SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

TryingToHoldOn: Sertraline - protracted WD 6 months after last dose?

TryingToHoldOn

7/6/18...continued

10pm: bed, feel wide awake

7/7/18

12am: sleep, according to Fitbit, dreams

4am: awake

5am: fell back asleep, dreams

5:45am: anxiety, adrenaline surges

8:30am: omega 3, vit D, probiotic

9am: sausage

10am: tingling face, forehead, cheeks, burning brain

12pm: poisoned feeling, burning skin

2pm: pork, broccoli, sweet potatoe

4pm: anhedonia

6:45pm: pork, asparagus, water

7:15pm: celexa 1.25mg

8:30pm: burning back, tight face, burning brain, feels like cold radiating from skin - is this an adverse reaction?  I’ve had symptoms like this before, but this occurred a little more than an hour after taking the celexa.

10pm: muscle twitching and jerking

7/8/18

12am: sleep, lots of dreaming

5am: awake, anxiety, agitated, tight chest, burning back & hands

rest of the day feeling agitated with poisoned feeling coming in periodically, tears through the day, feeling as if there is only one option to end this torture.

8:30pm: symptoms lift a little, agitation let’s up am able to relax or feel slightly more relaxed

12am: bed, restless, agitated

2am: wake

4am: wake

6am: wake

8am: agitated, restless, face burning, body burning, poisoned feeling, bed bound

4:15pm:  same symptoms remain as 8am

Mid 2014 - June 2016 (~ 2.5 yrs): sertraline 75mg. Under advice of my Pysch NP, weaned off in 1 month

Sept 2017 - Feb 2017 (6 months): Latuda (dose 20mg up to 80mg). Under advice of Psych NP, weaned off in 6 weeks (Jan - mid Feb). Tirtated down 20mg every 2 weeks.

Nov 2017 - Feb 2017 (3 months): lamictal 100mg. Abruptly taken off. This was the "wean": 100mg, 50mg, then off

Feb 2017: sertraline 150mg for 1 week to bring me out of a severe suicidal depression. Abruptly stopped due to serotonin syndrome. Tried to reinstate 50mg a week later, but the serotonin syndrome symptoms came back. Not possible to reinstate sertraline.

March 2017: remeron 7.5mg. Took one dose that knocked me out for two days. Refused to take it again

February 2017 - March 2017: Ativan 1mg. Took 5 pills total spread out over the course of 3 weeks. No longer taking it.

6/16/18 - 6/26: celexa 1.25mg

6/27/18 - 6/29: celexa 2.5mg, 6/29 had burning and agitation within 30min of dose

6/30/18 - present: celexa 1.25mg

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TryingToHoldOn

• Littlegrandma

• Rosetta

• RachelSusan

Top Posters In This Topic

@Altostrata

Since introducing celexa i’ve had a reduction in the intense head pressure and the brain damaged/shutdown feeling has noticeable improved.  I also had 3-4 days of good/tolerable symptoms to be slammed with horrendous symptoms again.

I *think* I feel more agitated on my bad days (maybe akathisia).  However, there is no set pattern.  Sometimes this comes on shortly after I take the celexa, but other times i’m completely calm after taking the celexa.

Can you tell from my symptoms schedule is this appears to be working?  In some ways it feels like it followed my normal symptom pattern as before adding celexa, except my head has never been as clear.  I do believe this is a benefit of the celexa.  I’m just concerned about the agitation/akathisia feeling.  Can reinstatement help this or does it tend to get worse?

Thank you

Mid 2014 - June 2016 (~ 2.5 yrs): sertraline 75mg. Under advice of my Pysch NP, weaned off in 1 month

Sept 2017 - Feb 2017 (6 months): Latuda (dose 20mg up to 80mg). Under advice of Psych NP, weaned off in 6 weeks (Jan - mid Feb). Tirtated down 20mg every 2 weeks.

