Depression: Illustrated! (it's better than it sounds)

myself

I have been following this blog for a while, and it is hilarious. The blogger didn't post anything for a while, and then one day, this wonderful post came up as an explanation.

http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com/2011/10/adventures-in-depression.html

also, NPR just blogged about it, which you can see here:

NPR blog

Have taken psychiatric meds since 2002.

Wellbutrin, Lexapro, Zoloft, Effexor (not sure of the dosages, or how long I took them...); have taken Clonazepam (1mg, as needed) since 2002 as well.

I was prescribed Adderall in late 2009 (after saying I had problems losing weight), stopped taking it cold turkey in Feb. 2011- made me very anxious, obviously.

Currently: Have been on Pristiq 50mg since 2008, I think. Still taking Clonazepam. Began cutting down my Pristiq dosage on July 22, 2011.

Also- it is my last year of grad school! I am looking forward to graduating, being med-free, and starting a new stage in my life!

• Administrator

Wonderful and very funny. And so true. The drawings are brilliant!

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

I have been following this blog for a while, and it is hilarious. The blogger didn't post anything for a while, and then one day, this wonderful post came up as an explanation.

http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com/2011/10/adventures-in-depression.html

also, NPR just blogged about it, which you can see here:

NPR blog

very interesting, amusing, and sad at the same time.

Various SSRIs/SNRIs 7- 1/2 years

Went Cold Turkey from Celexa 2011, Stayed Off

Psych Drug Free and Loving Life (over 6 years and counting)

How I Stay Well: Diet, exercise, meditation, supplements, etc

I will have to read again. I had a diff take. I did see and relate to the sad, the guilt, self-blame, isolation/withdrawing from people. I also saw a reemergence with greater strength than ever.

I'm beginning to see the "behaviors formerly known as 'depression'" from an evolutionary, psychoneuroimmuunology perspective. This is new for me and not well thought out or researched.

I must add that my depression was not severe when I began meds. It was a general malaise, low energy, not 'happy' but not desperately unhappy. Endocrine issues? I'll never know for sure.

Now I wonder if it was my body's self-protective mechanism - conserve energy, stay away from people, I kept motoring thru life forcing myself to be among people because that's what society says is 'normal' and healthy. If I had a fever and felt sluggish, I wouldn't pop some Tylenol then proceed w regularly scheduled life when my temp registered normal.

Interesting reading about the immune system as the sixth sense. Will post if anyone is interested.

Just thinking...

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy