SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Bcdrugfree: Short term taper withdrawal and reinstatement

Bcdrugfree

I've been ssri free for two months now, after a gradual taper. I was on cipralex for 6years 20mg. I was originally prescribed for anexity and after years of feeling numb and missing out on my kids lives I decided to go drug free. Let me tell you being married with kids and trying to deal with withdrawals is not easy. I have found great strength reading these posts and using mindfulness meditation definitely helps. I'm 37 years old and see my future being bright but uncertain. I worried if I'll be able to enjoy my life and family after all these years of drug dependence. My career suffered while on cipralex I'm currently unemployed and trying to get my own business started. We live in a time that success is measured off what we do ie. work success,own a house etc. My wife has no idea what I'm going through and seems to not have the patience for the process . I hope my Brain will recover and I can feel a sense of balance again. young and old read this post and understand that ssri are not the answer it's a quick fix to mask bigger issues. Never again will I put my body through this nightmare I gain 45lbs already lost 10 off cipralex. My weight gain has caused serious back pain issues. Not to mention high blood pressure etc. stay strong and find what works for you to deal with withdrawals and years of being drugged up. Good luck and these feelings will pass... my future we'll see how it unfolds:)

Edited by scallywag
tags

20 mg cipralex for 6 years, did a two months taper roughly 5mg at a time. Then 2 months drug free. Then needed to reinstate 5mg cipralex for one week now. Also take omega 3,Vit c, b12, glucosamine as supplements.

-so I've reinstate 5mg cipralex since may.19 till current.

-No other drugs being taken

Hello,

After taking cipralex for 6 years 20mg, l'm finding my emotions and the my personality have really changed since stopping the pills. I'm 2 months drug free after a few months of a taper. I'm currently unemployed as well so,I have extra time and stress on my hands not sure if that's good or bad. The windows and waves are definitely tough to deal with kids etc. And the daily routine. I stopped taking the pills for that very reason they ruined my work career and my body. Almost cost me my marriage and now my direction in life. I've found comfort in the idea of acceptance, but not being able to provide for my family the way I'd like is tough to accept. This is definitely a tough road thanks for any advice or support! I'm 36 and wonder how long it will take for my mind to heal.

20 mg cipralex for 6 years, did a two months taper roughly 5mg at a time. Then 2 months drug free. Then needed to reinstate 5mg cipralex for one week now. Also take omega 3,Vit c, b12, glucosamine as supplements.

You can try to be just patience with you suppose. You can try to help him understand "your new me" by showing interest to know what has changed inside him/her first. 

2011-2012 Olanzapin (dont remember mg) gained 24 pounds (11 pounds) so had to change to other

2012-2016 Abilify 15mg

2016 August to Oktober after 3 moths beeing free from Abilify the anxiety, manic began

2016 oktober - 2017 januar Olanzapin 5mg, (quited abrubtly syptoms started 2 weeks after quiting: felt manic, no sleep, anxiety for a week then all syptoms subsided)

2016 oktober - 2017 march Abilify 22,5mg (am having also psychotherapy)

2017 13 march - Abilify 18,75mg

2017 13 aprill - Abilify 15 mg

2017 1 May - Abilify  11,25 mg (next lowering 1 June to 7,5 then will begin to take baby steps at lowering) 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi SA,
This site has been a great source for support during my quick withdrawal before finding this site. I started a 2 month taper off 20mg of cipralex wich I was taking for 6 years for anexity.I made it through plus another 2 months drug free after the taper!! With Serious withdrawal symptoms,
Everything you read about on this site. Plus during this process I lost my job. I decided to reinstate at a small dose to stabilize for a while and give my nervous system a rest. These drugs are very strong it's super important to taper as recommended on site and plan on a long term recovery path. I'm glad I found important on this site to help me understand this whole process. Think on the term of years not months. I'm a week into my reinstatement and feel a bit better started a very low dose. Has felt like the worst 2 months of my life. I wish I had found this site prior to my taper!! Good luck everyone on SA make sure your in a stable period in life before you rock the boat.

* merged with previous posts

Edited by ChessieCat
added note

• Moderator Emeritus

I am so sorry that we have missed your post. I am away from home at the moment but someone will be along to help now I have brought you to the top of the page. Things move fast here sometimes and unfortunately some posts drop down the page before we have picked them up.

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

Hi

With new information about the difficulties and how to minimise them, you will be in a much stronger position.  I am not a moderator but have used this site a lot.  They normally ask you to detail in your signature drugs with dosages and rough timescales, also any supplement you may be using.

Was your job loss a direct result of withdrawal?  Have you any family/partner support?  What is your doctor like?

This sort of information can help the moderators, also what were your main symptoms in withdrawal.

Joy

Jan 2023 to July 2023 250mg quetiapine

Tapered off quetiapine again over 2 months - now weight problem

I tapered from 20 mg cipralex over 2 months held a 5 mg per week pattern. Felt ok during that period then when I stopped after the two month taper was tough. I roughed out 2 months of no pills hopeing it would be better. It was too much I've reinstated up to 5mg now for one week.Feel a bit better still cloudy no motivation, tough time in the morning especially. Over all low mood need to force myself to do anything. Was really sensitive to hot cold I could tell my nervous system was maxed out. I am taking omega 3,Vit C,B12,glucosamine. I did meditation everyday for the 2 months off and definitely helped me. No appetite and food tastes like trash. I am shocked what withdrawal can do to your physical function no strength either sore joints. I also have complete Gi diffuction, and horrible dry mouth!!I do have some partner support, it's been tough though we have two kids and are go go. Best option at this point is too stabilize and get back so am employable again.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi again BC. Your topics have been merged into your original introduction, it is one topic per person in the introductions section, so that all posts are together for clarity. I'm sorry that we missed them, we mods try and welcome all members and your fell off the page very quickly!

I am glad that you are feeling better after reinstating cipralex. I would hold that dose until you have been stable for a few weeks before starting to taper again. Lots of us here ended up with withdrawal after tapering too fast. I did it too and reinstated. 

When you are ready to start tapering again you shoukd go very slowly so that you come off safely and with as little discomfort as possible. 

I will get some links for you to read so that you are prepared. You might have read them already but often they get lost and are easily missed. 

About reinstating to stabilise 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/7562-about-reinstating-and-stabilizing-to-reduce-withdrawal-symptoms/

Why taper 10% of the current dose 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1024-why-taper-by-10-of-my-dosage/

Tapering cipralex (escitalopram) 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/406-tapering-off-lexapro-escitalopram/

3 KIS 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6632-the-rule-of-3kis-keep-it-simple-keep-it-slow-keep-it-stable/

It would help us of you can fill in your signature strip,it helps us to see where you are at with doses etc at the bottom of all your posts and we don't have to read back through the thread to find the info.

You can find instructions here. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/12364-please-put-your-withdrawal-history-in-your-signature/

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

5 mg Cipralex for a week now has seemed to take the sharp edge of the withdrawal, my stomach is still a mess and have cloudy thoughts. Not sure how long I should stay at 5mg or if 10mg might be a better range to stabilize at for awhile. Had a lot of outside stress too during the withdrawal period which has made it tougher ie, work and home life

• Moderator Emeritus

It's only been 1 week.  It takes about 4 days for the dose to get to a steady state in the blood and longer for it to register in the brain.

Escitalopram is a strong drug.  If you find after another week that you still can't live with the symptom/s I would suggest only going up by a very small amount.  An additional 1mg may be enough.  I definitely would not double the dose to 10mg.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Thanks for your advice! Ok I'll stay the course I'm on hopefully I'll feel better soon. Wish I had found this site prior to my taper my doctor doesn't know anything!!

Still taking 5mg cipralex to stabilize most of my physical withdrawal symptoms have subsided. Especially Temp sensitivity etc. Still not much of a appetite. I find the worst is the morning time. I wake up at 6:00am with serious cortisol spikes and shortly after I'm on the toilet. Started taking a good pro-biotic pill to help my stomach has been getting slightly better. Definitely Need to give my body a good few months stabilization break to re-group from that fast taper. Bonus I've Lost about 25lbs since my taper, my back feels better but I have no strength right now. I do a lot of cardio but no weights yet. Thanks to everyone who had commented guided me through this tough taper. These drugs can wreck havoc on your life if you don't get informed!!

• Moderator Emeritus

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Mornings are still a tough time, starting to feel my real emotions coming back. Still not much of a appetite, my stomach is still rough. Trying to stay in present moment, helps me deal with all my stressers and concerns. My back pain has gotten 75% better since my WD, probably due to my weight loss 30lbs since march. I have this ongoing feeling of dread that hangs with me in the morning? I also had some vivid dreams last night woke up sweating. I've been sweating a lot a night since my taper. I am getting windows in the afternoon I'm able to enjoy. Stay strong in your journey these drugs are tough:)

Could anyone recommend help to cope with my morning symptoms? Thanks

Mornings are often not good for withdrawal symptoms, all I can suggest is that you eat something really nutritious so your body has something good to work with, even if you don't feel like eating anything, as low blood sugar can only make thing worse.  Likewise only drink sensible things like water or tea, no heavy coffee or sugary drinks.

Make sure you take your antidepressant dose at the same time each day, I think when you are on lower dosages this seems to be really important.

have you tried early morning meditation.  I personally can't get into it, but you have said you can.

There is never a good time to do withdrawal, there are always stressor in life that can throw a spanner in the works.  Yours is being without work and a young family, mine is a late life career taking off for which I need to be as mentally and physically fit as possible.  It is like that with having children, there is never a perfect time, once you are down that route you just have to get on with it.

When I withdrew from diazepam many years ago I had learnt my own pattern of symptoms so well, I could predict when I would start to feel better, and at that point I started to enjoy withdrawing.  I can remember one night standing in the hall with a large bath towel around me, as I was rushing to the toilet so much I couldn't be bothered to get dressed, and I looked in the mirror and a wreck of a woman looked back at me, my arms and legs were twitching and jolting in all directions, but one week later was completely OK and never looked back.  I was at the end of it, but didn't know I was so near the end.  You could be nearer the end than you think.

Have you tried a light short walk in the morning, or even heavy exercise.  I find heavy exercise plus swimming and sauna helps me a lot.  Exercise helps the body and mind to cope with withdrawal, and some say exercise helps neurons to start rebuilding and reconnecting.  I look and feel so much better after exercise.

Are you taking fish oil - that seems to help a lot of people.  Avoid 5 htp - that can make things worse. It makes me feel terrible.

My husband doesn't understand withdrawal at all, he just doesn't 'get' it.  I used to be heavily medicated with psychiatric drugs and didn't really wake up most days, I think my husband finds it hard to cope with the new me, busy doing stuff and working, but he admits I look a lot better, and he likes it that I am at last earning money.  It could be a blessing that you are not working at present, I was only working 3 hrs a day when I withdrew from diazepam and that really helped.  Money is a stress for most people, but ill health is a greater stress.

You are male and a lot younger than me, for some reason younger males do better in withdrawal than older women, and you have the rest of your life to enjoy, at 58 I don't have as much time left as I would like.  Don't be like me and end up taking ADs for decades, it is such a bad plan.  I have deep regrets, I should have been trying to withdraw in my 30s instead of 50s.

Have you tried stem ginger for the nausea.

Thanks joy!! Your words of strength at this point mean the world to me:) all the advice and insight are priceless. I'm sorry you dealt with the same issues later in your life but you have great knowledge to share with others. My health is key and that's my driving force, all my AD side effects were too much to continue!! This whole process will make me a better father and person. I send out strength and blessings to everyone on this site! Keep the faith.

Bc

Yes I'm taking omega 3, Vit c, B12, glucosamine and a good probiotic for my gut.

• Moderator Emeritus

Mornings are bad for many people here, it is due to the production of cortisol. When we understand a symptom it is easier to cope with. I find mornings difficult but I know that as the day wears on it will improve so try not to dwell on it. I will find the topic for you. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/33-waking-with-panic-or-anxiety-managing-cortisol-spikes/?hl=%2Bwaking+%2Bpanic

2002  effexor. 

Yesterday I spoke to a previous employer about a possible work reference from my last job. He spoke to me about some of the things I said and did prior to me moving on to a new job. I couldn't believe i behaved in that manner and was so blind to the original door they gave me to come back after the new job didn't work. All this stuff happened a year ago and can tell you, it was me being doped up on drugs 20mg cipralex. My personality has changed 100% in the last 6 months. My past employer even mentioned I sounded remorseful on the phone and he was shocked. I makes me upset that these drugs have cost me lots of relationships and transformed me into a heartless person at the time. I had a tough time dealing with the news and a bad sleep last night. Going forward I want to work without these drugs. Anybody else's have past drugged moments that people recall to you and can't seem to understand the moments. Well on with the process:)))))

thanks BC

The scary thing is I've never worked without these drugs

I suspect this has happened to me a lot but I can't deal with looking back too much - I am just considering the present and the immediate future. Don't be too hard on yourself.

Thanks joy good advice, I've seem to stabilized on the 5 mg of cipralex now, can still feel my body adjusting to the lower dose but manageable. I'll give this a few months let my body and nervous system take a break for a bit! Positive thoughts and the summer weather really helps I find plus exercise. I've blacked out my windows in the bedroom even more so my sleeping in the morning has improved. No physical strength at all, can do cardio but weights or anything beyond that's it not happening. Like a lot of you out there I'm exhausted at the end of the day I'm hoping the is my brain working OT trying to adjust to the lower dose and changing. Stomach has seems to adjust positively in last few day. I'm taking a great probiotic so that's helped. Good luck all this is a long journey be easy and thanks for the replys.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I seem to have stabilized at 5mg cipralex now after a hellish quick withdrawal for 2 months off the drugs. My appetite is now back stomach is doing better. Now how long should I hold this pattern before I should try to taper again? My lower back pain has seemed to return now back on the meds?. My sleeping has improved since the reinstatement as well, my mental state has seemed to stabilize as well. I hate the idea of staying on theses drugs any longer than I need too. Any advice going forward will help. can you get liquid form cipralex in Canada  seems the best way to taper effectively,

thanks

BC 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey BC - 

Could you please put dates in your signature?  As you've been here a few months now, "two months" doesn't mean anything.  

What were the dates (roughly) of your taper, and the date of your reinstatement?

Like:

20 mg Cipralex 2011-2017
Tapered Feb-March 2017 to 0

Reinstated 5 mg May 20, 2017.

That way going forward we will know exactly how things have unfolded for you.

If I have your dates correct, you've only reinstated for a month.  If your symptoms have been settled for a month, wait another month.  That's 2 months from last wave.  

It takes our bodies time to adjust and heal.  A broken leg doesn't go away in a few weeks, and the changes made to your brain are waiting on normal biological processes - healing and balancing neurons - to take place.  Like hair, they don't grow in a day.  

If it were me, i would wait at least 3 months (depending on symptoms) from your reinstatement before trying again.  If you were tapering using our 10% of prior dose method, you wouldn't be on this current dose until next January.  So you've kind of skipped to the head of the class - but - it would be good to let your body catch up to what you have done.

I have seen thousands who wish they'd tapered more slowly.  I haven't met anyone who wish they'd tapered more quickly.

On 2017-6-14 at 9:27 AM, Bcdrugfree said:

liquid form cipralex in Canada

I looked and couldn't find it.  The UK has it - but it's intensely strong (20 mg / ml) and needs dilution.

Your pharmacist would know better.

But you can make your own liquid.  In fact, when you are getting ready to taper, the first thing you should do is convert your dosages to liquid:

How to Make a Liquid from Tablets or Capsule

You might even do a cross taper to liquid, doing half liquid, half tablet for a month before going to all liquid (no change in dosage).  Then try the liquid for a month before reducing your dose.  That's 2 months, there.

A change in form is the same as a taper.  Any change counts as, well, a change - so you should wait a month in between changes.

It may sound to you like we are overly cautious.  At this point, I consider you lucky - I know you had a rough go of it, but it could have been much worse.  You caught it, you reinstated, and you are in control of things now.  It's better to go super slow and have few or no symptoms, than it is to push your luck and possibly end up in crisis.  Like I said - I don't know anyone who regrets going too slowly. 

You can use this time to get your equipment - syringe, graduated cylinder, small jar with lid for shaking to mix your solution.  

Then, you can start practicing making the liquid for 2 months (as spelled out above) before you actually reduce your dose.

You can do this!  Sometimes moving at a snails pace is frustrating - but it gives your nervous system time to heal.

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

• Moderator Emeritus

Liquid escitalopram is not available in Canada. 

Here's the Health Canada Drug Product Data Base.  I used these search criteria:

• Active ingredient: escitalopram
  • Class(es): Human
  • Route(s) of administration: Oral
  • Dosage form(s): Liquid

It's unlikely that your doctor will give you a prescription for a medication that isn't licensed for use here.  If you figure out a way to get the liquid escitalopram (Cipralex, Lexapro) legally, please share it.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

Thanks for the reply, your right slow and steady is the key. I will hold the 5ml dose for a few more months too stabilize. Then try the liquid/pill combo as suggested. I have now excepted the fact that this is a long term journey. Is my brain still in the process of healing now, with the lower 5mg dose I'm on, I do feel some success at being at this dose. Just a step closer to becoming drug free. 

Thanks All, Bc 

• 3 weeks later...

I stopped taking cipralex for 2 months and my chronic lower back pain and stiffness got way better alomost gone? I had too reninstate the cipralex back to 5mg for the last 2 months due to bad withdrawals too fast a taper. After a couple weeks back on cipralex the lower back pain started coming back and now in my hips a bit too? 

Anyone else notice this side effect? could the drugs be masking my muscle tension in my back, or causing some other issues please let me know thanks, Bc 

Edited by scallywag
merged topics

• Moderator Emeritus

BCdrugfree, I've merged the topic you started, "Can SSRI use cause low back pain????? Please let me know thanks", with your introduction topic so that all your information, questions and answers are in one place.

We have several topics on pain, muscle pain and back pain in the Symptoms forum:

Tension, pain, twitches, spasms in muscles and joints

Lower back pain anyone

Non-drug techniques for dealing with physical pain

Collection of links for managing pain

Self-help for muscle tightness and pain

To find existing topics, use the search function which is posted in the top right corner area of every page. Some people like to use a web search tool such as google or bing to find discussion topics and references to symptoms on the site. To get discussions here at SA at the top of the search results, use the keyword for your symptom, e.g. "back pain" or "pain", and "site:survivingantidepressants.org"

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

• 1 month later...

Hello all, 

Is my 5mg reinstatement on June.5, I've held steady on that dose. It's been 3 and half months now. The last two weeks I've started taking my cirplax homemade liquid 5mg. Seem to adjusting well, I'm hoping to start tapering by 10ml. I start a new job next week super excited about it! The only issues is my back pain has come back big time since reinstating. Since my quick withdrawl I'm hesitant in tapering again. I feel good physically and think I'm ready to taper again! Hope everyone is having a great summer. Crazy to look back on my posts and read my withdrawal nightmare. Any comments or advice moving forward thank you:) 

BC