Kookaburra: Intro

Kookaburra

Hi all

I have been AD free since June 2015.

Have been reading lots of stuff on this site and everything is starting to make sense. What I thought was my ongoing depression and anxiety getting much worse was actually withdrawal.

The last two years have been hellish although not as bad as some reports on here which I am thankful for.

Over that period I have dealt with insomnia, memory loss, cognitive issues, tremors, hallucinations, tinnitus, massive anxiety and depression.

I feel like the worst of my symptoms are over and I am heading in the right direction. I am feeling the best I have in a long time. I have learnt to cope naturally rather than with drugs and I am ok (not perfect).

What brought me to the site is my ongoing PSSD which isn't abating and of course I am terrified it is permanent.

I do have a couple of vices that I would like advice on.

Caffeine: I drink 5 cups a day from 6.30am to the last at 3pm.

Alcohol: I drink 3-4 standard drinks on Friday, Saturday and Sunday each week (Half bottle of wine or three beers etc.) and I really enjoy this. I sit on the back porch with my partner after a hard days gardening or hiking and relax or we go out for dinner etc.

I feel I could give up the caffeine but would struggle with the alcohol as I see it as a relaxing thing.

Should I be abstaining completely?

Any replies will be greatly appreciated.

Edited by scallywag
tags

Zoloft 50 mg - May 2007 to Dec 2008 (tapered off as recommended by Dr but can't recall details)

Lexapro 10 mg June 2012 to December 2012 (then switched to Zoloft by reducing one and increasing the other)

Zoloft 50 mg - January 2013 to April 2013 (at some stage before April 2013 I threw pills away and went cold turkey)

Effexor XR 37.5mg - Feb 2015 (then switched to Zoloft after one script, no taper)

Zoloft 50 mg - March 2015 to June 2015 (cold turkey)

34 months total over 8 years.

Drug free since.

Atheist.

Hi Kookaburra, I'm so sorry to read that you suffered for the last 2 years from withdrawal and mighty impressed that you managed to stay drug-free and persevere through it despite not really linking the feelings with w.d

There are definitely folks on here that have/are struggling with pssd, so hopefully they find you with advice and support, poster 'nz11' maybe?

I'm interested in what advice you get re to caffeine use and alc, since my husband (also Australian) has recently, well, in the last week, really reduced his drinking. I must say he's really struggling! He would drink your Fri/Sat/Sun amount every night with a bit more in the weekend. Always beer and wine. He used it to help him relax after work and he misses it terribly. In fact, I'd say currently he feels that life isn't much worth the effort!

What's your reason for wanting to reduce? Does the usage have side effects you don't like? About 2 years ago I gave up a terrible sugar addiction (as in 1 kingsize bar of Cadburys chocolate every night) - it was very difficult, but I was incredibly motivated since I was suffering badly from a sharp drop in paxil, and was desperate. Knowing myself, I'd be unlikely to actually reduce/stop anything significantly unless there was an awful lot at stake :)

Great to see you hear, best of luck with this next stage xxxmollyn

Drug history

• 20mg paxil in 2001 - 4 months use  
  • 20mg paxil in 2003 - 2 months use 
  • 20mg paxil in 2008 - 8 years continuous

Withdrawal history:

• March 2014 - disastrous alternate day taper
  • Jan 2015 - 15mg to 10mg. Disaster
  • Sept 2015 -  10mg to 5mg. Disaster. Reinstated to 6mg. Relief
  • Oct 2015 - started slow 10% taper 
  • Oct 2016 - at 4mg- stop taking paxil (not recommended)

I'm not a medical professional. Seek advice from a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

• Moderator Emeritus

Perhaps try stopping the caffeine first, and see if that makes any difference after a decent length of time.  Then, if no change, you could look at reducing the alcohol. 

Just in case you didn't find our PSSD thread.  It is one of the symptoms that does seem to take longer than the rest to resolve. 

And - congrats on getting to where you where you are today!  You've done so well, and sound so aware of what you've managed to come through and where you need to go next. 

Welcome to SA,

Karen

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 December - Now on 5 micro-beads Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops. Symptoms begin to increase.

2024 April - Updosed to 6 microbeads - immediate increase in symptoms for 4 days. Decreased to 5 microbeads.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

Hi Kookaburra, I'm so sorry to read that you suffered for the last 2 years from withdrawal and mighty impressed that you managed to stay drug-free and persevere through it despite not really linking the feelings with w.d

There are definitely folks on here that have/are struggling with pssd, so hopefully they find you with advice and support, poster 'nz11' maybe?

I'm interested in what advice you get re to caffeine use and alc, since my husband (also Australian) has recently, well, in the last week, really reduced his drinking. I must say he's really struggling! He would drink your Fri/Sat/Sun amount every night with a bit more in the weekend. Always beer and wine. He used it to help him relax after work and he misses it terribly. In fact, I'd say currently he feels that life isn't much worth the effort!

