SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Hi penny, can you give me more details on your environmental illness's please. Like, what did you suffer from? How bad, what did you do to help it etc? 

Intro - 

• On Paroxetine (Paxil / Seroxat) 20mg since 1999 (age 18). Tapered off over 8 weeks on Dr's advice 2016 - Crashed massively (acute withdrawal) September '16 and reinstated on doc's advice. Found this site and started getting real answers! Currently doing a very slow withdrawal. 

Taper progress - 

• September '16 - 40mg / December'16 - 30mg / Feb '17 - 20 mg / March '17 - 18mg / April '17 - 15mg - became paranoid / May '17-  upped dose to 20mg (kindled - developed chemical sensitivities and neuropathy in legs). 2 month hold. July '17 - 19.5mg / Aug'17 - 18.5mgSept '17 - 17.5mg / October '17 - 17mg / Nov '17 - 16mg / Dec '17 - 15.5mg / Jan '18 - hold / Feb '18 - 14.5mg / April '18 - 13mg / June '18 - 11.5mg / Aug '18 - 10mg (half way hold of approx 2 months) / Nov '18 - 9mg / Dec '18 - 8mg. (tapering too fast, having anxiety / paranoia, so having a 6 week extra hold) / April 19 - still holding at approx 7.5mg

Points of interest - 

• Average seroxat 20mg pill weights 0.355g 
  • Using AWS Gemini 20 scales (seem reasonable for about £20)

Also Penny, I too was put on this poison as a teenager at the advice of my parents. Out relationship has been great all through my life. However, now I know the damage this drug has caused Im really struggling not to shout at them "WTF were you thinking!!! you've ruined my life you dumb Bas$ards". I am also suffering PTSD about this aspect now, and wondered if you had any advice or anything? Anyway, I hope your doing well and getting better each day. 

Intro - 

• On Paroxetine (Paxil / Seroxat) 20mg since 1999 (age 18). Tapered off over 8 weeks on Dr's advice 2016 - Crashed massively (acute withdrawal) September '16 and reinstated on doc's advice. Found this site and started getting real answers! Currently doing a very slow withdrawal. 

Taper progress - 

• September '16 - 40mg / December'16 - 30mg / Feb '17 - 20 mg / March '17 - 18mg / April '17 - 15mg - became paranoid / May '17-  upped dose to 20mg (kindled - developed chemical sensitivities and neuropathy in legs). 2 month hold. July '17 - 19.5mg / Aug'17 - 18.5mgSept '17 - 17.5mg / October '17 - 17mg / Nov '17 - 16mg / Dec '17 - 15.5mg / Jan '18 - hold / Feb '18 - 14.5mg / April '18 - 13mg / June '18 - 11.5mg / Aug '18 - 10mg (half way hold of approx 2 months) / Nov '18 - 9mg / Dec '18 - 8mg. (tapering too fast, having anxiety / paranoia, so having a 6 week extra hold) / April 19 - still holding at approx 7.5mg

Points of interest - 

• Average seroxat 20mg pill weights 0.355g 
  • Using AWS Gemini 20 scales (seem reasonable for about £20)

• 3 months later...
On 2017-04-20 at 11:51 PM, Distraut said:

Tootsieroll, that is SO reassuring to hear!  Thank you for giving me hope that this will clear with time!

How long did it continue for you?  Did it gradually diminish?  How do you test for cortisol levels?

Sorry for all the questions, but any information you could give me about this horrible affliction would be most welcome.  I hate to see him suffer like this.

I have struggled with OCD it is horrible. Exposure and Response Therapy was very helpful. Guided meditation is fantastic. I would find one on youtube, lay in bed and just listen. Another thing is to find a hobby that uses both sides of the brain. Something that you can't think about OCD while doing. Cross stitching worked well for me because I had to focus and count stitches.

• 1 month later...

In response to everyone's questions about my physical condition.  I am actually finding out that antidepressants act as anti-histamines and change the gut lining by lowering histamine response and producing DAO (daimine oxidase).  When we come off SSRI's most of us experience brain fog due to us not producing our own DAO for years and years.  Therefore we get cloudy or foggy/allergic reactions to things that we normally never had prior.  (Hence people developing food intolerances, acne, IBS after coming off meds) Healing the body of histamine intolerance is actually healing the damage done by SSRI's.  It's one piece of the puzzle.  And has been the biggest one for me as my physical body continues to heal itself with my lifestyle changes and diet.  I am now 6.5 years off of these meds <3  And I still am learning things as I go!

Hi Pennylane, I want to ask you something.

So, antihistamines can help us to heal, or at least to better cope with the symptoms of withdrawal? Is this a correct deduction? or is it ... silly? :wacko:

Since JUN 2016: Sertraline. Took for 1 year, reduced & removed from 100 mg in 2 months. OFF Sertraline since 11 AUG 2017

-OCT and NOV 2017: Hipericum-St.Johns Worth

-25 DEC 2017: took sertraline 1 pill 50 mg

-Since end DEC 2017: Diazepam 5 mg. Reduced gradually. OFF Diazepam since 30 MAR 2018. 

-Since end DEC 2017: magnesium, omega3. 

1 hour ago, Pennylane34 said:

In response to everyone's questions about my physical condition.  I am actually finding out that antidepressants act as anti-histamines and change the gut lining by lowering histamine response and producing DAO (daimine oxidase).  When we come off SSRI's most of us experience brain fog due to us not producing our own DAO for years and years.  Therefore we get cloudy or foggy/allergic reactions to things that we normally never had prior.  (Hence people developing food intolerances, acne, IBS after coming off meds) Healing the body of histamine intolerance is actually healing the damage done by SSRI's.  It's one piece of the puzzle.  And has been the biggest one for me as my physical body continues to heal itself with my lifestyle changes and diet.  I am now 6.5 years off of these meds <3  And I still am learning things as I go!

I've found the histamine connection to be a very essential piece in the healing process as well. Eating a low histamine diet, as well as some supportive supplements (Vit C, Quercetin, Tart Cherry, probiotic) have been very helpful. Are you willing to share what you're doing to try and heal the histamine intolerance? For me, things are much better than they were. But I completely stay away from high histamine foods and only do a few things once in awhile such as dairy or gluten. Medication, acupuncture and other natural treatments are supportive too...but I'm still dealing with it 3 1/2 years later.

Remeron for depression. Started at 7.5 mg. in 2005. Gradual increases over 8 years, up to 45 mg. in 2012.Began tapering in June 2013. Went from 45 to 30 mg in the first 3-4 months. Held for a couple of months.Started tapering by 3.75 mg every month or 2, with some longer holding periods. Eventually went down to 3.75 mg. about April 2014. Stopped taking Remeron August 2014. Developed issues with histamine a week after stopping--symptoms reduced through diet and a few supplements. Currently having issues with a few foods. Most of the histamine intolerance has resolved or is at least, in remission.

Current Medications:

Current Supplements: Cannabis (CBD and THC), Vitamin C, D, Quercetin, CoQ10, Tart Cherry, Probiotic, Phytoplankton oil, magnesium, Methyl B. What has helped me most: spending time in nature, qi gong, exercise, healthy diet, meditation, IV vitamins, homeopathy, massage, acupuncture, chiropractic, music, and cuddling my cats..

My introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/8459-mirtazapine-withdrawal-freespirit/#entry144282

Please note: I am not a therapist or medical practitioner. Any suggestions offered come solely from my personal experience in recovering from childhood trauma, therapy, and AD use. Please seek appropriate care for yourself.

“After a cruel childhood, one must reinvent oneself. Then re-imagine the world.”
Mary Oliver

1 hour ago, musk said:

So, antihistamines can help us to heal, or at least to better cope with the symptoms of withdrawal? Is this a correct deduction? or is it ... silly? :wacko:

Antihistamines further deplete the DAO, so it is not a good solution for healing. "You would think that histamine blockers would help, but in reality they can deplete the DAO enzyme leaving you with only the option to take antihistamines for the rest of your life." http://drhoustonanderson.com/histamine-intolerance/

I found antihistamines gave a horrible rebound effect--both physically and emotionally. Others may have other experiences or opinions, but trying to heal by using another drug isn't the way I'd go.

Remeron for depression. Started at 7.5 mg. in 2005. Gradual increases over 8 years, up to 45 mg. in 2012.Began tapering in June 2013. Went from 45 to 30 mg in the first 3-4 months. Held for a couple of months.Started tapering by 3.75 mg every month or 2, with some longer holding periods. Eventually went down to 3.75 mg. about April 2014. Stopped taking Remeron August 2014. Developed issues with histamine a week after stopping--symptoms reduced through diet and a few supplements. Currently having issues with a few foods. Most of the histamine intolerance has resolved or is at least, in remission.

Current Medications:

Current Supplements: Cannabis (CBD and THC), Vitamin C, D, Quercetin, CoQ10, Tart Cherry, Probiotic, Phytoplankton oil, magnesium, Methyl B. What has helped me most: spending time in nature, qi gong, exercise, healthy diet, meditation, IV vitamins, homeopathy, massage, acupuncture, chiropractic, music, and cuddling my cats..

My introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/8459-mirtazapine-withdrawal-freespirit/#entry144282

Please note: I am not a therapist or medical practitioner. Any suggestions offered come solely from my personal experience in recovering from childhood trauma, therapy, and AD use. Please seek appropriate care for yourself.

“After a cruel childhood, one must reinvent oneself. Then re-imagine the world.”
Mary Oliver

• 1 month later...
On 12/04/2017 at 10:08 PM, Pennylane34 said:

Hi all!

Just wanted to check in here and say hello to everyone- new and old!  I am an older member of the old group back on Paxil Progress and I decided to come on here and share my story since I haven't been on in quite a few years.

Anyhow- I hope this provides you all with HOPE.  As I know in the beginning/throws of my withdrawal journey- HOPE-from the stories of others are the only things that kept me going some days.

So to provide you with some background- I was always a rambunctious, vivacious, fun loving personality- with a tendency to be a little anxious-with mild OCD- and sometimes even a little depressed.  But looking back now- I think a lot of that could've been chalked up to nutritional allergies, deficiencies and just overall bad sleep/lifestyle habits.  Hindsight is definitely 20/20.  However back in 1999, when I was 13- my parents decided to put me on Zoloft, which was a new drug on the market back then.  I immediately was calmer, sleepier and somewhat content with everything and everyone around me.  Then from there I went on to Lexapro, then Celexa then ultimately Prozac.  This continued for about 12 years.  Then at around the age of 25 (after multiple brief failed attempts to quit SSRI's)  I just decided it was 'time.'  The years I was on SSRI's I was happy, content and sleepy.  ALL THE TIME.  Most people would say "well what's wrong with that?"  I guess a small part of my soul longed for a life that had a full range of emotions and an appreciation for the ups and downs in life that force us to grow as people.  I was ready to look beyond my protective shield of antidepressants and face the world head on.  And I knew this was going to be a long road and a process but I knew I had to do it- there was no looking back.

October 2011 is when I took my last dose of Prozac-  I felt fine for about a week or so following that.  And then BAM.  I was hit with 24/7 brain fog, EXTREME anxiety, suicidal depression, allergies, insomnia, headaches, fatigue, bloating, adrenal/thyroid dysfunction, low grade fever, hair loss and OCD. 

I was literally clinging to the thought that 'this will get better, it's just drug withdrawal' for the first three months - changing everything about my life to help me- my diet, my sleeping habits, getting a less stressful job, etc etc.  But withdrawal was like a black cloak around me back in those days- it was complete misery and I was so hopeless and helpless back then- NOBODY- and I mean NOBODY understood other than the folks in these forums.

In early 2012 I linked up with a TCM doctor and he got me on a regime of vitamins, supplements, Chinese herbs and Bach Flower essences- this did very little at the time- but I clung to the little it did do as hope that underneath all this muck- I could be a 'normal' person one day.  I struggled on...

Later in 2012 I was introduced to acupuncture- that brought another glimmer of hope into my life and pushed me a little bit further along.  I was still underwater- but I was now starting to swim to the surface.

In early 2013- I linked up with a homeopath and she took my case and I worked with her consistently for about 2 solid years after that until mid- 2015.

Around late 2014/early 2015 I started to realize that I was not needing all these 'interventions' as often as I did in the beginning of my journey.  I could go months and months without any acupuncture or homeopathy or even a vitamin supplement and feel FINE.

It was GREAT!

Nowadays,  I am fairly 'normal.'  I have more good days than bad days.  However though- even though my emotional/mental capacities returned- my physical body never fully recovered.

I have chronic fatigue/adrenal/thyroid dysfunction.  I have pretty serious food/environmental allergies that forces me to have to be EXTREMELY diligent with my diet or else I suffer bad reactions.  I am HYPERSENSITIVE to vitamins, supplements, caffeine, alcohol, you name it, etc etc etc.  This is all in direct correlation to my coming off of SSRI's.  So it's not all roses- but- I do have hope that sometime in the future these will become less bothersome and hopefully dissipate with time.  Only time will tell though.

Anyhow, I just wanted to share my experience and recovery - as my journey may look different from yours- we are all trying to reach the same goal in the end!  

To be happy and healthy!

All the best now and in the future!

Penny

Hi Penny, it seems that lots of people on Prozac seem to have the reactions to meds, supplements and foods. I'm 2 years nearly off prozac and can't tolerate any meds or supplements which is very scary. I also started having reactions while on the drug and that's why I came off but I really regret it as my anxiety and stress levels are off the scale still at this length of time off. I don't feel I will ever recover. Glad you are doing well 😊

Prozac for 18years with break in 1999 for pregnancy. Started to feel unwell with numerous problems 2015 and think I was in a tolerance to drug. Started to come off May 2016 and by June 2016 wasn't able to tolerate any medications at all. Was on Lansoprazole as and when need from 2001 but haven't had to take and wldnt have been able to take since June 2016

GP gave sertraline 25mg 6/04/17 loss of appetite, gut pain and then following morning whole body shaking and vomiting. Stopped tablet.

• 1 month later...
On 4/20/2017 at 8:46 PM, Tootsieroll said:

Sorry if I am hijacking this thread but I just wanted to say that OCD was my nemesis during my whole process.  Mine were both mental and physical compulsions so the only way I could believe the improvements was to see the physical improve with time.  When I cold turkeyed each time, my OCD would skyrocket off the charts and it lead to a lot of anxiety and amplify all the other symptoms when I couldn't stop the repetitive thinking/actions.  Well, I'm here to say it does end and it does abate as one heals.  I am a bit of a perfectionist and that will always be with me but the OCD that was experienced during the chemical detox/withdrawal was unreal.  I couldn't believe a mind could work in such a broken record way.  Now I know it can, only because I experienced it and I also know that it does get better...because of where I am today.  What helped me was getting my cortisol tested and once I found out it was high, I used Relora to continuously stabilize it.  It didn't completely eliminate the OCD like time did, but it sure did help during the rough moments.  I wish your son a speedy recovery.

tootsieroll,

This is my worst symptom as well, and I never had it until I started going on and off SSRI's cold turkey. How long did it take before the OCD abated for you? How much Relora did you take? Did you take it regularly? My ocd is in the form of scary harm intrusive thoughts. Its the worst thing in the world. 

med history: 17 years total

Concerta: 2 yrs - cold turkey, brought on first "depression" 

Short trials of Zoloft and Effexor: 1-3 years - multiple cold turkey's brought on OCD intrusive thoughts for the first time

Lexapro 15-20 mg (16 yrs)  - tried to quit once, cold turkey, worst WD ever, had to go on to 20mg to stop WD

Welbutrin 150mg (8-ish yrs) NO w/d symptoms from CT

Adderall 5-7.5mg (8-10-ish yrs) quit CT, brought on many WD symptoms, but manageable. 

Begin taper March 2018 Currently on 4.4 mg lexapro - down from 20mg

Symptoms depression, horrible intrusive thoughts and urges, new onset PMS/PMDD, constant extreme irritation and anger, visual hallucinations, irrational thinking patterns, panic, nausea, dizzy, intolerance to working out, chemical sensitivities, noise sensitivities, memory issues, heart palps, etc. 

On 2/16/2018 at 12:15 PM, freespirit said:

I've found the histamine connection to be a very essential piece in the healing process as well. Eating a low histamine diet, as well as some supportive supplements (Vit C, Quercetin, Tart Cherry, probiotic) have been very helpful. Are you willing to share what you're doing to try and heal the histamine intolerance? For me, things are much better than they were. But I completely stay away from high histamine foods and only do a few things once in awhile such as dairy or gluten. Medication, acupuncture and other natural treatments are supportive too...but I'm still dealing with it 3 1/2 years later.

Hi freespirit,

how are you doing now with the histamine intolerance? Any more advice you found helpful on healing this aspect? I also see that you used quite a few supplements, and especially CBD oil. Were you ever sensitive to supplements? When were you able to start inocorporating these? Especially CBD oil.. in what way is this helpful for you? You never had reactions to it? I feel that I was reacting negatively to it, but then again, it could have just been withdrawls. I am also one person that can't even take probiotics without reacting. UGGGHHHHHH!

med history: 17 years total

Concerta: 2 yrs - cold turkey, brought on first "depression" 

Short trials of Zoloft and Effexor: 1-3 years - multiple cold turkey's brought on OCD intrusive thoughts for the first time

Lexapro 15-20 mg (16 yrs)  - tried to quit once, cold turkey, worst WD ever, had to go on to 20mg to stop WD

Welbutrin 150mg (8-ish yrs) NO w/d symptoms from CT

Adderall 5-7.5mg (8-10-ish yrs) quit CT, brought on many WD symptoms, but manageable. 

Begin taper March 2018 Currently on 4.4 mg lexapro - down from 20mg

Symptoms depression, horrible intrusive thoughts and urges, new onset PMS/PMDD, constant extreme irritation and anger, visual hallucinations, irrational thinking patterns, panic, nausea, dizzy, intolerance to working out, chemical sensitivities, noise sensitivities, memory issues, heart palps, etc. 

39 minutes ago, Peachy said:

Hi freespirit,

how are you doing now with the histamine intolerance? Any more advice you found helpful on healing this aspect? I also see that you used quite a few supplements, and especially CBD oil. Were you ever sensitive to supplements? When were you able to start inocorporating these? Especially CBD oil.. in what way is this helpful for you? You never had reactions to it? I feel that I was reacting negatively to it, but then again, it could have just been withdrawls. I am also one person that can't even take probiotics without reacting. UGGGHHHHHH!

I also had a terrible reaction to Cbd and probiotic supplements.

2005-2015 sertaline, 2015 to November 2018 escatalopram. Used liquid titration to drop doses. By 0.5mg at first then drops as small as 0.01mg at end of taper. Jumped of at 0.02mg

1 hour ago, Peachy said:

tootsieroll,

This is my worst symptom as well, and I never had it until I started going on and off SSRI's cold turkey. How long did it take before the OCD abated for you? How much Relora did you take? Did you take it regularly? My ocd is in the form of scary harm intrusive thoughts. Its the worst thing in the world. 

I'm 4 years out and there's still a touch of OCD with me today but it is bearable unlike those horrendous acute days initially.  But I went through a benzo withdrawal after my taper off SSRIs so that tacked on another couple of years of healing for me.  If you are doing a straight forward taper than you can possibly heal quicker.  Keep in mind that it wasn't OCD all day every day.  It fluctuated. And even though healing isn't linear there were days where it wasn't as bothersome and gradually the intensity lessened with time.  It never stays the same forever.  It does improve.  For Relora, I would sometimes take a quarter or half of a 300mg pill.  At my absolute worst I would take a 300mg pill before bed nightly. Like with any supplement, test a small amount and see how your body reacts to it.  I started with quarter of a pill and if nothing significant, I would try half a pill next night.

EDIT:  I missed the part of your signature that says you are still on Lexapro.  It's been a while since I've read the contraindications with Relora but I believe it cannot be taken with an antidepressant.  I was off every medication when I used it.  I think it is best to speak to a naturopath who can supervise you if you do decide to take it.  You would have to do more research on relora and see what other people well versed on it can tell you about taking it with an SSRI.  Your Lexapro is very low but I think 5mg is equivalent to 10mg Celexa.  Still low though.  Best of luck.

<p>10 years of ssri and finally tapered off in 2 years. Off Celexa by jan/28/2014 and off benzos by March/6th/2014 after only two months use and still experiencing withdrawal symptoms.

On 2/16/2018 at 1:43 PM, musk said:

No, antihistamines further suppress the bodies ability to make it's own DAO and in the long run can really mess your system up even worse.  This is my opinion/experience and what I've gathered from researching the topic.  Low histamine diet/elimination diet with some added quercitin, vit C, coQ10- has helped me.  In small doses and rotationally.  Everyone's path is different- everyone's environmental and physical allergies/sensitivities are different.  I think it's best to journal what you eat and how you feel each day and the days following to see if you notice patterns.  That's what I did and what works for me... ❤️

Hi again Penny,

thank you you so much for coming back and spending time to share your experience and helping others!

i lately got extreme reactions to a few things I never ever had problem with while on the meds, first megnusium, then MRI, and now MSG, the reaction symptoms from MSG is very much like a much more severe type that I had to lexapro updose-- severe brain fog, burned and blurred brain, severe  needling pain, burning and swollen, extreme stiffness just to name a few major ones. 

Can you share some of your experience if any about the reaction to food/ supplement, such as symptoms, how long the reaction lasted etc? What are the environment sensitivities that you are still having now, and if they are better somehow?

many thanks!

lex

Drug free Sep. 23 2017

2009 Mar.: lexapro 10mg for headache for 2 weeks.

2009-2012: on and off 1/4 to 1/3 of 10mg

2012 June--2013 Jan,: 1/4-1/3 of 10mg generic, bad jaw pain

2013 Jan-Mar: 10 mg generic. severe jaw and head pain;

2013 Mar--Aug. started tapering (liquid ever since) from 10 to 5 (one step) then gradually down to 2.25 mg by July. first ever panic attack, severe head/jaw pain

2013 Aug.: back to 2.75 mg; Nov: back to Brand Lex. 2.75mg -- 3mg,

2014 June: stopped PPI, head pressure/numbness. up-dosed 4.5mg, severe reaction mental symptoms added on

2014 Aug--2015 Aug: Micro taper down to 3.2mg, .025mg (<1%) cut holding 2-3 weeks.

2015 Aug 15th, Accidental one dose of 4.2mg. worsening brain non-functional, swollen head, body, coma like, DR

2016 Feb., started dosing 10am through 11 pm everyday 2/13--3.2mg, 3/15-- 2.9mg, 4/19-- 2.6mg, 6/26--2.2mg, 7/22 --1.9mg, 8/16--1.8mg,8/31--1.7m g, 9/13--1.6mg, 9/27--1.5mg, 10/8--1.4mg, 10/14--1.3mg, 11/1--1.2mg, 11/29--1.1mg, 12/12--1mg, 12/22--0.9mg

2017: 1/7--0.8mg, 1/15--0.7mg, 1/17--0.6mg, 1/20--0.52, 1/21--0.4mg, 1/22--0.26, 1/23--0.2, 2/13--0.13mg, 2/20--0.06mg, 3/18--0.13mg, 6/1--0.12mg, 7/6--0.1mg, 7/14--0.08mg, 8/17--0.04mg, 8/20--0.03mg, 8/28--0.02mg, 9/6--0.0205mg, 9/8--0.02mg, 9/17--0.015mg, 9/20--0.01mg, 9/21--0.0048mg, 9/22--0.0001mg,

• Administrator

Some of the tricyclic antidepressants are antihistamines.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/39202

Mayo Clin Proc. 1979 Oct;54(10):669-74.

Tricyclic antidepressants and histamine H1 receptors.

Richelson E.

Abstract

Tricyclic antidepressants and some structurally related compounds were tested for their ability to antagonize histamine H1 and muscarinic acetylcholine receptors of cultured mouse neuroblastoma cells. As a group, tertiary amine tricyclic antidepressants tended to be more potent than secondary amine drugs at both receptors. The most potent antihistamine, doxepin hydrocholoride, was about 4 times more potent than amitriptyline hydrochloride, about 800 times more potent than diphenhydramine hydrochloride, and about 8,000 times more potent than desipramine hydrochloride, the least potent tricyclic antidepressant at both the histamine H1 and the muscarinic acetylcholine receptors. All tricyclic drugs except desipramine hydrochloride were more potent as antihistamines than as anticholinergics. Doxepin hydrochloride and amitriptyline hydrochloride may be the most potent antihistamines known, and the antihistaminic potencies of these and the other tricyclic antidepressant drugs may relate directly to their ability to cause sedation and drowsiness in patients.

The tricyclic antidepressants are "first generation" antidepressants. Most people here have been on second-generation antidepressants: SSRIs, SNRIs, etc.

Of second-generation antidepressants, only paroxetine has any significant antihistamine action.

The newer antidepressants may disrupt digestive processes because they interfere with the serotonin system, which is important in digestion, but not because they are antihistaminic and depress DAO production.

I don't believe anyone knows the effect of serotonin downregulation on DAO.

Personally, I went off paroxetine, but I didn't develop histamine intolerance until 11 years after I went off it. I do not believe paroxetine had anything to do with my histamine intolerance, my gut was injured by aspirin.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Some of the atypical AD do have an antihistamine effect:

"Mirtazapine (Remeron) is a noradrenergic and specific serotonergic antidepressant (NaSSA), it doesn’t have effects as monoamine reuptake inhibitor.

A significant feature is its effect as histamine 1 antagonist."

https://psychopharmacologyinstitute.com/antidepressants/mirtazapine-essentials-every-prescriber-know/

1. Desyrel (Trazodone)

Approved in 1981, this antidepressant works as an antagonist at all of its receptor sites except 5-HT1A, where it acts as a partial agonist. It also works as an inhibitor of the serotonin transporters (5-HTT). This drug is largely considered an SARI (Serotonin Antagonist and Reuptake Inhibitor) and works similar to the drug Nefazodone.

In other words, this drug helps increase serotonin levels in the brain (reuptake inhibitor). It also blocks excess serotonin (at 5HT2A and 5HT2C receptors) and excess norepinephrine (at Alpha 1 noradrenergic receptors). The antihistamine properties of this drug are considered to pack a powerful punch.

https://mentalhealthdaily.com/2014/08/13/atypical-antidepressants-list-of-examples/

Current Medications:

Mary Oliver

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/15/2018 at 2:07 AM, LexAnger said:

Hi again Penny,

thank you you so much for coming back and spending time to share your experience and helping others!

i lately got extreme reactions to a few things I never ever had problem with while on the meds, first megnusium, then MRI, and now MSG, the reaction symptoms from MSG is very much like a much more severe type that I had to lexapro updose-- severe brain fog, burned and blurred brain, severe  needling pain, burning and swollen, extreme stiffness just to name a few major ones. 

Can you share some of your experience if any about the reaction to food/ supplement, such as symptoms, how long the reaction lasted etc? What are the environment sensitivities that you are still having now, and if they are better somehow?

many thanks!

lex

Hi Lex!

I get reactions to gluten, dairy, eggs and soy.  This list has grown over the years and I truly believe it is because my body was not making it's own DAO for nearly 15 years while I was on ADs.  They really messed up my gut!  And the majority of our brain chems are located in the gut.  It's been an uphill and confusing battle but I am determined to come out the other side.

I have been off gluten (which literally NO ONE IN THE US SHOULD BE CONSUMING AT THIS POINT), dairy & eggs for nearly 5 years.  I learned early on that these things (with the exception of eggs) gave me skin, mood and digestive reactions.  Gluten can make me feel near suicidal!  It's serious!  Which is why I stress that none of us (in WD or not) should be consuming gluten.  Too many GMOs and the way we grow things here in the US is what is causing this massive allergy generation and gluten is at the top of the list.  But I will save that tangent for another day LOL.  Anyhow- soy recently got added to the mix because I noticed the same thing- I was having major digestive, skin and mood reactions.

For the record, if anyone wants to accelerate healing- please remove gluten and dairy entirely from your life.  It's hard, it sucks but it's something none of us are built to consume.  Especially the way we grow/farm things here in this country.  Just my personal experience and extensive research I've done.

Hope this has helped a bit!

XO,

PL

Dear penny, 

My apology for the late response! I had the most challenging 3 weeks so far totally lost to an unknown world due to the multiple reaction to msg, and especially aspartame.

Thank you so much for sharing the valuable experience and knowledge! 

I'm in total agreement with you on how what we put into our body, even food wise. Others would think it ridiculous but I'm the proof unfortunately. The sxs I got from these reactions are much more terrifying and severe, and serious than what I had from lex, well I tapered lex for 4.5 year, maybe that's why.

So now I eliminated completely msg and aspartame, if adding gluten to the list, it will be more challenging for every day meal. Can you share some of your diets to ensure sufficient nutrients? 

Thanks again penny, hope you are doing even greater!

Lex

Drug free Sep. 23 2017

2009 Mar.: lexapro 10mg for headache for 2 weeks.

2009-2012: on and off 1/4 to 1/3 of 10mg

2012 June--2013 Jan,: 1/4-1/3 of 10mg generic, bad jaw pain

2013 Jan-Mar: 10 mg generic. severe jaw and head pain;

2013 Mar--Aug. started tapering (liquid ever since) from 10 to 5 (one step) then gradually down to 2.25 mg by July. first ever panic attack, severe head/jaw pain

2013 Aug.: back to 2.75 mg; Nov: back to Brand Lex. 2.75mg -- 3mg,

2014 June: stopped PPI, head pressure/numbness. up-dosed 4.5mg, severe reaction mental symptoms added on

2014 Aug--2015 Aug: Micro taper down to 3.2mg, .025mg (<1%) cut holding 2-3 weeks.

2015 Aug 15th, Accidental one dose of 4.2mg. worsening brain non-functional, swollen head, body, coma like, DR

2016 Feb., started dosing 10am through 11 pm everyday 2/13--3.2mg, 3/15-- 2.9mg, 4/19-- 2.6mg, 6/26--2.2mg, 7/22 --1.9mg, 8/16--1.8mg,8/31--1.7m g, 9/13--1.6mg, 9/27--1.5mg, 10/8--1.4mg, 10/14--1.3mg, 11/1--1.2mg, 11/29--1.1mg, 12/12--1mg, 12/22--0.9mg

2017: 1/7--0.8mg, 1/15--0.7mg, 1/17--0.6mg, 1/20--0.52, 1/21--0.4mg, 1/22--0.26, 1/23--0.2, 2/13--0.13mg, 2/20--0.06mg, 3/18--0.13mg, 6/1--0.12mg, 7/6--0.1mg, 7/14--0.08mg, 8/17--0.04mg, 8/20--0.03mg, 8/28--0.02mg, 9/6--0.0205mg, 9/8--0.02mg, 9/17--0.015mg, 9/20--0.01mg, 9/21--0.0048mg, 9/22--0.0001mg,

• 2 months later...
On 5/9/2018 at 3:41 PM, Pennylane34 said:

No, antihistamines further suppress the bodies ability to make it's own DAO and in the long run can really mess your system up even worse.  This is my opinion/experience and what I've gathered from researching the topic.  Low histamine diet/elimination diet with some added quercitin, vit C, coQ10- has helped me.  In small doses and rotationally.  Everyone's path is different- everyone's environmental and physical allergies/sensitivities are different.  I think it's best to journal what you eat and how you feel each day and the days following to see if you notice patterns.  That's what I did and what works for me... ❤️

Hi Penny, whatvtiubare sufferings sounds just like me, I was on Prozac for 18yrs and came of due to what I feel was my body going toxic. I thought I was starting to tolerate things in small dose but I have now came out covered in a rash over my legs and my system has went into high alert again. I now have severe health anxiety from this and also from not being believed about my reactions to things. I asctually was beginning to think it was stress causing the reactions and me as no one believes me. How do I cope with not being able to take things. I have awful tummy trouble at the moment and need to take omeprazole but it is making me unwell. Any advice appreciated. 

Prozac for 18years with break in 1999 for pregnancy. Started to feel unwell with numerous problems 2015 and think I was in a tolerance to drug. Started to come off May 2016 and by June 2016 wasn't able to tolerate any medications at all. Was on Lansoprazole as and when need from 2001 but haven't had to take and wldnt have been able to take since June 2016

GP gave sertraline 25mg 6/04/17 loss of appetite, gut pain and then following morning whole body shaking and vomiting. Stopped tablet.

• 3 months later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi there,

The staff at SA are wondering how you are.  We'd love to hear how you are doing now.   Would you mind dropping by and giving an update?

Thanks.

CC

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• 3 years later...

It’s now been over 10 years since I quit ssris, it’s been a journey…. I can say despite being sensitive to quite a few things…foods, supplements, etc… overall physically and most important emotionally I’ve fully recovered…. In fact I’m far better than I was before I was put on the medication as a child of 13. I’m 35 now and came off these meds at 25. I can actually say in hindsight——This journey happened not to me but for me. I never thought I’d say that. Wishing you all hope and healing…. You’ll get there…one day at a time. Lots of love and light XO

Thank you for coming back to post an update — it helps so so so much! I am in a similar position, coming off of medication I was put on at age 11 and tried to come off at 25, am now mid taper. You are an inspiration!! Thank you!!

2005 - Zoloft, 200 mg for childhood anxiety (starting at age 11)

Summer 2015 - Switched to Prozac, 40 mg  

June 2019 - Tapered to 10 mg Prozac, no adverse effects. Held for 1 year. 

June 2020 - Discontinued Prozac. Horrible withdrawal. Did not realize it was withdrawal at first. 

Nov 2020 - Reinstated Prozac 2.5 mg. Still experiencing withdrawal symptoms. 

May 2021 - Prozac 2.0 mg. Still experiencing symptoms - some symptoms have improved, but situational factors have worsened.

August 12 2021 - Prozac 2.25 mg. Partial reinstatement as symptoms had worsened

June 17 2022 - Prozac 2.0 mg; Sept 13 2022 - Prozac 1.75 mg; Nov 1 2022 - Prozac 1.5 mg; Feb 1 2023 - Prozac 1.25 mg; Apr 1 2023 - Prozac 1.0 mg; June 15, 2023 - Prozac 0.75 mg; Aug 15, 2023 - Prozac 0.5 mg