Sign in to follow this  
Elexis

Storing Capsules, Tablets, or Liquids -- Look for Expiration Date!

Elexis

Hi,

So I've been storing my spare Prozac capsules in the bathroom, just started on a pack that I've had in there for about a year.

I've recently read that storing tablets in a place of high humidity is a bad idea. The capsules are kept in their original packaging (foil holder inside a cardboard box) and I haven't noticed any change in their appearance or an increase in symptoms since using them but since they've been stored in the  bathroom would I be better getting rid of them and getting a fresh batch?

Thanks

Elexis

Should have made clear the capsules are in blister packs, I don't know if that makes them immune to humidity though...?

KarenB

I can't say about the humidity issue, but it in doubt get a fresh pack - it's a much better option.

Altostrata

Look carefully on each pack for the expiration date. If it's very much past, you'll want to get new capsules.

You'd be able to see if the humidity got into the capsules, they'd be corroded. In that case, do not take them.

It's better to store capsules in a cool, dry place, out of the light.

Elexis

Thanks for the replies guys :)

The capsules expire in 2019 and I've had a good look at them and can't see any signs of discolouration or damage from the humidity. I'm guessing this means they're probably alright? I'm going to get a replacement pack just in case but will have to take these until then. Hopefully should be okay.