SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Theslaveofhappiness: Started tapering in February and now I am struggling

Theslaveofhappiness

I started at 60mg of Cymbalta which was 12 pellets inside the capsule.  I started to reduce every 14 days for two reasons: Insurance was running out and so was my patience with the meds.  Everything was going great until I got down to 4 pellets and now i am miserable.  

I have severe pressure headaches, brain zaps, nausea, vertigo, panic attacks, agitation, mania, etc.  I don't know how much to add back to stabilize or do I just suffer it out and stay at 4 till it settles?  

Trying not to panic......because I know this will pass. But yesterday, I actually thought, "Maybe it is just a brain tumor and not the meds!"

5/4 was down to 20mg, but withdrawal was too intense and upped to 25mg. Started SAMe400, Bacopa, Ashwaganda,3000 mg Omega 3, and Holy Basil tea.  Trying to figure out what to increase to to stop withdrawal symptoms.

60 mg of Cymbalta for 10 yrs, .50 xanax PRN for Cymbalta side effects and sleep

No it's withdrawal, eat healthy and start mindfulness meditation. Believe these feelings will pass good luck!!

20 mg cipralex for 6 years, did a two months taper roughly 5mg at a time. Then 2 months drug free. Then needed to reinstate 5mg cipralex for one week now. Also take omega 3,Vit c, b12, glucosamine as supplements.

-so I've reinstate 5mg cipralex since may.19 till current.

-No other drugs being taken

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi TSOH, and welcome to SA,

SA recommends tapering by no more than 10% of the previous dose with about a 4 week hold to allow the brain to adapt to not getting as much of the drug.  You have tapered very quickly from 60mg and from the description of your symptoms you are most probably experiencing withdrawal symptoms.

You might want to consider reinstating.  If you decide to do this let us know and we can suggest a dose - please do not go back on 60mg as your brain will have already made some adaptation in the 2 months since being off.

Thank you for creating your drug signature.  We need some additional information about the dates and doses you did your reductions as well as when you last took Cymbalta.   Could you please add dates and doses (in your case number of pellets) to your signature?  Are these the only 2 drugs you are taking?  If there are any other prescription, non-prescription drugs and supplements you are currently taking please include them as well.  Thank you.   Please also remember to update it with date and dose whenever make a change so that it remains current. Thank you.

Here are some links to check out:

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

Dr Joseph Glenmullen's WD Symptoms Checklist

Tips for tapering off Cymbalta (duloxetine)

These helped me to understand SA's recommendations:

Brain Remodelling

This is your own Intro topic where you can ask any questions you have and you can also journal your progress.  If you click "Follow" top right you will be notified when someone responds.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

No it's withdrawal, eat healthy and start mindfulness meditation. Believe these feelings will pass good luck!!

I meditate 3 times a day, am on a 1200 calorie a day diet, swim 50 laps daily.  I think that is why i am so shocked by the symptoms.

5/4 was down to 20mg, but withdrawal was too intense and upped to 25mg. Started SAMe400, Bacopa, Ashwaganda,3000 mg Omega 3, and Holy Basil tea.  Trying to figure out what to increase to to stop withdrawal symptoms.

I really wish I had found this forum sooner!  I have updated my signature and have been reading tons. Apparently I am now throwing the kitchen sink at my withdrawal symptoms, lol.

My big concern, right now, is how to function daily and not lose my job.  Mentally I am fine, because I know that this will pass. Physically, I feel like my brain is going to explode.  My head hurts, my ears are ringing, i have severe pressure on my skull, and nausea.  I must fund a way to lessen these sensations so I can work.

I totally relate to what you are going through.   I too am pretty fine mentally but the physical withdrawal symptoms are intense.  Headaches, brain fog, nausea, chills, and sweating.

It's so strange to know that what you are going through is withdrawal and still have to go through it.

I can only offer you support and hope that this too shall pass.

9/2013-4/2014:  After moms death, was prescribed a series of meds for short periods of time that didn't work. Zoloft, Lexapro,  Nortriptyline, Liquid Prozac, Cymbalta. 

1/2014-9/2014. Clonzapam: Given Lamictal, stopped Clonzapam at .125mgs  

1/2015-4 2017 Remeron: 41.25 -0.025mgs

7/2015-11/2018 Lamictal: 200mgs-0.05 mgs Had paradoxical reaction to Lamictal wd, broke my heart to take a benzo but wasn't sleeping. 

3/28/2019 -2/5/ 2021  Clonazapam: 0.625mgs-.00115 Med Free 

July 27th, 2022**Severe Setback due to surgery/ anesthesia. 

9/7/22-10/4/22 Trazadone 50-100mgs for sleep, 10/13/22-11/13/22 Trazadone 1 mg to stabilize

10/4/22-11/20/22 Remeron 7.5mgs (for sleep doesn't work) 11/20/22 7.3 - 12/31/22 6.3 

2023: 1/18/23 6.1 - 6/6/23 3.6  6/16 3.4  6/28 3.0 7/12 2.7  7/28 2.5 8/11 2.2 8/23 2.0  9/5 1.8  9/16 1.6  9/30 1.4  10/13 1.2  10/26 1.0  11/9 0.8  11/22 0.6  12/6 0.4  12/23 0.2.

2024 1/4/24  Remeron/Mirtazapine free 

Additional Support:  Armour Thyroid 75mgs, Magnesium Glycinate 300-500mgs,  L-theanine