What happens when I reduce is that i have terrible pain and constriction, but as the week goes on this turns to out of control anxiety, crying, panic, fear, burning, being set on fire, akathesia and jerking. It deterorates at a rapid pace. So I reduce. Some relief comes of the burning and the leg/kidney pain, but it is then replaced by other frightening symptoms. I don't know how to slow this down, I can't, because I can't stay at the same dose without terrifying symptoms, but then I reduce and I know I am going too fast in that way.

I am going to try to drop just one bead next time, but I fear even that won't slow it down enough.

I am in tolerance here. I am paying from large reductions earlier on. Each time I reduce even the tiniest amount bearing in mind I have to go down 163 beads, my brain can't recover the damage fast enough. BUT I can't stay on the same dose because I am in tolerance and my brain can't downgrade any more to accomodate what is coming in.

I am scared I am losing my fight here. I have been told about propanalol, but I don't know if this would slow down my heart of if I would react to it. I am very weak and I realise my weight is dropping again, even though I am forcing myself to eat. I don't trust myself to be alone anymore. I am frightened of being alone now.

My husband is scared because he doesnt think the hospitals and medical profession can help or understand it. I am going downhill rapid and I don't know how to pull back.

I don't trust a switch to anything else given my reactions to medicines.

I am constantly listening to relaxation tapes, having baths, resting, doing what I can, but I can do no more. Please please tell me someone that if my heart won't slow down, or the paralysis in my face, head, won't stop progressing, that still someone, can help me,somewhere, until my brain catches up and repairs this damage.

26th June - 26mg

3rd July - 25mg

17th July - 24mg

24th July - 23mg

15th Jan 17.4mg

21st Jan 17.2mg

• Administrator

InNeed, the nervous system tends to repair itself, but slowly. Be patient, you'll recover.

Please write Dr. Huws of the Critical Psychiatry Network. If he can recommend a doctor, at least you may have someone you can ask about propranolol.

Hi InNeedOfHope.

I'm Christiana.

I just want you to know, I'm in a really bad situation and way also, and after reading what you're going through, my heart deeply, deeply aches for you. I want you to know that I truly, strongly feel the pain of everything you're going through right now. I wholeheartedly wish I could ease your pain and suffering this very moment and take it all away. I honestly do. I know it takes a lot out of us, but others have gone before us and we will come out much stronger, wiser, and better for it, just like they have. We have to hang onto that hope and really believe, not the lies, but the real truth. Just hang in here with me okay? We can do this!!! I'm just a private message or post away in the introduction forum, if you need me.

Love, Light, & Health,

Christiana

Jun-Jul '09 (approx 7 wks) - 5mg/day Lexapro (drug rep samples) given by family dr for long, unended, very stressful divorce

Each dose taken makes sicker, think it's just body adjusting, have no clue it's severe adverse reaction at time

Aug '09 - pharmacy gets dr rx for, insurance won't pay, I can't afford, dr changes to Celexa, decline to take, cold turkey, necessary blessing in disguise, in hindsight at least

Gradually feel some better over 1-2 wks, 3rd wk horrific withdrawal symptoms start & build, see doctor & start researching internet about what's happening, figure it out, 60-70+ severe, frightening, & debilitating symptoms emerge, realize nothing can do to feel better easily or quickly, feel like & think I'm dying, reach point where doctor gets home healthcare & have to call friend to stay with & take care of, friend abandons about 1 yr & lose home healthcare

1st yr symptoms extremely severe, 2nd yr just somewhat better, now into 3rd yr symptoms don't seem much better, still causing horrible suffering, wax & wane in severity, sometimes almost as severe as when started, practically homebound, mostly bedbound, very hard completing simple tasks, symptoms definitely much worse 7-10 days/mo around menstrual cycle

Have lost vehicle & home, plus loved cat & dog had for long time, was homeless several months last winter, lived out of car, living in undesirable gov't subsidized housing now causing many troubles, have no medical & very little rx insurance, disability check & food stamps aren't enough to provide basic needs, lack any reliable personal support anymore, very isolated & all alone, have many pressing stressful things must be done, can barely or unable to complete without help don't have, even ones to help situation some, don't even have finances to get urgent necessary needed help required to help situation & self, social services is frequently visiting now, fear being polydrugged, losing everything, put into nursing home, hope & pray someone will help to keep from happening, don't know what else to do, still way to sick to return to work & college, believe I will recover, in the meantime tho have no answers except to plead for help, hope & pray someone, anyone, who truly cares does soon

In 32nd mo now still very bad SSRI protracted withdrawal, have only seen few signs of healing since 2nd yr passed, somehow manage to keep fighting, afraid time is running out for best tho & situation only going to get worse trying to survive on own if don't get help from someone

This pretty much summarizes what 49 little round white pills (if I recall correctly) have done to my life & future for now, my before & after life are drastically opposite now, both my situation & self, if only I'd known their potential, a little bit too late now tho huh?.?.?...hindsight really is 20/20 isn't it?.?.?...

