Storing Capsules, Tablets, or Liquids -- Look for Expiration Date!

Elexis

Hi,

So I've been storing my spare Prozac capsules in the bathroom, just started on a pack that I've had in there for about a year.

I've recently read that storing tablets in a place of high humidity is a bad idea. The capsules are kept in their original packaging (foil holder inside a cardboard box) and I haven't noticed any change in their appearance or an increase in symptoms since using them but since they've been stored in the  bathroom would I be better getting rid of them and getting a fresh batch?

Thanks

Amitriptyline - 60mg, since 2011

Lyrica - 200mg since 2014

Prozac - 25mg/day 9 months in 2015. 1mg day since 2016.

Promethazine - 25mg, since 17 April 2020

Herbal nytol - since 2018

Alverine Citrate - 120mg twice a day since 2012

5htp - 50mg April 4th-21st. reinstated at 25mg May 27th. Off at 5mg 19th August. Reinstate 2.5mg 26th Aug.

Should have made clear the capsules are in blister packs, I don't know if that makes them immune to humidity though...?

5htp - 50mg April 4th-21st. reinstated at 25mg May 27th. Off at 5mg 19th August. Reinstate 2.5mg 26th Aug.

• Moderator Emeritus

I can't say about the humidity issue, but it in doubt get a fresh pack - it's a much better option.

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 Now on 7 micro-beads of Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

• Administrator

Look carefully on each pack for the expiration date. If it's very much past, you'll want to get new capsules.

You'd be able to see if the humidity got into the capsules, they'd be corroded. In that case, do not take them.

It's better to store capsules in a cool, dry place, out of the light.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Thanks for the replies guys :)

The capsules expire in 2019 and I've had a good look at them and can't see any signs of discolouration or damage from the humidity. I'm guessing this means they're probably alright? I'm going to get a replacement pack just in case but will have to take these until then. Hopefully should be okay.

• Altostrata changed the title to Storing Capsules, Tablets, or Liquids -- Look for Expiration Date!

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy