papaloapan: how to detox from psychiatric drugs and eliminate side effects?

papaloapan

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey Papalopan

Right now I feel lots of anxiety, I can't stay still watching TV, I mean I can stay lie down on the couch but I have to change position or move some parts of my body because of this horrible anxiety,  like akathisya but in very low level because I don't have to stand up and walk to another room of my house. 

Also my very annoying and tiring anxiety includes the irregular strong hearbeats and breathlessness. In the meanwhile/time that I keep with this same dose every day in order to wait for my body and brain to recover from the constant changes of lithium carbonate dose I did in the past, aside of the epsom salt baths, what else can I do to decrease this horrible withdrawal symptoms? I was reading the "Symptoms and self-care"  ->  "Important topics about symptoms including sleep problems" but I'm so tired and feel so bad that I can't keep reading

First - akathisia  anxiety, restlessness- maybe you need to get up and walk around the block instead of staying and watching TV.  Just the TV can be anxiety inducing, as its job is to tell you that you "need more stuff" and induce anxiety that you don't "have more stuff."  It does its job very well.  And news is a whole other level of anxiety inducing.  Turn it off.  Read a book.  If you still can't sit still, then take a walk.

Sometimes symptoms are there to teach you new ways of being with yourself.  We got drugged first time around because we didn't understand what the symptoms were telling us.  Then we drug ourselves to deal with the situation that our symptoms were trying to get us out of.  The bad job, the toxic relationship, the draining lifestyle, or the harmful habits-of-living.

The heartbeats and breathlessness - I am still struggling with these, too.  I learned to detach them as a "physical symptom."  It's just an irregular heartbeat - it doesn't mean that I'm anxious (though it might mean that I'm stressed - which is different).  It's just a symptom.  Mine has been going on for 8 years now, so - there may be some longer consequences but I'm getting them checked out.  So far the docs are not alarmed at what can be a difficult symptom to endure.  Follow my thread to keep up on my cardiac journeys.  I think they are a consequence of the drugs and the surgeries (I cannot distinguish between the two) - but - my life is so much better without the drugs.  

Here's where I learned, "It's only a Symptom:"   Dr. Claire Weekes - Recovering from a Sensitized Nervous System

Please look into Magnesium and Omega-3 fish oil

It sounds like you could benefit best with starting with the magnesium.  Start small, build up to a full dose (maybe even a double dose, I am on a triple dose sometimes), and then add in the fish oil the same way (for psych drug survivors, I like about 6-8000 IU of quality fish oil.  This does not mean costly fish oil!).  These are excellent for soothing the nerves and hundreds of important neurotransmitter and metabolic cascades around the body.  Most of us are deficient in magnesium, and very few of us get enough Omega 3.

You had a lot - a lot - a lot - of changes in the last 3 months, and even more drasitic ones in the last 6 months.  It is important to keep steady.  Your last cut was 50%, and you did Every-other day dosing, which is destabilising.  Now you are in "time to hold, time to wait."

On this your doc is probably right: these are likely not lithium withdrawal symptoms - but instead - symptoms from your previous tapers that the lithium was "tamping down."  As you lift the lithium, you may still need to experience some of these withdrawal symptoms.  Think of it like a throttle - the lithium closes the throttle and spares you some withdrawal symptoms, but as you come off the lithium, the throttle opens up and more seem to get through.  Sorry, I don't have scientific proof of this, this is from discussions I've had with other lithium survivors.  (so your doc is wrong, too - there is a way you can still be experiencing withdrawal symptoms!)

Work on the Mag and fish oil, see if it helps.

Look into Non Drug Techniques for Coping with Emotional Symptoms.  Find a Practice which calms  and soothes you.  I am a personal fan of

7 minutes.  Just 7 minutes.  You (and I) have no excuse!

If, after you establish your daily Practice (it's like a savings account, if you put something in it every day - you will have a "bank" of resources upon which to draw later), and the mag and omega 3 - you might consider splitting your lithium dose.

Get your scales - really - you're going to need them from here on out - or - perhaps you want to learn how to do liquid tapers?

How to Make a Liquid from Tablets or Capsule

They are more precise.  I wish I'd done a liquid taper, as it is smoother and actually easier than fiddling with tiny little bits of powdered tablet.

When you get to a precise measurement, split your daily dose into 2 x 75 mg.  Move the 75 mg forward by an hour each day until you are taking them about 12 hours apart.  This gives you  more steady levels throughout the day.

Actually, this is all about 3 months worth of work here - you don't need to passively sit and suffer - there are things you can do.  Preparation makes for an excellent meal.  The same is true of tapering.  Get the prep work done (mag, omega 3, measurement system) while you are holding, and it will improve your mood because you are "doing something" about it.

I hope you see the sun today!

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

Fine post, JanCarol, well done.

Born 1945. 

1999 - First Effexor/Venlafaxine

2016 Withdrawal research. Effexor.  13Jul - 212.5mg;  6Aug - 200.0mg;  24Aug - 187.5mg;  13Sep - 175.0mg;  3Oct - 162.5mg;  26Oct - 150mg 

2017  9Jan - 150.00mg;  23Mar - 137.50mg;  24Apr - 125.00mg;  31May - 112.50mg holding;  3Sep - 100.00mg;  20Sep - 93.75mg;  20Oct - 87.5mg;  12Nov - 81.25mg;  13 Dec - 75.00mg

2018  18Jan - 69.1mg; 16Feb - 62.5mg; 16March - 57.5mg (-8%); 22Apr - 56.3mg(-2%); CRASHED - Updose 29May - 62.5mg; Updose - 1Jul - 75.0mg. Updose - 2Aug - 87.5mg. Updose - 27Aug - 100.0mg. Updose - 11Oct 112.5mg. Updose - 6Nov 125.00mg

2019 Updoses 19 Jan - 150.0mg. 1April - 162.5mg. 24 April - Feeling better - doing tasks, getting outside.  7 May - usual depression questionnaire gives "probably no depression" result.

Supps/Vits  Omega 3;  Chelated Magnesium;  Prebiotics/Probiotics, Vit D3. 

• Mentor

hi papaloapan,

I replied to your message.

I don't know of any doctors who can help you with your withdrawal symptoms.

you can try meditation, relaxation cds or videos, epsom salt baths, reading, or watching tv if you are able to.

you can try gentle exercise.

try to eat well and go to bed at the same time each day, and stay away from people or things that are too stimulating.

you will feel better in time, but sadly, that is what it will take, time.

PLEASE DO NOT SEND ME PRIVATE MESSAGES, thank you. 

• pysch med history: 1974 @ age 18 to Oct 2017 (approx 43 yrs total) 
  •  Drug list: stelazine, haldol, elavil, lithium, zoloft, celexa, lexapro(doses as high as 40mgs), klonopin, ambien, seroquel(high doses), depakote, zyprexa, lamictal- plus brief trials of dozens of other psych meds over the years
  • started lexapro 2002, dose varied from 20mgs to 40mgs. First attempt to get off it was 2007- WD symptoms were mistaken for "relapse". 
  •  2013 too fast taper down to 5mg but WD forced me back to 20mgs
  •  June of 2105, tapered again too rapidly to 2.5mgs by Dec 2015. Found SA, held at 2.5 mgs til May 2016 when I foolishly "jumped off". felt ok until  Sept, then acute WD hit!!  reinstated at 0.3mgs in Oct. 2106
  • Tapered off to zero by  Oct. 2017 Doing very well. 
  • Nov. 2018 feel 95% healed, age 63 
  • Jan. 2020 feel 100% healed, peaceful and content
  • PRESENT DAYS:  Loving life! ❤️ with all it's ups and downs ;) 

Thank you scallywag.     Can anybody recommend me a success story-recovery from withdrawal that can help me and that is from a person that took and withdrew the same or some of the drugs that I took and that I'm withdrawing ? (lithium carbonate) and also that had the same or some of the side effects that I have because of taking lithium and withdrawing it? Considering all the drugs I took in the past. (you can see them in my signature). I'm feeling very suicidal, I'm living hell right now

My side effects: breathlessness, I feel that my mouth salivates and my throat wants to swallow saliva many times but it can't do it automatically like when I used to be healthy (without psych drugs) so I have to voluntarily swallow the saliva but when I do that I feel I'm drowning (can't breathe), I feel this more when I go to bed.

Strong, fast and irregular heartbeats, anxiety, my nose gets congested/full of mucus so every 5 minutes I have to blow my nose, cough/coughing, have to pee lots of times like every 10 minutes, at night I see colored dots with my eyes closed and open, thoughts in my mind that never stop (I can't have my mind clear/calm/without thoughts), tinnnitus (noise in my ears), poor concentration (I have to ask, check and read the same many times), difficulty taking decisions, itching on my head, face, chest and back, sometimes when I stand up I feel like if the floor is moving and my tongue gets tense by involuntarily sticking to my palate. All of these causes for me to not being able to sleep (I go to bed at 12am/midnight and at 5am I'm still awake).

In 2008 I was 16 years old. 2008 - 2010 paxil, clonazepam & semisodium valproate. 2013 - 2017 many psych meds with cold switches and CT's prescribed by psychiatrists.

Nov/30/17 started quetiapine IR tablets 100mg 0-0-1. Dec/1/17 started pristiq 50mg tablets 1-0-0. Jan/14/18 started 1.5mg melatonin 0-0-1

Tramadol: 2 year well done (slow and gradual) taper: from Mar/12/18 to Feb/11/20 

Pristiq taper: Jun/15/20 Converted from pristiq 50mg to efexor xr 75mg for 57 days (felt good).  Aug/11/20 weaned to efexor 37.5mg and stayed there for 2 months with 26 days (felt good). Nov/6/20  CT 0mg of efexor xr (felt good). Total time in tapering pristiq 50mg by converting to efexor xr 75mg: 4 months with 22 days: Jun/15/20 to Nov/6/20. (felt good)

Efexor 0mg and quetiapine 100mg (Nov/6/20 to Dic/11/20) (felt good being without effexor and taking 100mg quetiapine)

Dic/11/20 quetiapine 75mg, so 75mg from Dic/11/20 to Jan/4/21  25 days. Jan/5/21 quetiapine 50mg (1 day in 50mg).

Jan/6/21 1st CT of quetiapine. Mar/1/21 CT melatonin. Felt terrible so Mar/25/21 reinstated 100mg quetiapine. 

100mg quetiapine 19 days (Mar/25/21 - Apr/13/21) Felt good while in quetiapine 100mg. 75mg quetiapine 55 days (Apr/14/21 - Jun/8/21) the 55th day (Jun/8/21)  felt hellish so CT'd quetiapine for a 2nd time on Jun/9/21. 

Jun/9/21 - Nov/16/21 1st days insomnia, anxiety, took cbd and felt very good many days (healed insomnia & anxiety), CT'd ginkgo which made me felt terrible so reinstated ginkgo. Started intolerable back pain (spasm) so tried other herbs along with cbd, then started derealization, panic, indecisiveness, nostalgia & others. Stopped taking cbd & herbs, reinstated quetiapine 75mg Nov/17/21, immediately after taking it, had severe heart palpitations, so Nov/18/21 back to cbd (no quetiapine). Nov/20/21 reinstated 75mg quetiapine (stopped cbd & herbs), severely couldn't breathe for 5 seconds after taking quetiapine 75mg so reduced to 50 mg on Nov/28/21 had new and worse and very severe adverse effects, got indecisive if CT or keep taking quetiapine because I was terrified of CT, but since the new severe adverse effects were very severe I CT, and because of indecisiveness and panic to CT, I reinstated again, then CT'd and reinstated many times, last time I was taking quetiapine it was 25mg and had severe TD, hellish anhedonia, suicidal, intrusive thoughts of imagining myself running into a wall and crashing into it and I was feeling the pain as if I was doing it in real life, involuntary thoughts of punching my face or head and shashing it against the wall and some times I did punch my face, and when I didn't, I also felt the pain just by imagining it, so definitive CT on Jul/15/22. 

Free from quetiapine and psych meds since Jul/15/22.

MY BEST ADVICE: FOLLOW SA'S GUIDELINES, DON'T CT BECAUSE IT IS HORRIFIC AND BE PATIENT TO WAIT A LONG TIME TO DO VERY SLOW AND GRADUAL TAPERS IN ORDER TO GET OFF OF YOUR MEDICATIONS, IT IS WORTH IT. THE ONLY MOMENTS WHERE IS RIGHT TO CT IS AFTER YOUR 1ST CT THAT YOU DID BECAUSE OF IGNORANCE OR IMPATIENCE, IF YOU REINSTATE AND FEEL SEVERE ADVERSE EFFECTS LIKE TD, ANHEDONIA, FEEL LIKE YOU ARE DROWNING, OR THE ONE'S I HAD, IT IS BEST TO CT IN MY EXPERIENCE, BECAUSE WHEN I REINSTATED I GOT MUCH WORSE THAN WHEN I WAS IN THE PREVIOUS CT. I'm not a doctor.

• 4 months later...

Hey do you still feel weak?no energy?

July 2017 - 3 shots = one of them haloperidol and only olanzapine 20mg  for 2 weeks , weight gained 

August 2017- waiting recovery from haloperidol , drug tapper 10mg ,weight gained , weak muscle

September 2017- drugs tapper 5mg weight gained , weak muscle

October 2017 - drugs free , no improvment from haldol   , weight gained , weak muscle

November 2017 - waiting haldol recovery since , weight gained , weak muscle

• 3 months later...
  • Moderator Emeritus
13 minutes ago, papaloapan said:

Thank you very much @ChessieCat and @ktp for replying. I want to be very sure about the pristiq 50mg and effexor xr 100mg equivalency. As I said, I read the entire topic, each and every post. I got to the pristiq 50mg = effexor xr 150mg equivalency for the majority of what people said. 50=150 had 7 persons that said was the right equivalency, and 50=100 had 5 persons that said was the right equivalency. And then, after my post, with what you guys (ChessieCat and ktp) said, now 50=100 has 8 persons that say it is the right equivalency, and 50=150 still has 7. Still, I would like for more people in this thread to tell me which equivalency they think is the right one: 50=150 or 50=100. 

Here are all the comments (of the entire topic) about the equivalency:

• Lilu: my conclusion earlier that 50 mg of Pristiq is equivalent 150 mg of Effexor is wrong. Because the 50 mg tablet, even though it might actually have 76 mg, it is still releasing 50 mg of Pristiq continuously into your system. 
  • Maybe 37.5 mg of Pristiq = 75 mg of Effexor
  • Maybe Pristiq 50mg tablet = Effexor 100mg
  • Pristiq 50mg= 100 mg Effexor
  • Effexor 150mg and Pristiq 50mg are both "normal" dosages of their respective drugs, they may be roughly equivalent
  • perhaps equivalent doses are 150 mg and 50 mg, respectively, because venlafaxine ER's NRI potential becomes noticeable at 150 mg/d, likely comparable to desvenlafaxine's 50 mg starting dose.
  • Therefore, in some efficient metabolizing patients, 75 mg of parent venlafaxine ER drug may convert to a 300 mg equivalent of desvenlafaxine. As a result, the jury is out, in that 50 mg of desvenlafaxine metabolite antidepressant might equal 75 mg, 150 mg, or 18.75 mg of the parent drug." 
  •  Using this extrapolative method, perhaps equivalent doses are 150 mg and 50 mg, respectively, because venlafaxine ER's NRI potential becomes noticeable at 150 mg/d, likely comparable to desvenlafaxine's 50 mg starting dose. 
  •  Desvenlafaxine is about 3 times stronger, mg wise, than venlafaxine. 
  • Shipko: Given the lack of research on the topic, my opinions are necessarily anecdotal, and YMMV.  Despite the Effexor XR supposedly having problems with bead tapering because not all beads contain active ingredients, I have had consistently good results bead tapering Effexor XR.  My approach is to change Pristiq to Effexor XR. For 50 of Pristiq I make an immediate substitution of 150 of the Efxr and after a few days the Efxr is decreased to 100 mg and kept stable for a week before tapering from the Efxr.
  • I didn't have ANY side effects switching from Effexor to Pristiq, or going from 50mg to 100mg
  • 50 mg of Pristiq is about the same as 150 mg of Effexor - it seems reasonable. I think that making the transition is always going to be a trial and error, and that it is best to err on the side of too much Effexor.
  • A Dr: My thoughts are that a person can change safely from 50 Pristiq to 150 Effexor
  • baroquep: from pristiq 50mg he/she went to effexor xr 75mg
  • ktp: “so if you're on 50mg Pristiq you want about 100mg effexor so take a 75mg cap + 25 beads from the next one.“ 

I think you might be trying to find a definite answer to the question of equivalent dose of Pristiq to Effexor when there isn't one.  As I responded in the Pristiq topic:

2 minutes ago, ChessieCat said:

My personal opinion is that it would be better to err on the side of too LITTLE Effexor.  When reinstating it is better to start with a low dose and updose if needed than to start too high.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• 2 weeks later...

I'm about to start tapering Pristiq 50mg by converting to Effexor XR 100mg. What I'm gonna do is to take 1 Effexor XR 75mg capsule and some weighed beads from another 75 mg capsule to complete the 100mg. In the country that I live there's no regular effexor (immediate release) therefore I can't get liquid effexor therefore my last dose of effexor XR of my tapering will be 1 daily bead because XR beads can't be splitted or crushed. Some people mentioned at the "How to taper effexor" thread, that inside the Effexor XR capsules, each bead contains 0.3mg of effexor, therefore the scale needed is one that can measure at least 0.1mg (0.0001 grams) for doing a well-done-complete 10% gradual taper. The problem is that scales that can measure 0.1 mg cost around $2,000 USD which I can't afford. Scales that can measure at least 1mg (0.001 grams) are affordable for me ($30 USD). Anyone knows where can I find an affordable scale that can measure at least 0.1mg? Or can anybody give me some advice of what to do? Maybe the only thing that I can do is to buy and use the $30 USD scale that can measure 1mg, and when I get below 1mg, I would have to taper by counting the last 3 beads, 1 month (or more time) the dose would be 3 beads (0.9mg) the next month (or maybe I should hold it for more than 4 weeks) 2 beads (0.6mg), the next dose would be 1 bead. And the next and final dose after 1 bead would be to jump to zero. Thank you so much.

In 2008 I was 16 years old. 2008 - 2010 paxil, clonazepam & semisodium valproate. 2013 - 2017 many psych meds with cold switches and CT's prescribed by psychiatrists.

Nov/30/17 started quetiapine IR tablets 100mg 0-0-1. Dec/1/17 started pristiq 50mg tablets 1-0-0. Jan/14/18 started 1.5mg melatonin 0-0-1

Tramadol: 2 year well done (slow and gradual) taper: from Mar/12/18 to Feb/11/20 

Pristiq taper: Jun/15/20 Converted from pristiq 50mg to efexor xr 75mg for 57 days (felt good).  Aug/11/20 weaned to efexor 37.5mg and stayed there for 2 months with 26 days (felt good). Nov/6/20  CT 0mg of efexor xr (felt good). Total time in tapering pristiq 50mg by converting to efexor xr 75mg: 4 months with 22 days: Jun/15/20 to Nov/6/20. (felt good)

Efexor 0mg and quetiapine 100mg (Nov/6/20 to Dic/11/20) (felt good being without effexor and taking 100mg quetiapine)

Dic/11/20 quetiapine 75mg, so 75mg from Dic/11/20 to Jan/4/21  25 days. Jan/5/21 quetiapine 50mg (1 day in 50mg).

Jan/6/21 1st CT of quetiapine. Mar/1/21 CT melatonin. Felt terrible so Mar/25/21 reinstated 100mg quetiapine. 

100mg quetiapine 19 days (Mar/25/21 - Apr/13/21) Felt good while in quetiapine 100mg. 75mg quetiapine 55 days (Apr/14/21 - Jun/8/21) the 55th day (Jun/8/21)  felt hellish so CT'd quetiapine for a 2nd time on Jun/9/21. 

Jun/9/21 - Nov/16/21 1st days insomnia, anxiety, took cbd and felt very good many days (healed insomnia & anxiety), CT'd ginkgo which made me felt terrible so reinstated ginkgo. Started intolerable back pain (spasm) so tried other herbs along with cbd, then started derealization, panic, indecisiveness, nostalgia & others. Stopped taking cbd & herbs, reinstated quetiapine 75mg Nov/17/21, immediately after taking it, had severe heart palpitations, so Nov/18/21 back to cbd (no quetiapine). Nov/20/21 reinstated 75mg quetiapine (stopped cbd & herbs), severely couldn't breathe for 5 seconds after taking quetiapine 75mg so reduced to 50 mg on Nov/28/21 had new and worse and very severe adverse effects, got indecisive if CT or keep taking quetiapine because I was terrified of CT, but since the new severe adverse effects were very severe I CT, and because of indecisiveness and panic to CT, I reinstated again, then CT'd and reinstated many times, last time I was taking quetiapine it was 25mg and had severe TD, hellish anhedonia, suicidal, intrusive thoughts of imagining myself running into a wall and crashing into it and I was feeling the pain as if I was doing it in real life, involuntary thoughts of punching my face or head and shashing it against the wall and some times I did punch my face, and when I didn't, I also felt the pain just by imagining it, so definitive CT on Jul/15/22. 

MY BEST ADVICE: FOLLOW SA'S GUIDELINES, DON'T CT BECAUSE IT IS HORRIFIC AND BE PATIENT TO WAIT A LONG TIME TO DO VERY SLOW AND GRADUAL TAPERS IN ORDER TO GET OFF OF YOUR MEDICATIONS, IT IS WORTH IT. THE ONLY MOMENTS WHERE IS RIGHT TO CT IS AFTER YOUR 1ST CT THAT YOU DID BECAUSE OF IGNORANCE OR IMPATIENCE, IF YOU REINSTATE AND FEEL SEVERE ADVERSE EFFECTS LIKE TD, ANHEDONIA, FEEL LIKE YOU ARE DROWNING, OR THE ONE'S I HAD, IT IS BEST TO CT IN MY EXPERIENCE, BECAUSE WHEN I REINSTATED I GOT MUCH WORSE THAN WHEN I WAS IN THE PREVIOUS CT. I'm not a doctor.

> inside the Effexor XR capsules, each bead contains 0.3mg of effexor, therefore the scale needed is one that can measure at least 0.1mg (0.0001 grams) fo...

you can find on ebay but YOU DON"T NEED this superfine scale, and it won't work anyway: your margin of error is greater than the weighed subject.  instead, Dissolve and Dilute!

Don't know what country you're in, or where you found 0.3mg-beads but in the USA, TEVA-manufactured Venlafaxine XR (generic for Effexor XR) comes in capsules with nicely consistent beads that have approximately 1.0 mg per bead.  very easy to count.  but eventually you'll need liquid.  so, dissolve a 75mg cap's beads in 750ml of water.  now one cc water = 0.1mg non-XR venlafaxine.  if the beads won't dissolve, try adding a bit of vinegar to mimic acid stomach.  once dissolved, your XR beads are no longer beads and are no longer XR.  so split into 2/day!

20090810 Dx GeneralAnxietyDisorder & PanicDisorder.  Rx Pristiq (desvenlafaxine) 50mg.  stable, side effects minor but blurry vision, impotence, others. http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/5418-ktp-weaning-from-4yrs-50mg-pristiq/ for more details.  

20140210 switch Pristiq50mg (can't cut them!) to Effexor (venlafaxine, V) same drug but easier dose reduction (and mfr TEVA's beads are handily ~= 1mg ea).  20140218 125mgV  0309 112mg 0401:100mg, 410:75, 0506:70, 0512:65, 0525:56, 0614:37.5, 0620:30, 0624:27, 0630:26, 0706:24, 0724:22, 0801:20, 0804:19, 0808:18, 0813:17, 0818:16, 0819:15, 0821:13, 0903:12, 0911:11, 0918:10, 0921:9, 0927:8, 1001:6, 1021:5, missed a day?, darn, it was going so well, or so I thought.  SEVERE ANXIETY, INSOMNIA. WAY TOO QUICK REDUCTIONS! hindsight: 0813:5%/5days, 0818:6%/5days, 0819:6%/1day, 0821:13%/2days, 0903: 7%/14days, 0911:8%/8days, 0918:9%/7days; 0921:10%/3days, 0927:11%/6days, 1001:25%/3days (still okay!) 1021:16%20days.  guideline is 10%/30days =  i am a self-diagnosed idiot

20141103 back to 6mgV, xanax next several days. 1111 insomnia bad, 10mgAmbien slept well. 1112 8mgV no Ambien; miserable. 1113 Ambien+xanax, tough night. 1114 Very Tired. 0.125Xanax, 25mgV at 10, better 10min later. 20141115 37.5mg V +Ambien. miserable month, still insomnia & anxiety. 1214 upped to 75mg V, ate .125Xanax. 1215 37.5mg mornings; force sleep for one week and come back". 20150115 lots of appts lots of chat but we never get to MY agenda = meds discussion.  Upping to 47.5mg mornings (no more xanax-, lunesta-forced sleep) but still anxious.  PAYING BIGTIME FOR TOO-FAST WEANING in OCTOBER 2014!  20150220 50mg V. 20150330 still anxy each am let's try reducing: 45mg V 1/day mornings. 20150511:42mg, 0611:40, 0626:39, 0710:38, 0717:37, 0731:33, 0813:32, 0915:29, 0927:28, 1004:27, 1015:26, 1101:25, 1116:22mg/day.  Still anxiety every morning, this sucks.  20151124 found a shrink who seems to get weaning: 20151125 add 10mg/day Prozac aka fluoxetine F, continue taper V to zero, then taper the F, "easier".  20151203:10mg Prozac=P 19mg V, 1213:10mgP17mgV, daily anx quieter but lurking. 1227:10mgP15mgV, 20160108:10mgP14mgV, 0124:10P13V, 0131:P10,V12. 0215 P10,V11.  0223:P10V10.  0314:P10V9. enjoying relatively quiet brain.  0407 P10V8, 0427P10V7, 0517P10V6, 0611P10V5, 0706P10V4, 0818P10V3, 0921P10V2,  1021P10V1, 20161128Prozac10mgVenlafaxine ZERO, 20170115 still anxious upped Prozac to 20mg/day, better anxiety control... 

20190301 finally stable enough to consider weaning again, started skipping one day / week.

20190501 started skipping every 3rd day so 13.3mg/day average.  several days long 1/2life must be why the docs think of prozac as 'self-tapering' i think it just means longer time between upsetting the cart and seeing apples all over the road.  skipping is bad practice, even with longlife prozac: let's do liquid: 20190902 first day of 13mg via 5ml liquid made from 13 20mg caps in 100ml water.  20190921 12mg same way(7.7%/20days).  20191010 11mg (8.3%/20days) 20191031 10mg (9.1%/20days) 20191124 9mg (10.0%/24 days) 20191213 8.5mg (5.6%/20 days) 20191231 8mg (5.9%/20days) 20200120 hit a wall?  going another 20 days at 8mg, just started Lisinopril for hypertension (caused by prozac withdrawal creating less-than-panic-grade anxiety??) and doubled atorvastatin to 40mg.  Minimizing changes in general and had a semi-panic 4am 1/20... BP still wild. 20200208 back to 9mg daily anxiety starting about 1/18.  

20200212 increase to 10mg prozac cap daily.  anxiety still there but clears within hour of drugs.  20200222 still anxy 2 hrs after 10mg, added another 1mg and mucho better.  20200223 11mg early.  anxious enough to be glad i can actually sit.  will wait another 5 days before adding another milligram. 20200229 12mg prozac still anxious.  20200317 13mgProzac still anxious.  20200610 15mgProzac.  bp under control with Losartan50mg (lisinopril cough dictates change)  

20201028 10am met w Dr S.  to switch back to Venlafaxine XR, "take 10mg prozac + 37mg VenlafaxineXR for a monththen quit prozac." i think i'll taper thanx... 
20201116 9am start 10mgProzac,37Venlafaxine,40Statin,25Losartan,81Aspirin.  20201230 5mgProzac,37Venlafaxine,40Statin,25Losartan,81Aspirin.
20210124 4mgP,37V,40S,25L,81A.  20210213 3.5mgP,37V,40S,25L,81A;  20210306 3mgP,37V,40S,25L,81A  20210328 2.5mgP,37V,40S,25L,81A; 20210501 2.0mgP,37V,40S,25L,81A;20210519 1.5mgP,37V,40S,25L,81A; 20210607 1.5mgP,37V,40S,50L,81A. 
20210614 1.0mgP,37V,40S, 50L,81A. 20210702 0.5mgP,37V,40S,50L,81A; 20210728; 0.0mgProzac,37.5Venlafaxine,40Atorvastatin50Losartan,81Aspirin; 20210917 0915am anxiety started about a week after dropping the last 0.5mg of prozac.  just took 0.10mg xanax.  20210929 1:28 PM I'm anxious after so carefully weaning off prozac - the last 0.5mg may need to come back??  instead, trying an extra cap of 37.5mg venlafaxine, let's see if there's sudden relief?  it seems possible.  fingers x'd.  not sure but 5 minutes later i think i feel better gawd i hope.  20210930 7am anxious out of bed, took drugs early and oops chewed them.  no more drugs 2day.  11:41 AM 10/1/2021 very jagged today, avoiding the shower.   took <1/6 of a .5mg xanax and still anxy at noon.  6:59 PM 10/4/2021 2nd or 3rd day of 75mg Venlafaxine  met w/ shrink 2day he says i'm doing  it right so  20210728 75.0mgVenlafaxine,40Atorvastatin,50Losartan,81Aspirin;10mgCarbidopa-Levodopa; 12/18/2021  112.5mgVenlafaxine, 40Atorvastatin, 50Losartan, 81Aspirin; 0.4mgFlowmax; 3x 25/100mgSinemet aka Carbidopa/Levodopa.    20220308 new neurologist, raising CL:  112.5mgVenlafaxine, 40Atorvastatin, 50Losartan, 81Aspirin; 0.4mgFlowmax; 4x 25/100mgSinemet aka Carbidopa/Levodopa.  possibly need to reduce losartan to avoid fainting.

• Moderator Emeritus

If you click on this link and then type "gemini" in the search bar (top right) you will find posts which discuss the Gemini Scale.

http://survivingantidepressants.org/topic/1596-using-a-digital-scale-to-measure-doses/

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

I'm about to start tapering pristiq 50mg by converting to effexor XR (pfizer patent) 100mg. I bought already a box of effexor xr 75mg. So my plan is to take one daily 75mg effexor xr capsule plus 25mg of beads from another capsule (100mg for 4 weeks) by using a digital scale to measure those 25mg of beads. But I found a problem: I went to a store to test a digital scale that can measure things of a minimum weight of 0.001g (1mg), and when I placed all of the beads of one 75mg effexor xr capsule on the scale, the scale showed that the beads weigh 0.242g (242mg). By the way, I didn't place the capsule with the beads inside, I took all the beads out of the capsule and placed all of them on the scale. So I got confused because I remember that I read in the "tapering effexor and effexor xr" thread, that capsules are measured by weigh. So, I'm thinking on doing the following , but please tell me if it's the right thing to do: by doing a rule of three or cross multiplication, or also called inverse proportion, if 75mg of effexor xr (in beads) equals to (weigh) 242mg, then 25mg of effexor xr beads equals to (weigh) 80mg (on the scale).

So in order to take 100mg of effexor XR, I would have to take one 75mg effexor xr capsule plus beads that weighed on the scale, the scale shows that they weigh 80mg (equivalent to 25mg of effexor xr). Please tell me if this is the right thing to do. I really need your help guys in order to feel sure about starting to do this, I already want to convert to effexor xr 100mg from pristiq 50mg so that then I can taper effexor xr. In the country that I live (Mexico) there is no regular effexor (immediate release). And remember that effexor XR beads can't be crushed, splitted or converted into liquid. Also in Mexico there is no TEVA-manufactured Venlafaxine XR (generic for Effexor XR capsules with nicely consistent beads that have approximately 1.0 mg per bead). Please don't suggest another way to taper pristiq (desvenlafaxine) because I read the whole topic on how to taper pristiq.

Thank you so much

Edited by ChessieCat
spacing

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi papaloapan,

Each member has only 1 Intro topic where they ask questions about their own situation and journal their progress.  This keeps a member's history in one place.  It can also help other members who can see the questions you ask and read the responses.

Please do not create any more Intro topics.  Thank you.

• Moderator Emeritus
13 minutes ago, papaloapan said:

if 75mg of effexor xr (in beads) equals to (weigh) 242mg, then 25mg of effexor xr beads equals to (weigh) 80mg (on the scale).

So in order to take 100mg of effexor XR, I would have to take one 75mg effexor xr capsule plus beads that weighed on the scale, the scale shows that they weigh 80mg (equivalent to 25mg of effexor xr).

Yes, your calculations are correct.

The easier way to calculate it for future reductions is to calculate what 1mgai equals (mgai is mg active ingredient, mgpw is mg pill weight)

Please check my calculations.

75mgai = 242mgpw

divide both sides by 75 =

1mgai = 3.2266mgpw

When you make a 10% reduction 100mg x 0.9 = 90mg

To calculate how much to weigh:

90mg - 75mg capsule = 15mg

15mgai = 3.2266mgpw x 15 = 48.3999mgpw

You will need to weight 48.4mg of beads.

Next 10% reduction 90mg x 0.9 = 81mg

81mg - 75mg capsule = 6mg

6mgai = 3.2266mgpw x 6 = 19.3596mg

For the next reduction you will not need the additional capsule.  You can still use the 1mgai = 3.2266mgpw to calculate the weight of beads you need.

Thanks a lot ChessieCat. So my next step is to buy the digital scale, the one I mentioned I tested in a store. I want to be sure of buying this digital scale that supposedly can measure things of a minimum weight of 0.001g (1mg). I weighed several times the same capsule and it varied at most 0.002g (2mg) a few times, but I think it's going to be difficult, and also It's going to take me a long time to find a digital scale that can be perfect and precise and to not have those little 2mg variations. I want to start already the conversion from pristiq 50mg to effexor xr 100mg. This scale includes a little 10g cylinder/nut/screw which is used to calibrate the scale. On the top of the nut says it weighs 10 grams. And when I placed the nut on the scale, the scale showed that it weighs 10.000 grams (if I don't place it exactly on the middle of the scale, it shows that it weighs 9.999 grams). Logically, that means that the scale does work fine. But since I've had many bad experiences in my life, it is very hard for me to trust anybody. So I would appreciate very much your opinion/thoughts/comments. Is it fine for me to purchase this scale? Thank you

• Moderator Emeritus

It sounds like the Gemini-20 scale I've been using, which I've had good results with.  I've read on this site that around 4 mg pill weight you start getting inconsistent readings.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't converted from pristiq 50mg to efexor 100mg because last monday, march 12, I got 6 teeth removed by my dentist, and he prescribed me an antibiotic and meds for pain. I write this because I remember I read bad things about tramadol which is one of the meds my dentist prescribed me. 

So he prescribed: for 5 days, every day in the morning and at night one 750mg amoxicillin tablet (antibiotic). For 3 days, in the morning, in the afternoon and at night one 30mg sublingual ketorolac tablet (analgesic). And for 3 days, in the morning and at night 15 drops of Tramadol (100mg/ml, each ml is equivalent to 40 drops) (opioid pain medication). He told me that if I still feel pain that I can continue using tramadol. So I used tramadol one more day (4 days in total till now).

And at the 4th day, for 5 days, in the morning and at night two 400mg ibuprofen tablets  (nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID)

My questions are: now that the 3 days of taking ketorolac and tramadol have passed, should I wean them off gradually? How? I'm guessing the only one that I have to wean off gradually is tramadol, but tell me please if also I have to wean off gradually ketorolac. And should I also wean off gradually the antibiotic amoxicilin?

And after taking for 5 days the ibuprofen, should I also wean it off gradually? Thank you so much.

Here is brief info about the 4 meds the dentist prescribed me: 

Ketorolac: (for pain)

Sold under the brand name Toradol among others, is a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) in the family of heterocyclic acetic acid derivatives, used as an analgesic.[1][2] It is considered a first-generation NSAID. Ketorolac acts by inhibiting the bodily synthesis of prostaglandins

Tramadol: (for pain)

Sold under the brand name Ultram among others, is an opioid pain medication used to treat moderate to moderately severe pain. It works by binding to the μ-opioid receptor and as a serotonin–norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor (SNRI).[8][9] Tramadol is in the benzenoid class. In the body it is converted to desmetramadol, which is a more potent opioid. 

Interactions: Tramadol may interact with serotonergicsmonoamine oxidase inhibitorstricyclic antidepressantsselective serotonin reuptake inhibitorsserotonin-norepinephrine reuptake inhibitorsnoradrenergic and specific serotonergic antidepressantsserotonin antagonists and reuptake inhibitorsSerotonin reuptake inhibitor (SRI) and norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor(NRI); hence, an SNRI. Tramadol is well-established as a serotonin reuptake inhibitor. In addition, a few studies have found that it also acts as a serotonin releasing agent . Tramadol is also a norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor. Inhibits the reuptake of serotonin and norepinephrine[3] due to its action on the noradrenergic and serotonergic systems, such as its "atypical" opioid activity

Amoxicillin (antibiotic)

Also spelled amoxycillin, is an antibiotic useful for the treatment of a number of bacterial infections. It is a moderate-spectrum, bacteriolytic, β-lactam antibiotic in the aminopenicillin family used to treat susceptible Gram-positive and Gram-negative bacteria.

Ibuprofen (for pain)

Is a medication in the nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) class that is used for treating painfeverinflammationpainful menstruationosteoarthritis, dental pain, headaches and pain from kidney stones. Like other NSAIDs, it works by inhibiting the production of prostaglandins by decreasing the activity of the enzyme cyclooxygenase. NSAIDs such as ibuprofen work by inhibiting the cyclooxygenase (COX) enzymes, which convert arachidonic acid to prostaglandin H2 (PGH2). PGH2, in turn, is converted by other enzymes to several other prostaglandins (which are mediators of pain, inflammation, and fever) and to thromboxane A2 (which stimulates platelet aggregation, leading to the formation of blood clots). Ibuprofen is a nonselective COX inhibitor, in that it inhibits two isoforms of cyclooxygenase, COX-1 and COX-2. The analgesicantipyretic, and anti-inflammatory activity of NSAIDs appears to operate mainly through inhibition of COX-2, which decreases the synthesis of prostaglandins involved in mediating inflammation, pain, fever, and swelling. 

Couldn't edit my last post, I wanted to add: my teeth and mouth still hurt a lot, so my dentist suggests me to keep taking the tramadol drops, so another questions is: should I change tramadol for another pain killer that can be stopped cold-turkey? Should I change  ibuprofen for another pain killer or is it fine for still taking it and for when I withdraw it cold-turkey? And maybe since I've only have taken tramadol for 4 days and each day in the morning and at night 15 drops, maybe I can quit it cold-turkey because maybe it has been a small dose (I don't know). But maybe I'll take tramadol for more days, till my pain disappears. And if I take tramadol for more days, should I wean it off gradually? How?

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi paploapan,

That's a woozy.......dental work and all those extractions.  And ouch!   Sounds miserable.

No tapering/weaning from an antibiotic is necessary.   Do take it as prescribed and for as long as prescribed.  That's your Amoxicillin. .

Why don't you just use one dose of the Tramadol today and then stop.  Take it only once a day and then stop.  There is no need to taper after 4 days of an opiate used for pain.   It does have some major interactions with both your Pristitiq and quetiapine.  If you would rather......... just take one half of each dose twice a day, as you have been doing......for today, and then stop.   

You'll be stopping the Ketorolac as well, when you start the Ibuprofen.  No tapering required for either of those.  Hoping that you are all clotted up now, as far as any post extraction bleeding goes.

Always make sure that Dentists, as well as other Doctors are aware of your other medications taken.  Hoping that you can access the site: Drugs.com  to check for drug interactions in case of future needs for pain/comfort medications.

Salt water gargles with warm water might help sooth the sore mouth areas.  And make sure you are getting some fluids and nutrition in.  Ice packs may also help to just numb it all up.

Today is the day when it  all will start feeling better.  Do let us know how you are doing.

Love, peace, and healing.....

manymoretodays

Edited by manymoretodays
elaboration, spelling, clarity

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi papaloapan,

Your drug signature is much too complicated, contains a lot of unnecessary information for the moderators and takes up too much of the screen whenever you make a post on the site.  The moderators need a signature which we can glance at quickly to see your history.

I will paste your current signature in the next post so that the information is still available.

Please keep it nice and simple.  We only need details for the last 2 years.  Date, drug and dose only, no symptoms or diagnoses.  The other years can just be an overview.  

This is the preferred format which is helpful for the mods.  Thank you.

A request: Would you summarize your history in a signature - ALL drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements, in the last 12-24 months particularly?

• Please leave out symptoms and diagnoses.
  • A list is easier to understand than one or multiple paragraphs. 
  • Any drugs prior to 24 months ago can just be listed with start and stop years.
  • Please use actual dates or approximate dates (mid-June, Late October) rather than relative time frames (last week, 3 months ago)
  • Spell out months, e.g. "October" or "Oct."; 9/1/2016 can be interpreted as Jan. 9, 2016 or Sept. 1, 2016.
  • Link to Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature.

• Moderator Emeritus

Drug signature 18 March 2018:

8/13- 12/13 got very stressed-> tired: paxil and clonazepam in drops 2.5mg/ml applied directly in my tongue.  12/13 - 1/14 symbyax 6/25 (olanzapine and fluoxetine). 0-0-1. January 20th-3/14 symbyax 6/50 0-0-1. 3/14- 5/14  lamictal and abilify. Started with lamictal 25mg and then 100mg. Abilify 10 mg.  5/14 - 12/14 strattera 1-0-0 sertraline 50mg 1-0-0, topamax (topiramate) 25mg 0-0-1, lamictal 25mg then 50mg 1-0-1, olanzapine 1.25mg 0-0-1  inderalici for a month 10mg 0-0-1. 3/15- 9/15 paxil 20mg 1-0-0, clonazepam in drops 2.5mg/ml 0-0-4, lithium carbonate 300mg 1-1-1, methylphenidate (commercial name is tradea LP which is similar to Concerta) 20mg 1-0-0.  10/15 - 11/15 lithium carbonate 300mg 0-0-1, effexor 37.5mg 1-0-0 and clonazepam in drops 2.5mg/ml 1 drop. 11/15 sertraline starting in 50mg till getting up to 150mg daily (one 50mg tablet in the morning and two 50mg tablets at night) stopped taking them cold-turkey: had a psychosis: I got locked in a psychiatric hospital. 1/25/16 - 2/4/16 Psychiatric hospital: intramuscular inyected haldol for 6 days, haldol tablets 5mg 1-0-1, biperiden (akineton retard) 2mg 1-0-1, triazolam 0.5mg 0-0-1 and risperdal.  february 18 - 5/5/16 (got outside of the psychiatric hospital) Risperdal 1mg 1-0-1, may 5th - 6/6/16 changed dose to 0.5mg 1-0-1, akineton retard 1-0-0 from february 18 till 6/6/16, and clonazepam 2mg tablets 0-0-1 from april 4 till 5/5/16. Changed dose may 5 - 6/6/16 to 0-0-1/2, changed dose june 6 - july 19th 0-0-1. july 19th till 8/9/16 Citalopram 20mg tablets 1-1-0 and dispersible lamictal 100mg 1-0-0 . august 9 till 9/12/16 lithium carbonate 300mg tablets controlled release 300mg 1-1-1 changed to IR Lithium carbonate tablets 1-1-1 starting on 9/12/16. Paroxetine 20mg tablets 1-1-0 starting on 10/11/16. 10/15/16 started gradual taper, first took paxil off gradually, (alternating dosage taper). After I completely came off of paxil, tapered lithum carbonate. I don’t remember how she told me to taper lithium but it wasn’t a 10% reduction, it was a bigger reduction. She told me to suddenly stop taking the night pill (each pill is 300mg). 2/17 I was just taking of lithium carbonate 300mg 1-0-0. 2/17 - 6/17 Was the only time in which I decided the reduction of the dose. I did it not gradually, but faster, until april in which I was taking 1st day no lithium, 2nd day a quarter of a tablet , then the 3rd day started the pattern again, (alternating dosages). Many changes of my lithium dose by myself, some days took 1st day half a tablet, 2nd, 3rd and 4th day a quarter, among other dosages (alternating dosages). But never got below a quarter.  6/2/17 I went back up to half a 300mg lithium carbonate tablet daily 1-0-0 . 7/4/17: reduced dose to 75mg of lithium carbonate 1-0-0 and added Mirtazapine 0-0-1. 7/7/17 - 12/30/17 locked in an addictions (alcohol and ilegal drugs) rehab clinic (I don't have addictions, the owner manipulated my mom in order to lock me). 7/8/17 - 7/11/17 Mirtazapine 0-0-1/2, I was still taking lithium carbonate 75mg 1-0-0. 7/12/17 stopped taking mirtazapine on and continued with lithium carbonate 75mg 1-0-0. 8/7/17 stopped taking lithium carbonate and started taking supplements, Italviron (aminoacids and b6 vitamin) and then Sukrol (glutamic acid, lecithin, phosphorus and thiamin) . 11/30/17 started q-mind (quetiapine) tablets 100mg 0-0-1. 12/1/17 started pristiq (desvenlafaxine) 50mg tablets 1-0-0. Added centrum performance. Then added ginko biloba tablets 80mg for tinnitus. 1/4/18 Free again (got out of the clinic). Started tapering pristiq, psychiatrist told me to alternate dosages, (1st week: first day take it, next day don’t, 2nd week: 1st day take it, 2nd & 3rd day don’t-> couldn’t sleep one whole night. Instead of q-mind quetiapine 100mg: Seroquel XR 300mg 1/5&6/18, 1/7&8/18 changed to Seroquel XR 150mg . 1/9/18 went back to q-mind quetiapine 100mg 0-0-1. 1/9/18 discontinued the aminoacids/b6 vitamin supplement, the supplement that contains glutamic acid, lecithin, phosphorus and thiamin and centrum performance. (still was taking ginko biloba 80mg supp). 1/14,/18 started with one 1.5mg melatonin tablet 0-0-1, one 1.6g  fish oil capsule 1-0-1, 1.29g magnesium capsules 2-0-2. 1/15/18 went back to pristiq first day take it and the next day don’t (alternating dosages). 1/20/18 I learned at SA that alternating dosages is wrong so I went back to one daily pristiq 50mg along with the IR 100mg quetiapine tablet 0-0-1

OMG! I took many drops of cannabis oil for the pain of my teeth, and since I couldn't feel relief, I took lots of drops, and I felt a mild happiness and I laughed. But when I tried to sleep I felt lots of fear and kind of a psychosis!!! I felt like drowning, I couldn't feel my legs, felt something very weird and VERY extreme but EXTREMELY AWFUL! Didn't felt reality the same, I felt like I lost reality. I screamed my mom's name because the feeling was so extreme and bad that I was feeling like of I was about to lose reality for ever. Felt extreme dizzinezz. Like extreme fear. Fortunately later it became less severe, I wasn't able to dial the phone but at the end I was able, I couldn't speak clearly but at the end I could. I felt fear for losing reality and obviously for being locked again for getting a psychosis and living hell again with haldol.

What should I do? Should I go back to try to sleep again? I was about to take my uncle (who I trust) to take me to a psychiatric hospital a friend of mine recommended to me when she (my friend) got a psychosis because of smoking too much weed. I feel better reality now but not that much and I still feel a hard dizziness.

• Moderator Emeritus
7 hours ago, papaloapan said:

OMG! I took many drops of cannabis oil for the pain of my teeth, and since I couldn't feel relief, I took lots of drops, and I felt a mild happiness and I laughed. But when I tried to sleep I felt lots of fear and kind of a psychosis!!! I felt like drowning, I couldn't feel my legs, felt something very weird and VERY extreme but EXTREMELY AWFUL! Didn't felt reality the same, I felt like I lost reality. I screamed my mom's name because the feeling was so extreme and bad that I was feeling like of I was about to lose reality for ever. Felt extreme dizzinezz. Like extreme fear. Fortunately later it became less severe, I wasn't able to dial the phone but at the end I was able, I couldn't speak clearly but at the end I could. I felt fear for losing reality and obviously for being locked again for getting a psychosis and living hell again with haldol.

What should I do? Should I go back to try to sleep again? I was about to take my uncle (who I trust) to take me to a psychiatric hospital a friend of mine recommended to me when she (my friend) got a psychosis because of smoking too much weed. I feel better reality now but not that much and I still feel a hard dizziness.

Hi papaloapan,

And hopefully you are resting now?  Yes, I think some restorative sleep may be in order.

And good, good that you feel better now, or at your last posting.

My best guess is that this too will pass.  I think you would be more of a rarity than the norm.......if these symptoms persisted very long post/after your ingestion of CBD oil.  If I were you I wouldn't be taking anymore of that, given the reaction that you just had.  

We do have a topic on the CBD oil.   It's about 9 pages long.  Perhaps once you have stabilized a bit more and getting into your tapering plan you could read there.  And again, do try not to add anything extra now if at all possible.  You might need some recovery time from the additional medications just taken for your teeth extractions.

http://survivingantidepressants.org/topic/5030-cannabis-marijuana-thc-or-cbd-to-ease-withdrawal-s

Love, peace, healing/inrecovery, and growth,

mmt

Edited by manymoretodays
clarity

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

Hi manymoretodays and thank you so much for replying.Last night was really intense, I felt kind of unconscious, I got really scared and my tongue and mouth were extremely dry. 

Yes, at the end I went back to sleep again. I phone called my uncle and he was kind enough to come to my house last night and he slept with me for taking care of me, his love made me feel better. I feel good again. Yes, the symptoms passed. This symptoms lasted approximately little after I layed down in bed (2:45am) till 3:35am (approx 50 minutes). Then the discomfort disappeared, the caring love of my uncle helped. Agree, I won't take lots of cbd oil again, maybe I'll try it in a future but obviously starting in a very small dose. Also something that could have affected a bit, is my unconscious fear of the recent long traumatic event of being locked against my will for almost 6 months (july-dec 2017) in the rehab clinic. Will Hall says anxiety is a symptom of trauma. But clearly the biggest cause was taking way too much cannabis oil and also it was my first time. 

I know manymoretodays kindly told me that "There is no need to taper after 4 days of an opiate used for pain", but now/today it has been 8 days of taking tramadol. Each day, I took in the morning 15 drops diluted in water and at night another 15 drops diluted in water. I checked on drugs.com for interactions between tramadol hydrochloride and pristiq and quetiapine and there are serious bad interactions, even death https://www.drugs.com/interactions-check.php?drug_list=2796-12488,1979-1274,2221-17957

Obviously I don't trust my dentist for asking him how should I taper or stop taking tramadol because in the first place the idiot doesn't even know that tramadol interacts with both pristiq and quetiapine. My teeth still hurt but I'm going to tell my dentist to prescribe me another analgesic that doesn't interact with pristiq and quetiapine instead of tramadol. It is tramadol 100mg/ml in drops, each ml contains 100mg of tramadol hydrochloride, each ml is equivalent to 40 drops.

So given that now it has been 8 days of taking tramadol, should I still taper it the way manymoretodays told me? He/she said "Why don't you just use one dose of the Tramadol today and then stop. Take it only once a day and then stop. (Or) If you would rather......... just take one half of each dose twice a day, as you have been doing......for today, and then stop."  Or should I taper it in a different/more gradual way?

Thank you so much for your time and caring.

papaloapan

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi papaloapan,

Good job on your signature.  You get 12 lines, which you used well.  Is there anyway you can increase the font size for us.......this is the size of the print.

Are you able to copy the drug interactions directly here to your introduction?  I am looking at the same link now and the biggest worry that I have is of "serotonin syndrome or toxicity".  The symptoms of that are spelled out pretty well in the second major interaction listed(I was not able to copy it either :wacko:):

https://www.drugs.com/interactions-check.php?drug_list=2221-0,2796-12488,1979-1274

You do need to get off the tramadol as soon as possible.  We do have a thread on tapering tramadol as well, which you might find helpful:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/topic/11542-tips-for-tapering-tramadol/

My suggestion would be to just taper your tramadol for now( do not taper any of your other medications yet)............and I think you might be able to tolerate at least a 10% taper or more.........  as long as you aren't suffering from symptoms of serotonin toxicity right now.

Your ibuprofen should have some pain control properties, as well as anti-inflammatory.  So you may not need to bother your Dentist for further pain control/analgesics at this time.  Let's just get you off the tramadol.  Does that sound okay?

100 mg. of tramadol is 40gtts. or 1 ml.

My calculations then lead to you presently being on 75 mg. or 30 gtts. each day.  You take 15 gtts. twice a day.

I don't really want to drag this out over weeks if we can help it as you have been on it for just over 1 week. "Tramadol is a pain killer and is now being considered for use as an anti depressant. It is a dreadful drug that has 2 modes of action, a synthetic opoid and anti depressant SNRI."

Each gtt of tramadol equals 2.5mg, again according to my calculations.  It's up to you really to decide now how much you want to go down on the tramadol.  My best suggestion would be to take off 2 gtts. to 7gtts. from each dosage to start.  Which is more than a 10% drop from your current dosage but as this was given mainly for short term pain control you may tolerate that.  You'd be reducing your dose down to 65mg./day or even by one half, down to 38 mg./day.  See how you do with that and report back as soon as possible.  Like I said, I don't really want to drag this out over weeks.  It's up to you.  You've got some information to look at to guide your decision now.

papaloapan, 

I hope I don't sound like your Mom here, but please abstain from any other drug or chemical use at this time.

I've been out of town and away from my computer.  Hopefully I covered what you asked about via PM.

Love, peace, healing/inrecovery, and growth,

manymoretodays

Edited by manymoretodays
additional thoughts and comments, highlighting

Hi, I have been on tramadol drops just for 8 days. Right now I'm also on pristiq 50mg and quetiapine 100mg. I took tramadol because my dentist told me to take it for the pain for when he extracted 6 of my teeth. It is tramadol 100mg/ml in drops, each ml contains 100mg of tramadol hydrochloride, each ml is equivalent to 40 drops. For those 8 days I took 15 drops diluted in water in the morning and 15 drops diluted in water at night. 30 drops per day = 75mg of tramadol. I have not had any side effects for taking tramadol, along with pristiq and quetiapine. I feel good.

So what I want to know guys, is that if I took tramadol for a very short time (8 days), I guess I can taper tramadol much more faster than a 10% reduction every 4 weeks. I really don't want to make it a long taper for tramadol. Just knowing that I do have to do a 10% reduction every 4 weeks with pristiq and then with quetiapine, makes me to not want to taper slowly tramadol at all. Can I just cold-turkey tramadol? Or how should I taper it? I think it's logical and obvious that if I took it for only 8 days, it can be weaned off pretty fast, maybe even cold turkey, or maybe just a much bigger and faster reduction like maybe a 30% reduction every 5 days or something like that. ???

Thank you so much manymoretodays for replying, I really appreciate your time & caring.

I increased the font size of my signature from 8 to 9 in which there is still the important recent history of my meds. If it's still too small, just tell me which number of size is the right one and I would have to erase some of the first lines.

Here is the copy of the drug interactions:

Interactions between your drugs

Major

tramadol  quetiapine

Applies to: Tramadol Hydrochloride ER (tramadol), quetiapine

Using narcotic pain or cough medications together with other medications that also cause central nervous system depression can lead to serious side effects including respiratory distress, coma, and even death. Talk to your doctor if you have any questions or concerns. Your doctor may be able to prescribe alternatives that do not interact, or you may need a dose adjustment or more frequent monitoring to safely use both medications. Do not drink alcohol or self-medicate with these medications without your doctor's approval, and do not exceed the doses or frequency and duration of use prescribed by your doctor. Also, you should avoid driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how these medications affect you. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Major

tramadol  desvenlafaxine

Applies to: Tramadol Hydrochloride ER (tramadol), Pristiq (desvenlafaxine)

Talk to your doctor before using traMADol together with desvenlafaxine. Combining these medications can increase the risk of a rare but serious condition called the serotonin syndrome, which may include symptoms such as confusion, hallucination, seizure, extreme changes in blood pressure, increased heart rate, feverexcessive sweating, blurred vision, muscle spasm or stiffness, tremor, stomach cramp, nauseavomiting, and diarrhea. Severe cases may result in coma and even death. You should contact your doctor immediately if you experience these symptoms while taking the medications. Using traMADol with desvenlafaxine may also increase the risk of seizures not related to the serotonin syndrome. The interaction may be more likely if you are elderly, undergoing alcohol or drug withdrawal, have a history of seizures, or have a condition affecting the central nervous system such as a brain tumor or head trauma. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with these medications. Avoid driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medications affect you. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Yes, it sounds ok to just get me off tramadol for now. Of course, I'll abstain from any other drug or chemical use at this time.

I already post my question on the "Tips for tapering tramadol" of how to taper it given that I've been on it now for only 9 days. 

Yes, of course I can tolerate a much bigger and faster reduction than 10% every 4 weeks. I think it's logical and obvious that if I've been on tramadol for only 9 days, I can do a much bigger and faster reduction than 10% every 4 weeks. I have not had any side effects for taking tramadol, along with pristiq and quetiapine. I feel good. I am not suffering from any symptoms, also not from serotonin toxicity.

I was even thinking on cold-turkeying it. But I'm waiting for the people at "Tips for tapering tramadol" to answer me. I also sent a private message to MammaP because she conducts that thread, I'm also waiting for her to answer it. 

Agree, I'm staying only with ibuprofen for my dental pain. 

Yesterday (the 8th day) at night I decided to only take 12 drops intead of 15. And today (the 9th day) in the morning I also took 12 drops. I feel good. But I'm really sure to start a much bigger and much faster taper. I'm thinking something around a 33% reduction every 3 days or something like that. I don't know exactly. That's why I ask people at SA to please tell me. 

You said "My best suggestion would be to take off 2 gtts. to 7gtts. from each dosage to start". You mean that I can choose to decrease from 2 drops to 7 drops to start? That means instead of 15 drops in the morning and at night, I can choose to take between 13 to 8 drops in the morning and at night? Sorry but it wasn't clear for me when you said "You'd be reducing your dose down to 65mg./day or even by one half, down to 38 mg./day." I know that at the end I will decide how much I'll decrease and how fast. But I would feel more secure if you guys tell me approximmately how much and how fast can I taper. 

Manymoretodays, and everyone else, I think the best way for you to tell me how to taper tramadol, so that I can understand how fast I can taper, is by telling me the percentage of reduction and for how many days. For example: 33% every 3 days. 

papaloapan

Edited by ChessieCat
reduced font size & added spacing

Now it has been 9 days of being on tramadol. Yesterday (the 8th day) at night I decided to only take 12 drops intead of 15. And today (the 9th day) in the morning I also took 12 drops. I feel good. Manymoretodays told me that because tramadol was given for me mainly for short term pain control, that I can tolerate a bigger reduction than 10% every 4 weeks. He/she also said "I don't really want to drag this out over weeks if we can help it as you have been on it for just over 1 week."

But I'm really sure to start a much bigger and much faster taper. I'm thinking something around a 33% reduction every 3 days or something like that. I don't know exactly. That's why I ask you guys to please tell me. I'll feel more secure if you guys tell me how to taper tramadol. 

Being a combination of an opiate and ssri tramadol is a very tricky drug once it gets it's claws into you.  I don't think that 9 days should be too much of a problem though.  I think a fast taper of 25% every five days might work.  Pay attention to your symptoms and keep a written journal of them so you can watch for any patterns.  Don't panic if there is an uptick in symptoms.  Roll with them and keep us up to date on what is happening.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

Thanks a lot brassmonkey, I appreciate it. This is a nightmare, my patience was ok for knowing that I have to taper 10% every 4 weeks for 2 drugs, 1st pristiq and then quetiapine. Also, finally, after a long time, my body adapted well to pristiq and quetiapine, I was feeling good and my body was doing fine. And now I allowed the stupid dentist to add tramadol... I don't want to be hooked to a 3rd drug, I'm so ****** pissed off, and tired of all this. Now I'm in a dilemma: since it has been for now only 10 days of tramadol, I know I can taper it fast, but I don't know if I do it way too fast maybe I would have wd symptoms. But also I think that if I make a long-slow taper, I'm gonna let tramadol to be more time in my body, therefore it is going to be more likely that my body gets more dependent to tramadol therefore I would have to taper it more gradually. 

The last psychiatrist I was with, recommended me to taper by reducing 6 drops daily (3 of the morning and 3 of the night) till I get off completely from tramadol. That would be getting off tramadol in just 4 days: 1st day 12 drops in the morning and 12 at night, 2nd day 9 drops in the morning and 9 at night, 3rd day 6 and 6, 4th day 3 and 3, and by the 5th day I would be taking no tramadol. He said "Generally tramadol can be cold-turkeyed and does not give problems". But this psychiatrist was the same idiot that told me to alternate dosages with pristiq in order to get off it (which led me to not be able to sleep one whole night, it was horrible). I'm also afraid of the major interactions between tramadol and pristiq and quetiapine, even the psychiatrist says that, even though it's rare that it happens, that the serotonin syndrom/toxicity can happen.

Brassmonkey's suggestion: 25% every 5 days would take 45 days (6 and a half weeks), I think that's a lot of time, I don't like that. And I don't know if my body can tolerate the psychiatrist's fast recommendation. I'm sorry guys, I'm not good at making decisions, I hate that. I hate that all these takes a lot of my time. I don't know what to do.    :(   And last night when I layed down in bed I felt a little bit of breathlessness and right now I feel a little bit of a very weird feeling inside my head, like pressure :( 

papaloapan

I already decided: I'm gonna do this:

The psychiatrist's way, but instead of changing the dose every day, I'll change it every 2 days. So it's a taper of 8 days. I started yesterday, so in 7 days I'll be off completely from tramadol. Plus 11 days (till now) of taking it, in the end, the total of days of taking tramadol: 18 days. I'm sure that if I let tramadol more days in my body, my body will become dependent on it. I already set in my mind the belief that I can do this. The psychiatrist says that since it has been only 11 days and that I already started to taper, that it is practically impossible that my body will suffer the taper. I take that comment of the psychiatrist as a positive tool for my mind

• Moderator Emeritus

Good job then paploapan.

On 3/22/2018 at 12:08 AM, brassmonkey said:

if there is an uptick in symptoms.  Roll with them and keep us up to date on what is happening.

You may hit some tough spots but yes, roll with them.  The tramadol did work a bit like some of the antidepressants we are more familiar with.  So W/D symptoms may result.   And yes, keep up some positive relations with the psychiatrist.   You will be needing someone to write scripts for you in the future.

Upbeat and positive.

mmt

march 12 at night started 15 drops of tramadol

march 13 to march 19:  15 drops twice a day (in the morning and at night) 

march 20: morning 15 drops, night 12 drops

march 21: morning 12 drops,  night 10 drops

march 22:  morning 12 drops,  night 12 drops

march 23: morning 12 drops,  today @1pm and now I'm feeling a disturbing mix of kind of dizziness, kind of a head pressure, it feels bad

I NEED HELP: (continuation of tramadol tapering)

march 24 morning 9 drops night 9 drops

march 25 morning 6 drops night 6 drops, that night (yesterday) I could not sleep most of the night, I felt a horrible adverse effect (or I think it was a withdrawal effect) like something inside my head was moving, very disturbing, couldn't breathe right through my nose because my nose felt stuffed? I don't know how to translate from spanish. I have to say that since I hang out with friends on the weekend, friday and saturday night I slept later, friday night 2am and saturday night 3:30am. Saturday in the morning I got up from bed at 2pm and also sunday in the morning I got up from bed at 2pm. Sunday at night I layed down at bed at 11:50pm. Maybe that could affected because in the weekend I didn't take tramadol at the same time as the weekdays (weekdays I go to bed early, 11:30pm and in the mornings I wake up at 8:30am). 

So should I stay in 6 drops in the morning and night for more days? Or what should I do? 

I spoke with the neuropsychiatrist and he told me that I can taper tramadol depending on how I'm feeling. He said that  it is important to stop taking it in short-term and that I should taper it in no more than 10 days, starting from today. He says that because of the same reason that I think it is important to stop taking it in short-term: because the more days I take tramadol the more my body will be dependent of it and therefore I would have to taper it very slowly.

@Altostrata  you said I don't remember where in SA (please remind me where) you wrote that when anybody is going to start to taper any psychiatric drug, that supplementing daily with vitamin b12 and folate strengthens and prepares the nervous system. But can you please tell me how much of vitamin b12 and how much of folate should I take daily in supplements? Thank you so much

If psychiatric drugs have damaged our nervous systems, do you now who is the health care professional/doctor indicated for treating and healing our nervous system? By the way neurologists also prescribe psychiatric drugs so neurologists are not good.