Hazel: struggling with Paxil to Prozac bridge

Hazel

@Rosetta and @Rabe thanks for the support.  Yesterday was a bad day and today is not off to a good start either.  I started my period yesterday, so I know that is a big part of it.  Just hoping to get through the next couple of days as I am going back to work Monday.  Things have to improve at some point.

Zoloft 50 mg Fall 2003-October 2016

I went up to 150 mg for several months during the winter of 2016 after going through a tough time trying to stabilize.

Lexapro 5 mg and then 10 mg October 2016-December 2016

Paxil December 2016 to present.  Started at 10 mg went up to 20 mg for three weeks and started reducing by 5mg every 2 weeks per doctors orders.  Got down to 7.5 mg and ran into trouble, found this website and updosed to 10 mg.

9mg paroxetine June 18-6.5 mg in am 2.5 mg pm.  

July 20 began switch to Citalopram-9 mg Paxil and 5 mg citalopram

July 24-7.5mg paroxetine and 7.5mg Citalopram 

July 27-5mg paroxetine and 10 citalopram 

July 30-2.5 paroxetine and 10 of Citalopram 

August 2-2mg paroxetine and 10mg Citalopram, dropped paroxetine Aug. 3

August 8 increased to 15 mg citalopram

Take 1mg lorazepam as needed and 3mg melatonin at night.

@Altostrata

please don’t be upset with me but I really need your advice.  I am not doing well at all and seem to be getting worse instead of better.  Do you think there is any way the increase could be contributing to this?

I just don’t know what to do anymore.  This has become unbearable for me.  I will likely have to quit my job this week as I can’t function properly at work.  The anxiety has been through the roof this morning and I just can’t take it anymore.  All of the coping tools just aren’t cutting it. The only thing keeping me going at this point are my kids.

I don’t want to go on another medication or switch things up, but I just can’t keep going on like this.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I went up to 150 mg for several months during the winter of 2016 after going through a tough time trying to stabilize.

Paxil December 2016 to present.  Started at 10 mg went up to 20 mg for three weeks and started reducing by 5mg every 2 weeks per doctors orders.  Got down to 7.5 mg and ran into trouble, found this website and updosed to 10 mg.

Also,

I am going to call my doctor and ask again about the lamictal.  If he would be willing to prescribe 25mg would it be safe to make my own liquid and start with 2.5 mg or less?  

Hello Hazel,

I see that you are really struggling.  A few words about Lamictal:  I tried it, used a 25 mg pill and made my own liquid to get 2 mg, so it is doable.  It was somewhat effective for me.  However, it gave me serious side effects at that dosage and I had to discontinue.  Not everyone will have that reaction, but to be on the safe side, I would really recommend starting really low like 0.5 mg.  Then you can titrate up every week or so as needed, if side effects are tolerable.  

In the meantime, have you tried l-theanine? There is an SA thread on this, do a search.  Many have tried it and some have had success with it for anxiety.  It may not take the anxiety completely away, but could take the edge off it.  Maybe worth a try.  

I hope you find some relief.  Anxiety is one of the worst symptoms ever.  Best.

PAST

Gabapentin:  about 6 months in 2015, 300-900 mg, cold turkeyed Sept 2015 (at same time dc'd Klonopin)

Klonopin: June 2014- Sept 2015; 1mg tapered over 6 mths, dc'd at 0.25mg, withdrawal hellish (perhaps because of concurrent dc of gabapentin)

Mirtazepine: Jumped off at 2.4 mg. (stable in 8 months).

Seroquel:  June 14 - July 24, 2016, 25 mg alternate nights; smaller doses for shorter periods. Total use about 3 months 

Lamictal: March 19, 2018 - 1 mg; March 23 - 1.25 mg; April 6 - 2mg. Discontinued at 2 mgJuly 1, 2018 due to Steven Johnson Syndrome.

CURRENT

Supplements: Vit D, turmeric

Naturethroid: 65 mcg for hypothyroidism

Trazodone: Oct 2015 - June 2016; 75 mg tapered over 2 mths, intense w/d after 3 weeks. Reinstatement: 07/25/16 - 25 mg; updosed 08/03/16 - 50 mg;  10/01/16-  62mg; 03/24/17 dropped to 50 mg (stable in 2.5 months)

Current psych meds: Trazodone 50 mg

Hi Survivor1.

Yes, I am really struggling.  The anxiety is super high today.  I just don’t understand why it’s so bad now.

Thanks for sharing your experience with lamictal.  My doctor said no again anyway and my regular doc won’t prescribe it either, so I doubt I’ll be trying it.  

I’ve tried L-theanine but haven’t noticed a difference.  Does it work right away or need to build up in your system.  I am just nervous about taking anything as most things make me feel worse at this time.

I really appreciate your support.  I keep praying this passes soon.

• Administrator
On 4/8/2017 at 10:46 PM, Hazel said:

Hi all,

I have been struggling off and on over the last 14 years with what I thought was anxiety the whole time, but am now realizing it was more likely withdrawal from stopping antidepressants too quickly. The first SSRI I was put on was Paxil. I tapered off after 7 months because I never really liked the idea of being on an antidepressant. I started having anxiety a few months later and was switched to 50 mg of Zoloft. I tried multiple times over the next 13 or so years to stop Zoloft, but the anxiety always returned, so back on I would go.

In the fall of 2015 I had a return of anxiety after reducing the Zoloft to 25mg and tried to go back to 50, but it wasn't helping, so ended up going to 150mg before I felt relief. I again tried tapering last summer and got down to 25mg and experienced increased anxiety as well as insomnia. My doctor switched me to Lexapro last October, but it only made me more anxious, so after 10 weeks he switched me to Paxil. I got up to 20mg of Paxil for 3 weeks and wasn't feeling any better, so finally decided I had enough and wanted off the antidepressants.

I started tapering at the end of January down to 15mg for 2 weeks, then 10 for 2 weeks, then to 7.5, and after about a week and a half at 7.5 started feeling really anxious again. I found this site and decided to go back up to 10mg of Paxil and stabilized for about 2 weeks and then started tapering 10%.

Was doing pretty well for a couple of weeks at 9mg and then started feeling a little anxiety creep in. I talked to my doctor about switching to Prozac to make the tapering hopefully easier, so a week ago this Friday I started taking 4.5 mg each of Paxil and Prozac. I have experienced some ups and downs with anxiety since then, and am having a particularly difficult time right now. Feeling quite anxious and can't sleep.

I took .5mg lorazepam tablet and am feeling a bit better, but not sure what to do now. I was going to switch to just 9mg of the Prozac and eliminate the Paxil tomorrow, but not sure if I should continue with the half and half mixture I have been doing or maybe even just go back to the Paxil alone?

This just sucks so bad. I know I have probably screwed up my system so much with all of these changes and can only pray the damage is reversible. I was feeling pretty good earlier today, but then started feeling terrible as the evening went on. Haven't felt this bad in a while. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Hazel, I don't know what to suggest.

You've made so many drug changes, it's hard to tell whether going up or down makes any sense. Your troubles started back in 2015, when you went off Zoloft. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it doesn't seem that Paxil ever helped. Your drug changes ever since have been continuous. You gave a switch to Prozac exactly one day before you went back to Paxil.

I'm very sorry, your guess is as good as mine as to what you should do now. I do not know if increasing the Paxil will help, or what drug might substitute for it, or if you should go back on Zoloft. A little lamotrigine was my best guess.

(Survivor's adverse reaction to a tiny dose of lamotrigine was very, very rare.)

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Thanks @Altostrata.

I actually went off Zoloft in October of 2016, and no, the Paxil never helped.  I went off the Prozac and back on Paxil when I did because it was suggested by more than 1 moderator here to go back to Paxil when my anxiety increased on the Prozac.  

I really don’t think I’ve made a lot of drug changes over the last year.  I was on 8mg of Paxil last year at this time and am now on 9.  I did lower to 7.5 last December and then tried to go to 7, but felt worse so went back to 7.5 after a few days and held until this past May when you suggested I increase.  

I know I made a lot of mistakes with going off Zoloft too quickly and switching to Lexapro and then Paxil.  Then I started tapering the Paxil way too quickly-on doctor’s recommendation, but after I found this site I did updose a bit.  I obviously didn’t hold for long enough though.

I guess I am wondering if you think I can stabilize if I just do nothing and hold at this point?  I am really struggling to just get by.  I am feeling more hopeless than ever.

• Administrator

I have given you my best guess. As Paxil never helped, I don't see how you can stabilize on it.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

1 minute ago, Altostrata said:

I have given you my best guess. As Paxil never helped, I don't see how you can stabilize on it.

I do appreciate your help.  Does this mean I should start tapering the Paxil?  Can I ask what you would do?  I am seriously desperate for help at this point.  

• Administrator
On 4/10/2017 at 5:04 AM, Hazel said:

Thanks so much for replying. I didn't have a good title, so thanks to whoever fixed that:) My doctor-who is a psychiatrist, doesn't seem to have a clue about how to taper slowly. He said after a month I can stop the Prozac since it is self-tapering. I obviously will not do that.

I decided yesterday to stop the Paxil and took 9mg of Prozac. Still felt anxious early on in the day, but actually started feeling better as the day went on and slept good last night. I woke up with anxiety this morning, but that is typical. I am starting to feel better as the morning goes on. I am thinking I will stay on the Prozac for at least a week and see how I feel. I am hoping the worst from making the switch is over, but if things get bad, I will likely go back to Paxil.

I know I've gone too quickly in this tapering process. As I was writing my intro that became painfully obvious. I hope to stabilize on the Prozac and then hold for at least a month before making any adjustments.

I am just so happy to have found this site. It is so amazing to have support and feedback from people who understand what this is like. The information is life-changing a well. I would have never known that all of the struggling with trying to get off SSRI's was withdrawal and not a return of anxiety. My doctor certainly never told me this. It's just so sad that so many people are suffering unnecessarily.

Thanks again!

We can only work with what you report, Hazel. Here, you indicate the switch to Prozac was working. Later, you report anxiety. Was it anxiety from the drug change or was it anxiety over the drug change? We don't know.

When people don't have confidence in their drug changes, they often hopskotch around on their drugs. Your posts in this topic show this pattern. You reported anxiety related to every drug change.

We don't have any way to foretell the future. We don't know what drug changes are best for you. All we can do is make our best guess and suggest you give it a try. This means holding on a dose for at least 4 days, to see what it does -- unless there's a significant adverse reaction. The moderators interpreted your anxiety after the Prozac switch as a significant bad reaction, but it could have meant you were scared about the drug change.

Unfortunately, you have to have the determination to see these changes through yourself. If we could somehow do a side experiment on a duplicate Hazel to see what would happen if, for example, you switched to Prozac, we would. But we don't have a duplicate Hazel, so we have to ask you to do this experiment yourself.

(By the way, this is what doctors do -- they don't know what will happen, either, but because they're doctors, you might have more confidence in their recommendations.)

So, If I suggested a switch to Prozac again, what would happen? Would it be a replay of your attempt in 2017? Would Prozac make you feel worse? Would you get scared, make yourself feel worse, and back out? I don't know.

I cannot take the responsibility of telling you what to do and have you blame me for feeling worse. I don't know the answer. You will have to choose between all the alternatives yourself. More important, you will need to see the experiment through.

If you don't have the confidence to do this yourself, I suggest you work with a doctor whose authority you respect.

We can only work with what you report, Hazel. Here, you indicate the switch to Prozac was working. Later, you report anxiety. Was it anxiety from the drug change or was it anxiety over the drug change? We don't know.

When people don't have confidence in their drug changes, they often hopskotch around on their drugs. Your posts in this topic show this pattern. You reported anxiety related to every drug change.

We don't have any way to foretell the future. We don't know what drug changes are best for you. All we can do is make our best guess and suggest you give it a try. This means holding on a dose for at least 4 days, to see what it does -- unless there's a significant adverse reaction. The moderators interpreted your anxiety as a significant bad reaction, but it could have meant you were scared about the drug change.

Unfortunately, you have to have the determination to see these changes through yourself. If we could somehow do a side experiment on a duplicate Hazel to see what would happen if, for example, you switched to Prozac, we would. But we don't have a duplicate Hazel, so we have to ask you to do this experiment yourself.

(By the way, this is what doctors do -- they don't know what will happen, either, but because they're doctors, you might have more confidence in their recommendations.)

So, If I suggested a switch to Prozac again, what would happen? Would it be a replay of your attempt in 2017? Would Prozac make you feel worse? Would you get scared, make yourself feel worse, and back out? I don't know.

I cannot take the responsibility of telling you what to do and have you blame me for feeling worse. I don't know the answer. You will have to choose between all the alternatives yourself. More important, you will need to see the experiment through.

If you don't have the confidence to do this yourself, I suggest you work with a doctor whose authority you respect.

I really respect your input most Alto.  That is why I won’t listen to what my doctor wants me to do.  I really do very much value your knowledge in this matter.  I believe you know more about this than anyone.  And you’re right.  I do get scared about changes, and if I could do it over again, I would have given the Prozac more time.  I really would appreciate your advice on what to do going forward.  I know it is on me to do whatever I do.  I just would appreciate your expertise on this.

Thank you!

• Administrator

Hazel, I suggested lamotrigine because it seems like the likeliest thing to help and, if you take a very small amount, the least likely to make you worse.

Switching to another antidepressant might help or it might make you worse. I would feel terrible if it made you worse. I cannot take on that risk for you.

Hi Hazel,

Im sorry you are having a difficult time.  

I know for myself all that has happened to me, which was the result of trusting doctors who knew me well or not well, made me very afraid, feeling there was no where to go for help, I find it hard to go to doctors, take new meds, make changes in current meds, eat different foods, take supplements, commit to things. The paradox for me is that I dont trust me either and yet I find it so hard to let go of 'control' because I trust nothing else.  Kind of leaves me in the desert which is vast and lonely and full of scary things.

When I read your posts it seems that you do better until a change is made or someone does or says something that causes you to feel uncertain or not supported, or you have a solid commitment like work. Seems that perhaps you begin to second guess and worry about changes if there is anything that feels adverse...and that starts a spiral in a sense until someone offers something else that might right your boat.  

I have found that days, weeks, or a month are not long in this WD world, though they seem like an eternity when I am struggling...and I so wish I could do something to make it better.  I start thinking maybe it is this food or the weather or the compounded med capsules change...anything to give me an anchor.  

It seems you may be doing the same?  Fear is so dark and I feel I want to grasp at any light to help me through...but I usually grasp before think.  

Dont know if any of this makes sense...I ramble when my mind is WD.  I hope that trust returns for you, and that in the midst of everything the darkness gets lighter with the trust as your light. We can work on it together!!  💜 Blessings and love!

-Nardil 1976 < year, stopped. React to AD's. Klonopin .5BID 1990, 2.5mg til 2016

-Klonopin doubled Jan '16. Taper to 2.25mg May to Nov '16. Bad react to Lexapro, stop. React to Prevacid too, taper off. 

-November '16 Tapered .25mg Klonopin in hospital. Jan '17 started Viibryd, 20mg from Feb to June '17,     

-20mg to 10mg Viibryd from 3/25 to 6/10 2017, 12/15 10% Viibryd taper...back up next day

-Clonazepam 2mg to 1.85mg 4/14 '17 to end November; taper to 1mg Clonazepam in hospital 9/1 tp 9/14 '17

-Feb '18 Amiloride .25mg  5/18 off Amiloride d/t react. Clonaz compounded  

-4/27 '18 Viibryd 9.5mg, 6/11 9.0 mg, 1/27 '19 Viibryd 8.75mg, ; Clonazepam .2mg 530pm and .7mg 1130pm, Premarin .3mg 830PM CARAFATE QID 2/27/19 to 3/5/19

-July 6'19 1/2 10mg Claritin 230pm, stopped it about July 18, started Oct 11 '19, 

-7/27 Viibryd 8.5, 8/29 8.25, 10/24 8.0, 12/19 7.75, Feb '20 7.50, 3/20 7.25, 5/20 7.0, 6/20 6.75, 7/20 6.5, 8/20 6.25, 10/2 20 6.0, 11/25'20 5.75, 1/9/21 5.5, 2/23 5.25

-1015 AM Viibryd, vit D 4,000IU 130, 415 Clonazepam .2mg, 815 Premarin .3mg, 1015 Clonaz .7mg,

1115 3t fish oil+D 1145 Castor Oil 650mg(4) 1230 Carafate 1/2GM,Methylated B Vit  1/week,Reacted Mag prn

Thanks @Altostrata for responding.  I don’t know at this point where I could go for a lamictal prescription.  Both my psych doc and regular doc said no.  I could try a new doctor, but would probably take time to get  in with someone new and then there’s no guarantee they would agree to lamictal either.  I guess all I can do is try to find someone willing to work with me.

Since it sounds like I won’t stabilize on the Paxil, I reduced my dose last night and am back to 8.5 mg.  I will hold for 4 weeks and then try another small reduction and go from there.  There’s no sense staying on it if I won’t likely stabilize any time.

@Rabe

Thanks for the feedback.  I am very afraid right now as there seems to be no answer for what I can do going forward.  I have taken a leave of absence from my work as I couldn’t do it anymore.  My life feels like it is falling apart.  I really wish I could try the lamictal to see if it would at least help a little, but no one is willing to prescribe it for me.  

Making any changes at this point terrifies me as I often feel I get worse instead of better.  It could just be my anxiety getting the better of me, but this last time with increasing doses I really believed I was getting better until I wasn’t.  I do get what you’re saying and know I need to work on not letting any little upset turn into an anxiety spiral.  I need to be more accepting of the process.  

Thanks so much for your support Rabe.  It’s people like you that help me get through the tough times💜

Hi Hazel - I related a lot to your post and how you are feeling.  I understand your fears.  i am in a similar situation where I wasn't stabilizing on citalopram so decided to start a taper off of it.  I know how you feel when you say you feel your life is falling apart - I feel this way a lot.  I am trying to reframe it as we are doing what we can to get our life back.  I too am trying to be more accepting of this process as well. You aren't alone, Hazel.  I am thinking about you - WR.

-1/06 - 3/07 Cymbalta. Fast taper (essentially CT); withdrawal symptoms after 4 mos (didn't realize was WD)

-10/07: 100 mg Zoloft; 1 mg Klonopin - tapered off Klonopin after 4 mos. Several unsuccessful slow tapers of Zoloft; went up and down in dose a lot

-Spring 2013 back on 1 mg Klonopin to counter WD symptoms; switched over 5-6 mos from Zoloft to 35 mg citalopram
-Two attempts at slow tapering citalopram, always increased dose due to WD; also increased Klonopin to 1.25 mg in 2014, then to 1.5 mg in 2015

-8/17-9/17: After holding one year at 20 mg, feeling withdrawal symptoms due to stress - slowly increased to 25 mg. No change in symptoms after 6 months (? tolerance ?)  - decided to start citalopram taper February 2018 (still on Klonopin 1.5 mg).

Supplements: fish oil; magnesium; vitamin D3; curcumin

Citalopram taper:  2/2018 - 12/2019: 25 mg - 11.03 mg I 2020: 10.89 mg - 7.9 mg I 2021: 7.8 mg - 5.26 mg I 2022: 5.2 mg - 3.36 mg I 2023: 3.3 mg - 1.47 mg 2024: 1/5/24: 1.44 mg; 1/19/24: 1.40 mg; 1/26/24: 1.37 mg; 2/2/24: 1.34 mg; 2/9/24: 1.31 mg; 2/23/24: 1.28 mg; 3/1/24: 1.25 mg; 3/8/24: 1.22 mg; 3/15/24: 1.19 mg; 3/29/24: 1.17 mg; 4/5/24: 1.14 mg; 4/13/24: 1.11 mg; 4/20/24: 1.09 mg

Oh Hazel, I often dont say things in way I mean these days...what is happening to you is real....the drugs have caused much of what is going on.  I just find for myself that practically the minute I awaken my mind is working so hard for some answer somewhere....but there doest seem to be one that makes sense to me I guess.  This whole host of events hasn't made sense.  My system has become so sensitized that I react to pretty much everything.

But, like you, I feel that if the meds are working against me then best to get off them as slowly as I can.  Been about 5 weeks since I dropped and think I will hold longer to see if I get more stable.  Its hard to know isn't it?  

I hope not working helps.  Know that was a hard decision but feel it might actually take some pressure off until you can feel a path forward.  If you are near MKE I know a doctor who would help.

Thinking of you!!  HUGS!!! 

-Nardil 1976 < year, stopped. React to AD's. Klonopin .5BID 1990, 2.5mg til 2016

-Klonopin doubled Jan '16. Taper to 2.25mg May to Nov '16. Bad react to Lexapro, stop. React to Prevacid too, taper off. 

-November '16 Tapered .25mg Klonopin in hospital. Jan '17 started Viibryd, 20mg from Feb to June '17,     

-20mg to 10mg Viibryd from 3/25 to 6/10 2017, 12/15 10% Viibryd taper...back up next day

-Clonazepam 2mg to 1.85mg 4/14 '17 to end November; taper to 1mg Clonazepam in hospital 9/1 tp 9/14 '17

-4/27 '18 Viibryd 9.5mg, 6/11 9.0 mg, 1/27 '19 Viibryd 8.75mg, ; Clonazepam .2mg 530pm and .7mg 1130pm, Premarin .3mg 830PM CARAFATE QID 2/27/19 to 3/5/19

-July 6'19 1/2 10mg Claritin 230pm, stopped it about July 18, started Oct 11 '19, 

-7/27 Viibryd 8.5, 8/29 8.25, 10/24 8.0, 12/19 7.75, Feb '20 7.50, 3/20 7.25, 5/20 7.0, 6/20 6.75, 7/20 6.5, 8/20 6.25, 10/2 20 6.0, 11/25'20 5.75, 1/9/21 5.5, 2/23 5.25

-1015 AM Viibryd, vit D 4,000IU 130, 415 Clonazepam .2mg, 815 Premarin .3mg, 1015 Clonaz .7mg,

1115 3t fish oil+D 1145 Castor Oil 650mg(4) 1230 Carafate 1/2GM,Methylated B Vit  1/week,Reacted Mag prn

• Administrator
6 hours ago, Hazel said:

Since it sounds like I won’t stabilize on the Paxil, I reduced my dose last night and am back to 8.5 mg.  I will hold for 4 weeks and then try another small reduction and go from there.  There’s no sense staying on it if I won’t likely stabilize any time.

More changes, Hazel, despite our recommending you stop doing this.

35 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

More changes, Hazel, despite our recommending you stop doing this.

You told me I won’t likely stabilize on the Paxil, so I didn’t see a reason to stay on it.  I can go back to 9mg if that is what you think I should do?  I just thought if I can’t stabilize on it, what good is it to continue on it?  I guess I am confused.  My apologies.

4 hours ago, wantrelief said:

Hi Hazel - I related a lot to your post and how you are feeling.  I understand your fears.  i am in a similar situation where I wasn't stabilizing on citalopram so decided to start a taper off of it.  I know how you feel when you say you feel your life is falling apart - I feel this way a lot.  I am trying to reframe it as we are doing what we can to get our life back.  I too am trying to be more accepting of this process as well. You aren't alone, Hazel.  I am thinking about you - WR.

Thanks for your support Wantrelief.  I know we have similar situations.  I am so confused at this point as what to do.  I guess I keep holding and hope things improve?  So ready to just give up.  Sorry for the negativity.  I’m just frustrated.

• Administrator

Hazel, we've told you repeatedly that constantly diddling with your drug dosing is causing you problems. Jumping around in Paxil dosage isn't going to help you, either.

You need to make a plan and stick to it.

Hazel, we've told you repeatedly that constantly diddling with your drug dosing is causing you problems. Jumping around in Paxil dosage isn't going to help you, either.

You need to make a plan and stick to it.

So are you saying I can stabilize on the Paxil if I hold long enough?

• Administrator

I don't know. Since Paxil never seemed to help, it's doubtful. However, jumping around with your Paxil dose just to do something is a bad idea.

You'd be better off taking Paxil consistently until you have a definite plan, one that you will stick to. Who knows, maybe taking the drug consistently will work eventually.

I don't know. Since Paxil never seemed to help, it's doubtful. However, jumping around with your Paxil dose just to do something is a bad idea.

You'd be better off taking Paxil consistently until you have a definite plan, one that you will stick to. Who knows, maybe taking the drug consistently will work eventually.

I will go back to 9mg of Paxil tonight.  Unfortunately I don’t have a plan.  I have no idea where to go from here.

38 minutes ago, Hazel said:

Thanks for your support Wantrelief.  I know we have similar situations.  I am so confused at this point as what to do.  I guess I keep holding and hope things improve?  So ready to just give up.  Sorry for the negativity.  I’m just frustrated.

No worries, Hazel, you aren't being negative....I completely understand how frustrated you feel - and probably a whole lot of other things too.  Maybe it would make sense to hold on the 9 mg for awhile since it looks like you've been on that dose only since 6/18?  It could be that you do find some stability if you hold for a few months.  If that doesn't work, then you could try a super slow taper down.

-1/06 - 3/07 Cymbalta. Fast taper (essentially CT); withdrawal symptoms after 4 mos (didn't realize was WD)

-10/07: 100 mg Zoloft; 1 mg Klonopin - tapered off Klonopin after 4 mos. Several unsuccessful slow tapers of Zoloft; went up and down in dose a lot

-Spring 2013 back on 1 mg Klonopin to counter WD symptoms; switched over 5-6 mos from Zoloft to 35 mg citalopram
-Two attempts at slow tapering citalopram, always increased dose due to WD; also increased Klonopin to 1.25 mg in 2014, then to 1.5 mg in 2015

-8/17-9/17: After holding one year at 20 mg, feeling withdrawal symptoms due to stress - slowly increased to 25 mg. No change in symptoms after 6 months (? tolerance ?)  - decided to start citalopram taper February 2018 (still on Klonopin 1.5 mg).

Citalopram taper:  2/2018 - 12/2019: 25 mg - 11.03 mg I 2020: 10.89 mg - 7.9 mg I 2021: 7.8 mg - 5.26 mg I 2022: 5.2 mg - 3.36 mg I 2023: 3.3 mg - 1.47 mg 2024: 1/5/24: 1.44 mg; 1/19/24: 1.40 mg; 1/26/24: 1.37 mg; 2/2/24: 1.34 mg; 2/9/24: 1.31 mg; 2/23/24: 1.28 mg; 3/1/24: 1.25 mg; 3/8/24: 1.22 mg; 3/15/24: 1.19 mg; 3/29/24: 1.17 mg; 4/5/24: 1.14 mg; 4/13/24: 1.11 mg; 4/20/24: 1.09 mg

I am sorry Hazel....your frustration is understandable...its not negativity but true feelings.  I too think that holding tight would be a very good thing...guess that was what I was trying to say before. 

If that seems overwhelming perhaps put it in stages...goals.  Hold for a month and see how things are at that point.  If ok, hold for another and see how things are going?  

Just thinking about you SO much!! It will be ok....it will.  💜

2 hours ago, wantrelief said:

No worries, Hazel, you aren't being negative....I completely understand how frustrated you feel - and probably a whole lot of other things too.  Maybe it would make sense to hold on the 9 mg for awhile since it looks like you've been on that dose only since 6/18?  It could be that you do find some stability if you hold for a few months.  If that doesn't work, then you could try a super slow taper down.

Thanks Wantrelief.  I will hold on the 9mg. It has been since 6/18 that I increased.  Hopefully more holding is what my brain needs.  I don’t know what else I can do at this point?  I so appreciate your support.  How are you doing?

2 hours ago, Rabe said:

I am sorry Hazel....your frustration is understandable...its not negativity but true feelings.  I too think that holding tight would be a very good thing...guess that was what I was trying to say before. 

If that seems overwhelming perhaps put it in stages...goals.  Hold for a month and see how things are at that point.  If ok, hold for another and see how things are going?  

Just thinking about you SO much!! It will be ok....it will.  💜

Thanks so much Rabe!  I will continue to hold and pray I see some improvement soon.  Today has been better than yesterday, so I just have to take it one day at a time😊

44 minutes ago, Hazel said:

Thanks Wantrelief.  I will hold on the 9mg. It has been since 6/18 that I increased.  Hopefully more holding is what my brain needs.  I don’t know what else I can do at this point?  I so appreciate your support.  How are you doing?

I am very glad to hear that today is better than yesterday.  This really is a one day at a time experience, sometimes one hour at a time.  I am hopeful that if you hold for awhile your brain will settle more which will then hopefully make it easier to taper when you are ready.  Thank you for asking how I am doing....hormonal stuff is making things challenging at the moment but hopefully it will pass soon.  It is one day at a time for me too.  I am grateful to have one another on this not so fun journey - WR.

Hazel, the best thing you can do is hold at whatever dose you are at for a good 6-12 months.  I had to do a 6 month hold every year for 3 years in a row.  You will still have anxiety, but you have to learn to put up with it and find ways to help alleviate it.  I have had anxiety for 7 years in w/d now.  Probably Paxil is a demon for this aspect.  The more you jump around in doses, you may have to wait for a year to stabilise...

Did you wait a good 6-12 months to stabilise when you switched to Paxil?

I was switched UNAWARES to a generic brand and went downhill fast and bad, it was hell.  I did a 6 month hold and then realised what had happened and can't remember now if I kept holding after that, I'd have to look it up.  Anyway, I DO KNOW IT TOOK ME 2 YEARS to get back on track after that switch.

I'm sorry I have to say this, but I do think it is very hard for us to "get it" when we are anxiopus, and we like to think we are not like everyone else but can do it fast, quicker, etc.. 

1995-2007      20mg Aropax/Paxil for pain.  Years of up and down doses

2008                Endep, Lexapro and then Esipram (hell!) CT (oh dear!)

2009                20mg Aropax.  Tried skipping doses for a year (more hell!)

2010                10mg.  10% taper.  Lasted 4 months. Crashed again

2011                5% taper. 9mg-7mg (hell got even worse!)

2012                2.5% taper.  6.6mg – 5.6mg (worser still & unbearable)

2013                5% taper.  Big mistake.  5.5mg – 4.6mg  (even worserer)

2014                2.5% taper.  4.9mg – 4.5mg;    2015 2.5% taper 4.4 - 4.0mg

2016                2.5% taper.  3.9mg  Feb 3.8   Mar 3.7  May 3.6   Jul 3.5

2017                2.5% taper.  Jan 3.4;   Mar 3.35;  Apr 3.3; Oct 3; Dec 2.9;

2018                2.5% taper. Jan 2.8; Mar 2.7; Mar: 2.75; Jun 2.7; Aug 2.6; Oct 2.5; Nov 2.4; Dec 2.3

2019                Jan 2.2; Feb 2.1;

1 hour ago, wantrelief said:

I am very glad to hear that today is better than yesterday.  This really is a one day at a time experience, sometimes one hour at a time.  I am hopeful that if you hold for awhile your brain will settle more which will then hopefully make it easier to taper when you are ready.  Thank you for asking how I am doing....hormonal stuff is making things challenging at the moment but hopefully it will pass soon.  It is one day at a time for me too.  I am grateful to have one another on this not so fun journey - WR.

Guess I spoke too soon.  Anxiety is back and high again.  This sucks!

I also am grateful to have one another on this journey.  It makes it more manageable.

@grandmaD

Thanks for your feedback.  I will hold as long as it takes.  I just want to be stable at this point.

19 minutes ago, Hazel said:

Guess I spoke too soon.  Anxiety is back and high again.  This sucks!

I also am grateful to have one another on this journey.  It makes it more manageable.

