SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Getting compound custom dosages at compounding pharmacies (US, UK, Canada, and elsewhere)

Altostrata

• Moderator Emeritus

@brassmonkey Sorry to bother you but I'd like your opinion anyway - thanks.  I just found the photo in Grind's Intro topic.  The other post was a new topic with no photo.

@Grind80

The size of the actual capsule has nothing to do with the dose is contained inside the capsule.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

My lack of trust in other people's technical skills has always led me to doing things myself. I would, at least, find another pharmacy, but would recommend getting a set of scales and some gel caps and learning to do it myself. It's really quite easy after the first few times.

Any legal battle will be a very expensive, uphill climb and will probably end up taking more time and being more trouble than it is worth. You can, however, report it to the state pharmacy board and the like.

Quite true, the size of the capsule, does not indicate the strength of the dose.

Edited by brassmonkey

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

• 2 months later...

For a good compounding pharmacist in Geelong, Victoria, Australia try the Soul Pattinson Chemist https://www.healthdirect.gov.au/australian-health-services/20111469/geelong-soul-pattinson-chemist/services/geelong-3220-yarra.

They seem very professional. One capsule costs $AU1 so it’s not cheap.

Age 16 (1995 - 2000) -Paroxetine
Age 21 (2000-2004) - Effexor 37.5mg
Age 24 (2004-2012) - Lexapro (70mg), Xanax minimum 2mg Xanax a day
About 32 (2012-2017?) - Every mood stabiliser under the sun (not at the same time) and minimum 2mg Xanax a day; occasional amisulpride 
About 35 (2017-current) - Lurasidone 80 mg, quickly titrated down to 40mg, Pristiq (50 mg), minimum of 2mg Xanax a day
About 41 (2020) Switched from Xanax to clonazepam and started tapering at 0.125 mg each reduction, tapered off Pristiq with a cross taper at the end, low dose of dextroamphetamine.
Age 42 (2021) Tried to taper off Lurasidone three times. Quick taper from 40mg to 0 mg over a couple of months the first time. Reinstated at 20mg. Tried twice more to taper from 20 mg to 0 mg dropping by 5 mg each reduction (about every 2 weeks).
Age 42-43 (April 2022) 20mg-18mg; May 18mg-16mg; June 16-14mg; September 14-12mg; September 12-14mg reinstated. February 2023 - hiccup with brand change, Back to Apotek brand and switch to homemade suspension.

Age 44 (August 2023 -restarted clonazepam taper). Start dose 0.375mg. 1/9/2023 - 0.365mg; 1/10/2023 - 0.324mg; 1/11/2023 - 0.264mg; 1/12/2023 - 0.25 mg (holding); 1/2/2024 - 0.232mg; 1/3/2024 - 0.221mg

Health regimen: walks, hot/cold showers, ice baths, breathwork, mostly healthy diet, therapy...... Open to ideas! Supplements: Milk Kefir, Mag, Omega 3, CBD/THC.

• 6 months later...

Are there compounding pharmacies in the UK?

Prescribed both Cymbalta 30mg and Dexamphetamine 2.5mg up to x3 times daily since 2015. Started the Cymbalta a month or two after starting the Dexamphetamine

Tapering:

26/12/20 - 0.168

17/01/21 - 0.165

05/03/21 - 0.163

25/04/21 - 0.161

26/05/21 - 0.160

Supplements:

x1 5000iu Vit D each morning

x2 Table spoons of Paradox Omega 3-6-9 Liquid each morning

x1 Zinc Picolinate 30mg balanced with copper each evening

x1 Solgar VM 75 Multivitamin taken every other day

• 4 months later...

When using a compounding pharmacy, what are the typical options available? (I am not sure where to ask this, but I figured this might be a good thread?)

I am using Sertraline which only comes from the manufacturer in an oral solution of 20mg/mL. If I want 1mg of solution, I would have to dispense 0.05mL of solution, which is incredibly small and pushes the limit of a syringe. 

I figured that getting a custom compounded solution would be the answer here, but the way that the compounding pharmacy would do it is to crush up the 25mg tablets from the manufacturer and then put it in an oral suspension (which is different from a solution, by my understanding). I have no issue with this, other than the fact that the suspension is so thick that it is hard to get small bubbles out of the syringe before taking the dose. These bubbles will no doubt cause daily deviations in dose, which have a good chance of causing instability.

If the suspension was less viscous/thick and behaved more like water (or an oral solution), the bubbles could rise to the top and easily be removed.

I know that there are options of premade capsule, the oral solution or crushed tablets made into an oral suspension. The pharmacy isn't allowed to dilute the manufactured oral solution apparently. Has anyone had issues like this? What are the options available? I figured using a compound pharmacy would be more accurate and convenient than doing anything on my own. 

The reason I am so careful about this, is because of the SERT occupancy hyperbolic relationship. At those low doses, a small change in dose can cause a significant change in occupancy (I am sure everyone is aware of this). So it is especially important to be precise at these low doses. This means that these small bubbles are a variable that shouldn't be allowed in the syringe.

Thanks,

Wilson

2012-2015 Sertraline (Zoloft) 100 mg
2015-2017 Sertraline 50 mg, Bupropion XL (Wellbutrin) 150 mg
2018 April - Sept Sertraline 100mg
2018 Sept - Dec Sertraline 50mg, Bupropion XL 150 mg
2019 May - August Escitalopram 5mg
2019 Sept - November Trintellix 10mg
At Zero November 8, 2019
May 24 2021 Citalopram 10mg (Hospitalized)
June 17 2021 Citalopram 5mg (Adverse effects)
July 6 2021 Citalopram Zero (Quick taper due to bad results)
Nov 7 2021 Fluoxetine (Prozac) 5mg (only used a few days)

I am in the same boat as you .  It doesnt seem like you had a bite on this question.  Have you found any compound pharmacies that specialize in this?  I am on the East Coast too in NY .  I found one in Toronto but they cant help.  

1991- Put on Prozac for menstrual problems 1991-2000: On Zoloft most of this time , 100mg . Max .2002 - Miscarriage . Proceeded to go off medication due to this. Got pregnant 2nd and was off medication for first trimester. Servere withdrawl problems went back on after first trimester. .2003-2010 Continued on Zoloft, Strattera 2010-2014 Lamictal Added. 2016 - Frontal Lobe Brain Tumor Discovered 2017 - Brain Surgery - stopped any attempts to taper. 2019 - 6 month polydrugged episode that included Lorazapeam,Rexulti,Pristiq,Gabapentin,Cymbalta,Ensam (after off antidepressants), Latuda, Abilify and Prozac. End of 2019 in October ended up in hospital with Akathesia and a slew of other symptoms. 2020-2021 Successfully tapered off: Lamictal, and all other meds except Lorazapam . Did a taper for 18 months off Lorazapam - Milk taper. 2021-current :Been tapering off Zoloft since February 2021 with good success at 29.9mg. Other Meds and Supplement .01 mg of biodentical Estridol and 100 mg progesterone (bioidentical) Vita C, Vita D, Omegas, Probitoics, Multiple Vitamin, Melatonin 2.5 mg. (at night), Apple Pectin.

@Gigi66 I recently just received the Maudsley Deprescribing Guide by Dr. Mark Horowitz and Dr. David Taylor. It has a wealth of knowledge. The recommendation in the book seems to be to get the manufactured liquid oral solution and to dilute it with water after you are trying to achieve a dose lower than a certain milligram (I don't remember what it is off hand).

It seems to me that going with the manufactured liquid solution (which is 20mg/mL concentration) and either diluting it and then using a syringe/micropipette OR just using a micropipette with the original concentration (again 20mg/mL), would be the way to go.

But again, the recommended method by the book is to us the manufactured solution and dilute it with water once you reach a certain dose.

As far as compounding pharmacies go, there are some locally to me that would crush up the pills into a powder and then put it in a suspension, but I had issues with bubbles that I couldn't get out of the syringe. I will be using the manufactured liquid.

At Zero November 8, 2019

@Gigi66 I also wanted to mention, that I had thought about using the manufactured oral solution and not diluting it. Instead, I would use the micropipette to put it in an empty vegetarian capsule (something like what supplements come in). That way I wouldn't have to mess with mixing the solution with something to drink it with (you are typically supposed to mix your dose with water/fruit juice to take it, if its undiluted).

The only thing I am not sure about, is how long the veggie capsule would last. I would have to take the capsule immediately, because veggie capsules dissolve in liquids.

I am not sure if anyone else has done this or not, and I am not sure who to ask about this either.

At Zero November 8, 2019

4 hours ago, Wilsonnn said:

@Gigi66 I recently just received the Maudsley Deprescribing Guide by Dr. Mark Horowitz and Dr. David Taylor. It has a wealth of knowledge. The recommendation in the book seems to be to get the manufactured liquid oral solution and to dilute it with water after you are trying to achieve a dose lower than a certain milligram (I don't remember what it is off hand).

It seems to me that going with the manufactured liquid solution (which is 20mg/mL concentration) and either diluting it and then using a syringe/micropipette OR just using a micropipette with the original concentration (again 20mg/mL), would be the way to go.

But again, the recommended method by the book is to us the manufactured solution and dilute it with water once you reach a certain dose.

As far as compounding pharmacies go, there are some locally to me that would crush up the pills into a powder and then put it in a suspension, but I had issues with bubbles that I couldn't get out of the syringe. I will be using the manufactured liquid.

Does that book you purchased explain exactly how to go about this and explain the measuring etc.  Because the math is where I get messed up . I am at 23.3 right now and it is impossible to be accurate at this point with these methods.  Found a compound pharmacy in Oregon that actually works with people like us and will dose down to .04.  However, they are not licensed in NY .  As for Dr. Horwitz they have started a "company" of some kind .  Opening up in US this year. I am on waiting list.  Have no idea what is involved and expect exorbinate costs involved that I cant afford.  Either way thought I look into it .  Have a information meeting with one of their people online in March. I just cant keep doing this taper on my own with the cutting. The scale is inaccurate and as far as I am concern .05 deviation on scale is too much. (manufacturer quotes this as a possibility) Here is the place Dr. Horowitz is starting , running in Canada I believe already . https://www.outro.com/

1991- Put on Prozac for menstrual problems 1991-2000: On Zoloft most of this time , 100mg . Max .2002 - Miscarriage . Proceeded to go off medication due to this. Got pregnant 2nd and was off medication for first trimester. Servere withdrawl problems went back on after first trimester. .2003-2010 Continued on Zoloft, Strattera 2010-2014 Lamictal Added. 2016 - Frontal Lobe Brain Tumor Discovered 2017 - Brain Surgery - stopped any attempts to taper. 2019 - 6 month polydrugged episode that included Lorazapeam,Rexulti,Pristiq,Gabapentin,Cymbalta,Ensam (after off antidepressants), Latuda, Abilify and Prozac. End of 2019 in October ended up in hospital with Akathesia and a slew of other symptoms. 2020-2021 Successfully tapered off: Lamictal, and all other meds except Lorazapam . Did a taper for 18 months off Lorazapam - Milk taper. 2021-current :Been tapering off Zoloft since February 2021 with good success at 29.9mg. Other Meds and Supplement .01 mg of biodentical Estridol and 100 mg progesterone (bioidentical) Vita C, Vita D, Omegas, Probitoics, Multiple Vitamin, Melatonin 2.5 mg. (at night), Apple Pectin.

1 hour ago, Gigi66 said:

Found a compound pharmacy in Oregon that actually works with people like us and will dose down to .04.

Would you mind sharing the name of the pharmacy? I am in Oregon! 

August 4, 2023 to September 7, 2023 5 to 10 mg Ambien per night, 1 mg Ativan as needed. Estimated 1 every other day.

September 7, 2023 100 MG Seroquel -> November 1, 2023 87.5 MG -> Dec 1, 2023 82 MG -> Dec 21, 2023 75 MG -> January 12, 2023 70 MG 

Not sure if I'm allowed to post YouTube links here, but check this one out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiyaPfzeACs&list=PL9wKvL_D79bfZlGKnYAb7jvCfgzGyCC-k&index=9

Dr. Josef Witt-Doerring has a channel on YouTube for deprescribing. He goes over how to use liquids. I highly recommend you go look around on his page, it was very helpful to me. Hopefully this helps.

At 23.3mg of Zoloft, you can just use the manufactured oral solution (20mg/mL) that you can get from virtually any pharmacy. Your doctor has to prescribe the liquid though.

20mg/mL is 0.05mL/mg (the math is 1mL/20mg=0.05mL/mg). Then just take the 0.05mL/mg * 23.3mg (which is your target dose) = 1.165mL

You can use a 1mL syringe and a 0.5mL syringe to achieve that. I am not sure about the accuracy of the syringe down to the thousandths place (the 5's place in 1.165), you should be able to get it accurate to the hundredths place though (the 6's place in 1.165)

Alternatively you can dilute the manufactured solution with water and make a 2mg/mL solution (or whatever concentration you like). Diluting the oral solution is what is recommended by the book. I am not sure about using a compounding pharmacy. I know compounding pharmacies can crush the pills and make a oral suspension.. I am not sure if they can make an oral solution, which would be less thick than the suspension (I had problems with not being able to get bubbles out of the syringe with the suspension). I do know there are things called taper strips which can help with medication tapering. They can be found at https://www.taperingstrip.com/

As far as the book goes, there are tables with examples of slow/moderate/fast tapers, but even the slowest taper drops from 25mg to 22mg to 19mg, and so on, dropping at smaller dosages as you get closer to zero.

