camomille: Need help please

camomille

Hi, I am feeling rather desperate with increasing symtoms. Here goes:

I have been microtapering Valium since 2012 without major problems. Also on Sertralin 25 mg since 2007. In september 2016 I accidentely missed a dose Valium, 0,30 mg and went into withdrawal. Continued microtaper (tital 0,03mg) until Feb 2017. Was symptomatic. Then started new batch Sertralin (same dose 25 mg) and the day after developed new symtoms - very dry burning mouth, dizzieness, derealisation. New symtoms for me. Called manufacturer who confirmed that new batch was 1% more potent.

Waited two weeks for stabilisation which did not happen. Developed nightly panicattacks and agitation. Decreased Sertalin 1%. Better for one week. Now increasingly more severe symtoms by the day with occasional windows.

What is happening? What should I do?

Thanks for you advice.

2007 Sertralin 50 mg Oxasepam 5 mg

2008 Sertralin 25 mg Valium 2mg

2012 Started Valium taper Sertralin 25 mg

2012 Valium 1 mg Sertralin 25 mg

2017 Valium 0,60 mg Sertralin 25 mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome Camomille,

I'm sorry you have run into some difficulties with your taper, but you have come to the right place for help.

It would be great if you would put your drug and withdrawal history in your signature. Doing this helps people understand your context, it appears below each of your posts. Here are instructions for how to do it:

Please put your withdrawal history in your signature

It sounds to me like you are having an adverse reaction to the new batch of Sertralin. Am I right in assuming this is Sertraline, the generic version of Zoloft?

Are you taking any other medications?

Perhaps you might consider holding your Valium taper for now, and continue tapering Sertralin. Because you had some initial improvement when you decreased the dose, perhaps you would do better with a slightly lower dose.

Your nervous system may have become sensitive, due to the missed dose of valium, withdrawal and now a change in the formula of Sertralin. A sensitized nervous system can sometimes become intolerant of previous drugs and dosages which were fine before and reducing the dose a little can sometimes help.

Here is our Sertraline tapering topic with more information:

Tips for tapering off Zoloft (sertraline)

If I were you, I would try decreasing by another 1 - 2% and see how you feel.

It takes at least 4 days for your body to fully register the addition or dosage change of a neuroactive drug. Observe your symptom pattern for about a week to see if the decrease is helping.

Once you feel symptoms are reduced, give your nervous system time to stabilize before attempting any more tapering. Think in terms of months, not days.

Be patient. You may still experience waves of symptoms, which usually lessen as time goes on.

Here is the link to our symptoms and self care section, you may find some useful ideas to help manage symptoms as you wait to stabilize.  Especially read the topics pinned at the top.

For more information and support with benzo tapering see:  Members-only benzo forum

You can use this thread as your ongoing journal to track progress, write about symptoms, ask questions and communicate with the community, add to it whenever you want. Its a good idea to bookmark it or follow it, so its easy to find again.

You will find a lot of friendly help and support here.

Petunia.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

❤️ Thank You Petunia for your informative and extensive reply. Your observation on my situation is most likely right on the spot. It seems like I am having an adverse reaction to the Sertralin (generica) - that I have been stable on at the same dose for years.

I will try decreasing by 1% tonight. I have to do something. What is strange is thar I felt better after decreasing with 0,7% (to be exact) in februari but now my symtoms are getting worse again. But considering my options decreasing slightly and then holding seems like my only option now.

Thanks a million for your support. I will let you know how it goes.

I take 0,60 mg Valium. That is all. Never took any other neuroactive drugs. I also stay away from supplements.

Camomille

❤️ Thank You Petunia for your informative and extensive reply. Your observation on my situation is most likely right on the spot. It seems like I am having an adverse reaction to the Sertralin (generica) - that I have been stable on at the same dose for years.

I will try decreasing by 1% tonight. I have to do something. What is strange is thar I felt better after decreasing with 0,7% (to be exact) in februari but now my symtoms are getting worse again. But considering my options decreasing slightly and then holding seems like my only option now.

Thanks a million for your support. I will let you know how it goes.

I take 0,60 mg Valium. That is all. Never took any other neuroactive drugs. I also stay away from supplements.

Camomille

I am so scared decreasing my dose, what if I further destabilize my nervous system? I am already on the verge. Do you think I could try lowering in tiny tiny increments like one little drop every 3 days or so? Instead of a whole 1-2% in one go?

And what do I do if I dont get relief? This is clearly an adverse reaction that was triggered by withdrawal from Valium. What are my options? Hang on and try to stabilize even though my symtoms are from an adverse reaction to Zoloft? Taper in the midst of destabilization? Oh dear.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, now almost 14 days have passed since my small decrease. Decreased 0,4 % that is all I dared. Exactly 7 days later symtoms increased significantly and then all of a sudden a very good nights sleep and a clear one day window. Then symtoms came back but sleep has been a little better over all since decrease. Fragmented sleep but at least I get 6 hours. Waves and windows. Symtoms change every day no pattern yet apart from waking up 2-4 hours after dosing at midnight. I wake up with tinnitus, dry mouth and light panic every night. I think this is a reaction to the drug. Or an unstable nervous system.

