SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

What kind of good effects have noticed as you started to lower your dosage?

zxcv

My personality has changed for the better. I got off of the meds (but did a bad taper, so I am suffering with withdrawal symptoms) because I just did not know who I was anymore. I was always anger, gave in to my rage, was filled with hate, and thought about killing myself several times (but never made a real plan). My wife and kids hated me and were ready to leave me.

But off of the drugs, I am gentle, loving, understanding, helpful, and kind.

Also, I used to suffer terrible headaches whenever the barometric pressure has changed. Those headaches have gone away - thank God!

I also had terrible insomnia, but now sleep a solid 6 to 7 hours a night and I am not tired during the day.

So the upsides have been tremendous.

But the current anxiety wave - plus the neuropathy pain in my arms and legs, and some weakness - has me questioning ever going off of the drugs. Nothing has helped cut this wave, which has been with me for a couple of weeks now and was the worst this past weekend. I even expressed to my wife that maybe I should go back on the meds. I have contemplated going to the ER. But what will they do for me there but give me a benzo (God forbid!) and order a psych consult? The doctors have been useless to me.

Sorry - this was supposed to be about the upside, about what is going right. And like I said, a lot is going right, praise God!

What about you, zxcv? What good effects have you seen?

SJ

Main thread: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/14472-shakeyjerr-say-hello/

History: Prozac & Lithium from 1999 to 2003. Ended up back on after 4 months because taking a beta-blocker caused immediate depression (just 2 doses - turned out I didn't even need it; I had no other withdrawal symptoms - I might have ended up med and withdrawal-free otherwise :(). - Switched to Effexor (75mg 3/day) and Seroquel (50mg 3/day) in 2010. - Did a self-taper during 2016. - Developed Discontinuation Syndrome 02/17.

Supplements: Magnesium-Glycinate 400mg split into 4 100mg doses throughout the day. Vitamin C 500mg - once per day. Fish Oil 1360 mg (950 mg Active Omega-3) - twice per day.

I'm not a doctor. I use the internet, experience, and trial & error. Seek medical advice if necessary.

I think my libido is gradually increasing back to its ridiculously high levels. I'm sure I'm becoming more and more social, more at ease in stranger's company,which ironically was what the SSRI was for in the first place. Stuff is washing over me now, I don't react defensively or have an over arching need to be right all the time. Anger outbursts are far, far less common...Increasingly in a I don't give a **** attitude. More mellow all round.

May 2007 - October 2007 Citalopram 20 mg od. 1st Antidepressant ever taken. No problem with fast taper and no withdrawal effects. No antidepressants for over 5 years.

January 2013 started Citalopram 20mg.

March 2014 Switched to Sertraline 50 mg od.

23rd June 2016 started taper 45mg

23.07.16 40.5mg 23.08.16 36.45mg 27.09.16 34.65mg 24.10.16 32.90mg 28.11.16 31.26mg 04.01.17 32mg 25.02.17 31mg 22.03.17 30mg 14.04.17 29mg 09.05.17 28mg 07.06.17 27mg 08.06.17 26mg 13.07.17 25mg 07.08.17 24mg 24.08.17 23mg 13.09.17 22mg 12.10.17 21mg 10.11.17 20mg 04.12.17 19mg 01.01.18 17mg 25.01.18 15mg 22.02.18 13.5mg 25.03.18 12.15mg 

I have actually also lost a good amount of weight. Though that's really a side effect of the "food makes me nauseous" symptom of withdrawal. My pants are all too big now. I don;t want to buy new pants. I hate shopping and spending money, especially on clothes.

SJ

Main thread: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/14472-shakeyjerr-say-hello/

History: Prozac & Lithium from 1999 to 2003. Ended up back on after 4 months because taking a beta-blocker caused immediate depression (just 2 doses - turned out I didn't even need it; I had no other withdrawal symptoms - I might have ended up med and withdrawal-free otherwise :(). - Switched to Effexor (75mg 3/day) and Seroquel (50mg 3/day) in 2010. - Did a self-taper during 2016. - Developed Discontinuation Syndrome 02/17.

Supplements: Magnesium-Glycinate 400mg split into 4 100mg doses throughout the day. Vitamin C 500mg - once per day. Fish Oil 1360 mg (950 mg Active Omega-3) - twice per day.

I'm not a doctor. I use the internet, experience, and trial & error. Seek medical advice if necessary.

My personality has changed for the better. I got off of the meds (but did a bad taper, so I am suffering with withdrawal symptoms) because I just did not know who I was anymore. I was always anger, gave in to my rage, was filled with hate, and thought about killing myself several times (but never made a real plan). My wife and kids hated me and were ready to leave me.

But off of the drugs, I am gentle, loving, understanding, helpful, and kind.

Also, I used to suffer terrible headaches whenever the barometric pressure has changed. Those headaches have gone away - thank God!

I also had terrible insomnia, but now sleep a solid 6 to 7 hours a night and I am not tired during the day.

So the upsides have been tremendous.

But the current anxiety wave - plus the neuropathy pain in my arms and legs, and some weakness - has me questioning ever going off of the drugs. Nothing has helped cut this wave, which has been with me for a couple of weeks now and was the worst this past weekend. I even expressed to my wife that maybe I should go back on the meds. I have contemplated going to the ER. But what will they do for me there but give me a benzo (God forbid!) and order a psych consult? The doctors have been useless to me.

Sorry - this was supposed to be about the upside, about what is going right. And like I said, a lot is going right, praise God!

What about you, zxcv? What good effects have you seen?

SJ

I've actually just started. So I wanted see how it's effected other people.

History:

Trazodone:  150mg -> 0mg

Wellbutrin: 300mg - > 0 mg a day

Fluoxetine: 60mg  -> 40 mg

I have reduced my dose (early tapers led to disaster so I'm moving very slowly this time), but I think i have noticed good effects.

I feel more playful and light with my kids, and better able to move past negative states. Which is kind of funny since i'm also feeling more fragile and waking with a bit of adrenaline in the mornings, and have felt teary and overwhelmed at times. But maybe this is the upside of emotions being less dampened? I can be silly and playful and positive more readily (as well as teary).

And I do feel like my brain or my personality is waking up - I'm more energetic, want to push past everything that feels slow and heavy and reminds me of feeling such inertia. I don't hate SSRIs - they have been a godsend to me, and gave me profound change when I was barely functioning. But I don't feel I can be my 'full' self on them (that's my current hypothesis anyway), so I'm gratified to feel these changes as I adjust to a lower dose.

Also - I've stopped gorging on carbs and sugar. My days don't begin and end with thinking about bread, cakes and sweets. I haven't sworn off them (like I've tried to do so many times in the last ten years) , I've just got a normal appetite again. Fingers crossed that's a real effect and not a passing mood - I have 25kg to shift!

Celexa (Citalopram)    40mg  - 60mg - 40mg for 7 years          Tapered (over 3 months) drug-free Aug–Nov 2013 CRASH

40mg    Dec 2013 – Jan 2017 (7 weeks reinstatement hell then relief)

2017:    20mg    30 Jan       18mg   19 April          16mg   6 May          14mg   20 May      12mg  10 Jun

10mg   7 July          9mg    7 Aug               8mg     16 Oct          7.5mg  27 Nov         

2018:    7mg      8 Jan          6.5mg  12 Feb          6mg  17 Mar            5.2mg  14 Apr      5mg  28 Apr

4.8mg  4 Jun           4.6mg   23 Jun         4.4mg   24 Jul          4.2mg 13 Aug      4mg  20 Aug

3.8mg  1 Sep           3.6mg  28 Sep          3.4mg  14 Oct          3.2mg  11 Nov     3mg  5 Dec

5mg    26 Dec          10mg  28 Dec

Added Valdoxan 25mg   12 Dec 2018      stopped 24 Jan 2019

Wellbutrin 150mg     25 Jan

My experience is a mixed bag. Yes, I'm suffering from brain zaps and insomnia, but I'm also noticing a lot of positive effects of coming off 13 years of high-dose Paxil. It's as if I've thrown off that familiar warm wet blanket of nearly numb emotional dampening and rediscovered <gasp> the real me. I've got more energy, that's for sure. And I'm noticing a lot more in terms of my emotional range as well as all kinds of sensory subtleties. A feeling of genuineness and assuredness that I'm doing the right thing. Looking back, I'm really wondering whether my depression was primarily situational rather than any kind of genetic predisposition or organic process.

So far, so good. This is a great topic that merits more attention. Things can get pretty darned heavy around here and exploring the big picture is always a good way to lighten up the mood and find some balance.

Paroxetine: rapid taper, off completely as of 4/15/17

Looking back, I'm really wondering whether my depression was primarily situational rather than any kind of genetic predisposition or organic process.

I think the same thing. I believe the therapist who convinced me to go on the drugs did so under the theory that they would "grease the wheels" to get me through some troubling times, and to open me up to overcoming my past struggles. But then I ended up on the not-merry-at-all-go-round that these drugs induce, and the doses got higher, other drugs were added, drug changes were made, and here I am now going through withdrawal.

SJ

My experience is a mixed bag. Yes, I'm suffering from brain zaps and insomnia, but I'm also noticing a lot of positive effects of coming off 13 years of high-dose Paxil. It's as if I've thrown off that familiar warm wet blanket of nearly numb emotional dampening and rediscovered <gasp> the real me. I've got more energy, that's for sure. And I'm noticing a lot more in terms of my emotional range as well as all kinds of sensory subtleties. A feeling of genuineness and assuredness that I'm doing the right thing. Looking back, I'm really wondering whether my depression was primarily situational rather than any kind of genetic predisposition or organic process.

So far, so good. This is a great topic that merits more attention. Things can get pretty darned heavy around here and exploring the big picture is always a good way to lighten up the mood and find some balance.

freakZone - similar for me. I've been at home with kids the past decade (both at school now for several years), and I have a strong need to to hurry up and catch up with the world. The past few years I've only vaguely felt like it was time for a change, but my motivation didn't feel clear and purposeful. I feel like I'm waking up after intellectually and physically 'letting myself go'. So I'm a bit more concerned about where I'm at in life, my looks, my friends etc, but also I have the energy and clear-headedness to engage and connect and push myself.

I feel a bit edgy a lot of the time, and I'm waking earlier and usually don't feel great in the morning, but so far I prefer this to the slow-motion, blanketed feeling.

Also - in the last year or so on ADs I would find myself wasting heaps of time, researching weird stuff on the internet, playing Pokemon go and making charts and spreadsheets etc. Really stupid stuff that I wouldn't want anyone to know about. This is while i was feeling unconnected, unfulfilled etc And I KNEW at the time that it didn't add up, but somehow I kept doing it, and then I'd feel worse about my life, my lack of discipline etc etc Somehow the ADs kept me feeling like 'It'll be alright, just do what you want today, tomorrow you can call those people, do the work etc"

Now I feel so different. I still procrastinate a bit at times, but nothing like that. I'm applying for jobs, connecting with people, I"m much more organised with my household. And it's all what I WANT to do, not something I feel I should be doing. ADs kind of messed up the chain of cause and effect, or action and consequence or something. I could simultaneously be feeling really desperately lonely and unconnected, yet be sitting in the car waiting for the kids at school instead of getting out and talking to people I knew. I was always going to do it tomorrow. WEIRD.

Bloody ADs. 

Celexa (Citalopram)    40mg  - 60mg - 40mg for 7 years          Tapered (over 3 months) drug-free Aug–Nov 2013 CRASH

40mg    Dec 2013 – Jan 2017 (7 weeks reinstatement hell then relief)

2017:    20mg    30 Jan       18mg   19 April          16mg   6 May          14mg   20 May      12mg  10 Jun

10mg   7 July          9mg    7 Aug               8mg     16 Oct          7.5mg  27 Nov         

2018:    7mg      8 Jan          6.5mg  12 Feb          6mg  17 Mar            5.2mg  14 Apr      5mg  28 Apr

4.8mg  4 Jun           4.6mg   23 Jun         4.4mg   24 Jul          4.2mg 13 Aug      4mg  20 Aug

3.8mg  1 Sep           3.6mg  28 Sep          3.4mg  14 Oct          3.2mg  11 Nov     3mg  5 Dec

5mg    26 Dec          10mg  28 Dec

Added Valdoxan 25mg   12 Dec 2018      stopped 24 Jan 2019

Wellbutrin 150mg     25 Jan

Good thread. After 2 years and 4 months off medicine, I've got these:

- I sleep well
- Food cravings are gone
- I've got energy and motivation to do stuff
- I'm interested in my appearance again
- That weird low key sadness/anxiety is not haunting me anymore
- I've got a large scale of emotions, not just "okay" or "not okay" or "whatever". 

Of course I still get waves where some of those may change temporarily.

My history:
Escitalopram 5-10mg 2006-2008

Fluoxetine 40mg 2008-2010
Venlafaxine 150mg 2010 - December 2014
I tapered off very quickly:
1. week 75mg
2. week 35,5mg
3. week 17mg
4. week 8,5mg
5. week none

Good thread. After 2 years and 4 months off medicine, I've got these:

- I sleep well

- Food cravings are gone

- I've got energy and motivation to do stuff

- I'm interested in my appearance again

- That weird low key sadness/anxiety is not haunting me anymore

- I've got a large scale of emotions, not just "okay" or "not okay" or "whatever". 

Of course I still get waves where some of those may change temporarily.

Wow - that is all very encouraging stuff! Reading about your successes is going to be a boon to all of us!

SJ

• Altostrata changed the title to What kind of good effects have noticed as you started to lower your dosage?

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy