SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

XavierSpain: Intro Diazepam (benzodiazepine) & Methylphenidate (ADHD)

XavierSpain

Hi! 

I am 28 year male. I´ve suffered for some years a general dizziness, insomnia and lack concentration.  Let me apologise for any future grammar mistake as English is not my first language. 

Just to mention, although I don´t think is relevant, when I was 18 I took venlafaxine ( Vandral) for 1 year and a half or so in order to cope with depression I was suffering. A relative died and everything went messy. 

Anyway, I quit it. I remember I followed more or less the withdrawal instructions doctor gave me. This was long time ago, and I am not sure if it gave any side effect but don´t think so. 

so:

Then from 18-19 to 25 I was taking  methylphenidate which helped me with my assumed attention deficit.

And when I was 23 I had to take Diazepam (benziodiazepines) for 1 month  or less.  Unfortunately I don´t remember all the details. 

To summarise, more or less after quiting diazepam / or ( maybe after so many years of methylphenidate) my mental skills worsened a lot

Last 3-4 years  I´ve been having a severe dizziness and  the hell out of problems with short term memory. Also when there´s a some of stress, I forget everything and become impulsive, as if I was a little bit neurotic. It takes me 1 to sleep if I am relaxes, otherwise I could be awake for 4 hours. 

I visited several doctors (Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Imaging, blood tests, etc), but nothing came from that.
No need to mention that it affects my performance at work. I work in an stressful environment and I belive I have to change because my "blackouts" / forgetful phases are troublesome, specially during the morning ( i wonder if anyone knows why). I already quit coffe but still there. 

1. Does anyone know if benziodiazepines or maybe the interaction between them and methylphenidate could cause you any side effect?

2. Is there any reason why my black outs are stronger in the morning until mid afternoon?

It was good to find this forum as most people and doctors didn´t believe me at all. 

If you  have read it all, many thanks.

Edited by ChessieCat
fixed up spacing

28 years old

from 18 to 20 yearVandral retard (Venlafaxine / Effexor) 75 mg   ( i think)

From  19 to  25 i was taking Medikinet (methylphenidate)  due to my attention deficit. 

When I was 22 I took Diazepam 5 mg (benzodiazepine) for 1 month  or  so because I suffered strong tension on some my muscles and it helps to relax them. 

On all of them the withdrawal was done without much  tapering off. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Xaviar, welcome to SA.  What are you taking now? Your signature lists what you took in the past but does not mention what you take now. 

In your post you said...

. It takes me 1 to sleep if I am relaxes, otherwise I could be awake for 4 hours. " 

Is this a tablet? 

You had several drugs that were stopped very quickly and could be suffering from protracted withdrawal. This can last for a long time for some but there are ways of dealing with the symptoms. 

What is withdrawal syndrome?  

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/603-what-is-withdrawal-syndrome/

Non drug techniques to cope with withdrawal syndrome.

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1112-non-drug-techniques-to-cope-with-emotional-symptoms/

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible