Jamieandlexapro: Introducing myself as I'm trying to survive lexapro :(

Jamieandlexapro

Hey there, 7 months out, I have a lot off symptoms still, I have 8 in the first box, 6 in the second, 2 in the third box, 1 in the rest. 

Do you think physical symptoms at 7 months out can sill happen? Trying to figure out if it’s from kindling and adverse reaction causing brain damage, or still withdrawals.

worst ones are

spaced out all the time, derealization, head and jaw pain. Muscle loss weakness.

0FC6AB52-8BB0-4A0D-9AED-9612653164BE.jpeg

8 years lexapro.

July-September 5mg

Sep-October alternate days (kindled) anxiety returned

November-march reinstatement (adverse reaction) bed ridden for 5 months.

Stopped April, felt I had no choice, felt poisoned.

27 years old, mummy of 3.

On 05/09/2017 at 11:02 AM, LexAnger said:

Hi JAL, just wonder how how you are doing lately? Hope you are seeing lots improvement.

lex

8 years lexapro.

July-September 5mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey JAL - 

I'm sorry to hear you are still struggling.

7 months is (sadly) still early in the game.  The factors feeding into "how long" are:

• How long you were on it
  • How old you were when you went on it
  • How strong is the drug (lexapro is the strongest)
  • How did you go off it (alternating, unsuccessful reinstatement, CT - so many destabilising factors), and
  • How long since you've been on it.

Addressing the last one, and the symptoms you still have - is just one piece of the puzzle.  It's not like a maths problem or a jigsaw puzzle - more like a mysterious 4D puzzle with not enough pieces to see how it all fits together.  The pieces will come and go, sometimes you will feel more together than others.  (Windows and Waves)

So - 8 months out (after 8 years use), after a destabilising descent - is still within a number of "landmarks" I look at.

I look at the first year as "the hellish one," 3, 6, 9 months is not enough to reach escape velocity, and this is the hardest thing - when I'm trying to help a friend, they don't believe me when I say "you've gotten over the first month, you think you are better - but - there is more to come!"  All of those "relapses" which were really withdrawals...makes me sad.

I look at the second year as "windows and waves"  - how well you surf that, what tools you adopt and practice, is how well your 3rd -5th years go.  By the 5th year out, you'll have some measure of "damages," if any (but still not a complete picture, as you will continue to heal beyond that).  To call any "damage" prior to the 5 year mark, however, is premature.  Most people recover.  Most people might tell you that they are better off the drugs than on.  Most people will tell you they are not the same as they were "before," but that they prefer who they are now.;  But everyone is different, these are just landmarks I've observed (with individual variations).   Be patient and kind to yourself.  It will take time, and time is the best healer of all.

Have you had windows yet?

Who heals?  Who doesn't?  This is the all consuming question.  In general, I find it helps to look up and out, rather than down and in.  Some introspection may be necessary, but it's a fine line between introspection and rumination.  Looking up and out - is doing and practising and relating to others.  This is where the volunteer work helps you heal, where you talk to friends, go to things (even when you don't feel up to it), challenge yourself by putting one foot in front of the other).  This is where your regular practice of yoga, meditation, spinning, gardening, drawing, knitting are so supportive.  Prayer and community play an important role in  healing.  Knowing when to rest, and when to move forward is an art, not a science.

It does get better, but it gets better better if you help, with practice, social structure, looking to the horizon, making plans, keeping your word.  I don't know anyone who has totally passively healed.  Ideally, you will get involved in your healing, and help it along.   Like GiaK says in Beyond Meds, "Everything Matters."

It does get better!

I hope you see the sun today.

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

29 minutes ago, JanCarol said:

Hey JAL - 

I'm sorry to hear you are still struggling.

7 months is (sadly) still early in the game.  The factors feeding into "how long" are:

• How long you were on it
  • How old you were when you went on it
  • How strong is the drug (lexapro is the strongest)
  • How did you go off it (alternating, unsuccessful reinstatement, CT - so many destabilising factors), and
  • How long since you've been on it.

Addressing the last one, and the symptoms you still have - is just one piece of the puzzle.  It's not like a maths problem or a jigsaw puzzle - more like a mysterious 4D puzzle with not enough pieces to see how it all fits together.  The pieces will come and go, sometimes you will feel more together than others.  (Windows and Waves)

So - 8 months out (after 8 years use), after a destabilising descent - is still within a number of "landmarks" I look at.

I look at the first year as "the hellish one," 3, 6, 9 months is not enough to reach escape velocity, and this is the hardest thing - when I'm trying to help a friend, they don't believe me when I say "you've gotten over the first month, you think you are better - but - there is more to come!"  All of those "relapses" which were really withdrawals...makes me sad.

I look at the second year as "windows and waves"  - how well you surf that, what tools you adopt and practice, is how well your 3rd -5th years go.  By the 5th year out, you'll have some measure of "damages," if any (but still not a complete picture, as you will continue to heal beyond that).  To call any "damage" prior to the 5 year mark, however, is premature.  Most people recover.  Most people might tell you that they are better off the drugs than on.  Most people will tell you they are not the same as they were "before," but that they prefer who they are now.;  But everyone is different, these are just landmarks I've observed (with individual variations).   Be patient and kind to yourself.  It will take time, and time is the best healer of all.

Have you had windows yet?

Who heals?  Who doesn't?  This is the all consuming question.  In general, I find it helps to look up and out, rather than down and in.  Some introspection may be necessary, but it's a fine line between introspection and rumination.  Looking up and out - is doing and practising and relating to others.  This is where the volunteer work helps you heal, where you talk to friends, go to things (even when you don't feel up to it), challenge yourself by putting one foot in front of the other).  This is where your regular practice of yoga, meditation, spinning, gardening, drawing, knitting are so supportive.  Prayer and community play an important role in  healing.  Knowing when to rest, and when to move forward is an art, not a science.

It does get better, but it gets better better if you help, with practice, social structure, looking to the horizon, making plans, keeping your word.  I don't know anyone who has totally passively healed.  Ideally, you will get involved in your healing, and help it along.   Like GiaK says in Beyond Meds, "Everything Matters."

It does get better!

I hope you see the sun today.

Thank you so much for the reply, it means so much to me, when i stop crying I will read it properly, I’m just so afraid that it was either from reinstatment of lexapro or from starting cipro/flagyl at the same time, a lot of people that are flocked have similar symptoms and they only progress, and a lot of people that have a adverse reaction from reinstatment don’t heal properly either, so right now it feels like permanent brain damage or progressive brain injury, rather then withdrawals, but I pray that it is just withdrawals and I’ll recover one day x

8 years lexapro.

July-September 5mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey Jamie - 

I'm less experienced with what happens with floxing.  I have started to hear mutters that timing on a flox can affect withdrawals.  As if being floxed isn't enough!

You will get better!

Withdrawals do feel like "brain damage" and "nervous system damage" but it's really "closed for repairs" - a sign that you are healing.  It looks like you have a lot of systems "closed for repairs" at the same time, so that must be frustrating.

Be patient and kind to yourself.  Do what you can, and don't punish yourself when you can't.  You'll get through this!

And if you can, see the sun today, er, tomorrow! 

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

Hi JAL - 

I am sorry you are still struggling with lexapro .  I am too still trying to get to where I was before the withdrawal crash a year ago .  From what I understand lexapro is one of the strongest ssri out there and the amount of time we were on it contributes greatly to how we feel and how long this WD will last .  

I too have many of the symptoms in that box .  It is scary and can be discouraging at times .  I suffer from anxiety, extreme almost constant exhaustion where my body feels like a heavy brick,  I have dizziness almost constant, muscle tightness, detachment and dp/dr .  I am somewhat better compared to where I was a year ago .  

What helps me to stay strong is to remember how prior to lexapro I did not experience any of the above symptoms with exception of panic attacks and anxiety which was not constant .  I also tell myself that this is not dangerous and these are just symptoms,  the are not who I am .  I tell myself that they are not permanent and that with time they will lessen .  What also helps me is to realize how on medication I did not feel better or like my old self so for me medication is not a solution .  I try to remind myself to do what I can to help with this process - I practice meditation, started exercising and trying to eat healthy.  Sometimes it is so very difficult and I get tough days and feel discouraged.   And I do let myself just be, I don't exercise and just rest.  But then I feel a bit better and continue on 

my advice would be try to be acceptivr of your symptoms .  I know it is scary, trust me ! Believe in yourself in your strength and in your body's ability to heal itself .  Try to get busy - read a book, get into a good show, anything to take your mind off.  And do try to do some of the coping techniques when you can .  I do believe that time is a great healer . 

04/10 Luvox 25 mg PM, Nortriptyline 1 mg PM

03/08/19: Buspar 2.5 mg AM, 5 mg PM

01/01/19: Xanax 0.125 AM 5 times a week. Occasionally, 0.125 twice a day AM & noon

12/18 Armour Thyroid 60 mg (for hypothyroidism) 

Supplements: B Complex, B12 (adeno), multi-vitamin, D, Adrenal Cortex, iron

• Lexapro 20 mg 2007 - 2013 with various attempts to stop
  • 2013 found a new Dr and started trying other meds: Prozac, Notryptoline, Effexor, Buspar, Gabapentin, Paxil, Nardil
  • Lexapro 15 mg 2015 - 04/2016
  • Vibryiid 10 - 15mg 05/16-06/16 
  • NO MEDS 07/16 - 10/31/16
  • Reinstated 10/31/16 at 2.5 mg lexapro, increased to 5 mg   
  • 1/13/17 switched to Luvox 50 mg before bed
  • 1/20/17 Luvox 37.5 mg PM
  • 12/18 Luvox 10 mg PM, Nortriptyline 2 mg (started Nortriptyline 06/17 at 10 mg)

One more thing - for the longest time I was convinced that it can't be WD that maybe there is something wrong with me .  I went to various doctors - GP, neurologist , neutritionist, ENT, naturopath and even had a sleep study done.  I had various blood works to rule out any deficiencies .  Everything is fine .  So that gave me a peace of mind .  I would suggest to get yourself checked out - iron, vitamin d, blood sugar etc .  And if everything is clear (I am sure it will be ) perhaps it will ease your mind 

04/10 Luvox 25 mg PM, Nortriptyline 1 mg PM

03/08/19: Buspar 2.5 mg AM, 5 mg PM

01/01/19: Xanax 0.125 AM 5 times a week. Occasionally, 0.125 twice a day AM & noon

12/18 Armour Thyroid 60 mg (for hypothyroidism) 

Supplements: B Complex, B12 (adeno), multi-vitamin, D, Adrenal Cortex, iron

• Lexapro 20 mg 2007 - 2013 with various attempts to stop
  • 2013 found a new Dr and started trying other meds: Prozac, Notryptoline, Effexor, Buspar, Gabapentin, Paxil, Nardil
  • Lexapro 15 mg 2015 - 04/2016
  • Vibryiid 10 - 15mg 05/16-06/16 
  • NO MEDS 07/16 - 10/31/16
  • Reinstated 10/31/16 at 2.5 mg lexapro, increased to 5 mg   
  • 1/13/17 switched to Luvox 50 mg before bed
  • 1/20/17 Luvox 37.5 mg PM
  • 12/18 Luvox 10 mg PM, Nortriptyline 2 mg (started Nortriptyline 06/17 at 10 mg)

Jamie,

just realized you are taking Cipro too. Not sure if you are still on it. 

You may want to check out aeroman for his experiment with Cipro. This drug alone can cause similar withdrawal.

lex

Drug free Sep. 23 2017

2009 Mar.: lexapro 10mg for headache for 2 weeks.

2009-2012: on and off 1/4 to 1/3 of 10mg

2012 June--2013 Jan,: 1/4-1/3 of 10mg generic, bad jaw pain

2013 Jan-Mar: 10 mg generic. severe jaw and head pain;

2013 Mar--Aug. started tapering (liquid ever since) from 10 to 5 (one step) then gradually down to 2.25 mg by July. first ever panic attack, severe head/jaw pain

2013 Aug.: back to 2.75 mg; Nov: back to Brand Lex. 2.75mg -- 3mg,

2014 June: stopped PPI, head pressure/numbness. up-dosed 4.5mg, severe reaction mental symptoms added on

2014 Aug--2015 Aug: Micro taper down to 3.2mg, .025mg (<1%) cut holding 2-3 weeks.

2015 Aug 15th, Accidental one dose of 4.2mg. worsening brain non-functional, swollen head, body, coma like, DR

2016 Feb., started dosing 10am through 11 pm everyday 2/13--3.2mg, 3/15-- 2.9mg, 4/19-- 2.6mg, 6/26--2.2mg, 7/22 --1.9mg, 8/16--1.8mg,8/31--1.7m g, 9/13--1.6mg, 9/27--1.5mg, 10/8--1.4mg, 10/14--1.3mg, 11/1--1.2mg, 11/29--1.1mg, 12/12--1mg, 12/22--0.9mg

2017: 1/7--0.8mg, 1/15--0.7mg, 1/17--0.6mg, 1/20--0.52, 1/21--0.4mg, 1/22--0.26, 1/23--0.2, 2/13--0.13mg, 2/20--0.06mg, 3/18--0.13mg, 6/1--0.12mg, 7/6--0.1mg, 7/14--0.08mg, 8/17--0.04mg, 8/20--0.03mg, 8/28--0.02mg, 9/6--0.0205mg, 9/8--0.02mg, 9/17--0.015mg, 9/20--0.01mg, 9/21--0.0048mg, 9/22--0.0001mg,