At Zero November 8, 2019

3 hours ago, Ottergirl said:

Would you mind sharing the name of the pharmacy? I am in Oregon! 

oh isnt that funny.  Okay well I do a lot of researching and sometimes hard to remember or back track stuff that that I discard because it isnt what I am looking for.   So to the best of my ability I have two numbers of pharmacies in OR.  Now I think somewhere I came upon one of them that was mentioning they worked with people who taper from these drugs but I dont know where I saw this.  Also there was one in toronto, so I am hoping it is not that one that was the one the article talked about.  Here are the two pharmacies I called them both, but just remember they were not licensed to deal with NY.

https://www.northwestcompounders.com/human-compounding/ 503-352-3811

https://lcrx.com/refills/ 503-281-4161

I am sorry I dont remember the particulars , even after a couple days things dont stay in my head for long.  I hope something works out for you let me know if you like to. 

2 hours ago, Wilsonnn said:

Not sure if I'm allowed to post YouTube links here, but check this one out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiyaPfzeACs&list=PL9wKvL_D79bfZlGKnYAb7jvCfgzGyCC-k&index=9

Dr. Josef Witt-Doerring has a channel on YouTube for deprescribing. He goes over how to use liquids. I highly recommend you go look around on his page, it was very helpful to me. Hopefully this helps.

At 23.3mg of Zoloft, you can just use the manufactured oral solution (20mg/mL) that you can get from virtually any pharmacy. Your doctor has to prescribe the liquid though.

20mg/mL is 0.05mL/mg (the math is 1mL/20mg=0.05mL/mg). Then just take the 0.05mL/mg * 23.3mg (which is your target dose) = 1.165mL

You can use a 1mL syringe and a 0.5mL syringe to achieve that. I am not sure about the accuracy of the syringe down to the thousandths place (the 5's place in 1.165), you should be able to get it accurate to the hundredths place though (the 6's place in 1.165)

Alternatively you can dilute the manufactured solution with water and make a 2mg/mL solution (or whatever concentration you like). Diluting the oral solution is what is recommended by the book. I am not sure about using a compounding pharmacy. I know compounding pharmacies can crush the pills and make a oral suspension.. I am not sure if they can make an oral solution, which would be less thick than the suspension (I had problems with not being able to get bubbles out of the syringe with the suspension). I do know there are things called taper strips which can help with medication tapering. They can be found at https://www.taperingstrip.com/

As far as the book goes, there are tables with examples of slow/moderate/fast tapers, but even the slowest taper drops from 25mg to 22mg to 19mg, and so on, dropping at smaller dosages as you get closer to zero.

Thank you for your thorough explanation you are defintely good on the math side of things.  I will see if I can be comfortable with this .  The thing for me is I have been on so long (30 years) and I am so sensitive to dropping down. I have seen the tapering strips before but my prescriber is uneasy because it is happening across countries.   Really I think things are starting to change but will it change in time to make it easier on all of us that are tapering now.  Thank for the link I will look into this more as well.  So kind of you to take the time.  

On 2/24/2024 at 9:13 AM, Wilsonnn said:

I will look up this guide . I recently signed up on their website for information.  So we see where that will go . Thank you for taking the time to explain more to me. 

• 2 weeks later...

I've been having a look for compounding pharmacies in the UK, and the options seem very limited in comparison to the US and Australia.

The only one I could find was Roseway Labs, I sent off a quick message for a quote and will see how much it would cost.

Active Monday-Friday UK time

MEDICATION:

1) Sertraline:

50mg - Oct 2020, 100mg - Dec 2020, 50mg - April 2021, 75mg - May 2021, 50mg - Sep 2021; Failed taper attempt (50 -> 49) - Jan 2024; Second attempt to start taper - 17 Feb 2024

Current dose: 48.9mg (Feb 2024)

2) Mirtazapine:

15mg  - Nov 2020

SUPPLEMENTS:

Cod liver oil

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy