gardenlady

gardenlady

May 2016 - Aug 2016 - Prozac 20mg

March 2017 - June 2017 - Sertraline 100mg. Horrific withdrawal 5 m onths.

July 2017 - Aug 2017 - Mirtazapine 15mg. Horrific.

August 2017 - December 2017 Fluoxetine 10mg for 2 weeks ghen Escitalopram 20mg for 12 weeks. Never felt normal since this. Or baseline.

March 2018 - June 2018 - Escitalopram 5mg for 12 weeks. Stopped and here i am full of symptoms i never had.

Hi Gardenlady.

When i had insomnia i used this meditation at night when i got into bed. I lay and i listened to the words and i would wake up hours later with it still playing. 

It is wd related also and it would help me remember i will get better. 

Give it a try, let me know if it helps. Maybe others could try. 

Take care, im off early morning fishing with my boy. 

Lee

August 2017 - December 2017 Fluoxetine 10mg for 2 weeks ghen Escitalopram 20mg for 12 weeks. Never felt normal since this. Or baseline.

March 2018 - June 2018 - Escitalopram 5mg for 12 weeks. Stopped and here i am full of symptoms i never had.

• 2 months later...

I cut one bead on Friday and since then, have felt like I'm on a horrific LSD trip that won't stop.  Does anyone else feel like that?  I feel like I'm losing my mind...and lying in bed makes it worse as strange things come into my mind....so odd that I can't even call them thoughts....they make no sense but are terrifying.  

I'm down to 37 beads/7.1 mg of Cymbalta.  I've been cutting one bead per week but will have to slow down but that means it will take years more to get off this poison.  Despite a slow, steady taper, it's been agonizing the whole way down.  I've been at this for 19 months now and may have 3 + years to go.  At age 67, it's pretty discouraging as I won't have that many years left even if I do heal.  I'm so very depressed and scared as I'm isolated, housebound and alone.  Because of the symptoms, I can't socialize or be around people.  The insomnia is terrible....I go for 2 days without sleep and then sleep some, but then stay awake again for 24-48 hrs.  And, I can sleep only in the daytime as my circadian rhythm is so messed up from the drug.  

2016-Aug-Prescribed 2 mg Ativan & 10 mg Ambien; Oct-c/o from 20 mg Lexapro to 60 mg Cymbalta; Nov-Dec-Tapered off 10 mg Ambien    

2017-Jan-Feb c/o from 1.75 mg Ativan to 13 mg Valium & begin daily liquid micro taper; May-taper Cymbalta 60 mg to 48 mg with severe withdrawals.  Begin 11 month Cymbalta hold.

2018-Jan 11 completed Valium taper; Apr-Resume Cymbalta taper.  Interval dose progress: Apr 43 mg; May 40 mg; Jul 35 mg; Sep 29 mg; Dec 21 mg; 

2019- Apr 14 mg; Jun 11 mg; Aug 9 mg; Oct 7 mg; Nov 6 mg

2020-Jan 5.2 mg; Feb 4.8 mg; Mar 4.3 mg; Apr 3.9 mg; May 3.5 mg; Jun 3.3 mg; Jul 2.9 mg; Aug 2.7 mg; 28 Sep 2.4 mg/12 beads; 25 Oct 2.2 mg/11 beads; 22 Nov 2.0 mg/10 beads; 20 Dec 1.8 mg/9 beads

2021- 17 Jan 1.6 mg/8 beads; 14 Feb 1.4 mg/7 beads; 18 Mar 1.2 mg/6 beads; 18 Apr 1.0 mg/5 beads; 16 May

0.8 mg/4 beads; 13 Jun 0.6 mg/3 beads; 11 Jul 0.5 mg/2 beads; 8 Aug .03 mg/1 bead; 5 Sep 0 mg.

Brutal, agonizing, slow 4.5 year Cymbalta taper completed as of 5 Sep 2021.  100% psych drug free.  

It's so discouraging to post and not to get any response.  I've noticed that's the difference between this site and Benzo Buddies.  On BB, you always get a response....here, it's rare.  I wish this site was as friendly and responsive as BB. 

2016-Aug-Prescribed 2 mg Ativan & 10 mg Ambien; Oct-c/o from 20 mg Lexapro to 60 mg Cymbalta; Nov-Dec-Tapered off 10 mg Ambien    

2017-Jan-Feb c/o from 1.75 mg Ativan to 13 mg Valium & begin daily liquid micro taper; May-taper Cymbalta 60 mg to 48 mg with severe withdrawals.  Begin 11 month Cymbalta hold.

2018-Jan 11 completed Valium taper; Apr-Resume Cymbalta taper.  Interval dose progress: Apr 43 mg; May 40 mg; Jul 35 mg; Sep 29 mg; Dec 21 mg; 

2020-Jan 5.2 mg; Feb 4.8 mg; Mar 4.3 mg; Apr 3.9 mg; May 3.5 mg; Jun 3.3 mg; Jul 2.9 mg; Aug 2.7 mg; 28 Sep 2.4 mg/12 beads; 25 Oct 2.2 mg/11 beads; 22 Nov 2.0 mg/10 beads; 20 Dec 1.8 mg/9 beads

2021- 17 Jan 1.6 mg/8 beads; 14 Feb 1.4 mg/7 beads; 18 Mar 1.2 mg/6 beads; 18 Apr 1.0 mg/5 beads; 16 May

0.8 mg/4 beads; 13 Jun 0.6 mg/3 beads; 11 Jul 0.5 mg/2 beads; 8 Aug .03 mg/1 bead; 5 Sep 0 mg.

Brutal, agonizing, slow 4.5 year Cymbalta taper completed as of 5 Sep 2021.  100% psych drug free.  

Hi.

Im not a mod however, im fully trained in this awful mess should we say.

I hope your feeling a little better than your previous post. 

i personally see your point about age and the taper BUT i cold turkeyed and oh my days for 12 months i cant desribe it in words. How i still have a home, a job is beyond me. 

someone will resoond im sure. 

Keep on Keeping on! 👍

• Moderator Emeritus
13 hours ago, gardenlady said:

It's so discouraging to post and not to get any response.  I've noticed that's the difference between this site and Benzo Buddies.  On BB, you always get a response....here, it's rare.  I wish this site was as friendly and responsive as BB. 

BB is a support site that's designed for a lot of member interaction (buddie blogs, etc). 

SA is more research oriented. 

But if you have any questions about your taper, please post them, Gardenlady. 

Leo's kind response is a sign of how friendly this community is. You may want to post in the Relationship or Finding Meaning sections and make connections with more members. The Intro sections are designed more for tapering questions. 

Finding Meaning

Relationships and social life

Thank you, Leo, for responding.  You are fortunate that you still have your home....I lost mine because of benzos and ADs.  Congrats on being off of the AD for a year...I hope I'll get there someday.  

Thanks, Shep.  I thought this site was to support one during AD withdrawal which is why I posted.  My taper has been horrific the whole way down despite going slowly.  Each cut is like being on a non-stop LSD trip and I do wonder how I'll ever get off of Cymbalta.  That's why I posted and I'm saddened to know that there is no support for such situations.  

I didn't have a "Buddie Blog" on BB...I just posted on the regular threads available and always received quick responses.  There was always support there which was an enormous help, even if one didn't need technical taper help.  The emotional support was priceless and is what I thought this site was for, but I see that I'm mistaken.  The Relationships and Finding Meaning sections on this site get very, very low traffic and thus spotty, if any, responses to posts.  There is a huge need for an AD taper and withdrawal site with significant member interaction as the process is so unbearable, especially for those of us without families, spouses, children and no in-person support.  

• Moderator Emeritus
On 11/2/2019 at 12:14 AM, gardenlady said:

There is a huge need for an AD taper and withdrawal site with significant member interaction as the process is so unbearable, especially for those of us without families, spouses, children and no in-person support.  

You may want to check out the Inner Compass for making connections: 

The Inner Compass

I can't vouch for this site (I'm not a member), but it's another way to make contact with others. 

If you can find just one or two people with commonality to start an email or phone dialogue with, that can be a way to start a support network for yourself. You don't want too many connections, as that can get overwhelming during withdrawal. 

Keep in mind that some of this feeling of loneliness is chemical and will go away whether you're around people are not. In fact, many people with families report not being able to feel any love or connection for their family members, including their own children. Benzos (and other psych drugs) have a numbing effect that affects the ability to feel things at a spiritual level (whether you're religious or not). There's a really good thread about this over on BB that you may have already read. If not, please check it out: 

Benzo Related Loneliness

I don't think any one website provides all of the support we need while going through this. That's certainly the case for me and many other people I know. So take what you can take from the websites you find and piece together the support and information that gets you through this. 

Hang in there, GL. This will get better. 

• Moderator Emeritus

What seems to work well is finding people whose threads you feel you can relate well to, and then posting on their threads so they can meet you and get to know you a bit. If you give support and show some interest, people will generally return the support and interest, maybe not everybody and maybe not instantly, but overall that seems to be what works to build connections.

Remember that everyone is struggling here, nobody has a ton of free time and energy to give away. Sometimes remembering that other people are bad shape too just like we are, makes it easier to be patient with people.

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

Hello Garden Lady,

I am another cymbalta warrior! Please feel free to follow me  - or quote me in any replies so I can keep an ear for your posts. Otherwise - when you post I won't know. I do my best to find my way around the system - and continue to be overwhelmed. :)

I feel terrible for your situation - as I do for everyone's on SA.  I am in 57 and I am on .4 mg cymbalta (2 beads). The intention is for me to be on 2 beads for 5 more weeks and 1 bead for 6 weeks. Amazing little drug this is. After that I have to taper 2 mg of clonazepam (thanks to an irresponsible MD to put it lightly).  I'll be at this for a long time to come. I think there are a lot of middle aged people on this site - and we may have a bit of road ahead of us and we will get there. It takes determination and the positive focus that others make it - and so will we.

Getting off cymbalta has been brutal. I thougth I was 'tapering' but actually did a veritable CT (December 2018). Without hijacking your thread about this story - I experienced acute WD and I am in prolonged WD (something called PAWs if I have that right) now. It is much better than it was. :)

7 hours ago, Shep said:

If you can find just one or two people with commonality to start an email or phone dialogue with, that can be a way to start a support network for yourself. You don't want too many connections, as that can get overwhelming during withdrawal. 

I have found this to be true and find I am better when I am in touch with a very small number of people. It is overwhelming.  The plethora of information is overwhelming and I have to be in the right frame of mind to look at any of it (meaning I am not anxious, depressed, etc.).  I have to be feeling 'normal WD'.

Hugs to you 🤗

Giulietta

On 11/3/2019 at 6:26 AM, Shep said:

You may want to check out the Inner Compass for making connections: 

The Inner Compass

I can't vouch for this site (I'm not a member), but it's another way to make contact with others. 

Keep in mind that some of this feeling of loneliness is chemical and will go away whether you're around people are not. In fact, many people with families report not being able to feel any love or connection for their family members, including their own children. Benzos (and other psych drugs) have a numbing effect that affects the ability to feel things at a spiritual level (whether you're religious or not). There's a really good thread about this over on BB that you may have already read. If not, please check it out: 

Benzo Related Loneliness

I don't think any one website provides all of the support we need while going through this. That's certainly the case for me and many other people I know. So take what you can take from the websites you find and piece together the support and information that gets you through this. 

Hang in there, GL. This will get better. 

Thanks, Shep, for your kind words and encouragement.  I joined the Inner Compass site right when it launched, but haven't run across anyone in my vicinity yet.  I'm very familiar with the Benzo Related Loneliness thread and have messaged with the original poster, River Wolf.  It's a very poignant reminder of what we are all going through. I've been at this for so long that I've scoured the internet looking for support.  Thanks again for understanding. 

On 11/3/2019 at 1:07 PM, Rhiannon said:

Remember that everyone is struggling here, nobody has a ton of free time and energy to give away. Sometimes remembering that other people are bad shape too just like we are, makes it easier to be patient with people.

Oh, gosh....of course we're all suffering and I'm very, very much aware of that!  When I post, I'm not necessarily looking for moderator support, but that from other people experiencing similar symptoms.  I'm sorry if what I wrote came across any other way.  

23 hours ago, Guilietta said:

I am another cymbalta warrior! Please feel free to follow me  - or quote me in any replies so I can keep an ear for your posts. Otherwise - when you post I won't know. I do my best to find my way around the system - and continue to be overwhelmed. :)

Guilietta, Thanks for your kind reply.  I can't imagine being down to only 2 beads as you are!  That's great!  I'm at 36 beads/6.9 mg and have perhaps 2+ years to go as I have to go slower the lower I go.  Do you feel like you're on a non-stop LSD trip?  It's so hard trying to explain to friends why I can't socialize or get out and about.  I'm way past trying to fake it as it's impossible.  

I'm sorry that you had to go through a cold-turkey experience.  I'll have to read back through your thread to get your story.  Anyway, thanks for replying!  

On 10/31/2019 at 6:47 PM, gardenlady said:

On BB, you always get a response

I think it's all quite random. I didn't get much response on BB actually and find it overwhelming. No clue where to post. Also you have to remember the traffic on this part of SA is small because it's members only and the forum is primarily for AD wd.

On 10/26/2019 at 11:48 PM, gardenlady said:

I cut one bead on Friday and since then, have felt like I'm on a horrific LSD trip that won't stop.  Does anyone else feel like that?  I feel like I'm losing my mind...and lying in bed makes it worse as strange things come into my mind....so odd that I can't even call them thoughts....they make no sense but are terrifying.

I relate to the disturbing, alien non-thoughts. I had those a few weeks ago. Almost audio/visual hallucinations. I was afraid of the dark all of the sudden. Helped to keep a hallway light on so I could get my bearings. 

Aug-Dec 2015 Prozac 20mg / Dec 2015-Feb 2016 Prozac 15mg / Feb 2016-May2016 Prozac 20mg

May 2016-June 2016 15mg

June 2016-August 2016 10mg

October 2016-January 2017 15mg, alternating agitation/akathisia sets in --> cold turkey

January 2017 Clonazepam .5mg 

February 2017 Clonazepam 1mg (for a week) then .5mg morning and .25mg evening for about a month. Came down to .25mg morning and evening. 

May 1, 2017 Clonazepam .25mg morning and .125mg evening. // May 20, 2017 Clonazepam .25mg morning and .0625 evening (.3125 total).

early June .28125 // early mid june .25mg // mid june .21875 // late june .1875 // early july .15625 // early mid july .125 

mid july .09375mg // late july .0625 //early August 2017 down to .03125mg once a day, hopped off in mid August

reinstated at .0625mg late August // Oct 16 - updose to .07mg and switch to oral Rosemont solution

Nov 17 2017 reinstate Prozac .5mg // Nov 21 2017 prozac 1.6mg // Dec 18 2017  3mg prozac / fast taper off the reinstatement -- probably completely off early Oct 2018

June 2019 begin tapering off .07mg Clonazepam, Finish taper December 2019

56 minutes ago, bheb said:

I relate to the disturbing, alien non-thoughts. I had those a few weeks ago. Almost audio/visual hallucinations. I was afraid of the dark all of the sudden. Helped to keep a hallway light on so I could get my bearings. 

Thanks, bheb!  So glad you can relate to the weird, terrifying alien non-thoughts....I'm not sure what to call them.  I don't have any audio or visual hallucinations....never have in all my time going through this.  It's more of an existential, terrifying doom and dread that is not of this world.  It's nothing like one would ever experience in normal life.  That's why I liken it to an LSD trip.  I do wonder if it's actually demonic....that's how it seems to me, anyway, and is what makes it so terrifying.  People ask if it's anxiety and I respond that, no, it's a completely different category.  Not anything that there are words to describe, it's so horrific.  

Hello GardenLady,

I haven't (yet) any hallucinations (and hope I don't) but I have had the gamut of the other symptoms. Whether they are incapacitating, limting (less than incapacitating) to tremendously annoying to just simply an annoyance and distraction - I continue to experience them in the waves and windows pattern. The emotional (anxiety, anhedonia, feelings of near panic, despair, etc.) are the worst.

2 hours ago, gardenlady said:

It's so hard trying to explain to friends why I can't socialize or get out and about.  I'm way past trying to fake it as it's impossible.  

I have told people that I am having trouble with changing my medications that there are a lot of side effects. This is true for a wide array of drugs - not just ADs.  Most people I know have at least one health issue. If they don't get your situation - then I think that's too bad for them. ;) Covering up - or trying to - for fear of being judged is stressful and makes people feel worse about themselves (I think).

I can't imagine being down to only 2 beads as you are!  That's great!  I'm at 36 beads/6.9 mg and have perhaps 2+ years to go

The CT was really unfortunate.  😢 I may be done to 2 beads - but I have paid a price since the first CT in summer of 2018. On the positive side - 2 beads is a good thing. My personal recommendation would be the method developed by @brassmonkey

People ask if it's anxiety and I respond that, no, it's a completely different category.  Not anything that there are words to describe, it's so horrific.  

Yeah no definitely not anxiety. It is doom. Terror, nightmarish...which are vague terms I guess but that’s literally what I mean. Because it’s a vague unease with the world as if in a nightmare. But nothing specifically nightmarish, just the feeling of being afraid and unsteady common to all nightmares.

I fortunately do not have this symptom if I’m careful with benzo taper. I did have it for a few months straight in 2017 after a rapid taper. 

Aug-Dec 2015 Prozac 20mg / Dec 2015-Feb 2016 Prozac 15mg / Feb 2016-May2016 Prozac 20mg

May 2016-June 2016 15mg

June 2016-August 2016 10mg

October 2016-January 2017 15mg, alternating agitation/akathisia sets in --> cold turkey

January 2017 Clonazepam .5mg 

February 2017 Clonazepam 1mg (for a week) then .5mg morning and .25mg evening for about a month. Came down to .25mg morning and evening. 

May 1, 2017 Clonazepam .25mg morning and .125mg evening. // May 20, 2017 Clonazepam .25mg morning and .0625 evening (.3125 total).

early June .28125 // early mid june .25mg // mid june .21875 // late june .1875 // early july .15625 // early mid july .125 

mid july .09375mg // late july .0625 //early August 2017 down to .03125mg once a day, hopped off in mid August

reinstated at .0625mg late August // Oct 16 - updose to .07mg and switch to oral Rosemont solution

Nov 17 2017 reinstate Prozac .5mg // Nov 21 2017 prozac 1.6mg // Dec 18 2017  3mg prozac / fast taper off the reinstatement -- probably completely off early Oct 2018

June 2019 begin tapering off .07mg Clonazepam, Finish taper December 2019

• 1 month later...
On 11/1/2019 at 9:14 PM, gardenlady said:

The emotional support was priceless and is what I thought this site was for, but I see that I'm mistaken.  The Relationships and Finding Meaning sections on this site get very, very low traffic and thus spotty, if any, responses to posts.

this makes me sad and I wish I had some good advice for you. I haven't read enough of your story to give you advice but I want to say, no matter how slowly you have tapered I think you need to hold and stabilize, just from what you describe. 

Currently taking Ramapril (blood pressure) 5 mg twice a day

Omeprazole 10 mg AM and 20 mg PM  (the taper has gone nowhere after the first cut)

Famotidine   once a day (and I still needs tums sometimes)

magnesium 200 mg at night

as of yesterday 2 fish oil capsules "EPA-DHA 1000"

off Lexapro as of 5/2018  - last dose had been 5 mg every other day for a couple years

highest dose had been 20 mg at which point I was diagnosed with Bipolar II, which went away when I cut the lexapro down to 15 mg. 

I spent years on Paxil before Lexapro (can't remember dose), briefly on Effexor and Abilify and others I have forgotten. in fact, when I was diagnoses with BPII I was put on all kinds of things which made me feel so bad I stopped them cold turkey within maybe 3 or 4 weeks, thank goodness. since then I've known these pills were terrible and I weaned down the Lexapro with zero help or support over I'm not sure how many years. 

• 3 weeks later...

gardenlady, I wanted to say that I hope your holidays are going okay. I read on another thread that you lost your home and friends etc to the psych drugs. I also lost most of my friends, a nice place to live and a job because of psychiatry, and often feel pretty alone.  If you ever want to talk please feel free to PM me.  Hoping you are having a peaceful time this season. Warm wishes to you, US

I am not a medical professional and nothing I say is a medical opinion or meant to be medical advice, please seek a competent and trusted medical professional to consult for all medical decisions.

As I get lower in dosage in my taper (30 Cymbalta beads/5.8 mg) and the more I slow it down (I go more slowly as the taper progresses and am now at a glacial pace), I'm getting symptoms that look like bipolar disorder even though I've never had it.  Specifically, I'm extremely negative and pessimistic, very talkative and without normal inhibitions so that I say rude and insulting things to people and it surprises even me.  It's gotten so bad that I cannot be around people at all anymore as I don't know what will come out of my mouth.  I've lost several friends because of this and I do wonder if others have experienced this in withdrawal and if it went away.  My entire personality has been hijacked and I've become a horrible, frightening freak whom no one wants to be around.  It's as if my entire person reeks, metaphorically, of body odor driving everyone away, as if a demonic force has overtaken me.  I'm sure a psychiatrist would label me with multiple mental illnesses and prescribe multiple drugs.  But, as I will never again go to a psychiatrist, I don't have to worry about that.

I'd just like some reassurance that this awful state does reverse itself once one is free of the offending medication and has given the brain time to heal.  I so long to be able to think and behave like a civil person again who doesn't drive others away.

I'm not asking for advice on tapering as I am doing a very, very slow (albeit agonizing) and proper taper.  I ask only about this horrible personality change and the likelihood of it reversing at some point. 

• Moderator Emeritus
5 hours ago, gardenlady said:

But, as I will never again go to a psychiatrist, I don't have to worry about that.

That is the most intelligent comment I've read today, gardenlady. 

5 hours ago, gardenlady said:

My entire personality has been hijacked and I've become a horrible, frightening freak whom no one wants to be around.

Please don't worry about your highjacked personality.  You're making complete sense. 

It's not unusual at all during withdrawal to have this happen. Try to keep a low profile so when you are back to yourself, you'll still have some contacts and can resume a social life when you feel up to getting out. 

This could be a way that your brain is protecting you from being overwhelmed by the different personalities of your friends, family, and other contacts. Right now, you need a quiet space so your brain/body can heal from the chemical trauma. 

These are powerful drugs with powerful effects, but you have insight into that, so that proves these are all just symptoms of withdrawal and nothing more.

Please don't give them any more power over you than that. 

On 10/27/2019 at 3:48 AM, gardenlady said:

I'm down to 37 beads/7.1 mg of Cymbalta.  I've been cutting one bead per week but will have to slow down but that means it will take years more to get off this poison.  Despite a slow, steady taper, it's been agonizing the whole way down.  I've been at this for 19 months now and may have 3 + years to go.  At age 67, it's pretty discouraging as I won't have that many years left even if I do heal.  I'm so very depressed and scared as I'm isolated, housebound and alone.  Because of the symptoms, I can't socialize or be around people.  The insomnia is terrible....I go for 2 days without sleep and then sleep some, but then stay awake again for 24-48 hrs.  And, I can sleep only in the daytime as my circadian rhythm is so messed up from the drug.  

ho @gardenlady I totally relate to the LSD trip. I’m fact on my thread you can see me describe the last 5 months for me have felt like a permanent bad acid trip. I hope that we both have a better year in 2020 

10 years on Sertraline 100mg. 75mg Dec 2016 - Apr 2017, 50mg May 2017 - Oct 2017, 37.5mg

2018 - Sertraline 25mg Mar -  July 2018, 13.75mg Aug- Sept 1.5 month (‘not accurately measured), came off completely 10 October, reinstated by doctor on 10 November 25 mg. 25 November raised to 50mg 2 December 100mg 11 December 150mg 30 November. Lorazepam started 2mg x daily 1 November

2019 - Sertraline reduced  to 100mg 5 Feb, 23 Feb 75mg, 18 Mar 50mg, 23 Apr 37.5mg, 1 Jun 25mg, 3 Jul 16mg, 3 Aug 8mg, updosed on 1 Sept to 16.67mg 

20 Feb lorazepam 2mg x day crossed over to diazepam 20mg x day over 2 week period to taper. diazepam reduced by 1mg every 2/3 weeks got down to 3.5mg in August. 

22 Sept resorted to taking 1mg lorazepam after sertraline destabilisation instead of diazepam. took lorazepam 1mg  x day 22 Sept - 28 Sept then returned to diazepam on 29  Sept 4mg,, 30 Sept 4.5mg  1 Oct 5mg 2 Oct 5mg  16 Nov 4.75mg. 15 Dec 5mg 29 Dec 4.75mg   Vortioxetine 5mg started 1 July. 14 July 10mg -Reduced on 20 July to 5mg. 12 Sept reduced to  3.75mg, 19 Sept reduced to 2.5mg, 15 Oct reduced to 2mg, 22 Oct 1.9mg, 29 Oct 1.8mg reduced down every 3 days and then daily stopped on 2 Dec

2020 - sertraline  8 Apr - 16mg 29 Apr - 15.5mg 13 may - 15.25mg may 19 - 15mg may 22- 14.75mg 22 Jun 14mg 6 July 13.3 - 20 July 12.6 - 3 August - 11.97 - 17 August 11.37. Held. Then started 2.5% fortnightly drops. 9.5mg 4 Dec

diazepam 19 Apr - 4.25mg 20 May - 4mg 20 Jun 3.75mg  4.25mg 22 Sept 4.5mg 29 Sept. 4.75ng Oct 5 Nov 10 4.5mg

19 hours ago, Shep said:

It's not unusual at all during withdrawal to have this happen. Try to keep a low profile so when you are back to yourself, you'll still have some contacts and can resume a social life when you feel up to getting out. 

This could be a way that your brain is protecting you from being overwhelmed by the different personalities of your friends, family, and other contacts. Right now, you need a quiet space so your brain/body can heal from the chemical trauma. 

Thank you for your reply and encouragement, Shep.  I really do appreciate it.  

My friends whom I can't see now because of my personality distortion are offended by my absence and simply can't understand why I have to live as a recluse.  They are hurt and think I don't want to be with them.  I've tried to explain, but it's gone on for so long now that they don't believe me, have lost patience and think I don't want to be friends anymore.    They are fed up with me as is my family and all other friends.  All of my relationships have been poisoned by this hideous drug and I'm completely alone.  

Because I have 2+ years to go in my taper and then who knows how many years of healing following that, should I expect to have this hideous personality for years to come?  At age 67, it's inconceivable to think I'll have to live like a hermit for that long.

12 hours ago, Kernol said:

ho @gardenlady I totally relate to the LSD trip. I’m fact on my thread you can see me describe the last 5 months for me have felt like a permanent bad acid trip. I hope that we both have a better year in 2020 

Yes, and this is despite doing a very, very slow taper.  People think that if only they had slow-tapered, they'd be ok.  I'm here to testify that that is simply not the case, at least not for everyone.  My slow taper has been brutal the whole way down and I have the same symptoms as those who went CT or did a rapid taper. 

• Moderator Emeritus
4 hours ago, gardenlady said:

I'm completely alone.  

Dear Gardenlady,

I know how hard it is To see how our relationships being damaged because of our symptoms. It is unfair, you're right, big pharma Will have a lot To answer.

BUT, you're not Alone. We may not replace your friends, but we can hold your hand and help you To go through this.

We are a lot in this situation, and we won't let you Alone ❤

2006 : 20mg Paxil+Bromazepam. 2008 : cold turkey of both. 2010 : Reinstatement 20mg Paxil + Bromazepam.

2014-June2017 : Switch from Bromazepam to Prazepam, slow taper to 0mg.

2018 to August 2019 : Paxil 20mg taper (3% every 15 days). 22 Aug 2019 updose to 10mg (was at 8.4mg).

25th Sept 2019 To April 2020 : found SA, holding at 10mg Paxil. 

April 2020 : Paxil 10mg to Prozac 7mg bridge. Details topic/21457

Current Supplements : magnesium citrate + fish oil

Current medication :

* 7pm Diazepam  : 0.85mg (15 Aug 2022) / 0.95 mg (24 April 2022) / 1mg Diazepam (since 29 Aug 2020)

* 8am Prozac : 6.16mg (25 oct 2022, feel awful, slight updose) / 6.08 mg (9 oct 2022) / 6.24mg (11 July 22) / 6.44mg (22 May 22) / 6.64mg (4 Nov 21) / 6.72mg (8 oct 21) / 6.8 mg (15 Sept 21)6.88mg (14 Aug 21)/ 6.92mg (23 Jun 21)

I am not a professional, I don't give medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

• Moderator Emeritus
6 hours ago, gardenlady said:

Because I have 2+ years to go in my taper and then who knows how many years of healing following that, should I expect to have this hideous personality for years to come?  At age 67, it's inconceivable to think I'll have to live like a hermit for that long.

1 hour ago, Erell said:

BUT, you're not Alone. We may not replace your friends, but we can hold your hand and help you To go through this.

We are a lot in this situation, and we won't let you Alone ❤

Gardenlady, what Erell posted is true. You are surrounded on this forum and by other forums like Benzo Buddies with people who understand exactly what you're going through.

For now, even though your world has been limited, try to make it as comfortable as possible. 

Have you seen this thread on Acceptance? 

Acceptance

In addition to the contacts you've made online, if you have favorite pieces of music, TV or internet programs, movies - all of these can be a source of company for you. Again, this isn't perfect and it isn't fair, but if you can make your world as comfortable as possible, surrounded by favorite music and distractions, and accept that this is the best you can do for your health and your recovery for now, it may help see you through. 

On 12/31/2019 at 10:50 PM, gardenlady said:

while I understand what you mean, I encourage you to try not to think that far out. the day you have in front of you is enough trouble, without looking ahead for years. 

I have trouble with this, too, when I am depressed the worst thing is thinking about long term because I'm seeing it with ...gray lenses, I guess, the opposite of rose-colored ones. 

it's like hiking up a mountain (something I did in Colorado): if you look up at the top it feels like you can't possibly get there.  but you have to look down at the trail right in front of you and then you know you can take the next step. and the next. and so on. 

Currently taking Ramapril (blood pressure) 5 mg twice a day

Omeprazole 10 mg AM and 20 mg PM  (the taper has gone nowhere after the first cut)

Famotidine   once a day (and I still needs tums sometimes)

magnesium 200 mg at night

as of yesterday 2 fish oil capsules "EPA-DHA 1000"

off Lexapro as of 5/2018  - last dose had been 5 mg every other day for a couple years

highest dose had been 20 mg at which point I was diagnosed with Bipolar II, which went away when I cut the lexapro down to 15 mg. 

I spent years on Paxil before Lexapro (can't remember dose), briefly on Effexor and Abilify and others I have forgotten. in fact, when I was diagnoses with BPII I was put on all kinds of things which made me feel so bad I stopped them cold turkey within maybe 3 or 4 weeks, thank goodness. since then I've known these pills were terrible and I weaned down the Lexapro with zero help or support over I'm not sure how many years. 

Hi. I just had a quick look over your signature.

I find it almost funny that you keep saying how you’re doing a very, very slow taper. 

You went from 43mg to 14mg within 1 year. This is not a slow taper. 

Slow tapering is hugely beneficial for most people - if I and many others tapered at the rate you have, I too would have a hugely exhausted nervous system. 

To give you some perspective, I’ve gone from 45mg to 20mg in 2.5 years. I’ve been functional but have had some moderate symptoms and still struggle a lot at times - but that’s tapering. I’ve also had a lot of good periods of time. 

You may want to slow down on your tapering. 

All the best - you’ll manage fine but need to listen to your body.

Started Citalopram in 2005 (aged 15) for apparent "OCD" - 60mg 

July 2015 attempted 2 x 10% + cuts 4 weeks apart. WD symptoms intense at times. Need to slow down.

November 2016 - Resumed taper. 1.25 - 1.5% decrease weekly approx.

44.5mg November 2016. Jan 2017 42.5 mg. March 2017 40 mg. June 2017 37mg. September 2018 22mg. Nov 2018 Holding at 22mg to stabilise from moderate wave. January 2020 - Holding, mostly feeling fine, but still having some waves at times. 

February 2020 - Resumed taper , 1.5% reduction weekly/every two weeks. 

1 hour ago, nick1990 said:

Hi. I just had a quick look over your signature.

You went from 43mg to 14mg within 1 year. This is not a slow taper. 

Slow tapering is hugely beneficial for most people - if I and many others tapered at the rate you have, I too would have a hugely exhausted nervous system. 

To give you some perspective, I’ve gone from 45mg to 20mg in 2.5 years. I’ve been functional but have had some moderate symptoms and still struggle a lot at times - but that’s tapering. I’ve also had a lot of good periods of time. 

You may want to slow down on your tapering. 

All the best - you’ll manage fine but need to listen to your body.

Hello Gardenlady, must admit, that's what I was thinking, but didn't want to post because you kept saying NOT to tell you to go slower as you are already going at a 'glacial pace'. I know you must feel like it's glacial and believe me, I can empathise with the frustration...I'm very much a person who wants done with this whole dam thing!

E.g. 2019- April 14 mg; June 11 mg; Aug 9 mg; Oct 7 mg; Nov 6 mg

However, you are tapering consistently at just over ten percent a month, according to the above, with no holds for your nervous system to catch up, and it does seem like your body is telling you to stop it. That's what strikes me, there's no space for holding and waiting.

I would be wrecked on that schedule, especially on an SNRI with a short half life.....I see you're on Duloxetine/ Cymbalta, I'm on the equally evil cousin, Venlafaxine.

The reason people suggest to slow down is because that's what it sounds like your body is telling you to do. Bear in mind also that lots of people can't make cuts of ten per cent every four weeks as the dosage gets lower, because it creates too much of a reduction in receptor occupancy (and who knows what else) for their CNS to tolerate. They have to do smaller percentage cuts eg five percent every four weeks AND HOLD.

Of course, it's your body and it's up to you. Personally, in your position, I'd be holding and settling a bit.

January 2008 to April 2015 Citalopram 20mg to 5mg, reducing in 50 per cent leaps. Jumped off at 5mg

March 2016 used MDMA triggered setback

April 2016 Citalopram 10mg October 2016 cut to 5mg, May 2017 cut to 2.5mg

May 2018 used MDMA triggered setback

June 2018 Citalopram 2.5mg up to 10mg, then back to 5mg

July/ August 2018 7.5mg, then 10mg

June 2019 updosed to 20mg Citalopram

August 2019 cold switch to Venlafaxine 75mg XR

Supplements; 1100mg fish oil daily; also 100mg Magnesium Glycinate. Tried Vagifem 10mcg from mid May 2021 to mid June 2021; caused depression, so stopped.

• Administrator

Good advice from nick1990 and sunnysideup. You've been pushing ahead for a long time:

On 12/12/2018 at 11:53 AM, Altostrata said:

There's no shame in holding for a while until you feel more confident.

Are you still taking these drugs as well as Cymbalta?

On 5/25/2019 at 12:14 PM, gardenlady said:

Synthroid - 88 mcg

Rosuvastatin - 5 mg

Estradiol - .5 mg

Medroxyprogestrone - 2.5 mg

Vitamin D - 5K units

Cymbalta - 12.3 mg, currently tapering

CalMagZinc -  1000/500/25 mg

Nordic Natural Omega 3 - 2840 mg

When was the last time you had your thyroid levels checked? Too much or too little thyroid hormone can cause some of the symptoms you report. Rosuvastatin and the steroids might also have side effects.

Please put ALL your drugs in the drug interactions checker and post a link to the report in this topic.

I see we've asked you for daily notes before, to check whether you have adverse drug reactions, but you posted a partial day only one time. How about some daily notes?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

2 hours ago, Altostrata said:

Good advice from nick1990 and sunnysideup. You've been pushing ahead for a long time:

Are you still taking these drugs as well as Cymbalta?

When was the last time you had your thyroid levels checked? Too much or too little thyroid hormone can cause some of the symptoms you report. Rosuvastatin and the steroids might also have side effects.

Please put ALL your drugs in the drug interactions checker and post a link to the report in this topic.

I see we've asked you for daily notes before, to check whether you have adverse drug reactions, but you posted a partial day only one time. How about some daily notes?

Yes, I am still taking the drugs in the list.  There are no significant drug interactions but I don't know how to show the report in this post.

My TSH levels are normal and I have my thyroid levels checked every 6 months as I have for 20 years.  I am post-radioactive iodine ablation for Graves disease and so have no thyroid function.  

I've been taking estradiol & medroxyprogesterone for hormone replacement for 20 years without problem, so I can't attribute my symptoms to them or to the statin which I've taken for years without issue.  You mention steroids....I wasn't aware any of the drugs I take are steroids.  Are hormones steroids?  I plan to taper off of the estrogen and progesterone but cannot do so while tapering Cymbalta as I have savage hot flashes every 30 min without them as well as other symptoms.  It's going to be a rough go getting off of the hormones even without the complicating factor of AD withdrawal.  My endocrinologist wants me off of them by the time I turn 70 due to increased cancer risk.  I'm 67 now. 

I manifested troublesome symptoms when an idiot psychiatriast switched me from lexapro to Cymbalta in Sep 2016.  I immediately developed akathisia, insomnia and a host of other symptoms which my doctor ignored so I decided to not go back to her and to commence tapering on my own.   Symptoms worsened with tapering and never abated.  The presence of the drug causes illness which is why I've been unstable since starting it. I'm sick on it and sicker tapering it, so it's a bit of a dilemma.  I think that only when I'm off of Cymbalta will I begin to heal.  

Daily notes are difficult as my sleep pattern is bizarre so that no two days are the same other than symptoms which don't vary at all during a 24 hour period.  The same symptoms are always present without variation regardless of drug dosing schedule and food intake.  But, yesterday was:

8 am: wake up with dread, doom, terror, dp/dr, akathisia. Take synthroid & go back to intermittent sleep every 1-2 hrs.

2 pm: wake up with dread, doom, terror, dp/dr, akathisia.  Take Cymbalta, rosuvastatin, Vit D, Cal-Mag-Zinc.  Coffee, toast.

7 pm: Dread, doom, terror, dp/dr, akathisia.  Dinner

1 am: Dread, doom, terror, dp/dr, akathisia.  Take estradiol & medroxyprogesterone, Cal-Mag-Zinc

6 am: Sleep for 1 to 2 hrs.

• Administrator

Yes, hormones are steroids.

As you get older, your body handles drugs differently. This applies to all the drugs you're been taking for years.

Even if your thyroid tests are "normal", you may be taking too much thyroid hormone. Are your current symptoms similar to what you experienced when you had Graves? Have you talked to your endocrinologist about your symptoms? You're taking 3 drugs an endocrinologist might want to review.

You can copy the URL for your drug interactions report and paste it in this topic.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Yes, my endocrindologist is well aware of my medications and as I see him twice a year, he is current on my situation, although he doesn't believe in antidepressant withdrawal so it's pointless to discuss it with him.  My sudden adverse reaction to and subsequent withdrawal symptoms from Cymbalta are unique to and more severe than anything I've ever experienced so I attribute them to it and not to the Synthroid, HRT or statin.  

• Administrator

Other than Cymbalta, you've been taking your drugs on the same schedule, at the same dosages, since before 2016?

Yes.  

• 3 months later...
  • Administrator

gardenlady, are you still having symptoms of Graves? What have your endocrinological tests shown?