I also have burning that comes and goes among other symtoms that come and go during the day.

My question is, do you think I should continue decreasing very very slowly as it seems I have had an adverse reaction to the Zoloft? Or will I still benefit from a long hold if I have become intolerant to the drug? Can a sensitised nervous system calm down and I become symtom free still taking a drug which have started giving me possible adverse effects? (After many years without problems, no CT or drastic dose decreases in history)

I cant figure out if my ongoing problems are from intolerance to the Zoloft or a destabilized nervous system.

Holding valium taper for 2 months. I take 0,40 mg Valium.

So much appreciate your advice.Scared.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Camomille,

If I were you, I would hold where you are for now. It sounds like you are in a windows and waves pattern of stabilizing, which is good. Its going to take some more time, but your symptoms should slowly reduce and sleep should continue to improve.

Its a good idea to rate your symptoms daily to help you keep track of how you are doing. Symptoms can distort our memory and make it difficult to accurately recall how we felt days and weeks ago. Here are some tips on how do do this:  

Rate symptoms daily to track patterns and progress

Dr. Joseph Glenmullen's withdrawal symptom checklist

Here is another useful topic with some good basic information about how to keep the nervous system stable: The rule of 3KIS: Keep it simple. Keep it slow. Keep it stable.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Thank you. Your support means so much to me ❤ I will hold now as long as it takes.

• 1 month later...

Hi, please I need some advice.

I am holding my Valium taper and have decreased my Sertralin by 0,5%. Started feeling more stable but then I got a new batch of Valium which seem to have been weaker as I started having withdrawal symptoms even though I did not decrease the dose. Pretty stable on that now again I think.

BUT,  after the Valium causing a bit of instability Ihave started to notice sideeffects from the Sertralin. Directly after taking my dose Tinnitus increases and I get restless legs and very weird felling in my head. Also depersonalisation and other rather severe symtoms.

I am very unstable and getting desperate! Should I continue holding or decreasing? I am afraid the sideeffects will continue to get worse.

Please?

Hugs

• 2 weeks later...

How are you doing Camomile?

With ever increasing traffic on this site it only takes one sleep and a post can go from the leader board to page 3 and be easily missed.

nz11

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

Hi, thanks for asking how I sm doing. In fact not so well but maybe slightly better efter the mishap with the Valium 5 weeks ago. 

I still have the same questions as in my previous post for the moderators. I am having reactions now when I take my doses, I dont know if I should keep on holding or start reducing slightly. I prefer microtaper. Any feedback please?

hugs

Camomille

Camomile are you able to update your signature.

its also easier to follow if you talk of your current dose and from when, rather than a 0,5% decr ? a 1% decr etc which keeps us all guessing especially as its not clear from what dose you decreased.

I am also not sure from the drug sig when you dropped to 0.4 mg of valium.

Im not a benzo expert but it could be that the current instability is from the benzo taper. So you went from 0.6mg to 0.4mg ? well thats a 33% drop. Do you think 33% drop is a big drop for a benzo dose?

You say that the new zoloft batch was 1% more potent so that makes it a 25.25 mg dose rather than a 25mg dose then you dropped by 1% which pretty much puts you back to 25mg (was it the same manufacturer or different?)...then you dropped it by 0.5% which means you are now on 24.88mg (right? [24.875]). What do you think is the cause of the instability a 0.5% drop in zoloft or a 33 % drop in valium?

Why not just sit for a while longer until you feel more stable. Dont drop anything.

You say you are "slightly better" than 5 weeks ago, so thats an improvement right?

I am having reactions now when I take my doses,

What do you mean by this?

do you mean this... "Ihave started to notice sideeffects from the Sertralin. Directly after taking my dose Tinnitus increases and I get restless legs and very weird felling in my head. Also depersonalisation and other rather severe symtoms. "

Do you take your sert and valium at the same time? How do you know this is from the sert?

nz11

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

Hi, sorry for confusion, but I am still on 0,60mg Valium. Never decreased since february. BUT, I started an new batch of Valium 5 weeks ago which apparently was weaker as I started experiencing withdrawal after a few days. I think I am still recoverng from that. 

As a result from that I started experiencing sideeffects from Sertralin dosing, (and also withdrawal symtoms from the bad reaction in february) which I take at midnight (I take Valium in the morning). I also have started to feel a reaction when taking Valium, legs get weak. I never during my 3 year taper felt that before.

So it is a mess and I dont know what to do now. Wait for stabilizing and hope that the sideeffects decrease as my nervoussystem gets less sensitive? Or am I just waiting for something that never will happen? Am I better of starting a microtaper off both medications or one of them? Which one in that case?

My own theory is that the Valium (involontary) decreased dose also had a destabilising effect on the Sertralin, I am now on approximately 24,5 mg Sertralin.

Tried to update my signature but did not succeed ... 

Hugs

• Moderator Emeritus

If you're tapering diazepam (Valium) and keeping sertraline dose the same, you may be best to start a topic in the Members-only benzo forum and post there with your benzo taper questions.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

Hi, no I am not tapering benzos. I have been holding since januari this year. I have other questions regarding Sertralin taper, please see my post above!

Thanks for any help I can get as I am so ill.

Hugs