SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Melzap: constant brain zaps after tapering off lexapro

Melzap

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Melzap,

I think a little reinstatement might really do the trick for you.

I can so recall my own mishap with what I thought was a taper of Lexapro.  Once I got below 5 mg., I was a complete mess.  Completely neuro disregulated and completely on my own with it all.   And so wish I had known to reinstate the drug I had come off of.

Get going with the 0.1 mg dose, give it 4-7 days, unless considerably worse. 

If I were you, I'd be working on getting a refill too, of your Lexapro/escitalopram liquid 1mg per 1 ml.    And then keeping it all as simple as possible for a good while. 

Do keep us posted:  notes work best.  It's a good practice to get into.  Try some now even, on your own, to get an idea of how your days go, related to what you focus on, and do.

When you start the reinstatement post them here in 24 hour increments.

Have you gotten familiar with these below yet:

BASIC SUPPLEMENT TOOLKIT

King of supplements: Omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil)

Magnesium, nature's calcium channel blocker

Start with just one or the other, after getting familiar with at least the first posts in each link.  I think that if you haven't tried either yet, I'd recommend the magnesium, either split throughout the day by mouth(always take with plenty of water) or in a nice bathtub soak in the form of Epsom salts.

Sending healing......and my usual Love, peace, and growth from this experience.

manymoretodays(mmt)

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

Hi Manymoretodays

Thank you so much for sharing this with me.  And I love your name!  

I am hoping to start the reinstatement tomorrow if I can get the syringe.  I definitely should have the syringe by Tuesday at the latest, as I had 2nd day delivery for shipping.  I am anxious and excited to get on with this and thinking of doing my idea of counting how many drops are in 1 ml as measured by my small gradated cylinder until I can get the syringe, but then I'm afraid I'll get an inaccurate dose.  I don't know if waiting 2 more days will make a difference.

I will keep notes, I have been journaling most days.  I'll be sure to do so everyday.

When you say unless it gets considerably worse that kind of makes me scared, but I have to try.

I already have magnesium citrate powder.  2tsp=325 mg

I'll start with 1/2 tsp it suggests to start at 1/2 tsp on the container.

Thank you again so much, I really appreciate your help.  I am feeling very hopeful now.

6/27/2013 start lexapro 10 mg daily, 2/20/2017 change to 5 mg lexapro daily, 3/3/2017 change to 5 mg lexapro every other day, 3/10/17 last dose of lexapro, 12/3/17 back on 4 mg lexapro , 2017-2018  10 mg for a few months and then back to 5 mg.  stayed on 5 mg for about 6 months. spring 2019 tapered over 2 months to 2.5 mg then stopped in June 2019, September 2019 back on 5 mg through march 2020, march- april 2020 tapered to 3 mg, april 15 2020 last dose

9/1/2020 reinstate .25 mg, 9/5 change to .15 mg, 9/6 .2 mg,

• Moderator Emeritus

Don't let it scare you.  I wish, I wish I had reinstated rather than going inpatient or that they had known enough to reinstate me.  If it doesn't work, it won't set you back further.

If you can be consistent with measuring, that's what is really important. 

I thought I saw that you had the 1 mg in 1 mL solution.

Do you have any syringes?  And you can always "ask a pharmacist" somewhere if they have a syringe and then, to help you read a syringe tomorrow.

Then do a test measurement and see if this is "sounding" sound. 

When I google how many drops(gtts) in a millileter it says 20. 

And so then if 1ml is equivalent to 1 mg is equivalent to 20 gtts:

10 gtts is equivalent to 0.5 mg

5 gtts is equivalent to 0.25 mg

And then 3 gtts is equivalent to 0.15 mg

(if it was me, I'd be okay doing the 5 gtts or 0.25 mg for a trial reinstatement to start)

I'm going to, @Frogie here too, a fine mentor, who I believe did her tapering of Lexapro with the 1mg/1mL solution, that most get, here in the States.  She might have some additional insight and encouragement for you!

Best of Sundays to you!

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

36 minutes ago, Melzap said:

Hi Manymoretodays

Thank you so much for sharing this with me.  And I love your name!  

I am hoping to start the reinstatement tomorrow if I can get the syringe.  I definitely should have the syringe by Tuesday at the latest, as I had 2nd day delivery for shipping.  I am anxious and excited to get on with this and thinking of doing my idea of counting how many drops are in 1 ml as measured by my small gradated cylinder until I can get the syringe, but then I'm afraid I'll get an inaccurate dose.  I don't know if waiting 2 more days will make a difference.

I will keep notes, I have been journaling most days.  I'll be sure to do so everyday.

When you say unless it gets considerably worse that kind of makes me scared, but I have to try.

I already have magnesium citrate powder.  2tsp=325 mg

I'll start with 1/2 tsp it suggests to start at 1/2 tsp on the container.

Thank you again so much, I really appreciate your help.  I am feeling very hopeful now.

Hi:

I'm really sorry you are having such a hard time. But, Lexapro is very mean. I had a Moderator here tell me one time, it was like pulling the tail of a tiger if you didn't treat it right. 

I did do my taper with Liquid Lexapro like @manymoretodays said. It took me about 4 years to taper off 10 mg.

If you are going to get the syringe in the next day or so I think it would be alright to wait so you can get the Lexapro measured just right. I wouldn't want you to take a bigger dose and stabilize on it then try to measure it with the syringe, and not get the correct dosage.

Just be careful and go slowly. That's the best suggestion I can give you. Hold until you are stable, a couple months at least, then begin tapering not more than 10% a month.

You are welcome to ask me any questions. I hope I was able to answer any questions you may have.

Good luck! You came to the right place :)

Take care,

Frogie xx

PREVIOUS medications and discontinuations: Have been on medications since 1996. 

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

I am not a medical professional.

The suggestions I make are based on personal experience.

• Moderator Emeritus

Melzap,

Did your EEG and MRI done in 2017 both come back normal?

Just interested.

And.....right now, any other withdrawal symptoms?  You've mentioned brain zaps and sounds like some increased "anxiety".  Anything else, of note?

Thanks.

Hi  Froggie and Manymoretodays

I haven't figured out how to reply to each post, it shows reply after all the recent posts.

Thank you both for your support.

Yes the EEG and MRI were normal.  The MRI showed inflammation in my sinuses otherwise normal.

Currently the worst symptoms are that when I move my head even slightly out of vertical, I get a feeling like I just did a somersault, very dizzy, not spinning , but dizzy and nauseated. Also feeling physically anxious and anxious thoughts returning.  Also congestion (related?)

When I go back I realize I knew better than to suffer through this and I should have tapered way more slowly.  I kept thinking it would just pass.  I feel stupid.  I can't change the past, I have to be optimistic.

I did not take it yet.  I have to bring my son to the doctor for his yearly check up, I don't want to take it just before going.  I'll update later today.

Thank you both sooooooo much

6/27/2013 start lexapro 10 mg daily, 2/20/2017 change to 5 mg lexapro daily, 3/3/2017 change to 5 mg lexapro every other day, 3/10/17 last dose of lexapro, 12/3/17 back on 4 mg lexapro , 2017-2018  10 mg for a few months and then back to 5 mg.  stayed on 5 mg for about 6 months. spring 2019 tapered over 2 months to 2.5 mg then stopped in June 2019, September 2019 back on 5 mg through march 2020, march- april 2020 tapered to 3 mg, april 15 2020 last dose

1 hour ago, Melzap said:

Hi  Froggie and Manymoretodays

I haven't figured out how to reply to each post, it shows reply after all the recent posts.

Thank you both for your support.

Yes the EEG and MRI were normal.  The MRI showed inflammation in my sinuses otherwise normal.

Currently the worst symptoms are that when I move my head even slightly out of vertical, I get a feeling like I just did a somersault, very dizzy, not spinning , but dizzy and nauseated. Also feeling physically anxious and anxious thoughts returning.  Also congestion (related?)

When I go back I realize I knew better than to suffer through this and I should have tapered way more slowly.  I kept thinking it would just pass.  I feel stupid.  I can't change the past, I have to be optimistic.

I did not take it yet.  I have to bring my son to the doctor for his yearly check up, I don't want to take it just before going.  I'll update later today.

Thank you both sooooooo much

I'm sorry you are feeling like that. But, if it's any consolation, I was very nauseated and dizzy throughout my lexapro taper. I also had a lot of congestion. I still am congested with my Xanax taper. You have no idea how these meds affect you until you start to go off of them.

I still have the dizziness going through my Xanax taper.

Don't every feel stupid. These are horrible meds with horrible side affects. No one knows until one has been on them and trying to taper off. You can't change the past, but you are making the future brighter!

I'm glad to know your tests cam out normal. Very good news.

Hang in there it will get better. I tell myself that everyday :)

Take care,

Frogie xx

P.S. to tag someone you just type the @ sign then start typing the name. A list will come up and you can pick who you want. Hope that makes sense.

PREVIOUS medications and discontinuations: Have been on medications since 1996. 

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

I am not a medical professional.

The suggestions I make are based on personal experience.

hi

after my post yesterday, after I brought my son to the doctor and before i went to work i had extreme anxiety and crying.  I went to work and settled down

then suddenly i felt very clear and optimistic!

although still dizzy and nauseated i feel much more clear

Today i woke up with anxiety about whether to reinstate or not.  the day before i was excited to try to get some relief but then yesterday afternoon feeling so much better, i became afraid that reinstating might cause something bad

now i feel very anxious and unable to make a simple decision.

the syringe i ordered so i can measure correctly will be delivered tomorrow, so i tell myself wait for tomorrow. let that make the decision for you

then i think, i can just do the drops and see how i feel

so at this point i am stuck and just waiting

today i feel much more clear, not foggy, but anxious about the decision

i wish i could just make up my mind and trust my decision

i've been doing a CBT workbook, and trying to sort out these automatic thoughts.

trying to be optimistic and truly believe i can stop the thoughts without the use of medication

I wish i had done that before ever taking the medication, but I can't change the past

ok

so I just decided to do the reinstatement and took 5 drops= .25 mg 

I will do this as suggested for 4-7 days and see how i feel

thank you again for your help and support

yesterday evening I felt my heart racing like i just had 20 cups of coffee or something.  I think it was from the lexapro, it felt horrible

today i took it again, feeling the same wired feeling

don't think i should continue it

feel very ambivalent

hate this feeling

Hi Melzap!

My guess would be...yes , this could definitely be the Lexapro talking. I've never had heart rate problems in 44 years but when I started taking citalopram things started to become a problem. Had my heart checked three times since, no problems found.

Heart racing is the most evil feeling. Like you want to crawl out of your skin.

I don't know if the reinstatement will help for you. Let's hope so. Let us know how it goes.

The moderators have a lot more knowledge about reinstatement than I do so I hope they can help you.

Good luck.

Cheers

Jozeff

Sep- 2016 - Okt 2017 citalopram some months 15 mg some months 20 mg

Nov 2017- Apr 2018 citalopram 25 mg

Apr 2018 -  Jun 2018 citalopram 3 month TAPER too fast  from 25mg to 16.5 mg (0.1 mg per day decrease, felt horrible and crashed)

Jun 2018 - Aug13th 2018 citalopram trying to stabilize at 16.5 mg for 5 wks

- August 14th 2018 - April 29th 2019  citalopram 18 mg (1.5 mg updose).

2019 apr 27 : START taper citalopram @ 18 mg: 29Jun 16.4 mg / 19aug 15.4 mg / 25aug 15.2 mg / 30sep 14.0 mg / 4dec 13.1 mg

2020  03Jan 12.75 mg / 28Jan 12.29 mg / 18Feb 11.83 mg, 25Feb 11.68 mg hold.. / 7May 11.33 mg hold...., 4Aug 10.98 mg / 5Dec 10.0 mg 4 month hold...

2021 30mar 9.8 mg / 06apr 9.5 mg /  13apr 9.4 mg / 14may 8,5 mg / 04jun 8,0 mg / 11jun 7.75 mg, 02jul 7.35 mg /  09jul 7.2 mg hold 3 weeks during holiday /31jul 7 mg/ 8aug 6.8 mg / 15aug 6.63mg / 22aug 6.5mg / 1sep 6.3 mg / 8sep 6.15 mg / 15sep 6.0 mg / 22sep 5.9 mg / 29sep 5.8 mg / 04 oct 5.65 mg / 10oct 5.55 mg / 17oct 5.45 mg / 24oct 5.35mg / 30oct 5.25 mg hold 3 wks / 22nov 5.15 mg / 01dec 5.1mg / 12dec 5.0mg / 20dec 4.85mg / 30dec 4.70mg

2022   08jan 4.5 mg / 16jan 4.4 mg / 23jan 4.3 mg / 27jan 4.2 mg / 18feb 4.1 mg / 25feb 4.0 mg / 04mar 3.9 mg / 11mar 3.75 mg / 18Mar 3.65 mg / 09apr 3.55 mg / 16apr 3.45 mg / 23apr 3.35 mg / 01may 3.25 mg / 8may 3.15 mg / 17may 3.10 mg / 28 may 3.0 mg / 7jun 2.94 mg / 18 Jun 2.88 mg / 27 jun 2.84 mg / 05 jul 2.80 mg / 16 jul 2.75 mg / 23 jul 2.70 mg / 01aug 2.65 mg / 09aug 2.60 mg hold 5wks / 18sep 2.55 mg / 25sep 2.5 mg /02oct 2.45 mg / 10oct 2.40 mg / 19oct 2.35 mg / 27oct 2.30 mg / 05nov 2.27 mg / 14nov 2.25 mg / 22nov 2.20 mg / 29nov 2.10mg / 09dec 2.05 mg / 15dec 2.0 mg 

2023  hold 2.0 mg for 5 months / 05may 1.95 mg / 14may 1.90 mg / 24may 1.87 mg / 02jun 1.85 mg / 17jun 1.82 mg / 27jun 1.79 mg / 07jul 1.75 mg / 31jul 1.72 mg / 12aug 1.69mg / 27aug 1.67 mg / 04sep 1.65 mg / 09sep 1.63 mg / 22sep 1.61 mg / 27sep 1.60 mg / 12oct 1.58 mg / 18oct 1.56 mg / 31oct 1.54 mg / 06nov 1.52 mg / 18nov 1.50 mg / 04dec 1.48 mg / 11dec 1.46 mg / 22dec 1.45 mg / 28dec 1.44 mg

2024 01jan 1.43 mg / 06jan 1.42 mg/ 10jan 1.40 mg hold /

Hi Jozeff

Thank you for replying .  Yes I think it is due to the lexapro.  I am not sure what to do.  Thank you for your kind words.

Best wishes,

Mel  (i think melzap is too negative, i hate the zaps, so now i'm simply Mel)

• Moderator Emeritus
On 9/1/2020 at 5:09 PM, Melzap said:

ok

so I just decided to do the reinstatement and took 5 drops= .25 mg 

I will do this as suggested for 4-7 days and see how i feel

thank you again for your help and support

Hello Melzap 

Could you please update your signature with the reinstatement ?

---》 heart racing/wired feeling : it appeared with reinstatement ? Or did you feel it before ?

Edited by Erell

2006 : 20mg Paxil+Bromazepam. 2008 : cold turkey of both. 2010 : Reinstatement 20mg Paxil + Bromazepam.

2014-June2017 : Switch from Bromazepam to Prazepam, slow taper to 0mg.

2018 to August 2019 : Paxil 20mg taper (3% every 15 days). 22 Aug 2019 updose to 10mg (was at 8.4mg).

25th Sept 2019 To April 2020 : found SA, holding at 10mg Paxil. 

April 2020 : Paxil 10mg to Prozac 7mg bridge. Details topic/21457

Current Supplements : magnesium citrate + fish oil

Current medication :

* 7pm Diazepam  : 0.85mg (15 Aug 2022) / 0.95 mg (24 April 2022) / 1mg Diazepam (since 29 Aug 2020)

* 8am Prozac : 6.16mg (25 oct 2022, feel awful, slight updose) / 6.08 mg (9 oct 2022) / 6.24mg (11 July 22) / 6.44mg (22 May 22) / 6.64mg (4 Nov 21) / 6.72mg (8 oct 21) / 6.8 mg (15 Sept 21)6.88mg (14 Aug 21)/ 6.92mg (23 Jun 21)

I am not a professional, I don't give medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

• Administrator

What time of day do you take Lexapro?

Perhaps tomorrow, you can take 4 drops? (A 0.5mL-1mL oral syringe that measures in milligrams is preferable.)

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Hi Erell and Altostrata,

The heart racing started with the reinstatement.  I did have it before earlier on, weeks ago, but it seems to be from the reinstatement.   I reinstated on 9/1, taking 5 drops=.25 mg each day.  Prior I was feeling quite clear, now I feel like I'm in a strange world, disconnected.

Feeling so ambivalent and not knowing what to do.  Crying , crying, trying to be professional at work.  Luckily I have a very sympathetic supervisor.

can't figure out how to update the signature

this nausea and dizziness is unbearable.

when i first started the medication,  the nausea and dizziness did not start until 8 weeks after i started it.  i didn't know it was from the lexapro.  i went to my gp who prescribed it, and she diagnosed it as labrynthitis ( inflammation of the inner ear)  I believed her and suffered through months of nausea and dizziness all the time thinking it was from my ear, not knowing it was the medication.  Now going through this when trying to stop, i know for sure it was from the medication.  i don't feel strong enough to get through this.  

• Moderator Emeritus
3 hours ago, Melzap said:

can't figure out how to update the signature

Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature

This link goes straight to your signature.  Remember to Save.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Thank you Chessie Cat

i just read the information about daily log.  i will start doing a better job of that today, it will be extremely beneficial.  

Today so far

4am woke with feeling anxiety/did breathing exercises for at least 1 hour, eventually fell back asleep

6:30 am woke feeling afraid to get up, worried about how i will feel today and if i will be ok did breathing exercises eventually fell back asleep

7:30 am alarm goes off in the middle of a dream, getting ready for work, very anxious and ambivalent about how much lexapro to take

• Moderator Emeritus
10 hours ago, Melzap said:

Today so far

4am woke with feeling anxiety/did breathing exercises for at least 1 hour, eventually fell back asleep

6:30 am woke feeling afraid to get up, worried about how i will feel today and if i will be ok did breathing exercises eventually fell back asleep

7:30 am alarm goes off in the middle of a dream, getting ready for work, very anxious and ambivalent about how much lexapro to take

Please post a 24 hour period in one go.  It makes it easier to compare days.  Thanks.

Please include when you took your drug/s and supplement/s and the dose you took.

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

• Moderator Emeritus

((((((Melzap))))))

Day 4 today!!!!  Any improvements?  I did see one report of nauseau and then DP/DR.

Did you get some of the 1 mL syringes? 

I'm not sure I trust the drops(gtts) as much as a syringe!

With the 1 to 1 solution, you would just take between the 2nd and 3rd tick mark to get .25 mg.

Take it the same time everyday.  And yes, then include it in your notes too.

You.....are......a trooper........doing breathing exercises with the 4am cortisol(probably) awakening, and then more sleep and off to work you go!

Hi  and thank you Chessie Cat and Manymoretodays,

Sorry about the wacky updates.

Yes I got the 1ml syringe.  I compared it to the drops and it was almost exactly the same.  Will use the syringe now.

I feel extremely bad today.  slightest tilt of my head causes extreme dizziness, feels like my movements are disjointed. Crying on and off all day at work.  just finishing up and going to go home now.  yesterday I felt a bit brighter.  

Felling like i drank a ton of caffeine heart racing.  i haven't had coffee for 20 years, nor any other caffeinated drinks. 

trying to stay optimistic

listening to all optimistic music while at work

• Moderator Emeritus

I just experimented too and the 5 gtts was the same as 0.25 mL.

You could try just to the 0.4 mL next dose.  Which would be 0.4 mg. 

NOTE:  Please see this post for correction about dosage.

And then.....today is just day 3. 

But.....I'm sure glad you started real low with this trial.

What about the brain zaps?  Any change? 

Edited by ChessieCat
added correction note

Hi Manymoretodays

I'm not sure what you are suggesting?  To go up from .25 to .4?  Or do you mean to do 4 gtts?

I still have a constant buzzing, showering of sparks, so hard to describe, but the sharp zaps when moving my eyes to the side have passed thank God.   I feel very confused and upset at myself that I didn't do a slower taper after 2.5 mg.  Then I might not be here now.  I don't know what to do at this point.  

This is infinitely more difficult than quitting smoking was.  I feel like hitting myself in the back of the head- which I won't or pulling my hair out-which I won't.  I am trying constantly to redirect my thoughts and focus on the positive.  Somethings are much better, no more having a hard time talking nor feeling like I'm slurring my words, and the sharp zaps have seemed to pass. 

Thank you for your kindness and concern it really helps.

• Moderator Emeritus
2 hours ago, manymoretodays said:

I just experimented too and the 5 gtts was the same as 0.25 mL.

You could try just to the 0.4 mL next dose.  Which would be 0.4 mg.

And then.....today is just day 3. 

But.....I'm sure glad you started real low with this trial.

What about the brain zaps?  Any change? 

42 minutes ago, Melzap said:

I'm not sure what you are suggesting?  To go up from .25 to .4?  Or do you mean to do 4 gtts?

Oh no!  My error!  Good Lord, I am glad I peeked on back.

You've got the 1 mg per 1 mL solution right?

I am glad you caught that and asked.  I definitely don't want you to go up in dose right now.

I think I meant to type 0.2 mL.  Which would be 0.2 mg.  And a slight reduction.

And was thinking in the gtts......which yes, would be 4 gtts.

And quit beating yourself up over what was done in the past.  Oh wow, improvement in some areas below :

42 minutes ago, Melzap said:

This is infinitely more difficult than quitting smoking was.  I feel like hitting myself in the back of the head- which I won't or pulling my hair out-which I won't.  I am trying constantly to redirect my thoughts and focus on the positive.  Somethings are much better, no more having a hard time talking nor feeling like I'm slurring my words, and the sharp zaps have seemed to pass. 

I think it's just too darn soon to tell.  Today being day 3 and all.  I hear your anxiety around it all.  Try and do the notes.  You've got several eyes looking out for your posts and updates.  You are not alone.  B)❤️

When did you quit smoking?  And have a super labor day weekend!

Edited by manymoretodays

• Administrator

How much of the drug are you taking now?

If you feel it's too strong, perhaps you might take a little less.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

saturday 9/5

3:00 am wake heart racing, very agitated try breathing exercises read until 6:00 am

6:00 am try to fall back asleep

7:30 am wake up feel heavy

Morning  crying/ trying to function

9:30 take .15 mg,  immediately feel heavy ( down from initial trial reinstatement of .25)

10:00 am talk to friend feel optimistic

1:00 pm try jogging, body feels heavy like lead

3:00 pm heart racing feel nauseated and dizzy

5:00 pm temper tantrum, punching couches crying

7:00 pm cooking dinner  feeling ok  hopeful

evening with son working on project/ watch tv

11:00 pm go to sleep

Sunday 9/6

3:30 am wake extremely dizzy and nauseated, room feeling tipsy, try to do breathing to fall back asleep, decide to do this update

5:00 am trying to go back to sleep

question:  my friend suggested I take  L tryptophan, ideas about this?

Thank you

• Moderator Emeritus

From what I can see I think you have just made a reduction in your Lexapro as Alto suggested.  SA recommends only making one change at a time.

Adding in anything new at this time will complicate things.  If you start something new and things change, either for better or worse, you will not know what has caused the change.

the-rule-of-3kis-keep-it-simple-keep-it-slow-keep-it-stable

3 minutes ago, Melzap said:

question:  my friend suggested I take  L tryptophan, ideas about this?

There are many existing topics on SA.  I like to use a search engine and add site: survivingantidepressants.org to my search term.

Please do a drug interaction check for Lexapro and 5-htp:  Drug.com Interactions Checker

5-htp-5-hydroxytryptophan-and-l-tryptophan

i decided not to take the L tryptophan based on your suggestion to keep it simple

sunday 9/6

3:30 am wake feeling very nauseated and dizzy

around 6:00 fall back asleep

8:00 wake

9:30 take .20 mg

feeling more stable and optimistic during the day

spend the day with my son playing frisbee and bike riding

working on his projects

only a little crying behind the scenes

less anxiety

11:00pm go to sleep

• Moderator Emeritus

i decided not to take the L tryptophan based on your suggestion to keep it simple

👍

less anxiety

👍

Just be careful not to overdo the physical exertion.  Gently exercise can be helpful, over-exerting might cause an increase in symptoms.

Thank you Chessie Cat

A new symptom appeared, buzzing/ tingling in the bottom of my right foot.

Monday 9/7

3:00 am wake feeling very anxious/ do breathing exercises/ try to settle down

sometime fall back asleep

7:00 wake feeling anxious/ low  motivation

9:30 take .2 mg

pretty much crying/ angry/ anxious all day

not present nor focused

very dizzy and nauseated in the evening

discouraged

trying to be optimistic

• Moderator Emeritus
9 hours ago, Melzap said:

A new symptom appeared, buzzing/ tingling in the bottom of my right foot.

Possibly:

On 9/7/2020 at 10:01 PM, Melzap said:

See:  exercise-do-more-do-less-do-nothing-what-worked-for-you

Hi Chessie Cat,

Thank you for the link about the exercise.  I will be mindful of that. I am doing each day the morning of the day after so it is the whole day posted.

Tuesday 9/8

3:00 wake do breathing exercises fall back asleep

7:30 get up

8:00 go for a walk

9:00 take .2 mg

Work all day/ able to focus/  crying on and off / still dizzy with slight movement of head/ nausea not so bad

2:00 counseling session/ big emotional release

back to work

Evening good mood cooking eating being with son and husband

10:00 bed

• Moderator Emeritus

How are you doing Melzap?

i had a couple really rough days with panic attacks and little to no sleep that's why i did not post on here

i'm hoping to get sleep tonight and I'll keep you updated

thank you for checking in on me

also i have diarrhea like water( is that too much information?)

thank you

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Melzap,

And that's okay, reporting the diarrhea.  I'm only seeing the one day of notes, 8 days ago.

Which was a pretty good day.  Good focus is great! 

Have you stayed with the reinstatement?

Were you having occasional night time panics with insomnia before reinstatement and some bursts of GI symptoms?

Melzap, your user name is also a clonazepam(klonopin) drug!  You ARE creative.  Are you using any other drugs right now?

Fingers crossed that you are doing well, even with the Windows and Waves, and neuroemotions of early withdrawal.

Do keep us posted, when you can.  It could potentially help another with a similar history.

Thank you.

L, P, H, and G,

mmt