What's your reason for wanting to reduce? Does the usage have side effects you don't like? About 2 years ago I gave up a terrible sugar addiction (as in 1 kingsize bar of Cadburys chocolate every night) - it was very difficult, but I was incredibly motivated since I was suffering badly from a sharp drop in paxil, and was desperate. Knowing myself, I'd be unlikely to actually reduce/stop anything significantly unless there was an awful lot at stake :)

Great to see you hear, best of luck with this next stage xxxmollyn

Thanks for the reply Molly  :)

I don't think I have side affects with the Caffeine or the Alcohol although maybe I'm kidding myself???

I'm just wondering if they are hindering my hopeful recovery from PSSD???

For your husband - I used to drink quite heavily and then gave up completely for a while when I was trying to manage my depression better. When I met my current partner she was a moderate social drinker and I found that I could drink in moderation with her without going overboard but I don't think I could have done it without a period of abstinence. I do remember stopping had it's own withdrawal symptoms that faded after time so he will adapt after a while (easier said than done).

Cheers

Zoloft 50 mg - May 2007 to Dec 2008 (tapered off as recommended by Dr but can't recall details)

Lexapro 10 mg June 2012 to December 2012 (then switched to Zoloft by reducing one and increasing the other)

Zoloft 50 mg - January 2013 to April 2013 (at some stage before April 2013 I threw pills away and went cold turkey)

Effexor XR 37.5mg - Feb 2015 (then switched to Zoloft after one script, no taper)

Drug free since.

Atheist.

Perhaps try stopping the caffeine first, and see if that makes any difference after a decent length of time.  Then, if no change, you could look at reducing the alcohol. 

Just in case you didn't find our PSSD thread.  It is one of the symptoms that does seem to take longer than the rest to resolve. 

And - congrats on getting to where you where you are today!  You've done so well, and sound so aware of what you've managed to come through and where you need to go next. 

Welcome to SA,

Karen

Thanks for the link Karen  :)

I think I will try quitting the Caffeine and see how I go.

Drug free since.

Atheist.

Nice one, thanks - I'll let him know what things will improve! At the moment he's feeling every.single.pain in his body that ever existed.

Drug history

• 20mg paxil in 2001 - 4 months use  
  • 20mg paxil in 2003 - 2 months use 
  • 20mg paxil in 2008 - 8 years continuous

Withdrawal history:

• March 2014 - disastrous alternate day taper
  • Jan 2015 - 15mg to 10mg. Disaster
  • Sept 2015 -  10mg to 5mg. Disaster. Reinstated to 6mg. Relief
  • Oct 2015 - started slow 10% taper 
  • Oct 2016 - at 4mg- stop taking paxil (not recommended)

I'm not a medical professional. Seek advice from a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

• Administrator

Welcome, Kookaburra.

You'll want to gradually decrease the caffeine, to avoid the headaches of caffeine withdrawal, which could make you very miserable.

That amount of alcohol is rather a lot for a nervous system that has been scraped by withdrawal syndrome. If I were you, I'd minimize alcohol ingestion. You need to help your nervous system find its factory settings again.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Welcome, Kookaburra.

You'll want to gradually decrease the caffeine, to avoid the headaches of caffeine withdrawal, which could make you very miserable.

That amount of alcohol is rather a lot for a nervous system that has been scraped by withdrawal syndrome. If I were you, I'd minimize alcohol ingestion. You need to help your nervous system find its factory settings again.

Thanks Altostrata  :) really appreciate the amount of work you and others have put into this site and helping people like me.

Caffeine is easy and I've already started to taper off that slowly. The more I read the more I know you're right about the alcohol but it's not so easy. I will endeavour though as libido and a healthy mind is my number one priority.

Really struggling to get my head around what to believe with PSSD. I am buoyed by success stories and then read about people saying it's incurable!!! My Doctor says anxiety/insomnia/depression when I know it's not that. I've been suicidal in the past and still had a healthy libido, I know the difference.

Cheers from Down Under.

Drug free since.

Atheist.

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome, Kookaburra.

Thanks Altostrata :) really appreciate the amount of work you and others have put into this site and helping people like me.

Caffeine is easy and I've already started to taper off that slowly. The more I read the more I know you're right about the alcohol but it's not so easy. I will endeavour though as libido and a healthy mind is my number one priority.

Really struggling to get my head around what to believe with PSSD. I am buoyed by success stories and then read about people saying it's incurable!!! My Doctor says anxiety/insomnia/depression when I know it's not that. I've been suicidal in the past and still had a healthy libido, I know the difference.

Cheers from Down Under.

2017 10mg Citalopram for two weeks.

Hi Kookaburra,

Sorry to hear you're suffering. I too have PSSD after just two weeks of SSRI's. I have an amazing wife. I stopped SSRI's in February. We must persevere and believe we will get better. With an understanding, loving wife/partner we can overcome and adapt if need be.

God Bless

C

2017 10mg Citalopram for two weeks.