SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Hazel: struggling with Paxil to Prozac bridge

Hazel

1 hour ago, Hazel said:

Thanks so much Dave for your support.  It is so helpful to be able to share with people who really understand this process.  I also would give anything for this to be over, and hold on to the hope that it won’t be too much longer now until I stabilize for good.  I don’t even care at this point if I stay at a small dose of Paxil for years-I just want to enjoy life again!  

How are you doing today?

Exactly, I would LOVE to get off the Zyprexa and reduce my Paxil load, but if I ever stabilize, I am not sure I will ever come completely off again after this nightmare! I had NO IDEA something like this was even possible or I honestly would have just stayed on the Zoloft. I am doing ok today, seems I am back into the pattern of rapid cycling. Really good for a couple of hours, really bad anxiety for a few hours, then good again, then bad. It is SO tiring, and like you I thought I had turned a corner last week, but I guess not. 

2008 - October 28th, 2016: Zoloft 50 - 150 mgs, settled on 50mgs from 2011 - 2016.
January 23rd - March 1st 2017: Zoloft 50mgs, direct switch to Lexapro.
March 1st - May 1st 2017: Lexapro 10 mgs, down to 5mgs for a week, then off.
June 1st - July 31st 2017: Paxil 20mgs, Lyrica 600mgs
August 1st - September 30th 2017: Paxil 40mgs, Zyprexa 2.5mgs
October 1st  - November 12th 2017: Paxil 60mgs, Zyprexa 2.5mgs
November 12th, 2017 - September 4th 2018: Paxil 40mgs, Zyprexa 2.5mgs 

September 4th - September 27th: Paxil 30mgs, Zyprexa 2.5mgs

September 28th - November 7th: Paxil 20mgs, Zyprexa 2.5mgs (Also Testosterone Therapy started in June 2018 and ended in November 2018)

November 7th 2018 - February 22nd 2019: Paxil 10mgs, Zyprexa 2.5mgs

February 22nd 2019 - April 17th: Zyprexa 2.5mgs, Klonopin 1mgs

April 17th - Now: Zoloft 25mgs, Zyprexa 2.5mgs, Klonopin .5mgs

I wish I would have found this site before switching off of Zoloft to another drug, but unfortunately we can’t go back in time.  I do believe we will stabilize.  It seems that most everyone does in time.  I am feeling better now than I was last night into this morning.  This morning was just awful!  Thankfully the worst seems to have passed.  It is crazy how fast things can shift.  It would be easier if we just knew when a wave would end-it would make things much easier.  Every wave feels like it will never end.  We just need to hang in there.  I do believe one day this will all be far behind us.

Zoloft 50 mg Fall 2003-October 2016

I went up to 150 mg for several months during the winter of 2016 after going through a tough time trying to stabilize.

Lexapro 5 mg and then 10 mg October 2016-December 2016

Paxil December 2016 to present.  Started at 10 mg went up to 20 mg for three weeks and started reducing by 5mg every 2 weeks per doctors orders.  Got down to 7.5 mg and ran into trouble, found this website and updosed to 10 mg.

9mg paroxetine June 18-6.5 mg in am 2.5 mg pm.  

July 20 began switch to Citalopram-9 mg Paxil and 5 mg citalopram

July 24-7.5mg paroxetine and 7.5mg Citalopram 

July 27-5mg paroxetine and 10 citalopram 

July 30-2.5 paroxetine and 10 of Citalopram 

August 2-2mg paroxetine and 10mg Citalopram, dropped paroxetine Aug. 3

August 8 increased to 15 mg citalopram

Take 1mg lorazepam as needed and 3mg melatonin at night.

• Moderator Emeritus
1 hour ago, Hazel said:

Every wave feels like it will never end.

Yes, and we feel like the windows will last forever, so it is disappointing when another wave hits.  I love the Rubik's cube analogy.  Video:  Healing From Antidepressants - Patterns of Recovery

From What is Happening in Your Brain:

"Basically- you have a building where the MAJOR steel structures are [...] to be rebuilt at different times - ALL while people are coming and going in the building and attempting to work.

It would be like if the World Trade Center Towers hadn't completely fallen - but had crumbled inside in different places.. Imagine if you were [...] to rebuild the tower - WHILE people were coming and going and [...] to work in the building!  You'd have to set up a temporary elevator - but when you needed to fix part of that area, you'd have to tear down that elevator and set up a temporary elevator somewhere else. And so on. You'd have to build, work around, then tear down, then build again, then work around, then build... ALL while people are coming and going, ALL while the furniture is being replaced, ALL while the walls are getting repainted... ALL while [...] is going on INSIDE the building. No doubt it would be chaotic. That is EXACTLY what is happening with windows and waves.  The windows are where the body has "got it right" for a day or so - but then the building shifts and the brain works on something else - and it's chaos again while another temporary pathway is set up to reroute function until repairs are made. 
And just like the Twin Towers- it's possible - but the building is a major effort -and it takes a good year or more sometimes."

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

34 minutes ago, ChessieCat said:

Yes, and we feel like the windows will last forever, so it is disappointing when another wave hits.  I love the Rubik's cube analogy.  Video:  Healing From Antidepressants - Patterns of Recovery

"Basically- you have a building where the MAJOR steel structures are [...] to be rebuilt at different times - ALL while people are coming and going in the building and attempting to work.

It would be like if the World Trade Center Towers hadn't completely fallen - but had crumbled inside in different places.. Imagine if you were [...] to rebuild the tower - WHILE people were coming and going and [...] to work in the building!  You'd have to set up a temporary elevator - but when you needed to fix part of that area, you'd have to tear down that elevator and set up a temporary elevator somewhere else. And so on. You'd have to build, work around, then tear down, then build again, then work around, then build... ALL while people are coming and going, ALL while the furniture is being replaced, ALL while the walls are getting repainted... ALL while [...] is going on INSIDE the building. No doubt it would be chaotic. That is EXACTLY what is happening with windows and waves.  The windows are where the body has "got it right" for a day or so - but then the building shifts and the brain works on something else - and it's chaos again while another temporary pathway is set up to reroute function until repairs are made. 
And just like the Twin Towers- it's possible - but the building is a major effort -and it takes a good year or more sometimes."

Thank you Chessie for that post.  It is a very helpful way of looking at things and helps make sense of this horrible situation.  I just have to keep reminding myself that a lot of healing is going on during waves.

I went up to 150 mg for several months during the winter of 2016 after going through a tough time trying to stabilize.

Paxil December 2016 to present.  Started at 10 mg went up to 20 mg for three weeks and started reducing by 5mg every 2 weeks per doctors orders.  Got down to 7.5 mg and ran into trouble, found this website and updosed to 10 mg.

1 hour ago, Hazel said:

I wish I would have found this site before switching off of Zoloft to another drug, but unfortunately we can’t go back in time.  I do believe we will stabilize.  It seems that most everyone does in time.  I am feeling better now than I was last night into this morning.  This morning was just awful!  Thankfully the worst seems to have passed.  It is crazy how fast things can shift.  It would be easier if we just knew when a wave would end-it would make things much easier.  Every wave feels like it will never end.  We just need to hang in there.  I do believe one day this will all be far behind us.

I know, today has been just like that for me. Anxiety so bad I don't know how I can possibly go on, then totally gone for a few hours, then it comes back. 

2008 - October 28th, 2016: Zoloft 50 - 150 mgs, settled on 50mgs from 2011 - 2016.

September 28th - November 7th: Paxil 20mgs, Zyprexa 2.5mgs (Also Testosterone Therapy started in June 2018 and ended in November 2018)

55 minutes ago, ChessieCat said:

Exactly, in every window, no matter how brief, I always think "this is it, this is stabilizing, it is finally working"...then it doesn't last. That analogy is very helpful, sometimes I wonder if they are rebuilding the building or slowly tearing it down, seems like many times I can't tell if it is slowly getting better, or slowly getting worse. 

At least you know you’re on the right track. . 

2001 Remeron , Celexa, prozac a week on lithium. 

2014 went off effexor and trazadone in 3 weeks. 

2014 zoloft (hyper reaction) put on effexor 75 mg. Was stable until 2017 

2017  Trazadone 50 mg (June) Effexor to 113 mg (2 weeks) Effexor 150 mg for a month . Took 75 mg until November. . Lithium 10 days, Lamactil 10 day  aug-nov15 ativan

October : Prozac bridge to get off 75 mg of effexor Used 10 mg of prozac. Stopped prozac 3 wk 

Dec 6, 7 Upped trazadone from 50 to 100 mg Did it for 3 days Stopped it

Dec 7 , Dec 8 Took prozac again 0.1 , 0.1, 0.6 stopped it

Dec 11 and Dec 12 upped it to 100 again

Dec 15 , 16,17 went back to 50 mg of trazadone

December 18 Began 3 beads of effexor  Dec 25 began 5 beads of effexor take 10 mg of omneprazole daily

• Moderator Emeritus

You might find this topic helpful.  We need to accept that it is was it is at this time and try not to fight against it.

Acceptance

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

21 minutes ago, Downbutnotout said:

At least you know you’re on the right track. . 

Can't speak for Hazel, but I feel I don't know anything. I am hopeful I am on the right track, but this process makes you doubt everything. 

14 minutes ago, ChessieCat said:

You might find this topic helpful.  We need to accept that it is was it is at this time and try not to fight against it.

Acceptance

I know I need to work on acceptance. It is what it is for now, and I am at least semi-functional. I have to have hope it will get better though or I don't know if I could keep going on!

I agree with you Dave.  I would like to believe I’m on the right track, but in a wave I certainly don’t believe it.  I definitely doubt everything when I’m a wave.  It feels so hopeless and scary no matter how many waves I experience and overcome, each one is just as difficult and awful as the last.  You’d think I’d get use to the process after a while, but that’s so not the case.

I think acceptance is a continuous practice.  I know the way to do it, but it isn’t always so easy to follow through with.  If I am having super high anxiety, no matter how many time I remind myself to “loosen and accept” it just doesn’t seem to help.  I find I can better practice acceptance when the anxiety isn’t too out of control, and then it helps to keep the anxiety from getting out of control.  

I hold on to hope as well. It’s what keeps me going.

14 hours ago, Hazel said:

I agree with you Dave.  I would like to believe I’m on the right track, but in a wave I certainly don’t believe it.  I definitely doubt everything when I’m a wave.  It feels so hopeless and scary no matter how many waves I experience and overcome, each one is just as difficult and awful as the last.  You’d think I’d get use to the process after a while, but that’s so not the case.

I think acceptance is a continuous practice.  I know the way to do it, but it isn’t always so easy to follow through with.  If I am having super high anxiety, no matter how many time I remind myself to “loosen and accept” it just doesn’t seem to help.  I find I can better practice acceptance when the anxiety isn’t too out of control, and then it helps to keep the anxiety from getting out of control.  

I hold on to hope as well. It’s what keeps me going.

I could have written this post myself, it seems we are very much experiencing the same things. I hate that you have to go through this, but it does give me comfort I am not alone. We are going to be ok, we will get through this together! At least you are on a low dose so when you stabilize you can either just stay there or finalize you taper. With me being on 40mgs AND the Zyprexa,  I am kind of in a bad place med-wise. Oh well, as you said, we can't go back, we can only move forward and look towards better days ahead. 

2 hours ago, DaveB said:

I could have written this post myself, it seems we are very much experiencing the same things. I hate that you have to go through this, but it does give me comfort I am not alone. We are going to be ok, we will get through this together! At least you are on a low dose so when you stabilize you can either just stay there or finalize you taper. With me being on 40mgs AND the Zyprexa,  I am kind of in a bad place med-wise. Oh well, as you said, we can't go back, we can only move forward and look towards better days ahead. 

You are definitely not alone.  Any time you need to vent or ask questions feel free.  We will get through this!

The last few days have been difficult.  I haven’t been sleeping well at all this week either, so that is not helping.  I was wondering if going up a little on the Paxil would help?  I just don’t really feel like I am getting any better overall and was thinking maybe going up to 10mg gradually would help me manage withdrawal symptoms better?  I am having a hard time managing to work, take care of my kids and live my life in general.  I just want to stabilize and feel better-whatever it takes.  I would really appreciate any feedback.

Thanks,

Hazel

• Moderator Emeritus

What non drug techniques are you using?

During the tapering process there are going to be times of discomfort.  It is important to learn and use Non-drug techniques to cope instead of turning to what you think is a quick fix.

How much reading have you done around this site?  I think you are still in the mindset that the drugs are an answer.

And thinking of going from 7.3mg to 10mg is a huge jump in dose because you have been at 7.3mg for 2 months (according to your signature).  It's a good idea to learn to accept that things are what they are at this time.  Sometimes it's a case of doing what you need to do and getting through a day at a time, sometimes hour by hour and sometimes minute by minute.  Acceptance

Even people who aren't tapering off or in withdrawal from psychiatric drugs experience times when things are more difficult or when they don't sleep well.

Sleep problems - that awful withdrawal insomnia

Sleep Hypnosis, Guided Meditations, Calming Videos

Hey Hazel, 

I completely understand your feeling, it’s so hard having to work and look after kids and you need to do what’s best for you. I would see what the mods think but personally I would go up a little bit to see if that helps. You need to function.

huggs to you 

1995 started Paxil 20mg slowly increasing to 50mg until 2014

-2014 I decided to tapper myself not knowing how too and crashed , DR added 50mg Seraquel

-2015 tried tapering again and crashed

Started Tapering Both drugs at the same time 6% per month doing daily micro-taper 

Guided by Mark Horowitz

24/09/23  14.47mg Seroquel.  16.19mg Paxil 

27/11/23.  12.13mg. Seroquel.   13.85mg Paxil

Thank you Cheeky.  I am really struggling today.  I am just in tears over how this has affected my life.  I am trying to believe that this will pass soon, but overall, I have not been doing very well for a while.  I hope one of the mods gets back to me soon.

Hugs to you too.

Hazel

1 hour ago, ChessieCat said:

What non drug techniques are you using?

During the tapering process there are going to be times of discomfort.  It is important to learn and use Non-drug techniques to cope instead of turning to what you think is a quick fix.

How much reading have you done around this site?  I think you are still in the mindset that the drugs are an answer.

And thinking of going from 7.3mg to 10mg is a huge jump in dose because you have been at 7.3mg for 2 months (according to your signature).  It's a good idea to learn to accept that things are what they are at this time.  Sometimes it's a case of doing what you need to do and getting through a day at a time, sometimes hour by hour and sometimes minute by minute.  Acceptance

Even people who aren't tapering off or in withdrawal from psychiatric drugs experience times when things are more difficult or when they don't sleep well.

Sleep problems - that awful withdrawal insomnia

Sleep Hypnosis, Guided Meditations, Calming Videos

Thanks for your response Chessie.

I have done quite a bit of reading on his site and have found it to be quite helpful.  I don’t want to depend on medication to feel better, but I am having a really hard time getting through the days lately.  I do try to accept, but obviously I struggle with this.  I take magnesium and omega 3’s.  I drink chamomile tea and take epsolm salt baths once or twice a week.  I use deep breathing techniques, incorporate relaxing essential oils.  I exercise 30 minutes most days at a easy pace.  I gave up alcohol and caffeine and have cut back on sugar.  I will look over the guided meditations and calming videos you provided.  I’m trying very hard to stay positive, but this has been going on for so long now and I just feel like I am reaching my breaking point.  I appreciate your feedback very much.

Hazel

• Moderator Emeritus

Have you ever learned any CBT techniques?  I've done an online course which available here in Australia for residents and I have what I learned very helpful.

Also, being a female means taking into consideration hormonal changes.  Do you keep a diary of symptoms?  Do they follow any pattern?

These drugs can cause the problems which they are meant to "fix".  It may be that you are due for a reduction.  Some members have found this to be the case.  You could try a very small reduction, eg between 1% and 2.5% and see how you go.

Micro-taper instead of 10% or 5% decreases

Rhi's "Start Small, Listen to Your Body" Taper Plan

Thanks for the feedback Chessie.  I did get my period this week and notice my symptoms get worse during this time.  I will continue to hold and if not better in a couple of weeks may try a tiny decrease.  I just worry about not being able  to stabilize on Paxil since it was Zoloft that I was on for so many years.  Do you think I will be able to stabilize on the Paxil?  It has been over a year now since I have been on it.  I really appreciate your input.

Hazel

• Moderator Emeritus

Nobody knows what is going on in your brain.  The only way you can have some idea is by keeping daily notes and rating your symptoms.

It would make sense to hold a bit longer.  When you do reduce it might still be better to reduce by less than 10%.  Have you seen the Brass Monkey Slide?

2 hours ago, Hazel said:

Thank you Cheeky.  I am really struggling today.  I am just in tears over how this has affected my life.  I am trying to believe that this will pass soon, but overall, I have not been doing very well for a while.  I hope one of the mods gets back to me soon.

Hugs to you too.

Hazel

Aww Hazel, I so understand how your feeling and I know how hard it is.

What we have to go through no one would ever understand the torment, it really changes you as a person. You have to remember that your just haveing a  bad day and I know you will eventually stable out. 

I wake up every morning now hopeing

to be that confident women again. I would do anything to have never taken this poison , but it’s too late . Whatever happens is meant to be for some reason. We need to do this for our kids and we will survive. Stay strong hun and ride the wave out. Message me anytime ((((((( hugs))))))

-2014 I decided to tapper myself not knowing how too and crashed , DR added 50mg Seraquel

Started Tapering Both drugs at the same time 6% per month doing daily micro-taper 

Guided by Mark Horowitz

Thank you so much Cheeky!  Today is getting better-I am just exhausted as I didn’t sleep much last night again.  I agree, my kids are a huge motivation for me to get well again.  I hate how this has taken away my ability to enjoy time with them like I’d like to.  I so appreciate your support🤗

3 hours ago, Hazel said:

Thank you so much Cheeky!  Today is getting better-I am just exhausted as I didn’t sleep much last night again.  I agree, my kids are a huge motivation for me to get well again.  I hate how this has taken away my ability to enjoy time with them like I’d like to.  I so appreciate your support🤗

I’m happy to hear your feeling better. How old are your children, I have two boys a 6 year old and a 15 year old, the loves of my life’s.

Guided by Mark Horowitz

I have 2 girls, ages 13 and 7 and an almost-11 year old boy.  They mean the world to me as well and I really want to get better for them.  Anxiety is starting to creep back in again.🙁

Hey hun,

I’m haveing one of those days as well , we’re going to beat this , stay strong and with you in this ((((((hugs)))))))

Guided by Mark Horowitz

Hugs to you too Cheeky-we will beat this!

On 3/4/2018 at 1:19 PM, Hazel said:

Hugs to you too Cheeky-we will beat this!

THankyou Hazel xx

Guided by Mark Horowitz

On 3/3/2018 at 10:57 AM, Hazel said:

Wow I know this feeling. My biggest fear is what this is doing to my family as I continue to slug on as a shell of the man I used to be. It will get better, having kids makes you REALLY want it to end soon, but we can't really will our way t the finish line.

4 hours ago, DaveB said:

Wow I know this feeling. My biggest fear is what this is doing to my family as I continue to slug on as a shell of the man I used to be. It will get better, having kids makes you REALLY want it to end soon, but we can't really will our way t the finish line.

Dave I know, I try to act as normal as possible around my kids but sometimes I feel like crying because of the guilt I have not being able to

fumction

Guided by Mark Horowitz

How are you Hazel? Things improving?

Thanks for asking Dave.

Things have been up and down over the past week.  I have good days where I think I am stabilizing, and then am hit with high anxiety and sleepless nights.  Every time I get hit by a wave I doubt I will ever be able to stabilize on Paroxetine, but when I feel good, I’m sure I can do it.  I’m guessing you can relate.  I am feeling good at the moment, so hopefully this continues for a while.  I could use a nice long break from withdrawal 😊

17 minutes ago, Hazel said:

Thanks for asking Dave.

Things have been up and down over the past week.  I have good days where I think I am stabilizing, and then am hit with high anxiety and sleepless nights.  Every time I get hit by a wave I doubt I will ever be able to stabilize on Paroxetine, but when I feel good, I’m sure I can do it.  I’m guessing you can relate.  I am feeling good at the moment, so hopefully this continues for a while.  I could use a nice long break from withdrawal 😊

Boy can I ever relate, exactly how I have been feeling for a good while now. So weird how all the doubt just fades away when feeling good, but comes back turning doubt into certainty when the anxiety hits!

1 hour ago, DaveB said:

Boy can I ever relate, exactly how I have been feeling for a good while now. So weird how all the doubt just fades away when feeling good, but comes back turning doubt into certainty when the anxiety hits!

Hazel and Dave the great thing is you are getting windows, so your starting to stabilise, it just takes time. 

Guided by Mark Horowitz

Hi Cheeky!

I do try to look at the windows as a good sign that I am stabilizing, but I have had this pattern for about 9 months now or more of a few good days then several bad days and it doesn’t seem to be getting any better.  Have you noticed a difference in the waves and windows you experience, like the waves being shorter and the windows lasting longer?  I really haven’t noticed that in myself yet and feel like I should be by now.  Hope you are feeling good Cheeky?

16 minutes ago, Hazel said:

Hi Cheeky!

I do try to look at the windows as a good sign that I am stabilizing, but I have had this pattern for about 9 months now or more of a few good days then several bad days and it doesn’t seem to be getting any better.  Have you noticed a difference in the waves and windows you experience, like the waves being shorter and the windows lasting longer?  I really haven’t noticed that in myself yet and feel like I should be by now.  Hope you are feeling good Cheeky?

Hazel the difference with myself and you is I went back to my antidepressant I"ve been on all my life which is Paxil. I tried other drugs and couldn't stabilize so after 3 months of trying Cymbalta, Zoloft I went back on paxil.

Guided by Mark Horowitz

5 minutes ago, Cheeky said:

Hazel the difference with myself and you is I went back to my antidepressant I"ve been on all my life which is Paxil. I tried other drugs and couldn't stabilize so after 3 months of trying Cymbalta, Zoloft I went back on paxil.

Yes, I’m sure that makes a big difference that you went back to the drug you were on for a long time.  I wish I would have found this site before switching, but now I just have to hope that eventually I will stabilize on Paxil.