luvoxvictim: Quit Luvox over a year ago, now have allergy symptoms. Anyone else?

luvoxvictim

Hi, I quit 50 mg of Luvox in February of 2016 and ever since my nose runs constantly. Has anyone else quit antidepressants and had a similar reaction? Why does this happen? I know antidepressants do act on histamine somewhat, but I wouldn't assume they effect histamine enough to prevent allergy symptoms.

Edited by scallywag
tags

Luvox - 2011 - Feb 2016

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi LV,

Welcome to SA.

So that we know your history please create a drug signature Create Your Signature.  Please include details for the last 12-18 months of  all drugs, dates, doses and discontinuations & reinstatements.  If you can't remember dates, please write it as "early March" or "mid-August".  Please provide a summary of any drugs prior to that which can just be listed with start and stop years. Please include all prescription, non-prescription drugs and supplements you are currently taking. Phone Instructions:  Withdrawal History Signature. Please also remember to update it with date and dose whenever make a change so that it remains current. Thank you.

It's interesting that you have posted about this because another member was discussing something similar in the last couple of days.

Here are a couple of topics:

allergies-and-overactive-immune-system  see Post #8

antihistamines-and-what-to-use-for-allergy-relief

Dr Joseph Glenmullen's WD Symptoms Checklist

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Hi LV,

Welcome to SA.

So that we know your history please create a drug signature Create Your Signature.  Please include details for the last 12-18 months of  all drugs, dates, doses and discontinuations & reinstatements.  If you can't remember dates, please write it as "early March" or "mid-August".  Please provide a summary of any drugs prior to that which can just be listed with start and stop years. Please include all prescription, non-prescription drugs and supplements you are currently taking. Phone Instructions:  Withdrawal History Signature. Please also remember to update it with date and dose whenever make a change so that it remains current. Thank you.

It's interesting that you have posted about this because another member was discussing something similar in the last couple of days.

Here are a couple of topics:

allergies-and-overactive-immune-system  see Post #8

antihistamines-and-what-to-use-for-allergy-relief

Dr Joseph Glenmullen's WD Symptoms Checklist

Hi, thank you so much for this info. I actually used an antihistamine nasal spray for 4 days recently to treat the runny nose, but it didn't do anything for me so I stopped taking it. I guess it looks like I screwed up and now have to start all over again on my withdrawal process because antihistamines are the same thing as antidepressants :(

Luvox - 2011 - Feb 2016

I took a drug called Zofran for nausea twice just after I had surgery a few months ago. I just realized that it increases serotonin. I took it after I had been off my antidepressant, Luvox, for a year. Did I completely reverse any of the healing my brain has done since getting off Luvox? How much did I set myself back?

Luvox - 2011 - Feb 2016

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi LV, welcome to SA.  What symptoms did you have after taking the zofran? 

Do you still have symptoms?  Did you have a general anaesthetic or antibiotics? 

There could be a few things that have caused a reaction, or all of them together.

Did you taper Luvox? How ling did you take it? 

I am sorry for all the questions, they will probably seem irrelevent but they will help us to answer your questions.

Surgery takes time to recover from, it is a trauma and can upset the nervous system, especially with all the drugs involved but can be life changing once recovered. 

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

Hi LV, welcome to SA.  What symptoms did you have after taking the zofran? 

Do you still have symptoms?  Did you have a general anaesthetic or antibiotics? 

There could be a few things that have caused a reaction, or all of them together.

Did you taper Luvox? How ling did you take it? 

I am sorry for all the questions, they will probably seem irrelevent but they will help us to answer your questions.

Surgery takes time to recover from, it is a trauma and can upset the nervous system, especially with all the drugs involved but can be life changing once recovered. 

I didn't have any symptoms that were induced by the Zoran at all, but my symptom of insomnia has remained a year 15 months after getting off Luvox.

Insomnia is my main withdrawal symptom.

I was given propafol as an anesthetic, but no antibiotics

I tapered luvox over 11 weeks. I was on it for 3 years or so. I have been on and off antidepressants for 25 years. The insomnia began 10 years ago when I cold turkeyed celexa. I have been cold turkeying drugs ever since because they never fixed my insomnia

Luvox - 2011 - Feb 2016

• Moderator Emeritus

Insomnia is a problem for many of us here, and is caused by the drugs and withdrawal. Every time you try a new drug, stop one or change them it shakes up the nervous system. Time will heal and things will settle down again but it is important not to experiment with drugs. Sadly doctors are too happy to prescribe drug after drug that cause more problems. 

Have you seen our sleep topics ? Sleep is a problem for me too and I am used to it now. I don't worry about it and rest in bed, relaxing and thinking about positive things. It took a lot of hard work to train my thoughts to be positive! 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/53-tips-to-help-sleep-so-many-of-us-have-that-awful-withdrawal-insomnia/

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

Hi!  So good to see someone else on here that is withdrawing from or withdrew from Luvox. I have noticed that as my dose gets lower I have more issues with allergies.  I am a nurse and one of my patient's is a retired psychiatrist and he said this is common when coming off ssris. During allergy season I have used a nettie pot with distilled water and a packet of saline rinse to help with the allergy problem without adding medications.  When I was at a higher dose of luvox, currently at 2 mg, but at that time around 40 mg I took Zofran once and had a horrible reactions, extreme panic palpitations,- so it must have had something to do with the increased serontonin you mentioned as I had taken it pre-ssri with no issues.  

zoloft 2004-08 tapered too fast(2 weeks)
Luvox 5/08 100 mg 07/10 40mg via small reductions, 08/10 39mg, 09/10 38mg, 10/10 37mg, 11/10 36mg,2/11 35mg, 5/11 34mg, 8/11 33mg, 11/11 32mg, 01/12 31mg, 03/12 30mg, 4/12 29mg, 5/12 28 mg, 8/12 27 mg, 11/12 26 mg, 1/13 25 mg, 3/13 24 mg, 4/13 23 mg,6/13 22 mg, 7/13 21 mg, 8/13 20mg, 10/13 19 mg, 11/13 18 mg, 12/13 17 mg, 1/14 16 mg, 3/14 13 mg, 9/14 10.9 mg,  1/15 10 mg, 3/15  9 mg,  5/15 8 mg. 11/15 7.12 mg.  4/16  5 mg, 6/16   4.5 mg,  9/16 4.2 mg, 1/17 3.48 mg, 2/17  3.2 mg,  4/17 2.2 mg, 5/17 2.0 mg, 6/17  1.74 mg, 7/17 1.58 mg, 9/17 1.27 mg, 11/17 1.0 mg,  1/18 0.79 mg