Ugh - so sorry to hear about the anxiety, Hazel.  This does really suck.  You are in my thoughts - WR.

• Moderator Emeritus

GrandmaD's post reminded me that during my paroxetine taper I had to hold at 6.3mg for about eight and a half months. 

2001–2002 paroxetine

2003  citalopram

2004-2008  paroxetine (various failed tapers) 
2008  paroxetine slow taper down to

2016  Aug off paroxetine
2016  citalopram May 20mg  Oct 15mg … slow taper down
2018  citalopram 13 Feb 4.6mg 15 Mar 4.4mg 29 Apr 4.2mg 6 Jul 4.1mg 17 Aug 4.0mg  18 Nov 3.8mg
2019  15 Mar 3.6mg  21 May 3.4mg  26 Dec 3.2mg 

2020  19 Feb 3.0mg 19 Jul 2.9mg 16 Sep 2.8mg 25 Oct 2.7mg 23 Oct 2.6mg 24 Dec 2.5mg

2021   29 Aug 2.4mg   15 Nov 2.3mg

5 hours ago, Songbird said:

GrandmaD's post reminded me that during my paroxetine taper I had to hold at 6.3mg for about eight and a half months. 

Thanks Songbird.  I am just afraid that no matter how long I hold, I won’t be able to stabilize on the paroxetine.  Alto doesn’t seem to think I will since I have never really been stable on it.  I just don’t know what to do anymore and I seem to be getting worse and worse.

• Moderator Emeritus

I think there are some people who don't stabilise completely (to the point of no symptoms,) but their symptoms eventually settle down to a bearable level, so that eventually they can slowly taper.  It might be a good idea to keep up the daily journal, rating symptoms out of 10, so you can see what's happening over time.  In my experience sometimes you feel like you are getting worse or not improving, but when you look back at your journal it can be surprising how it differs from your perceptions and memories.

Also, what really helped me when I was in a really bad way, was to make a little plan for each day with a few easy things on it that I could tick off when I'd done them and feel good about it.  Not too many things as you don't want to feel pressured or overwhelmed.  Small easy things to focus on and take your mind off yourself.  It could be just doing laundry.  I wrote the plan down on a piece of paper so I could refer back to it throughout the day, tick off tasks and give myself a little pat on the back.

Also having some things to look forward to each day, like little treats.  For example, I stopped watching the news or any dramatic TV shows, and instead I watched fun games shows every evening.  Even when the days were really horrible, that was something to look forward to each evening.  I read very light and happy books, like romances (a genre I don't usually read!)  I also used a lot of affirmations and positive self-talk - repeating positive phrases to myself over and over.  I don't know how you spend your time, but try to be as kind to yourself as possible - be very gentle with your nervous system - create a daily routine of positive gentle stuff as much as possible.

2001–2002 paroxetine

2003  citalopram

2004-2008  paroxetine (various failed tapers) 
2008  paroxetine slow taper down to

2016  Aug off paroxetine
2016  citalopram May 20mg  Oct 15mg … slow taper down
2018  citalopram 13 Feb 4.6mg 15 Mar 4.4mg 29 Apr 4.2mg 6 Jul 4.1mg 17 Aug 4.0mg  18 Nov 3.8mg
2019  15 Mar 3.6mg  21 May 3.4mg  26 Dec 3.2mg 

2020  19 Feb 3.0mg 19 Jul 2.9mg 16 Sep 2.8mg 25 Oct 2.7mg 23 Oct 2.6mg 24 Dec 2.5mg

2021   29 Aug 2.4mg   15 Nov 2.3mg

@Altostrata

You keep saying I need a plan and I agree. I know you don’t want to take responsibility for what I do as it may make things worse, but I honestly don’t know what to do at this point.  I would really appreciate your input.

I have been feeling very high anxiety every day and I am having a hard time managing.  I am willing to continue holding, but from what you have said, it doesn’t sound like it will help much.

I don’t think I can get a prescription for the lamictal.  I asked my psychiatrist and my regular doctor and they said no.  I tried to get in with another doctor, but they said I need to work with my psychiatrist.  I tried making an appointment with another psychiatrist, but they said they are only taking patients who are already established with their organization.  So, I am at a loss.

I’ve thought about reinstating a tiny dose of Zoloft, but don’t know how that would work.  Would I start on a tiny dose like .5mg while still on paroxetine and then drop the paroxetine after a week or 2?  I know trying to go back to Zoloft would be a huge gamble, but I am desperate at this point.  I don’t know that Prozac would really work since I felt it was too activating for me.  If I tried a different SSRI I was thinking Celexa.  

These are my thoughts.  I would really appreciate any feedback you might have on the matter.