Nov 2017 - Feb 2017 (3 months): lamictal 100mg. Abruptly taken off. This was the "wean": 100mg, 50mg, then off

Feb 2017: sertraline 150mg for 1 week to bring me out of a severe suicidal depression. Abruptly stopped due to serotonin syndrome. Tried to reinstate 50mg a week later, but the serotonin syndrome symptoms came back. Not possible to reinstate sertraline.

March 2017: remeron 7.5mg. Took one dose that knocked me out for two days. Refused to take it again

February 2017 - March 2017: Ativan 1mg. Took 5 pills total spread out over the course of 3 weeks. No longer taking it.

6/27/18 - 6/29: celexa 2.5mg, 6/29 had burning and agitation within 30min of dose

• Administrator

It sounds like the small amount of Celexa is helping. It's only been 10 days. Have the waves been lessening in frequency?

Do you drink caffeine or anything that's stimulating?

See What is withdrawal syndrome?

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization 

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

7/9/18

8:45pm: yawning, feel tired, cold radiating from skin

9:30pm: agitated, burning back, hands & feet

10pm: bed, wide awake, no sleep

7/10/18

2am: sleep (according to Fitbit)

5:45am: wake, anxiety, tight chest, burning brain, sick poisoned feeling

*bed bound all day, symptoms varied in intensity: internal vibrations, burning, muscle twitches & jerks, weird forehead pressure, pressure in back of head, tightness & burning in face, anxiety, seizure like feelings

7pm: eggs, toast, ginger tea & water

7:45pm: anxiety, crying, panic, weird forehead sensations, internal vibrations

9:30pm: no agitation, tightness in forehead & face

10:30pm: bed, feel wide awake

7/11/18

12am: sleep ~20 min

12:30am: wake

4am: sleep ~ 30 min

7am: anxiety, headpressure, muscle twitching & jerking, dizziness, POTS

9am: kids to camp

10am: panic, anxiety, crying

10:30am: banana, water, ginger tea, head pressure, clogged ears

10:45am: bed

12:45pm: shower

1pm: pasta, Brussels sprouts, water

1:30pm: bed again

2pm: burning back, hands, feet, slight agitation, poisoned feeling coming back

On 7/10/2018 at 12:41 PM, Altostrata said:

It sounds like the small amount of Celexa is helping. It's only been 10 days. Have the waves been lessening in frequency?

Do you drink caffeine or anything that's stimulating?

See What is withdrawal syndrome?

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization 

I started the celexa on 6/16 so i’ve been  On it for 25 days. According to my journal, there has been slight improvement especially with cognitive functioning, but an increase in agitation.  Also, my feet and hands burn now which is a new symptom, but i’ve Always had burning back, brain, head and face.  Not sure what to think.

Thinking of you.  Hoping the ri will help you.

Hope the Mods have something to say about the agitation.  That is very troubling to experience.

-Rosetta

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/16629-rosetta-ct-may-2011-too-fast-taper-feb-2017/?page=25

2001-2011 Celexa 10 mg raised to 40 mg then 60 mg over this time period

May 2011 OB Doctor's Cold switch Celexa 60 mg to 10 mg Zoloft sertraline (baby born)

2012-2016 - Doctors raised dose of Zoloft up to 150 mg

2016 - Xanax prescribed - as needed - 0.5 mg about every 3 days (bad reaction)

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Late 2016- Began (too fast) taper of Zoloft

Early 2017 - Trazodone prescribed for bedtime (doseage unknown)

Feb 2017 - Completed taper/stopped Trazodone

Drug free since Feb 2017

2017 - Unisom otc very rarely for sleep

• Administrator

Trying, why are you taking Celexa at night? Do you feel the agitation at any particular time of day?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

@Altostrata

i take it at night because that is when i can consistently take it at the same time.  I’ve had insomnia since December 2016.  Do you think moving it to an earlier time will help?  If so, how do I make that time change?  

The agitation varies.  I was looking for closely at my notes from the last year.  I typically get the agitation with the feeling of being poisoned.  I noticed that I posted about agitation and documented that it frequently happened  my personal journal even prior to reinstatement.  I’m beginning to think it is following my normal symptoms fluctuations: a day or two of things being tolerable, then agitation and poisoned feeling ramps up and so forth.  But I haven’t been able to pinpoint a pattern

Also, I meant to answer your question about caffeine - no I do not drink caffeine.  It’s usually water and occasionally a sprite, but very rarely.

Thank you

• Administrator

Can you describe more about this "poisoned feeling"?

Is it possible for you to move your Celexa dose earlier in the day?

Have you ever taken Prozac?

How did you react to Lamictal?

@Altostrata

The poisoned feeling comes about when all my symptoms ramp up.  I can physically feel it coming on.  It feels as if someone is pouring poison or acid into my body.  Thst’s The best I can describe it, but it makes me feel as though i’m dying.

i can move the celexa earlier in the day.  How do I do so?  Just move it back an hour everyday?  What time do you recommend me taking it?  And out of curiosity what is your reasoning behind taking it earlier?

i’ve never Taken prozac

Lamictal gave me severe dry eyes to the point I couldn’t wear contacts.  I would blink so much that my family and friends commented that it was disconcerting.  

Plus, i’d rather not add another drug into the mix if at all possible.  

Thank you

• Administrator

It is possible the Celexa is interfering with your sleep. Yes, move it by an hour or two each day, being sure to keep notes about when you take it and your symptom pattern.

It may be more tolerable if you take it in the morning, but we'll have to look at your symptom pattern to see if that's helping.

Lamotrigine in very tiny doses, less than 2.5mg, might help settle your nervous system. See

One theory of antidepressant withdrawal syndrome

Lamictal (lamotrigine) to calm post-discontinuation withdrawal symptoms

On 7/12/2018 at 11:43 PM, TryingToHoldOn said:

@Altostrata

The poisoned feeling comes about when all my symptoms ramp up.  I can physically feel it coming on.  It feels as if someone is pouring poison or acid into my body.  Thst’s The best I can describe it, but it makes me feel as though i’m dying.

i can move the celexa earlier in the day.  How do I do so?  Just move it back an hour everyday?  What time do you recommend me taking it?  And out of curiosity what is your reasoning behind taking it earlier?

i’ve never Taken prozac

Lamictal gave me severe dry eyes to the point I couldn’t wear contacts.  I would blink so much that my family and friends commented that it was disconcerting.  

Plus, i’d rather not add another drug into the mix if at all possible.  

Thank you

That’s exactly how I feel and that’s how I would describe it I don’t know why this happens the feeling like like poison or acid is being poured in to me and it makes me feel so sick and like I am dying I am not on any medication of for 16 months now I think it could be just huge surges of Adrenalin overwhelming our cns 

2001 to jan 2015 Effexor 150 mg 

jan 2015 15 mg mirtazapine 20 mg quetiapine 

feb 2015 quetiapine stopped 

feb 2015 30 mg of citalopram added 

feb 2015 mirtazapine increased to 30 mg 

july 2015 citalopram stopped 

sept 2015 200mg of pregabalin 

jan 2017 mirtazapine stopped

jan 2017 20 mg fluoxetine

march 2017 all meds stopped 

• 2 weeks later...

@Altostrata

I have developed severe akathisia and numbness going down the right side of my face.  

I reinstated 1.25mg of celexa on 6/16/18

with a total of 7 days on 2.5mg.

Is it adviseable to do a quick taper considering this adverse reaction or should I just stop.  The akathisia is unbearable and numbness frightening.  Thank you.

• Administrator

What does the akathisia feel like? Is it better or worse at any particular time of day?

What times of day do you take your drugs, and their dosages?

What is your daily symptom pattern? Please keep daily notes on paper about your symptoms, when you take your drugs, and their dosages. Use a simple list format with time of day on the left and notation (symptom, drug and dosage) on the right.

On 7/22/2018 at 2:19 PM, Altostrata said:

What does the akathisia feel like? Is it better or worse at any particular time of day?

What times of day do you take your drugs, and their dosages?

What is your daily symptom pattern? Please keep daily notes on paper about your symptoms, when you take your drugs, and their dosages. Use a simple list format with time of day on the left and notation (symptom, drug and dosage) on the right.

7/11/18

12am: sleep ~20 min

12:30am: wake

4am: sleep ~ 30 min

7am: anxiety, headpressure, muscle twitching & jerking, dizziness, POTS

9am: kids to camp

10am: panic, anxiety, crying

10:30am: banana, water, ginger tea, head pressure, clogged ears

10:45am: bed

12:45pm: shower

1pm: pasta, Brussels sprouts, water

1:30pm: bed again

2pm: burning back, hands, feet, slight agitation, poisoned feeling coming back

5:45pm - feeling poisoned, burning face, back, brain, throbbing head

7:00pm - tight face w/burning, old radiating from skin, burning back & hands

7:15pm - celexa 1.25mg

8:45pm - heartburn, stabbing pain in stomach, feeling tired

10pm - burning brain, no sleep

7/12/18

8:30am - back of head throbbing, dizzy, weird forehead sensations, tight face, 

9am - omega 3, vit D, probiotic

9:30am - Kids to camp

10:45am - roastbeef sandwich, water

11:45am - cold radiating from skin, internal vibrations, clogged ears

12:30pm - burning brain, burning back

4:30pm - pressure in back of head, burning cheeks, internal vibrations, forehead pressure

6:45pm - celexa 1.25mg

9pm - numbness in nose, burning back & hands

10:30 - bed, slept 2 hours

7/13/18

6am - wake

7am - shower

10 - lunch hamburger, DP/DR, anxiety, weird forehead sensations

4pm - poisoned feeling, crying, hand weakness, burning back, internal vibrations, burning brain & head, headpressure in back of head

5:45pm - heartburn

6:45pm - celexa 1.25mg

8pm - foreheadpressure

The akathisia is the worst in the morning.  It is a feeling of intense restlessness and feeling like I need to jump out of my skin.  I do get it throughout the day but have not noticed a pattern.  It is always better when I walk or drive.

I have misplaced my symptoms pattern from 7/14/18 on, however I can provide you a daily summary of the symptoms.  

7/14

weird forehead sensations,  internal vibrations, forehead pressure, burning back, head, face & brain, poisoned dying feeling (during the night)

7/15

anxiety, crying (all day), head pressure, internal vibrations, clogged ears, suicidal, burning skin, poisoned feeling

7/16

anxiety, depression, clogged ears, weird forehead pressure, numbness in face & forehead, cold radiating from skin, headpressure, internal vibrations, burning skin, poisoned feeling

7/17

anxiety, agitation, internal vibrations, burning skin, crying, poisoned feeling, headpressure, suicidal, facial numbness

7/18

anxiety, forehead pressure, cold radiating from skin, clogged ears, internal vibrations, head pressure (forehead/back of head), dizzy, DP/DR, weird forehead sensations tight chest, burning brain, burning skin, poisoned feeling

7/19

anxiety, headpressure, DP/DR, burning skin, burning brain, suicidal (vivid images), cognitive issues, panic

7/20

anxiety, internal vibrations, tingling - hands, feet, face, pressure in back of head, blurred vision. DP/DR, poisoned feeling, cold radiating from skin, weird forehead sensations

7/21

anxiety, burning skin, clogged ears, burning brain, cold radiating from skin, suicidal

7/22

anxiety, akathisia, clogged ears, suicidal, burning head, face, brain, crying, head pressure, cognitive issues

As stared earlier, I misplaced my symptoms patterns list but wanted to be able to provide you with some information.

Thank you

• Administrator

I don't see that your symptoms are worse after taking Celexa in the evening, is that so?

Are the symptoms you have now different from the withdrawal symptoms you had before you took Celexa?

• Administrator
On 7/12/2018 at 4:00 PM, Altostrata said:

It is possible the Celexa is interfering with your sleep. Yes, move it by an hour or two each day, being sure to keep notes about when you take it and your symptom pattern.

It may be more tolerable if you take it in the morning, but we'll have to look at your symptom pattern to see if that's helping.

Lamotrigine in very tiny doses, less than 2.5mg, might help settle your nervous system. See

One theory of antidepressant withdrawal syndrome

Lamictal (lamotrigine) to calm post-discontinuation withdrawal symptoms

Have you been moving the Celexa earlier in the evening?

Do you have any lamotrigine left?

• 3 months later...

Trying, how are you doing?  I have been wondering if you are able to find some bright spots anywhere.  Take care.

PAST

Gabapentin:  about 6 months in 2015, 300-900 mg, cold turkeyed Sept 2015 (at same time dc'd Klonopin)

Klonopin: June 2014- Sept 2015; 1mg tapered over 6 mths, dc'd at 0.25mg, withdrawal hellish (perhaps because of concurrent dc of gabapentin)

Mirtazepine: Jumped off at 2.4 mg. (stable in 8 months).

Seroquel:  June 14 - July 24, 2016, 25 mg alternate nights; smaller doses for shorter periods. Total use about 3 months 

Lamictal: March 19, 2018 - 1 mg; March 23 - 1.25 mg; April 6 - 2mg. Discontinued at 2 mgJuly 1, 2018 due to Steven Johnson Syndrome.

CURRENT

Supplements: Vit D, turmeric

Naturethroid: 65 mcg for hypothyroidism

Trazodone: Oct 2015 - June 2016; 75 mg tapered over 2 mths, intense w/d after 3 weeks. Reinstatement: 07/25/16 - 25 mg; updosed 08/03/16 - 50 mg;  10/01/16-  62mg; 03/24/17 dropped to 50 mg (stable in 2.5 months)

Current psych meds: Trazodone 50 mg

• 1 year later...

TryingToHoldOn, how are you doing nowadays? Wishing you the best.

PRN = as needed; WDR = withdrawal reaction; ADR = adverse reaction

2007: Started BC pills  2008: Prozac 0 --> 80 mg  2010: Tapered Prozac 80 --> 0 mg  2015: LSD/shrooms/MDMA once; Xanax 0.25 mg PRN; Prozac 0 --> 40 mg; Lamictal 0 --> 150 mg  2018: Tapered Prozac 40 --> 0 mg (WDR); Klonopin 0.125 mg PRN  2019: DC'd BC pills (WDR); Klonopin 0.125 mg PRN; tapered Lamictal 150 --> 35 mg (WDR); Trileptal 0 --> 4 mg   2020: Jan: one BC pill (ADR + hormonal effects); Apr-Jun: curcumin cream daily + Elidel cream PRN (ADR + hormonal effects); Oct: started melatonin 0.375 mg; Nov: acupuncture treatment (ADR + hormonal effects); Dec: tapered off melatonin 0.375 mg  2021: Jan: benzoyl peroxide cream (ADR); Feb: started probiotic; Mar: tapered off probiotic; May: Trileptal 4 mg --> 0.4 mg (ADR); Nov: Trileptal 0.4 mg --> 0.3 mg  2023: Nov: Prednisone 60 mg

Current medications: Lamictal 35 mg, Trileptal 0.3 mg, Prednisone 60 mg

• 1 year later...

Trying,

Are you doing any better?  I hope so.

Rosetta

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/16629-rosetta-ct-may-2011-too-fast-taper-feb-2017/?page=25

2001-2011 Celexa 10 mg raised to 40 mg then 60 mg over this time period

May 2011 OB Doctor's Cold switch Celexa 60 mg to 10 mg Zoloft sertraline (baby born)

2012-2016 - Doctors raised dose of Zoloft up to 150 mg

2016 - Xanax prescribed - as needed - 0.5 mg about every 3 days (bad reaction)

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Late 2016- Began (too fast) taper of Zoloft

Early 2017 - Trazodone prescribed for bedtime (doseage unknown)

Feb 2017 - Completed taper/stopped Trazodone

Drug free since Feb 2017

2017 - Unisom otc very rarely for sleep