SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Pedroknopfler: How many percent of people have PSSD vs does not have it?

Pedroknopfler

Hi. I took citalopram for 5 years. I had sexual problems during treatment, but when i got off citalopram sexual sinthoms got worse (problems with erection, libido, numbness...)

Sometimes i think that all people that took SSRI get PSSD, and i would like to know if there are people here that took SSRI for a long period but have a normal sex response despite other kind of sinthoms, or is PSSD common to all people in withdrawal?

Edited by scallywag
tags

Hi Ped,

Welcome to sa.

Good question

I think you might find a review of the literature reveals between 30 and 60% experience sexual dysfunction.

imo whatever numbers are thrown around they will at the end of the day be heavily understated and if pharma give frequency %'s you can guarantee one thing...they are definitely understated to such an extent you could safely assume they are lying.

I will soon be 7 yrs drug free and i have seen no improvement in this area.

Read the quote from Healy in my sig. Healy is spot on accurate.

How many people out of the millions who are trapped on these drugs were warned of this dark side of these chemicals,(often not revealed until they get off the drug)  i know i wasnt and i would think i am not alone. Future generations will look back in horror at this crime against humanity. And many future generations will not even exist because of this crime against humanity.

nz11

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

I was on lexapro for 3y, recently stopped, Im 1 month off, being experiencing constant arousal-like synmptom, and difficulty to get/maintain erection, IM scared to death! of this hell persisting... mainly the arousal-like symptom!!

Im still only a month off, and had experienced this before so... lets see

Paroxetine 40mg from 2005 to 2013,
between 2007 - 2009 I stopped cold turkey, no problems, less than a week with brain zaps and thats it
2009 started taking Paroxetine again
2013 easy transition to Lexapro 15mg + Wellbutrin XL 300
2015 dropped Wellbutrin without problems
04/2017 transition to Pristiq taking 7,5mg of Lexapro + 25mg of Pristiq, than dropped Lexapro
bad things starting,
05/2017 stopped Pristiq, being in hell!

05/14/2017 -> Most of the symptoms ceased, constant arousal like sensation and erectyle disfunction appeared. Anxietys on the roof, dread thoughts. Using a little bit of bromazepam.
Reinstated LexaPro + Wellbutrin
08/2017 -> tappered fast both
05/2018 -> SEVERE worsening, keep getting worse

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Pedroknopfler, welcome to SA. 

We have a topic on PSSD where people are discussing the problem. You might find it interesting. As the nervous system heals normal function returns.

Unfortunately we can't give a timeframe because everyone heals at their own rate. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/52-post-ssri-sexual-dysfunction-pssd

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

I was on lexapro for 3y, recently stopped, Im 1 month off, being experiencing constant arousal-like synmptom, and difficulty to get/maintain erection, IM scared to death! of this hell persisting... mainly the arousal-like symptom!!

Im still only a month off, and had experienced this before so... lets see

Had you experience this before and what happened? Did It solve by time, even erections?

We have a topic on PSSD where people are discussing the problem. You might find it interesting. As the nervous system heals normal function returns.

Unfortunately we can't give a timeframe because everyone heals at their own rate.

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/52-post-ssri-sexual-dysfunction-pssd

I know the topic on PSSD but what i'm looking for here is what amount of people gets PSSD (during medication or when they stoped It) vs people Who don't get It.

I have not yet found anyone who has taken ssri in the past and says that he works well sexually now. So I'm assuming that this is a symptom that suffers the whole world here, only that there are people who have other symptoms more debilitating that do not give too much importance to pssd. What do you think?

I know the topic on PSSD but what i'm looking for here is what amount of people gets PSSD (during medication or when they stoped It) vs people Who don't get It.

I have not yet found anyone who has taken ssri in the past and says that he works well sexually now. So I'm assuming that this is a symptom that suffers the whole world here, only that there are people who have other symptoms more debilitating that do not give too much importance to pssd. What do you think?

I have been suffering PSSD for three months. I'm astonished that SSRIs are still prescribed. I'm also astonished that the medical profession who prescribe these don't seem aware of it and then don't believe the patient. I agree that it must be at least 30% who suffer. The problem is that the medical profession don't record it, they diagnose

other issues such as anxiety and as a result patients give up trying to find a solution. I also suspect that many patients don't know they've got it or are too embarrassed to report it. I often think that the medical profession are surprised at how open I am discussing this issue where others would be uncomfortable. They also underestimate the impact this has on sufferers. MamaP is right, WE WILL HEAL

2017 10mg Citalopram for two weeks.

• 10 months later...

I did not stop but went up and down in paxil. When I was on it for only a few years and I went down in my doses I always had the opposite of PSSD.

Now I went down and I still have the opposite of PSSD, but not as much as in earlier years. I did never stop totally though, and am at the beginning of my tapering, so I can't help you there. 

1999 _ 2004    20-40 mg paxil

2005 - 2016    from 40 up to 50 mg and then to 60mg              

jan 2018          down to 50 mg

march 2018    down to 40mg

april 8 2018    up to 50mg

April 9 2018    adjust to 42mg