SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

A new petition started calling for action on prescription drugs like antidepressants and benzodiazepines.

Vanora

I have viewed the meeting and I think it portrayed a very poor understanding of the use of antidepressants by those that claim to be the experts  , people should use the guidelines by the nhs in England on how to withdraw safely they state 2  to 4 weeks , ridiculous advice also from dr Mitchell withdrawel is mild and self limiting this man is a joke we have seen the thousands of innocent people harmed by these drugs and the damage cause by abrupt withdrawel from the medical profession . Surely they can’t keep burying their heads in the sand there was also no mention of the long term damage caused or the fact that people are left on antidepressants indefinitely, they just shut their eyes to it all , I wonder if dr Mitchell has ever taken a antidepressant I bet not 

2001 to jan 2015 Effexor 150 mg 

jan 2015 15 mg mirtazapine 20 mg quetiapine 

feb 2015 quetiapine stopped 

feb 2015 30 mg of citalopram added 

feb 2015 mirtazapine increased to 30 mg 

july 2015 citalopram stopped 

sept 2015 200mg of pregabalin 

jan 2017 mirtazapine stopped

jan 2017 20 mg fluoxetine

march 2017 all meds stopped 

13 minutes ago, Terry4949 said:

I have viewed the meeting and I think it portrayed a very poor understanding of the use of antidepressants by those that claim to be the experts  , people should use the guidelines by the nhs in England on how to withdraw safely they state 2  to 4 weeks , ridiculous advice also from dr Mitchell withdrawel is mild and self limiting this man is a joke we have seen the thousands of innocent people harmed by these drugs and the damage cause by abrupt withdrawel from the medical profession . Surely they can’t keep burying their heads in the sand there was also no mention of the long term damage caused or the fact that people are left on antidepressants indefinitely, they just shut their eyes to it all , I wonder if dr Mitchell has ever taken a antidepressant I bet not 

Thanks for the synopsis terry:) ,good on ye watching the whole thing ,I haven't the concentration .

By self limiting ,does he mean we are at fault for our own misery some how   I wonder .

Hopefully we get out of the trenches some day terry ,take care .

Alcohol free since February 2015 

1MG diazepam

4.5MG PROZAC.

3 hours ago, Terry4949 said:

I wonder if dr Mitchell has ever taken a antidepressant I bet not

Thanks also from me to for the gist of it Terry.

Guarantee mr Mitchell has never taken an ad with that nonsense. 

There maybe something he has taken though....pharma monies....any disclosed interests from him.

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

7 hours ago, nz11 said:

Thanks also from me to for the gist of it Terry.

Guarantee mr Mitchell has never taken an ad with that nonsense. 

There maybe something he has taken though....pharma monies....any disclosed interests from him.

I agree nz11 I thought the same I wonder how much they stand to loose when big pharmaceutical put there hand in their pocket , keep us quiete or else , there was no compation for us , basically if we have a problem we need to go back to our doctor and get more drugs at higher doses , no recognition of any harm how these people sleep at night is beyond me 

10 hours ago, powerback said:

Thanks for the synopsis terry:) ,good on ye watching the whole thing ,I haven't the concentration .

By self limiting ,does he mean we are at fault for our own misery some how   I wonder .

Hopefully we get out of the trenches some day terry ,take care .

I think he does mean just that powerback , we are self limiting and that all our problems stem from our own doing and that they believe the help is there by seeing your doctor and getting higher doses of medications , no mention of the fact that the drugs don’t actually work , even though some of the leading doctors submitted reports on the damage they are causing , it’s always the sufferers fault 

If you have the concentration you can read the report of first the Annette McKenzie petition re consent for mental health treatment for people under 18 and the second petition (ours) re prescribed drug dependence and withdrawal. 

https://www.parliament.scot/parliamentarybusiness/report.aspx?r=11316&mode=pdf  

Yes, all in all the Scottish Minister for Mental Health Maureen Watt and her psychiatric adviser Dr John Mitchell, displayed very little understanding of the issues around prescribed drug dependence and withdrawal. When a psychiatrist is at pains to suggest that severe antidepressant withdrawal symptoms are rare you have to wonder if this is plain ignorance or deliberate denial. At least there was an admission that there are no blood tests or brain scans to determine the cause of mental health problems. And as to whether Dr Mitchell has any ties to pharma, I have no idea. We are actually lucky to have the support of the likes of Dr Terry Lynch who apart from being a doctor and a psychotherapist is an outspoken critic of the medical model of psychiatry. Dr Mitchell told us that antidepressants don't produce tolerance but as we all know this isn't true and Dr Lynch intends to highlight this 'misinformation' by taking this up formally with the Scottish petitions committee. According to Terry SSRI tolerance has been mentioned in the medical journals for years and the medical term for drug tolerance is tachyphlaxis. We live and learn!

Although I felt that not enough of the right questions were asked there is little doubt the submissions made quite an impression on the committee members. The Convener talked about their 'significant impact' and given the distressing nature of the stories I wouldn't expect anything else. We haven't won the war but the battle continues on.    

1979 put on Clomipramine.
Failed attempt to withdraw from Clomipramine started on Seroxat 1992.
1997 Effexor replaces Seroxat after failed withdrawal.
2011 fail to withdraw from Effexor despite combined use of Prozac and Seroquel. Started on Cymbalta.
Anxiety not resolved by Cymbalta so taper off by 28th March 2012. Left on 10mg Buspirone and 1 quarter of 5mg Diazepam.
Anxiety at times very severe. 19th May take my first half of a 5mg Lamictal.

As of 5/11/2013, off all psychiatric drugs. Doing better but hope for more healing yet.

As we move to a third consideration of our petition on prescribed drug dependence at the Scottish parliament I would like to ask again if more people from here would like to make a submission detailing their problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and benzodiazepines. We need as many people as possible in order to show the magnitude of the problem and you don't have to be based in Scotland. Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you've consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. For those who feel they can't write too well, it doesn't matter. Every submission helps our cause even if it's just a few paragraphs.

To nz, did you ever receive an email from the petition clerks acknowledging your submission?  

2011 fail to withdraw from Effexor despite combined use of Prozac and Seroquel. Started on Cymbalta.
Anxiety not resolved by Cymbalta so taper off by 28th March 2012. Left on 10mg Buspirone and 1 quarter of 5mg Diazepam.

As of 5/11/2013, off all psychiatric drugs. Doing better but hope for more healing yet.

No actually I didn't maybe I will email them to day and request and acknowledgement or confirmation it was received...

later...just went off a confirmation of receipt request now...lets see if they reply

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

The same experience I made in Austria when I placed a complaint to Austrian ministery of health and a criminal complaint to the Austrian authorities that the clinical trials for Lyrica are manipulated - made by the scientists beholden + with financial interests to Pfizer. The biggest hospital here receives grants and research support from Pfizer and provides for them clinical trials for Lyrica claiming it to have "mild till none" withdrawal symptoms. 

No help. The woman was however so nice that she said I should turn to the press. I tried but 3 magazines  refused to report on "harmful medicaments + manipulated clinical studies".

Unfortunately the money comes from the other side :-)

But I admire you totally for such a good effort!  Sadly, they have lobbists directly in the parliament.

05/2013 Lyrica 100 mg / per day for pain + PGAD resulting from caesarian delivery11/2014 started to taper: 50 mg per day/ for one week then c/tafter one month reinstated at 50 mg /per days of 10 July 2015 drug free-

symptoms OCD

Thats great i will send an email with my withdrawal experience in the next 2 days.

In 2001 - started on Carbamezapine (can't remember dose), Fluoexitine 20mg, Clanozepam (low dose) after a nervous breakdown.

In 2004 - abruptly stopped carbamezapine after falling pregnant.  

In 2009 - changed from Fluoexitine to Citalopram 20mg.

In 2014 - tappered off clanozepam.

In Aug 2015 - cold turkey off Citalopram :o

From Aug - Dec 2015 I had mostly flu-like symptoms and trouble sleeping. From Jan - April 2016 Emotional nightmare ensued, paranoia, excessive anxiety and tormenting thoughts, basically trying to manage these emotions and thoughts which are exhausting.  Lots of intense emotions followed by tears, at times howling when Im alone.In March 2016 I tried Choline & Inisitol, Vit B Complex, Using Aromatherapy, like Lavendar, Clary Sage and others.

In April STOPPED Choline & Inositol as I beleive it was giving me shakes and making me more anxious.  It also made me feel like i'd taken a benzo tablet making me feel sedated.  Reading - The Body Keeps Score by Bessel Van Der Kolk (recommended by a member on this group).

Symptoms - extreme low self esteem and insecurity, intense emotions and tearfulness. This is so so hard.  But im going to keep pushing.  Feel bad for my 2 girls and husband.  I don't want to be seen in this way, especially by the girls. Self-help : praying, meditating, breathing exercises and physical exercises.

Ceterizine (antihistamine) - I've been taking this for many years now for itchiness in my palms and feet.  I take them as and when I need them. JULY 2016 Dr Bach homeopathic remedies and 'rescue remedy'

4 hours ago, nz11 said:

No actually I didn't maybe I will email them to day and request and acknowledgement or confirmation it was received...

later...just went off a confirmation of receipt request now...lets see if they reply

They've been kept very busy nz so I'm not surprised. I hope they get back to you soon.

3 hours ago, Martina23 said:

The same experience I made in Austria when I placed a complaint to Austrian ministery of health and a criminal complaint to the Austrian authorities that the clinical trials for Lyrica are manipulated - made by the scientists beholden + with financial interests to Pfizer. The biggest hospital here receives grants and research support from Pfizer and provides for them clinical trials for Lyrica claiming it to have "mild till none" withdrawal symptoms. 

No help. The woman was however so nice that she said I should turn to the press. I tried but 3 magazines  refused to report on "harmful medicaments + manipulated clinical studies".

Unfortunately the money comes from the other side :-)

But I admire you totally for such a good effort!  Sadly, they have lobbists directly in the parliament.

Thank you Martina23 it's a collective effort, all of us harmed by antidepressants and/or benzos and often much more besides. Lyrica was prescribed to me in antidepressant withdrawal, it's a terrible drug, they call it and Neurontin the new Valium and I can understand why. Pfizer was the company that paid over $2 billion in a massive fraud case back in 2009. The pharmaceutical industry seems to have a lot of influence in Scotland too Martina23, I just saw a newspaper article from 2015 - "doctors giving guidance on treatments and drugs available in Scottish hospitals and surgeries have been paid by major drug companies" and Pfizer was one of them. The whole system is rotten to the core. The Scottish government pledged to reduce the numbers of people taking antidepressants but the numbers continue to rise and I think they've since given up on the idea. Just like the benzodiazepines they don't want to admit there is a problem, they want to brush it under the carpet and there are too many vested interests at stake.

Just a thought but have you thought about starting your own petition on prescribed drug dependence and withdrawal, I'd sign and I know people in my group would do the same? 

3 hours ago, MaryDavid said:

Thats great i will send an email with my withdrawal experience in the next 2 days.

Thank you so much MaryDavid, we aim to prove to the Scottish petitions committee that we are not isolated cases so every submission helps make that point. 

9 hours ago, Vanora said:

Thank you Martina23 it's a collective effort, all of us harmed by antidepressants and/or benzos and often much more besides. Lyrica was prescribed to me in antidepressant withdrawal, it's a terrible drug, they call it and Neurontin the new Valium and I can understand why. Pfizer was the company that paid over $2 billion in a massive fraud case back in 2009. The pharmaceutical industry seems to have a lot of influence in Scotland too Martina23, I just saw a newspaper article from 2015 - "doctors giving guidance on treatments and drugs available in Scottish hospitals and surgeries have been paid by major drug companies" and Pfizer was one of them. The whole system is rotten to the core. The Scottish government pledged to reduce the numbers of people taking antidepressants but the numbers continue to rise and I think they've since given up on the idea. Just like the benzodiazepines they don't want to admit there is a problem, they want to brush it under the carpet and there are too many vested interests at stake.

Just a thought but have you thought about starting your own petition on prescribed drug dependence and withdrawal, I'd sign and I know people in my group would do the same? 

Vanora, I called today to Austrian parliament to get to know how the system with petitions function here.

They said first possibility is to turn to "Bereichsprecher" - to a parliament member for that field who is chosen to speak with the public. I can write there. For this I dont need signatures.

The petition to Austrian parliament in general is a problem - as they said there must be 500 signatures but only from Austrian citizens, not international. So I would have to go to the streets. I am also not a native Austrian so I would have to give it to some friend to fill out & submit the petition.

There is then the petition to European Commission which is for the people in EU - if someone is willing I would participate for Austria (or maybe for Czech or Slovakia).

By these international petitions  I dont know if they are really taken into account because there is no responsible government for all of these people.

I thought I might write to all attorney generals in US about the issue.

Is there any other possibility about the petition? I was surprised that by Scottish parliament the signatures of international people were accepted. Here the woman says for Austrian parliament these must be Austrians.

05/2013 Lyrica 100 mg / per day for pain + PGAD resulting from caesarian delivery11/2014 started to taper: 50 mg per day/ for one week then c/tafter one month reinstated at 50 mg /per days of 10 July 2015 drug free-

symptoms OCD

9 hours ago, Martina23 said:

Vanora, I called today to Austrian parliament to get to know how the system with petitions function here.

They said first possibility is to turn to "Bereichsprecher" - to a parliament member for that field who is chosen to speak with the public. I can write there. For this I dont need signatures.

The petition to Austrian parliament in general is a problem - as they said there must be 500 signatures but only from Austrian citizens, not international. So I would have to go to the streets. I am also not a native Austrian so I would have to give it to some friend to fill out & submit the petition.

There is then the petition to European Commission which is for the people in EU - if someone is willing I would participate for Austria (or maybe for Czech or Slovakia).

By these international petitions  I dont know if they are really taken into account because there is no responsible government for all of these people.

I thought I might write to all attorney generals in US about the issue.

Is there any other possibility about the petition? I was surprised that by Scottish parliament the signatures of international people were accepted. Here the woman says for Austrian parliament these must be Austrians.

I feel for you Martina, you don't seem to have many options. How would you go about getting 500 Austrian citizens to support you and I hadn't thought about the EU, I really don't know enough about it. As you say who exactly would take responsibility and how would it all work? Would there be the numbers, the knowledge and the will in the various EU countries?  That's a tough one though I wish you the best of luck writing to the attorney generals in the States.

As for our petition here in Scotland, the petitions committee will meet again some time in mid February. It would be a great help to us - and I thank everyone who has already contributed or intend to contribute - if as many people as possible could write in and share their experiences of antidepressants and benzodiazepines. We have to show the Scottish government we are far from being a minority.     

Hi Varona, im sharing the email i sent to the scottish parliament today.  Will let you know what response I get.

Dear Petitions team

I am a member of the ‘surviving antidepressants online group’.

I have written an honest account of a summarised journey on my experience with antidepressants and mood stabilisers for over 14- 17 years.

Year : 2000

Diagnosis : Bi-polar Disorder

Clinical Depression

Reason for diagnosis : Poor mood, sadness, crying, low esteem, anxiety,

attempted suicide, obsessiveness

Prescribed Medication : Carbamazepine - 200mg (daily)

Clonazepam - 0.25mg (daily)

Fluoxetine - 20mg (daily)

Possible benefit : Less anxiety

More positive outlook on life

Experienced side effects : Lack of empathy

Muted emotions

Feeling distant

No interest in intimacy

Year : 2004

Stopped Medication : Carbamazepine - 200mg

Reason : Psychiatrist advised to stop immediately

due to pregnancy

Withdrawal : Extreme behaviour change

Extreme mood swings

Unreasonable demands to family

& work

Out of character behaviour

Almost lost my job due to these withdrawal

symptoms

Year : 2007/2008

Tapered off Medication : Fluoxetine 20mg

Clonazepam 0.25mg

Type of Taper : Quick taper over 6 weeks

Withdrawal : Crying at least 20 hours per day

: Extreme fear & anxiety

: Extreme low mood

: Extreme sadness

: Childlike behaviour

: Unable to cope with day to day living

: Felt dead inside

: Felt it was better to die than live

: Unable to look after child

: Resigned from work, could not cope

: Marriage suffered

Therapy : Daily hospital visits in psychiatric day unit for

activities

Reinstated medication : 6 months after tapering

Medication : Fluoxetine 20mg

: Clonazepam 0.25mg

Recovery : 7 months after reinstating was able to function

normally again

Year : 2009

Medication change : Consultant changed medication from

Fluoxetine 20mg to Citalopram 20mg

Withdrawal : Out of character behaviour

Extreme mood swings

It felt like i could not deal

with everyday life

Unable to manage emotions

Recovery : 8 months

Prescribed : Citalopram 20mg

Clonazepam 0.25mg

Year : 2014

Tapered off medication : Clonazepam 0.25mg

Type of taper : Quick taper over 2 weeks

Withdrawal : Extreme solemn mood

Blank

Recovery : 6 months

Year : July 2015

Tapered off medication : Citalopram 20mg

Type of taper : Quick taper over 3 weeks

Withdrawal : Noticeable withdrawal symptoms began about

6 months after taper

Extreme low self esteem

Terrible angry outbursts

Severe reactions to daily life

Tormenting irrational/obsessive thoughts

Debilitating fear & anxiety

Internalised panic attacks

Crying for up to 5 hours a day for over a year

Afraid to go outside

Severe mood swings

Extreme obssessiveness over daily life

Dark negative constant thoughts

Unreasonable thoughts

Reliving past experiences & believing

they were actually happening now

PTSD

Brain fog

Sleepless nights with tormenting thoughts

Restlessness

Flight or fight responses in total chaos

Imagining things to have happened that did

not happen

Relentless negative thoughts

Quit volunteering work

Therapy : Came across ‘surviving antidepressants’ group

in my despair for help

Counselling via GP

Attended a ‘mind’ course

Spent so much money on trying different

vitamin supplements and natural remedies

Recovery : 70% improved since stopping the medication

2.5years ago

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my summarised journey.  Hopefully, like cancer, mental health research, will be continuous.  We would love for the medical profession to hear us and believe us when we say that we are no longer depressed or anxious; that when we stop the medication, taper or cut down we face the onslaught of withdrawal, just like any other mind altering drug or vice.  We would love more honesty and transparency in the mental health profession and pharmaceutical industry.  

The surviving antidepressants group has been an oasis for me.

We would love for practitioners, scientists and pharmaceuticals to re-engage and tackle what so many of us have been saying; we are going through hell when we stop the medications.

Personally, I feel, that when we cannot cope with life, in most cases, I don’t believe a pill is the answer.   

Thank you & kind regards

Mary

In 2001 - started on Carbamezapine (can't remember dose), Fluoexitine 20mg, Clanozepam (low dose) after a nervous breakdown.

From Aug - Dec 2015 I had mostly flu-like symptoms and trouble sleeping. From Jan - April 2016 Emotional nightmare ensued, paranoia, excessive anxiety and tormenting thoughts, basically trying to manage these emotions and thoughts which are exhausting.  Lots of intense emotions followed by tears, at times howling when Im alone.In March 2016 I tried Choline & Inisitol, Vit B Complex, Using Aromatherapy, like Lavendar, Clary Sage and others.

In April STOPPED Choline & Inositol as I beleive it was giving me shakes and making me more anxious.  It also made me feel like i'd taken a benzo tablet making me feel sedated.  Reading - The Body Keeps Score by Bessel Van Der Kolk (recommended by a member on this group).

Symptoms - extreme low self esteem and insecurity, intense emotions and tearfulness. This is so so hard.  But im going to keep pushing.  Feel bad for my 2 girls and husband.  I don't want to be seen in this way, especially by the girls. Self-help : praying, meditating, breathing exercises and physical exercises.

Ceterizine (antihistamine) - I've been taking this for many years now for itchiness in my palms and feet.  I take them as and when I need them. JULY 2016 Dr Bach homeopathic remedies and 'rescue remedy'

MD well done.

I like how you say "quick taper over.." to emphasize a quick taper as there may be people who incorrectly  argue that's a slow taper.

Recovering paxil addict

11 hours ago, MaryDavid said:

Hi Varona, im sharing the email i sent to the scottish parliament today.  Will let you know what response I get.

Dear Petitions team

I am a member of the ‘surviving antidepressants online group’.

I have written an honest account of a summarised journey on my experience with antidepressants and mood stabilisers for over 14- 17 years.

Year : 2000

Diagnosis : Bi-polar Disorder

Clinical Depression

Reason for diagnosis : Poor mood, sadness, crying, low esteem, anxiety,

attempted suicide, obsessiveness

Prescribed Medication : Carbamazepine - 200mg (daily)

Clonazepam - 0.25mg (daily)

Fluoxetine - 20mg (daily)

Possible benefit : Less anxiety

More positive outlook on life

Experienced side effects : Lack of empathy

Muted emotions

Feeling distant

No interest in intimacy

Year : 2004

Stopped Medication : Carbamazepine - 200mg

Reason : Psychiatrist advised to stop immediately

due to pregnancy

Withdrawal : Extreme behaviour change

Extreme mood swings

Unreasonable demands to family

& work

Almost lost my job due to these withdrawal

symptoms

Year : 2007/2008

Tapered off Medication : Fluoxetine 20mg

Clonazepam 0.25mg

Type of Taper : Quick taper over 6 weeks

Withdrawal : Crying at least 20 hours per day

: Extreme fear & anxiety

: Extreme low mood

: Extreme sadness

: Childlike behaviour

: Unable to cope with day to day living

: Felt dead inside

: Felt it was better to die than live

: Unable to look after child

: Resigned from work, could not cope

: Marriage suffered

Therapy : Daily hospital visits in psychiatric day unit for

activities

Reinstated medication : 6 months after tapering

Medication : Fluoxetine 20mg

: Clonazepam 0.25mg

Recovery : 7 months after reinstating was able to function

normally again

Year : 2009

Medication change : Consultant changed medication from

Fluoxetine 20mg to Citalopram 20mg

Withdrawal : Out of character behaviour

Extreme mood swings

It felt like i could not deal

with everyday life

Unable to manage emotions

Recovery : 8 months

Prescribed : Citalopram 20mg

Clonazepam 0.25mg

Year : 2014

Tapered off medication : Clonazepam 0.25mg

Type of taper : Quick taper over 2 weeks

Withdrawal : Extreme solemn mood

Blank

Recovery : 6 months

Year : July 2015

Tapered off medication : Citalopram 20mg

Type of taper : Quick taper over 3 weeks

Withdrawal : Noticeable withdrawal symptoms began about

6 months after taper

Extreme low self esteem

Terrible angry outbursts

Severe reactions to daily life

Tormenting irrational/obsessive thoughts

Debilitating fear & anxiety

Internalised panic attacks

Crying for up to 5 hours a day for over a year

Afraid to go outside

Severe mood swings

Extreme obssessiveness over daily life

Dark negative constant thoughts

Unreasonable thoughts

Reliving past experiences & believing

they were actually happening now

PTSD

Brain fog

Sleepless nights with tormenting thoughts

Restlessness

Flight or fight responses in total chaos

Imagining things to have happened that did

not happen

Relentless negative thoughts

Quit volunteering work

Therapy : Came across ‘surviving antidepressants’ group

in my despair for help

Counselling via GP

Attended a ‘mind’ course

Spent so much money on trying different

vitamin supplements and natural remedies

Recovery : 70% improved since stopping the medication

2.5years ago

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my summarised journey.  Hopefully, like cancer, mental health research, will be continuous.  We would love for the medical profession to hear us and believe us when we say that we are no longer depressed or anxious; that when we stop the medication, taper or cut down we face the onslaught of withdrawal, just like any other mind altering drug or vice.  We would love more honesty and transparency in the mental health profession and pharmaceutical industry.  

The surviving antidepressants group has been an oasis for me.

We would love for practitioners, scientists and pharmaceuticals to re-engage and tackle what so many of us have been saying; we are going through hell when we stop the medications.

Personally, I feel, that when we cannot cope with life, in most cases, I don’t believe a pill is the answer.   

Thank you & kind regards

Mary

Thank you MaryDavid for taking the time to write your submission, I do appreciate it. Gosh, a story of rapid successive withdrawals, how are you still in one piece?! Our campaign group very much want services to help guide people off these drugs safely but we have serious misgivings about the current inadequate tapering advice, that's why we feel they have to listen to the experiences of people like you and me. I couldn't ever place myself in the hands of any kind of mental health professional ever again, the psychiatric diagnostic system has been entirely discredited in my eyes not least because of it's links to big pharma. I hope you have more improvement to come MaryDavid. Thank you again.  

13 hours ago, nz11 said:

MD well done.

I like how you say "quick taper over.." to emphasize a quick taper as there may be people who incorrectly  argue that's a slow taper.

nz11  lol..i didn't even realise that.  True, I hope they will hear our cry!!!

12 hours ago, Vanora said:

Thank you MaryDavid for taking the time to write your submission, I do appreciate it. Gosh, a story of rapid successive withdrawals, how are you still in one piece?! Our campaign group very much want services to help guide people off these drugs safely but we have serious misgivings about the current inadequate tapering advice, that's why we feel they have to listen to the experiences of people like you and me. I couldn't ever place myself in the hands of any kind of mental health professional ever again, the psychiatric diagnostic system has been entirely discredited in my eyes not least because of it's links to big pharma. I hope you have more improvement to come MaryDavid. Thank you again.  

Yes, lol, a very rapid withdrawal process.  I certainly wish i had come across this site before doing what i did. 

It would be so good if someone had a heart for what we are trying to tell psychiatrists, doctors and pharma.   

Any change of going on fb with a petition, unless i missed it?

Thank you for all you are doing to get this out there.

9 hours ago, MaryDavid said:

Yes, lol, a very rapid withdrawal process.  I certainly wish i had come across this site before doing what i did. 

It would be so good if someone had a heart for what we are trying to tell psychiatrists, doctors and pharma.   

Any change of going on fb with a petition, unless i missed it?

Thank you for all you are doing to get this out there.

The people behind the Scottish and Welsh petitions belong to the FB group Prescribed Harm UK MaryDavid, it's for those of us damaged by antidepressants, benzos and opioids. It's a closed group but you would be very welcome to join us.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1355825997770543/  

On 24/01/2018 at 11:38 PM, Vanora said:

The people behind the Scottish and Welsh petitions belong to the FB group Prescribed Harm UK MaryDavid, it's for those of us damaged by antidepressants, benzos and opioids. It's a closed group but you would be very welcome to join us.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1355825997770543/  

Thanks Varona, ive joined thefacebook group and have sent something to the Guardian too.  Don't know if they will publish.  There seems to be a momentum at the moment.  Really hope its not in vain.

Realised a typo, I wrote 'cried for up 20 hours a day'; it should read up to 2-9 hrs a day.

Great to have you as part of PHUK (Prescribed Harm UK),  and thank you for writing to the Guardian I hope they publish. Yes, things seem to be moving in our direction MaryDavid, it's about high time. As for your typo you could try asking them to amend your submission, just send them an email.

In case people have missed this I'd like to ask again if any of you might want to submit something for our petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos. Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you one and all.  

Hey Vanora , I feel like more people should be writing in to this petition.  I think everyone on the forum who is able to. Is there anyway to promote it more on the forum? I know you are very active and it's admirable from a far. 

Also I was curious what does a maximum of 3 sides mean ? I will write in a brief report . 

Do I just send an email to the address and quote the number in the heading ? 

Was on 30mg (Lexapro) for 7-8yrs20mg for 3 months (This was my choice my Doc wanted me to drop much faster)15 mg 2week10mg 2 weeks 5 mg 1 week0 since August 24th . PPI Dexlant  30 mg taper has begun. Cutting 20% currently.  using zantac as needed.  Benzo is currently 0.10mg 

Hi Mort81,  nz11 has very kindly posted about our petition in the introductions section because you are right we need to promote this as widely as possible on the forum. Apart from that I'm not sure what else can be done though I'm hoping that by word of mouth people will get to hear about it. If you are on any other forums you could help spread the word that way, our members use the likes of Facebook and twitter. Please do what you can, I'd be grateful.

A4 refers to the size of paper which is a rough guide as to how long your submission ought to be, offhand I can't recall how many words but I understand that in the USA the paper is slightly smaller and you would need to aim for about 2.5 pages. Yes, all you have to do is email your submission and quote the petition number PE01651 in the heading. I hope I've cleared up some things for you Mort81 but if you have any further queries let me know. Thank you for taking the time to support our petition. 

Thank you Vanora you have cleared it up for me :) I will have a submission shortly . You are doing a great job advocating.  Much respect 

Mort 

Was on 30mg (Lexapro) for 7-8yrs20mg for 3 months (This was my choice my Doc wanted me to drop much faster)15 mg 2week10mg 2 weeks 5 mg 1 week0 since August 24th . PPI Dexlant  30 mg taper has begun. Cutting 20% currently.  using zantac as needed.  Benzo is currently 0.10mg 

Done ! 

5 hours ago, Mort81 said:

Done ! 

Thank you Mort81, that's wonderful!   🙂

The momentum continues. We've had a mention on the RxISK website.

https://rxisk.org/psychotropic-drug-dependence-in-scotland-petition-pe01651/   Love it!

Taken from Vanoras link above to the rxisk site.

I wanted to let you know that our Scottish petition seems to be gathering a very remarkable and powerful collection of published ‘evidence’ of patient experiences especially – and from all over the world.

:)

Recovering paxil addict

Another quote from the RxISK website:

"If anyone has any brainwaves in resect of this petition - ways to expose Scottish ministers and their advisers to the horrors of PSSD or PGAD - we'd love to hear them." 

If you have got some ideas on this please contact the RxISK site or post here.

• 3 weeks later...

UK members. Sky News tapering video diary.

Hi, Just in from Tabitha Dow who was recently interviewed by Sky News.

If you are in the UK, Sky news is looking for someone who is just starting to taper and would like them to do a video diary of how you get on.

If you are interested I can get more info

4 hours ago, MaryDavid said:

UK members. Sky News tapering video diary.

Hi, Just in from Tabitha Dow who was recently interviewed by Sky News.

If you are in the UK, Sky news is looking for someone who is just starting to taper and would like them to do a video diary of how you get on.

If you are interested I can get more info

Great idea but you might get more interest by starting a new thread MaryDavid. 

4 hours ago, Vanora said:

Great idea but you might get more interest by starting a new thread MaryDavid. 

Thanks Vanora, I have started a new one.