SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Light boxes / light therapy for depression and sleep disorders

Hopeful

This may be to old to ask but this stood out for me, 

Unfortunately a couple of yrs. ago my P doc upped my dose of Wellbutrin which eliminated he need of the light box....

I am on wellbutrin and the mornings are hard for me.  I have had a box for many years but did not use it last year.  I am considering using it again this season.  My doctor suggested it based on my low levels of vitamin D, not for depression.  

June 1995 Zoloft

August 1997 - to June 2017 various SSRIs

August 2000  -November 2000 - Stopped abruptly for pregnancy (returned to depressed state, serious withdrawal symptoms including raging anger, crying, loss of interest in life)

November 2000 returned to SSRI

2008 Added Cymbalta to SSRIs

June - September 2009 - stopped Cymbalta after discussing with p-doc.  Not told about tapering.  Nausea, dizziness, brain zaps, raging anger and depression for about 3 months

2011 switched to Lexapro, added Wellbutrin 

June 2017 began to taper off Lexapro doses of 10 mg,  reduced to 5 mg for 2 weeks and then 5 mg every other day - off by July 10 

July 2017 300 mg Wellbutrin, dealing with withdrawal from Lexapro

2013- September  2017 - Omeprazole - Learned my GERD was caused by Lexapro  - now happily off without rebound or any pain!

• 1 month later...
On 1/13/2016 at 9:26 AM, Rockingchaircat said:

For those who are interested I have been using a Verilux (appropriately named) Happy Light. http://www.verilux.com/light-therapy-lamps/happylight-6000/

I've been using it twice a day- 30 minutes in the morning, 30 minutes in the evening. I followed the manuals recommendation- kept within 1-2 feet of my eyes, above eye level and off to one side. Go for one about 10,000 lumen/lux. And be sure it's a full spectrum light.  Bascially it sits next to my computer viewscreen.

this is a very good thread - I read every word and followed the links and was trying to "multi-quote" but can't manage to.

I am going to order a Verilux Happy Light off amazon today, just a question of which one. I am mindful of starting low and going slow, as the last thing I need is more anxiety and insomnia.

but I have always felt worse in winter and think light therapy might help. it's worth $100 to try! 

Edited by JackieDecides
typo

Currently taking Ramapril (blood pressure) 5 mg twice a day

Omeprazole 10 mg AM and 20 mg PM  (the taper has gone nowhere after the first cut)

Famotidine   once a day (and I still needs tums sometimes)

magnesium 200 mg at night

as of yesterday 2 fish oil capsules "EPA-DHA 1000"

off Lexapro as of 5/2018  - last dose had been 5 mg every other day for a couple years

highest dose had been 20 mg at which point I was diagnosed with Bipolar II, which went away when I cut the lexapro down to 15 mg. 

I spent years on Paxil before Lexapro (can't remember dose), briefly on Effexor and Abilify and others I have forgotten. in fact, when I was diagnoses with BPII I was put on all kinds of things which made me feel so bad I stopped them cold turkey within maybe 3 or 4 weeks, thank goodness. since then I've known these pills were terrible and I weaned down the Lexapro with zero help or support over I'm not sure how many years. 

• 2 months later...
On 4/28/2011 at 6:44 PM, Hopeful said:

I was warned by a doctor that they can cause mania…I never had that problem with it.

Obsessed with the fact that your Dr. warned you about the light box but look at us all in w/d😂😭 thanks Doc!

Rachel - 1998-2012 Prozac 20mg

2012-2014 Prozac 40mg

Sept 17 Remeron 15mg, March ‘18 7.5mg

Jan 31 - Feb 13 1/4 - 1mg Ativan

Jan 31 - feb 5 - 2mg Prozac, 4mg feb 7

feb 10 - 10mg rem, Feb 27 - 7.5mg rem

Feb 27 - March 6th - 5mg Baclofen 

March 12th - Keppra 250mg

March 24 - 30mg phenobarbital 

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/4/2018 at 8:34 AM, JackieDecides said:

I am mindful of starting low and going slow, as the last thing I need is more anxiety and insomnia.

somewhere else I posted I had been using my Happy Light and thought there was an improvement but it was subtle. that was awhile ago, and I'd been using it for an hour most mornings. at some point things changed, not sure what happened first but I'd stopped using it mostly because my insomnia improved so I didn't have an hour to spare in the morning. (like today I slept in until 4:45 AM!) and also, I have been having increased anxiety.

this morning - not having used the light in maybe a week - I used it for 30 minutes and YIKES I'm sure my anxiety went up. so now it's almost 7 AM and I'm having a cup of sleepytime tea while getting ready for work! 😒

my point is, the light can really have an affect. I guess that's good, since that's what I bought it for. 

since this is my first winter in DECADES without being on an SSRI I was worried I might have a major depression and that's why I got the light. 

not sure what I'm going to do now, but not use it when I'm having increased anxiety, I guess. if that goes away I'll try it again.

if??  of course I mean when. feelings just FEEL like they are forever. 

Omeprazole 10 mg AM and 20 mg PM  (the taper has gone nowhere after the first cut)

off Lexapro as of 5/2018  - last dose had been 5 mg every other day for a couple years

highest dose had been 20 mg at which point I was diagnosed with Bipolar II, which went away when I cut the lexapro down to 15 mg. 

I spent years on Paxil before Lexapro (can't remember dose), briefly on Effexor and Abilify and others I have forgotten. in fact, when I was diagnoses with BPII I was put on all kinds of things which made me feel so bad I stopped them cold turkey within maybe 3 or 4 weeks, thank goodness. since then I've known these pills were terrible and I weaned down the Lexapro with zero help or support over I'm not sure how many years. 

• Moderator Emeritus
4 hours ago, JackieDecides said:

this morning - not having used the light in maybe a week - I used it for 30 minutes and YIKES I'm sure my anxiety went up.

Use it for a short period of time and build back up slowly.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

7 hours ago, ChessieCat said:

Use it for a short period of time and build back up slowly.

thank you, I will try it. 

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone,

I'm curious about light therapy since Ive read some good things about it. There isnt much

research out there yet but its well known to have effect on *Seasonal affective disorder (SAD) as well as erectile dysfunction (both "proven"). 

So I have some questions for you out there that have tried it.

For long did you try it?

What benefits did you see?

If you stopped with it, why?

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2913518/

2015june psyc ward due to psychosis

10 days 10mg zyprexa. stopped cold turkey. side effects were blinking eyes, eyes shut down by themself when going to sleep, restless,hunger. I had natural sleep (6hrs) before zyprexa. Slept exact 8hours with zyprexa.

2015july one month after cold turkey(had own sleep during this time exact 8hours every night, felt like zyprexa sleep even though i didnt take it) I lost my sleep over a night and it never came back. 0hours for 7-10days before I had to reinstate zyprexa on 5mg first 2days 10mg 1week 5mg 1week and then stopped CT. maybe also had 7.5 and 2.5 some days dont remember.

2015sept/october 3weeks Nitrazepam 1w Theralen build of sleep

2016may psyc ward psychoziz. Trilafon injection Immovan 3weekz

2016june 1week theralen had some extra sleep but realised its just pushing problem forward i guess

2019 Ive now been medicine free for almost 2.5 years (I think last Trilafon injection was 2016 October) and still not fully recovered. I believe my overdose on Zyprexa (20mg + injection) did most damage. 

• 11 months later...

Hello,

I just wanted to share my positive experience with light box therapy.  I started it a couple of weeks ago, hoping it would help sleep.  The disappointing news is that it hasn't helped my sleep much.  I noticed maybe a couple days after starting though, that my mood was much improved!  I also had more energy, and seemed less emotionally reactive.  And, I swear, I also noticed  a cognitive improvement! (quicker mentally, memory better, learning easier) My anxiety also seems significantly better. (Not sure if the reduced anxiety is from light therapy or a change in my life.). I use it 20 to 30 minutes in the morning.  I sit about a foot and a half to two feet away from it, and although I'm facing it, I don't look directly into the light.  It can damage your eyes if you do.  Had a little eye irritation from it, so cut down from 30 minutes to 20 minutes.  Please be careful if you have bipolar disorder, as it can trigger a manic episode. I'm using SunTouchPlus powered by skyeffect, and the box says nature bright on it. I had a friend give it to me, but I think they run about 70 bucks.  It has a switch to emit ions on it also.  I don't use the ions though because I read that it might have some negative health consequences.  Maybe check with your doctor to see if light box therapy is a good alternative.  I believe it is recommended to get one that has at least 10,000 lumens.

Prozac 1989-2005    Citalopram 2005-2009    Citalopram 2010-2014

Cymbalta 2015-Currently taking   Trazodone 2015(several months)   Citalopram 2015-2016   Gabapentin 300 mg. 2015-2016 (brief Klonopin to taper off Gabapentin)

Citalopram 60 mg. April 2016-end of August 2016 (Actually was on 80 mg. briefly)

Cymbalta 30 mg. late Sept 2016, increased to 60 mg. late Oct 2016-May 2017, decreased to 50 mg. (no withdrawals!), decreased 50 mg. to 40 mg. mid Feb. 2018 (very bad withdrawals !), increased to 50 mg.(minus 20 beads) Feb. 18th, decreased to 40 mg. Feb. 21st, increased to 50 mg. (minus 10%) Feb. 26th, decreased to 50 mg. (minus 30 beads) March 17th- present  

Escitalopram 5 mg. early May 2017-early Feb. 2018    Citalopram 30 mg. early Feb. 2018 -July 18, 2018.  Reinstatement of Citalopram 1 mg. (.5 ml) August 16, 2018, decreased to .45 ml September 25, 2018

• 11 months later...

Is light therapy useful and alternative to drugs?

Hello,

About light therapy for depression and anxiety:

is there any one here using it? 

is there any side effects like drugs? (in start and end using) ,, 

drugs need to about 2 weeks before positive effect starting. 

is light therapy need to follow with doctor? 

is there any risks if i use it by myself to try?

Thank you

Edited by ChessieCat
added topic title before merging with existing topic

(The dates or durations are experimental after research and reference to some sources)

st john's wort 300 mg (6 months) , Prozac 20 mg (1 year)

Effexor 150 mg + dogmatil 50 mg (6 years)
1 year cepralex 10 mg , wellbutrin 3 month , pristiq 8 months
valdoxan 3 month, lamictal 6 months
stop 1 year

now stelazine 1mg since 9-2020

thinking to take brintellix 2.5 mg or less for anxiety 

Also i need to ask is sunlight enough? is light box different not like normal light?

Edited by ChessieCat
unbolded text

(The dates or durations are experimental after research and reference to some sources)

st john's wort 300 mg (6 months) , Prozac 20 mg (1 year)

Effexor 150 mg + dogmatil 50 mg (6 years)
1 year cepralex 10 mg , wellbutrin 3 month , pristiq 8 months
valdoxan 3 month, lamictal 6 months
stop 1 year

now stelazine 1mg since 9-2020

thinking to take brintellix 2.5 mg or less for anxiety 

• Moderator Emeritus