compsports

Iron supplement recommendations

compsports

I may need to take an iron supplement due to concerns about anemia.   Any recommendations from people on this site who have used them?  Tried doing a search to no avail.

Thanks!

CS

compsports

No one has used iron supplements?   

Psycritic

I use an iron supplement from Innate Response but it really upsets my stomach, most probably due to gastritis.

UnfoldingSky

I know this isn't much help, but, I had borderline low iron, and they gave me some kind of pill, which I was worried about taking as it had many ingredients I was not sure about.  Instead I used a liquid iron supplement, I'm forgetting the name of it just now, I probably could dig it up though with some effort.  It was in a white, orange and blue box..that much I recall.  However it didn't contain that much iron.  But with the possibility of withdrawal-related supplement sensitivity I didn't want to start at a high dose anyway. Even with it just being a small amount it seemed a bit hard on my stomach.

I will likely be getting my levels tested again soon though so if I have to take something again I'll let you know if it works out. For now I am trying to keep it up with iron-rich foods, spinach, beets, etc...Though I realize if you have a problem that is more serious than mine that this sort of thing likely won't cut it.

compsports

Just to clarify, I am having a procedure under general anesthesia a week from Monday and due to concern about anemia, will talk to my doctor about taking an iron supplement tomorrow.   I was told to stop the multivitamin with iron due to the vitamin E which is supposed to be a blood thinner even at a low dose.   As a result, I am trying to eat more foods with iron but I suspect I will still need an iron supplement.

Psycritic, I am sorry that happened to you.   That is exactly what I fear and is the reason I would prefer to continue the multivitamin with the iron as I don't like taking any supplement in isolation.   

Unfolding Sky, thanks I will see what I can find.   Again, I hope the doc is reasonable and lets me stay on the multivitamin with the iron.   But I have to be prepared in case he says no.

sunnygirl12

I've been using Floradix liquid iron and vitamin formula. I'm a little concerned though that it might darken my teeth, I read some reviews of that happening on this product.

My gynecologist happened to test my ferritin on my last visit and it was only 23. I still need to set up an appointment with my G.P. Probably from absorbtion issues from Remeron.

compsports

Thanks Sunnygirl, it looks like a great product.  Unfortunately, it has herbs which are banned 7 days preoperatively.   Sorry, I should have mentioned that.

Hopefully, I will get this issue settled this morning.

Amazing how psych meds cause so many difficulties.  I hope you get your absorption issues resolved.

UnfoldingSky

comp, I hope your procedure goes well!  I'd heard that about vit. E too though didn't think they'd be sticky about something like a multivitamin.   

AmyK

I take iron supplement since november, when I discovered I had only 6 in ferritin.

I live in Sweden but it's called Duroferon.(Fe2+)

100 mg tablett. I take200 mg each day. No side effects.

It's only iron.

Psycritic

Compsports, my gastritis was much worsened when I took NSAID at very high dose. Could be that it gave me a small ulcer.

compsports

US, thanks for your well wishes.   Called doctor who said it was ok to take multivitamin with iron.   Hopefully, between eating the liver and taking this, things will be ok.

When I had a septoplasty in 2015, I was told taking the multi was fine as they were concerned with extreme amounts of vitamin E.  It is frustrating when there is no consistent policy but such is life in the health care world.

Amy K, thanks for the name of the iron supplement.   Since I can take the multi with the iron, I will go with that for now.   But will keep it on hand in case I need it in the future.

Psycritic, that could very well be about the gastritis.

Sorry folks for my panicky initial posts.   When I was told initially the multi was banned 7 days before surgery, I should have called my doctor right away asking to take it.   If god forbid there is a next time, I will know better.

Rachellynn

So......anyone here ever had to take an Iron pill during their cycle? My iron is low...just want to revisit and see what the experiences have been❤️