I pray God blesses and helps each and every one of us, here and elsewhere, going through this nightmare. Amen, amen, amen.

Dear InNeed,

I just wanted to say I am thinking of you.

I know you might not feel like it, but to me you are being so strong and courageous in dealing with this and doing everything you can.

I wish I could say something more constructive to help. But I am really hoping for you and my heart goes out to you.

xxxxxxx

I came off Seroxat in August 2005 after a 4 month taper. I was initially prescibed a benzo for several months and then Prozac for 5 years and after that, Seroxat for 3 years and 9 months.

"It's like in the great stories Mr.Frodo, the ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger they were, and sometimes you didn't want to know the end because how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened? But in the end it's only a passing thing this shadow, even darkness must pass. A new day will come, and when the sun shines it'll shine out the clearer."  Samwise Gamgee, Lord of the Rings, The Two Towers

Thank you for your kind comments. Am really struggling these last 2 weeks more than ever. I have managed to hold at the same dose for 9 days now, but the feeling of my organs being crushed is coming back and I know I am going to have to reduce again even though I am in great pain.

The biggest issue I have had this week is akathesia and the emotional stuff that comes with it. Have had it in short bursts before, but never like this for as prolonged a time, am worried this is going to become a permanent thing until I get off. If it is I don't think I can do this.

For the first time this week in my life I had to take Valium because the need to move and the violent shaking and jerking I could not control. It is coming on again now as I type. So I will reduce but am in so much pain anyway, so am scared from that aspect.

Am going to try to reduce just by one bead this time. See if that helps any.

What are other people's experiences of akathesia? How did they control it? How much Valium can be taken without developing an addiction. It helped some, but of course I don't know if when it wears off it just contributes to the whole problem. I have to stop this akathesia because constant moving causes pain in other areas that I can't cope with. I banged my leg so hard this week that the bone hurts all down the right side of my leg. This is agony.

26th June - 26mg

3rd July - 25mg

17th July - 24mg

24th July - 23mg

15th Jan 17.4mg

21st Jan 17.2mg

Hi InNeed,

A massive well done for staying at the same dose for 9 days.

So sorry for all the pain you are experiencing.

“What are other people’s experiences of akathesia?”

I had a horrible ‘on edge’ feeling in my earlier withdrawal. At some points it got unbearable. I can remember being keeled over on the floor with it and getting absolutely desperate. It wasn’t usually as strong as that though. I experienced it in varying degrees. I think it was akathisia, but I didn’t always have the urge to move that other people describe.

I found that distraction, such as watching films/internet etc and reassuring myself went some way towards helping me get through it. I think very light back massage helped a little.

It sounds a bit daft but I thought I would mention it anyway just in case it might alleviate things: I read on another SSRI board that someone found a bit of relief twisting around on an office chair and also by using one of those large yoga balls as a chair and bouncing softly.

I very much hope you found some relief from reducing by one bead.

I came off Seroxat in August 2005 after a 4 month taper. I was initially prescibed a benzo for several months and then Prozac for 5 years and after that, Seroxat for 3 years and 9 months.

"It's like in the great stories Mr.Frodo, the ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger they were, and sometimes you didn't want to know the end because how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened? But in the end it's only a passing thing this shadow, even darkness must pass. A new day will come, and when the sun shines it'll shine out the clearer."  Samwise Gamgee, Lord of the Rings, The Two Towers

If switching for people like me who are sensitive is not recommended I don't know where to go from here. I will carry on with one bead, but i forsee that further down the line at lower doses even that will be too fast and if I get akathesia like last week I will not make it. I could only begin to control this by reducing to one bead. When I can't do that anymore, (but cant stay at the same dose either because of tolerance) I am going to run out of options.

Surely most people who switch to Prozac are sensitive? Or they wouldn't be trying it?

I have 162 beads to go which is a long time. I have made big reductions at the start that I just can't catch up.

I had akathesia so bad I was pacing or rather runnning around crying panicking, jerking my body and banging my leg so hard continuously on the floor that the bone still hurts now a week later, it was violent. Not even the slow side to side pacing you see in videos. My neck was rigid and bent forward and i felt as if I was exploding inside with vibrations.

It that happens again and one bead is too much, but it won't let me stay on that dose, I don't know what to do. If I had a liquid I take it I could go even slower than one bead?

I am beginning to wish I had CT because at least when I went from 60 to 30 I had not been on it long and had no kidney, heart or breathing problems. The psychiatrist kept saying that the more I put it in the worse it would be lower down.

I think CT or very very slow tapering is best. By making the mess I have, I have wd and tolerance issues at the same time.

If the worst happens and I get severe akathesia again, is there nothing that can be done for me apart from huge doses of tranquillisers which will mean another addiction and problem.

I wish there were more stories of the switch and people who had successfully navigated through that to the end.

Does anyone have any ideas, I am feeling desperate again.

26th June - 26mg

3rd July - 25mg

17th July - 24mg

24th July - 23mg

15th Jan 17.4mg

21st Jan 17.2mg

• Administrator

Doctors who know what they're doing switch those people to Prozac who cannot seem to reduce by even tiny amounts. Those people are highly sensitive to dosage reductions. That's what Dr. Healy used the Prozac switch for.

• Moderator Emeritus

Can you just stop tapering altogether for a while and see what happens? Even tiny cuts are cumulative and they can add up, and we can get ahead of our body's ability to heal. I think it's very important to take intermittent longer holds.

And by "longer holds" I mean, think in terms of months, not days or just a couple of weeks.

Have you tried that yet?

I know you're concerned about how long this is going to take, that you're still exposed to the med during that time, but at this point it sounds like the reducing without a break is maybe doing you more harm than the drug itself. Remember, although you are still on the drug, you are on a smaller dose now, and the dose is continuing to go down, so whatever harm it does is going down too.

I'd also like to add that your idea that a CT early on would have been better is, I think, overly optimistic. People do NOT do well on CTs from Cymbalta.

I think a break from tapering might give your body and nervous system some time to stabilize and heal. When it comes time to taper again you can go as slowly as you need to. When you get to the end of the taper you will still have to cut by one bead at a time, but you can take longer in between drops if you need to.

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

Thank you for your replies.

The Prozac thing may be my last ditch attempt. As you say people must be desperate to need to switch, its just with all the sensitivity I have I worry what it would do to me.

Rhi - I can't rest on any dose for long my body won't let me. The longer I am on a level it goes worse and worse on all pain levels. This week making only a 1 bead drop I thought things would improve, but my heart has gone out of control this week. I know this will be the culmulative affect of prior drops, but I have a pattern where if I stay on a dose too long it goes haywire and I get all kinds of tolerance issues (I can see the difference between going too fast from early on, those kinds of pains) and pain from immediate wd of the past few weeks. I feel I am juggling the two things at the moment.

When I went from 60 to 30 I went through a series of pain..a pattern if you like. The last ten weeks I have been following the same pattern. I feel I am getting back to the 'me' that was there before the drug. Does this mean I am catching up? Has anyone else seen this happen? The downside is that the pain I have from taking the extra tablet in my left head is worse than ever, so I can only go at the speed that that will allow which is snails pace.

Do you think this might 'catch up' too if I continue to go slow like this? Sorry for all the questions, but I have been up since 3 with my heart racing and feeling I have been set on fire.

26th June - 26mg

3rd July - 25mg

17th July - 24mg

24th July - 23mg

15th Jan 17.4mg

21st Jan 17.2mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Inneedofhope I just want to let you know I got your messages but I am away for a few days and I only have my blackberry with me so I can't really read them or this thread very well but I will reply properly when I am home next week. One thought I had is that you are maybe going too fast by making a reduction however small, every week, I would leave it a few weeks between reductions, but because I am reading on a blackberry I am maybe missing something!

*** Please note this is not medical advice,discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner***

http://prozacwithdrawal.blogspot.com/
Original drug was sertraline/Zoloft, switched to Prozac in 2007.
Tapering from 5mls liquid prozac since Feb 2008, got down to 0.85ml 23/09/2012, reinstated back to 1ml(4mg) 07/11/2012, didn't appear to work, upped to 1.05ml 17/11/2012, back down to 1ml 12/12/2012 didn't work, up to 1.30ml 16/3/2013 didn't work, bumped up to 2ml (8mg) 4/4/2013 didn't work, in July 2013 I reinstated Sertraline (Zoloft) 50mg, feeling better now. 

A few months down the line I switched to 5ml liquid Prozac and tapered down to a compromise dose of 3ml liquid Prozac and have stayed there ever since, no withdrawals and no emotional blunting/loss of libido.

Can you just stop tapering altogether for a while and see what happens? Even tiny cuts are cumulative and they can add up, and we can get ahead of our body's ability to heal. I think it's very important to take intermittent longer holds.

And by "longer holds" I mean, think in terms of months, not days or just a couple of weeks.

What if you feel worse if you hold TOO long? For instance I have noticed I start to go downhill quickly if I hold longer than 7 weeks. Once I drop again I feel a bit better. I seem to be sensitive to drops too and wonder all the time if I should attempt a switch to Prozac.

a.k.a JMarie

Paxil since Mar.1998

2006-2007:40-20mg
2009: 20mg to 14mg 2010: 14mg to 10.5mg 2011: 10.5 to 7.6mg  2012: 7.5 to 6.8mg

2013: 6.7-6.3mg 2014: 6.2mg-5.8mg 2015: 5.7 to 5.15mg 2016: 5.1-4.6mg

1/19/17: 4.5mg 3/17/17: 4.4mg

6/15/17: 4.35mg 8/10/17: 4.3mg

1/29/18: 4.1mg 5/07/18: 4.0mg

7/31/18: 3.9mg

I can't seem to find anyone that is in the same position as me and what can be done about it.

InNeed,

I am.

You might want to go back and read my Intro thread. Pun (god, I miss her!!) reveals a bit about her experience.....I'm not advising you to necessarily follow her way of tapering (she had a very definite pattern), just some reassurance that it IS this hard for some of us, but it can be done.

Lotty/Lor

xxx

Paxil 20mg 1995 for panic disorder/anxiety.

3 attempts to w/d c/t. Horrific w/d hit after 1 month each time. Straight back to 20mg.

2003-2007: 30mg.

30mg to 20mg slowly over 2007.

20mg to 15mg (liquid) (Jan 2009) - big problems, back up to 20mg (pill) immediately. Recovered slowly.

20mg to 15mg (liquid) (Dec to Feb 2010) - suicidal. Back to 20mg May 2010, could not stabilise.

Dec 2010 to 31/01/2012: 20mg~9.6mg in tiny drops.

21/02/12~9.0

08/03/12~8.4

22/03/12~7.9

12/04/12~7.5

03/05/12~7.1

24/05/12~6.7

14/06/12~6.3

05/07/12~6.0

26/07/12~5.7

17/08/12~5.5

ALSO ON 1MG XANAX

• Moderator Emeritus

Yes, this does happen to some people. Holds don't always work for everyone. I feel people don't usually give them a good chance, but the fact is, I'm not the one in your body. If you find that staying at the same dose for a while consistently makes you feel worse, then it's not working for you.

In which case I'm kind of out of my depth as far as advice. But it does sound like the Prozac might be a possibility.

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

• Administrator

Again, InNeed, you need a knowledgeable doctor to switch you to Prozac and I urge you to contact Dr. Huws.

Thank you for the replies.

I may contact Dr.Huws, but I still want to avoid the Prozac switch for the time being, but if the worst comes to the worse then that might have to be considered.

I have read some of the information Pun wrote as advised by Lori and I wanted to write a few things down to see what other people think of my pattern.

My biggest issue here is the damage done I believe by the extra tablet I took when I reinstated the first time, so effectively I went from around 45 to 120 and back down again, (trebling the dose) hence the paralysis.

This is where the bulk of my pain is now and in the corresponding right hand side.

The ciprofloxacin was contraindicated and on the leaflet and so in effect that send me into severe withdrawal and back up again.

After the Cipro I held at the same dose for 8 weeks but then felt strange...worse so began reducing again at the rat of 2 beads a week. I did this for 8 weeks. Then I realised even this was too much when akathesia appeared. So now it is 1 bead.

I am managing to hold now for only around 8/9 days, after a drop I feel emotionally better, and some pain dies. Then on day two it begins to build. By day 4/5 it is intolerable, by day 7 it has got better andd improves, then it takes a very swift dive and so I reduce.

When I went from 60 to 30 I followed a pattern of symptoms, over the ten days I lasted. Over the last ten weeks I have followed the same intense pattern (having not had any of those symtoms for a year) and that side of withdrawal is receding.

So.....is this my body catching up???However, I have symptoms from the 8 weeks being too fast...the same symptoms I have had on the left hand side of my head and right foot ALL the way down. So my question is this...if I slow it down to 1 bead every 8/9 days, will the left side of my head improve,

will this damage catch up in a few months in the same way the other damage I talked about caught up?[/color]

In many ways some of my symptoms are very much now like what I had when I started up the drug, symptoms I have not had for over 15 months.

My biggest fear is that not even 1 bead a week will be slow enough to catch up and I can't go any slower as I get lower down. When I go too fast my heart gets out of control and forgetting about the pain for a second, it is the akathesia that is the scariest thing I have experienced. It was violent and my bone hurts in my leg and foot from the uncontrollable banging.

Does reducing at 1 bead now, mean it will be that way for all the way through? If so I am looking at 3-4 years.

Which is just a depressing thought.

Is there such a thing as going too slow? Later on, if I do catch up, how will I know to go faster?

I am finding my life a living helll at the moment, but my biggest fear is I have done too much damage and yet my body won't let me slow down at lower doses. I can't afford to make any more mistakes going too fast.

I had to take Valium to control the akathesia and the banging of my leg for the first time, because I felt I was damaging my leg. That is something that concerns me after reading the posts by Pun

My problems are rapid tapering and tolerance too. Sorry for all the questions, I just wanted to see what anyone thought if they had time to read.

26th June - 26mg

3rd July - 25mg

17th July - 24mg

24th July - 23mg

15th Jan 17.4mg

21st Jan 17.2mg

• Administrator

InNeed, please stop trying to analyze your situation this way.

Your autonomic nervous system has been destabilized and made hypersensitive by withdrawal syndrome. Any change or addition of neuroactive substances is going to cause unpredictable symptoms.

As we've discussed before, you are caught between a rock and a hard place. You have bad symptoms when you taper and you have bad symptoms when you don't taper.

It's terrible that you have to make decisions alone about what to do next in this state. This is why I keep on urging you to contact Dr. Huws.

There's a limit as to what kind of guidance you can get from your virtual friends. If you found a compassionate doctor, he or she could at least help you make decisions and support you later.

Hi In Need,

Im so sorry your suffering so horribly, but in time this will get better.

I agree with Altos post above, the more we analyse, look for reasons, answers, the more the anxiety ramps, the more disappointed, helpless and despairing we become not to find the solution we crave to end that suffering.

We have all done this at some stage in wd.

I think you should write or call Dr Hew, he may be able to put you in touch with someone who can help or advise you further.

Yours is not a straight forward case, and here we are NOT medically trained to have the answers to your many questions, but that doesnt mean that we cant support you throughout your journey.

But you also have to believe that you do recover from this, mind set is very important in wd, the right mind set can make you feel less anxious, it can also give you some encouragement to fight your way through the bad times, and ease your worried mind too.

Please do contact Dr Hews, you have nothing to lose, and maybe everything to gain from his expertise and knowledge.

Hope you feel better soon x

Began taking 30mg Seroxat on 15th Jan 1997 for grief issues. Remained at that dosage until Dec 05, did doctor ct, akathesia set in along with being non functional and overly emotional, brain fog. Doctor prescribed prozac, propranelol and diazeapam to counteract side effects, and told me to ct those 3 after 2.5/3 months use, induced wd seizure on 2nd day after ct. Was reinstated on seroxat 20mg in april 06, remained at that dose until Nov 07 and began a very slow taper lasting 56 months, finally DRUG FREE on 11th may 2011.

InNeed,

Just checking in to give you a big {{{{HUG}}}}

B

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi InNeed, just wondering how you are getting on, and whether you have contacted the doctor mentioned. Thinking of you!

*** Please note this is not medical advice,discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner***

http://prozacwithdrawal.blogspot.com/
Original drug was sertraline/Zoloft, switched to Prozac in 2007.
Tapering from 5mls liquid prozac since Feb 2008, got down to 0.85ml 23/09/2012, reinstated back to 1ml(4mg) 07/11/2012, didn't appear to work, upped to 1.05ml 17/11/2012, back down to 1ml 12/12/2012 didn't work, up to 1.30ml 16/3/2013 didn't work, bumped up to 2ml (8mg) 4/4/2013 didn't work, in July 2013 I reinstated Sertraline (Zoloft) 50mg, feeling better now. 

A few months down the line I switched to 5ml liquid Prozac and tapered down to a compromise dose of 3ml liquid Prozac and have stayed there ever since, no withdrawals and no emotional blunting/loss of libido.