Hazel

Hazel: struggling with Paxil to Prozac bridge

Rosetta

Me, too, Hazel!

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/16629-rosetta-ct-may-2011-too-fast-taper-feb-2017/?page=25

2001-2011 Celexa 10 mg raised to 40 mg then 60 mg over this time period

May 2011 OB Doctor's Cold switch Celexa 60 mg to 10 mg Zoloft sertraline (baby born)

2012-2016 - Doctors raised dose of Zoloft up to 150 mg

2016 - Xanax prescribed - as needed - 0.5 mg about every 3 days (bad reaction)

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Late 2016- Began (too fast) taper of Zoloft

Early 2017 - Trazodone prescribed for bedtime (doseage unknown)

Feb 2017 - Completed taper/stopped Trazodone

Drug free since Feb 2017

2017 - Unisom otc very rarely for sleep

Carmie

Hi Hazel, 

Just checking in to see how you’re doing. Are you still doing okay?💚

Been on antipsychotics, benzos, antidepressants and painkillers for chronic pain. 

Have been cold turkeyed and put on and off all sorts of things.  Was suicidal n ended up in a psych ward because I had akathisia from withdrawals. I can’t remember what I was put on but when I was released was in the same predicament with severe akathisia n was suicidal again.

Back to the psych ward and I was given a number of different drugs while there. Tapered off one when I got home n have been trying to taper off Seroquel since. It’s been years, tapering slowly but still having severe withdrawals.

I’ve  tapered from 300mg of Seroquel to 7.5mg./ March 10th 2019=7.25mg / 17th of April 2019= 7mg / June 5th=6.75mg/ July 14th=6.50mg/ 28th of August=6.25mg/ 10th of Oct= 6.20mg/ 21st October 6mg/ 16th of December 5.80mg/21st of January 5.60mg/

I AM NOT A MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL. These are my own views based on what I’ve experienced myself.

Hazel
17 hours ago, Carmie said:

Hi Hazel, 

Just checking in to see how you’re doing. Are you still doing okay?💚

Hi Carmie,

good to hear from you.  I am still doing well.  I plan to continue to hold yet for a while and will start a slow taper when i am up for it.

How have you been?

Zoloft 50 mg Fall 2003-October 2016

I went up to 150 mg for several months during the winter of 2016 after going through a tough time trying to stabilize.

Lexapro 5 mg and then 10 mg October 2016-December 2016

Paxil December 2016 to present.  Started at 10 mg went up to 20 mg for three weeks and started reducing by 5mg every 2 weeks per doctors orders.  Got down to 7.5 mg and ran into trouble, found this website and updosed to 10 mg.

9mg paroxetine June 18-6.5 mg in am 2.5 mg pm.  

July 20 began switch to Citalopram-9 mg Paxil and 5 mg citalopram

July 24-7.5mg paroxetine and 7.5mg Citalopram 

July 27-5mg paroxetine and 10 citalopram 

July 30-2.5 paroxetine and 10 of Citalopram 

August 2-2mg paroxetine and 10mg Citalopram, dropped paroxetine Aug. 3

August 8 increased to 15 mg citalopram

Take 1mg lorazepam as needed and 3mg melatonin at night.

Altostrata

Good to hear, Hazel.

Looking back, how would you summarize your experience in switching from paroxetine to citalopram? How long did it take your nervous system to settle down at every step?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Hazel
17 hours ago, Altostrata said:

Good to hear, Hazel.

Looking back, how would you summarize your experience in switching from paroxetine to citalopram? How long did it take your nervous system to settle down at every step?

I would say it wasn’t too bad overall.  The first few weeks were tough, but around a month in I knew I made the right decision as I was noticing quite a bit of improvement.

It took about a month each time to settle on an increased dose.  I worked my way up slowly to 10mg to begin with and held for about 1 month or so, then gradually increased to 15mg.  I held there for about 4 months and was still having some ups and downs, so gradually increased to 20 mg by the middle of March where I have continued to hold.

I am feeling good right now and plan to continue to hold until at least the first of the year.  If I am still feeling good I will likely start a slow taper off.

I went up to 150 mg for several months during the winter of 2016 after going through a tough time trying to stabilize.

Paxil December 2016 to present.  Started at 10 mg went up to 20 mg for three weeks and started reducing by 5mg every 2 weeks per doctors orders.  Got down to 7.5 mg and ran into trouble, found this website and updosed to 10 mg.

Altostrata

Please let us know how you're doing.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Carmie

Hi Hazel, 

How have you been doing?🧡

Been on antipsychotics, benzos, antidepressants and painkillers for chronic pain. 

Have been cold turkeyed and put on and off all sorts of things.  Was suicidal n ended up in a psych ward because I had akathisia from withdrawals. I can’t remember what I was put on but when I was released was in the same predicament with severe akathisia n was suicidal again.

Back to the psych ward and I was given a number of different drugs while there. Tapered off one when I got home n have been trying to taper off Seroquel since. It’s been years, tapering slowly but still having severe withdrawals.

I’ve  tapered from 300mg of Seroquel to 7.5mg./ March 10th 2019=7.25mg / 17th of April 2019= 7mg / June 5th=6.75mg/ July 14th=6.50mg/ 28th of August=6.25mg/ 10th of Oct= 6.20mg/ 21st October 6mg/ 16th of December 5.80mg/21st of January 5.60mg/

I AM NOT A MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL. These are my own views based on what I’ve experienced myself.

Hazel

Hi Carmie!

I have been doing well.  I feel like I am very close to being stable on the citalopram. I am back to living my “normal” life again and that feels amazing.

Hope all is well with you and thanks for checking in😊

Carmie

I’m very happy you’re doing so well Hazel🧡

Altostrata

@Hazel, how are you?

Hazel

@Altostrata

I am doing well.  I am at 25 mg of citalopram and have been holding for about 6 months now. I want to continue holding until I feel confident enough to start a very slow taper.

Thanks for checking in🙂

Altostrata

Thank you! What happened after you dropped paroxetine in the course of your bridging to citalopram?

Please update your signature with dates.

Hazel

I actually started to feel an improvement after being off of the paroxetine.  It did take time to adjust to the citalopram, but I never felt as bad as I did while on paroxetine.

Altostrata

Do you recall how much time it took to adjust? What symptoms did you have?

Rosetta

I’m glad you are doing well!

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/16629-rosetta-ct-may-2011-too-fast-taper-feb-2017/?page=25

2001-2011 Celexa 10 mg raised to 40 mg then 60 mg over this time period

May 2011 OB Doctor's Cold switch Celexa 60 mg to 10 mg Zoloft sertraline (baby born)

2012-2016 - Doctors raised dose of Zoloft up to 150 mg

2016 - Xanax prescribed - as needed - 0.5 mg about every 3 days (bad reaction)

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Late 2016- Began (too fast) taper of Zoloft

Early 2017 - Trazodone prescribed for bedtime (doseage unknown)

Feb 2017 - Completed taper/stopped Trazodone

Drug free since Feb 2017

2017 - Unisom otc very rarely for sleep

Hazel

Thank you! @Rosetta

Erell
On 6/18/2020 at 11:49 PM, Altostrata said:

Do you recall how much time it took to adjust? What symptoms did you have?

Hello Hazel, 

would you agree to explain in detail ?

It would be great for our community to gather testimonies about switching.

Take care ❤️

2006 : 20mg Paroxetine + Bromazepam(no specific dose) 

2008 : cold turkey of both

2010 : 20mg Deroxat + Bromazepam(no specific dose) 

2013: Switch from Bromazepam To Prazepam (long half-life)

2014-June2017 : Prazepam taper, 3% drops. 

2018 to August 2019 : weaning Paroxetine 20mg. 3% every 15 days.

- 22nd August updosed To 10mg (was at 8.4mg) because of a big wave. 

25th Sept 2019 To April 2020 : found SA, holding at 10mg Paroxetine. 

April 2020-August 2020 : Paxil to Prozac bridge. Details https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/21457-erell-struggling-with-paroxetine/?do=findComment&comment=499847

Current Supplements : magnesium citrate/ fish oil/ evening primrose oil 

Current medication : 7mg Fluoxetine + 1mg Diazepam + toothpick Paroxetine 

Hazel
22 hours ago, Erell said:

Hello Hazel, 

would you agree to explain in detail ?

It would be great for our community to gather testimonies about switching.

Take care ❤️

Hi,

sorry it’s taken a bit for me to get back on this.  I had to look back on my journal since it’s been a while and I don’t think about it much anymore.  
I started the switch by taking 9mg of paroxetine, which is where I had been, and added 5 mg of citalopram.  The next day I went to 8.5mg of paroxetine and 5 mg citalopram.  I continued to slowly reduce the paroxetine while gradually increasing the citalopram.  I was also taking lorazepam as needed through the process, but didn’t take it every day and never more than 1mg/day.  I dropped the paroxetine after 2 weeks on citalopram and at that point I was up to 10 mg of citalopram.  I was still having a lot of anxiety at that point and decided to increase to 15 mg of citalopram slowly, but it was too much, so slowly went back down to 10mg and held for a little over a month.  I increased to 11 mg and started to notice improvement.  I continued to slowly increase.  I had a lot of ups and downs as I worked my way up to 15 mg over the course of about a month.  Started feeling quite a bit better by mid October, not quite 2 months since I started the switch.  I would continue to have ups and downs on 15 mg over the next 4 months or so, and decided to increase to 20mg slowly by the end of February.  I got up to 20 mg in a month.  I was doing much better at that point until June when I hit another wave.  I got better, but had another wave at the end of July.  I then felt really good till about October 2019 when I started feeling up and down again.  I decided to increase to 25 mg slowly and have held there since.  I don’t plan to increase anymore, but I also am not ready to start a decrease yet either.  I still get some anxiety hear and there, but nothing like before.  I pretty much am back to normal and living my life like before I was in withdrawal.  I don’t like being on the medication, but for now, it is what I need to do to live my life and be happy.

ChessieCat
8 hours ago, Hazel said:

I still get some anxiety hear and there, but nothing like before.

Have you ever tried magnesium for the anxiety?  I have proven, by going and and off a few time, that for me it does reduce my anxiety.

The only supplements which SA recommends are:

Magnesium

Omega-3 Fish Oil

Try a little bit, one at a time, to see how it affects you. 

the-rule-of-3kis-keep-it-simple-keep-it-slow-keep-it-stable

Being very patient.  I'll get there - slowly.  ETA mid 2021

ADs:  25 years - 1 unknown, Prozac (caused muscle weakness), Zoloft/sertraline; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after)

Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (mild Serotonin Toxicity)

Began tapering Oct 2015  Current from 12 Sept 2020:  Pristiq 0.625 mg (compounded)

My tapering program

My Intro (goes to my tapering graph)

My website - includes my brief history + links to videos & information on the web

PLEASE NOTE:  I am not a medical professional.  I provide information and make suggestions.