data17

Hello,

I have been reading this site for over a year. 

I've taken antipsychotics for about 27 years & decided to taper off. My GP is supportive of a slow taper lasting years.

I'm currently taking 5mg trifluoperazine - original brand name Stelazine-  and 12.5 mg procyclidine.

I filled in my history in the signature.

data17

Edited by scallywag
tags

• 1991-1998 Haldol, olanzapine; 1996-2014 diazepam; 1999-present procyclidine 12.5mg, trifluoperazine (Stelazine/TFP)
  • 2015 - Oct 2017 :taper Trifluoperazine (TFP) 7.7mg to 3.4mg 
  • Nov 2017: TFP suddenly unavailable - CT! 
  • Jan 2018 :TFP back in stock as liquid ~4mg per day 
  • June 2018:~3mg TFP 
  • Oct 2018 :~2mg TFP 
  • Mar 2019: ~1mg TFP
  • Apr 2019: ~0.7mg TFP
  • 21st May: 0.4mg

ChessieCat

Hi data and welcome to SA,

Thank you for completing your signature, it has shown up.  I'm not familiar with either of the drugs you are taking.  However, some of the other mods most probably are.

What method and rate of taper has your GP suggested?  It's good that you have one that is willing to support you.

This is your own Intro topic where you can ask questions and journal your progress.  If you click "Follow" top right you will be notified when someone responds.

REMINDER TO SELF:

I don't need the drug now, but my still brain does.

ADs:  25 years - 1 unknown, Prozac (caused muscle weakness), Zoloft/sertraline; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after)

Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (mild Serotonin Toxicity)

Began tapering Oct 2015  Current from 17 Oct 2020:  Pristiq 0.56 mg (compounded + liquid)

My tapering program

My Intro (goes to my tapering graph)

My website - includes my brief history + links to videos & information on the web

PLEASE NOTE:  I am not a medical professional.  I provide information and make suggestions.

data17

Thank-you Chessie Cat.

Trifluoperazine is an older antipsychotic.

Procyclidine is an anti-cholinergic drug used for the EPS/movement side effects of trifluoperazine.

My GP is willing to be guided by me and I have told him about this site.

I have run into trouble tapering 10% or by big cuts of 1mg - mainly getting acid reflux, stomach pains, headaches as well as some insomnia, anxiety and anger. 

I have had more luck cutting by a quarter of a 1mg pill, then holding for a few months.

I have kept a detailed record of my doses since 2000 and would like to post a graph, showing a slow increase over time. The graph was created using Minitab software and I saved it as a pdf file.  Is there a way to embed this in a post?

• 1991-1998 Haldol, olanzapine; 1996-2014 diazepam; 1999-present procyclidine 12.5mg, trifluoperazine (Stelazine/TFP)

ChessieCat

You can upload it by going to More Reply Options > Browse... > Attach This File.  You then get the option of including it in the post.

REMINDER TO SELF:

I don't need the drug now, but my still brain does.

ADs:  25 years - 1 unknown, Prozac (caused muscle weakness), Zoloft/sertraline; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after)

Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (mild Serotonin Toxicity)

Began tapering Oct 2015  Current from 17 Oct 2020:  Pristiq 0.56 mg (compounded + liquid)

My tapering program

My Intro (goes to my tapering graph)

My website - includes my brief history + links to videos & information on the web

PLEASE NOTE:  I am not a medical professional.  I provide information and make suggestions.

data17

Thanks!

I read that the difficulty withdrawing is due to upregulation of dopamine receptors, and that this upregulation is reflected in increases in dose in long-term users. My day to day dose has been very variable so I was not sure if there was an increase.

I have just done an introductory course in statistics and decided to analyse the data in my diary records of drug dose over the years.

I have attached a graph showing my average daily dose of trifluoperazine (TFP) by year from 2000 to 2016.

I have also put a graph showing the negative correlation between average TFP dose and average sleep duration from2004 to 2016.

My conclusion is that there has been a gradual increase over the years and that this reflects an upregulation of dopamine receptors, because it just correlates with time and not with any life events/ circumstances as they have not changed in such a regular way. As this has been a very slow process, I guess that the downregulation will also be quite slow. That's why I'm planning to taper very slowly.

It looks like the increase in dose may be causing increased side-effects in the form of less sleep.

TFP dose since 2000 and sleep.pdf

Plshelp

Data,

I'm interested in hearing more about your taper plan.

Dec 2016 Risperidone 1 mg, Seroquel 25mg, Latuda 40mg 

Jan - Mar 2017 Paliperidone (invega) 6 -9mg, Zoloft, Mirtazapine, Proprananol, Ativan

Mar - Apr 2017 Aripiprazole (abilify) 10 mg

Apr 2017 - July 2017 Olanzapine (zyprexa) 5 mg tapered to 0mg

Oct 2017 - Present Effexor 37.5mg and Prozac 10mg 

data17

Hi Plshelp

I don't have a fixed plan. It is mainly trial and error, so here is the current plan. I will change it if it doesn't work out.

I take 1mg stelazine 5 times a day. My plan is to cut one of those into quarters and taking 4.75mg for 2-3 months, or until any acute withdrawal symptoms pass, whichever is longest. Then cut to 4.5mg and wait 2-3 months. Continue cutting by 0.25mg until I'm down to, say, 2mg. If it starts to get harder, then I can get liquid and go even more slowly, cutting by a % rather than a fixed amount, or decide to just stop at a low dose indefinitely.

It is recommended here to try 10% cuts every 4-6 weeks, and I have tried this using liquid before, but found it too complicated as I am quite slowed up.

I also found that cutting every 6 weeks made it hard to separate withdrawal symptoms from side effects and daily stresses. That is why I am cutting by a fixed amount to begin with. I hope that once I got down to 2mg I would be much better cognitively and could handle measuring out liquid.

I expect this to take a few years, but I have been on meds about 27 years, so am prepared to go slow. But please don't be put off by this.

I see from your signature that you have been on a relatively short time, so I think you will be able to taper much faster.

data17

Another thing about tapering is to keep the rest of your life simple.

Last year I agreed a plan of a slow taper for some years, while doing part time study as an occupation (I am not working), and with support from social work and GP. They both liked the motto from this site of Keep it Slow, Simple, Steady.

Suddenly social work have decided I don't need support - this has upset everything - they want me to make my own social support networks. That complicates things, as I do have a lot of disability from both drugs and withdrawal. Even though I am stable I am impaired.

I have just had a bit of a meltdown about this, getting extremely stressed, awake all night brainstorming solutions, arguing with people - not a good sign, the sort of thing that would make me go back on meds in the past when I have tried to stop. 

Finally I have decided to stop study for a year to create space to make some other connections.

Plshelp

Hi Plshelp

I don't have a fixed plan. It is mainly trial and error, so here is the current plan. I will change it if it doesn't work out.

I take 1mg stelazine 5 times a day. My plan is to cut one of those into quarters and taking 4.75mg for 2-3 months, or until any acute withdrawal symptoms pass, whichever is longest. Then cut to 4.5mg and wait 2-3 months. Continue cutting by 0.25mg until I'm down to, say, 2mg. If it starts to get harder, then I can get liquid and go even more slowly, cutting by a % rather than a fixed amount, or decide to just stop at a low dose indefinitely.

It is recommended here to try 10% cuts every 4-6 weeks, and I have tried this using liquid before, but found it too complicated as I am quite slowed up.

I also found that cutting every 6 weeks made it hard to separate withdrawal symptoms from side effects and daily stresses. That is why I am cutting by a fixed amount to begin with. I hope that once I got down to 2mg I would be much better cognitively and could handle measuring out liquid.

I expect this to take a few years, but I have been on meds about 27 years, so am prepared to go slow. But please don't be put off by this.

I see from your signature that you have been on a relatively short time, so I think you will be able to taper much faster.

Data,

Your tapers sound quite drastic, but maybe they're not that bad. I tapered from 5mg to 2.5mg which was quite drastic and I escaped luckily with a few nights of minor insomnia. I think I'm going to try going at a 10% taper from this point forward, to avoid withdrawals. I too find that trying to make this into a liquid is too complicated. Trying to keep the particles suspended is honestly very difficult and inaccurate. I think you're doing great if all you're on is 5mg/day,but to be on for so many years is totally crazy! Yikes! At least you don't seem to be cognitively impaired, well from what I've read about you anyways.

Jan - Mar 2017 Paliperidone (invega) 6 -9mg, Zoloft, Mirtazapine, Proprananol, Ativan

Plshelp

Another thing about tapering is to keep the rest of your life simple.

Last year I agreed a plan of a slow taper for some years, while doing part time study as an occupation (I am not working), and with support from social work and GP. They both liked the motto from this site of Keep it Slow, Simple, Steady.

Suddenly social work have decided I don't need support - this has upset everything - they want me to make my own social support networks. That complicates things, as I do have a lot of disability from both drugs and withdrawal. Even though I am stable I am impaired.

I have just had a bit of a meltdown about this, getting extremely stressed, awake all night brainstorming solutions, arguing with people - not a good sign, the sort of thing that would make me go back on meds in the past when I have tried to stop.

Finally I have decided to stop study for a year to create space to make some other connections.

I haven't heard that. Keep it slow, simple and steady. That's new to me. So thank you for that.

You have a lot of disabilities? And you lost your social network? Well, I'm always here if you need support. Don't get stressed out about how you're going to taper. I think your brainstorming and plan seems good, I just worry that it might be too fast. But you know you best.

data17

Hi Plshelp

I don't have a fixed plan. It is mainly trial and error, so here is the current plan. I will change it if it doesn't work out.

I take 1mg stelazine 5 times a day. My plan is to cut one of those into quarters and taking 4.75mg for 2-3 months, or until any acute withdrawal symptoms pass, whichever is longest. Then cut to 4.5mg and wait 2-3 months. Continue cutting by 0.25mg until I'm down to, say, 2mg. If it starts to get harder, then I can get liquid and go even more slowly, cutting by a % rather than a fixed amount, or decide to just stop at a low dose indefinitely.

It is recommended here to try 10% cuts every 4-6 weeks, and I have tried this using liquid before, but found it too complicated as I am quite slowed up.

I also found that cutting every 6 weeks made it hard to separate withdrawal symptoms from side effects and daily stresses. That is why I am cutting by a fixed amount to begin with. I hope that once I got down to 2mg I would be much better cognitively and could handle measuring out liquid.

I see from your signature that you have been on a relatively short time, so I think you will be able to taper much faster.

Data,

Your tapers sound quite drastic, but maybe they're not that bad. I tapered from 5mg to 2.5mg which was quite drastic and I escaped luckily with a few nights of minor insomnia. I think I'm going to try going at a 10% taper from this point forward, to avoid withdrawals. I too find that trying to make this into a liquid is too complicated. Trying to keep the particles suspended is honestly very difficult and inaccurate. I think you're doing great if all you're on is 5mg/day,but to be on for so many years is totally crazy! Yikes! At least you don't seem to be cognitively impaired, well from what I've read about you anyways.

You think tapering from 5mg to 4.75mg is drastic? It's only a 5% cut, then I plan to hold for 2-3 months.

data17

I haven't heard that. Keep it slow, simple and steady. That's new to me. So thank you for that.

Here is the topic http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6632-the-rule-of-3kis-keep-it-simple-keep-it-slow-keep-it-stable/

data17

I am holding at 5mg stelazine for now. Reframing my life to simplify the taper.

Feel sleepy today. Poor sleep the last few days due to hot weather, but today is drizzle so I should sleep tonight.

data17

I am posting today because I have an annual health check and feel anxious about it, so trying to stay calm.

I am now taking 4.25mg stelazine, after being on 4.5mg for 24 days.I have changed my strategy, because I now think I was going too slowly. Holding for very long periods during the last 2 years did not lead symptoms to lessen. I continued to suffer from acid reflux, headaches, tight chest, insomnia.

I am working on the assumption that after you cut the dose, the dopamine receptors readjust so  there are fewer of them and again a high proportion will be blocked by drug (until very very low doses), so side effects re-emerge. In response  the cycle restarts whereby the receptors adjust to tolerate side effects. You have to go at the right pace to balance between side effects and withdrawal effects.I am already feeling better on the lower doses.

It is like walking a tightrope. It is an unstable situation - like being on the drug at all - and you can't fully stabilise until you are on solid ground, so you have to keep moving, listening to your body. It takes focus to stay balanced - too fast, or trying to juggle too many other things at the same time, and you'll fall.

data17

I updated my signature. I believe I have resensitized after the drop to 4.5mg, because of the re-emergence of shakiness and stiffness, which are side-effects.

So I have now reduced to 4mg trifluoperazine.

My withdrawal symptoms of acid reflux, oesophagus pain, headaches have gone. My annual health check was OK.

I continue to suffer IBS, mild insomnia, and being very slowed up.

During the summer I've been gardening, doing household tasks, spending time with family.

scallywag

Sorry to hear that symptoms flared up after your recent decreases. I sure hope you'll consider holding at 4 mg for a good long while and then making a much smaller decrease than 0.5 mg.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

data17
7 hours ago, data17 said:

I updated my signature. I believe I have resensitized after the drop to 4.5mg, because of the re-emergence of shakiness and stiffness, which are side-effects.

So I have now reduced to 4mg trifluoperazine.

My withdrawal symptoms of acid reflux, oesophagus pain, headaches have gone. My annual health check was OK.

I continue to suffer IBS, mild insomnia, and being very slowed up.

During the summer I've been gardening, doing household tasks, spending time with family.

1 hour ago, scallywag said:

Sorry to hear that symptoms flared up after your recent decreases. I sure hope you'll consider holding at 4 mg for a good long while and then making a much smaller decrease than 0.5 mg.

Thank-you for responding, scallywag. Overall  I am feeling better since the reduction to 4.5mg. I will explain my reasoning for the cut to 4mg now.

I don't think I was very clear, but the continuing IBS, insonmnia and being slowed up are side effects. I have been suffering them the whole time I've been on these drugs, that is almost 2 decades. So they are not withdrawal related.

The acid reflux etc appeared acutely when I began tapering 2 years ago, and so are withdrawal symptoms, but those are now gone.  I take to mean that the extra dopamine receptors made by my body to compensate for trifluoperazine blocking them, have downregulated.

However, as a consequence of there being fewer receptors, a high proportion of dopamine receptors are blocked again, so I am now sensitive to  extrapyramidal side-effects again.

I disagree that a long hold will stabilise me, because my body will attempt to compensate for the extrapyramidal side-effects by once more upregulating the dopamine receptors ie I will become tolerant and experience worse withdrawal when I cut, so to me this is a signal to cut.

scallywag

Hope you're bet pays off in your favour.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

data17

I have been tapering at about 0.5mg per month, on average, and it was going OK. But suddenly the supply has stopped. First trifluoperazine pills were unavailable in any strength, but the pharmacy was able to get liquid. Fearing that would also run out, I reduced my dose to 2mg and have now been taking 2mg for about 3 weeks and feel OK with that except for some constipation. Last week when I went to collect my prescription, the pharmacy said they cannot get liquid either - there is a national shortage - and they suggested asking my GP for an alternative.

So I am now on 2mg and considering just rapid tapering the liquid I have left. This is an old drug and I don't know if there's a suitable substitute. 

Also, GPs here don't write new prescriptions for antipsychotics and they may refuse to prescribe an alternative, or refer me to psychiatry.

I have escaped psychiatry and have no wish to get involved with that again.

But I don't want to stop suddenly without good coping plans.

Another complication is that my usual GP has just got a new job and only working part-time, so if I get withdrawal symptoms I may have to see someone who doesn't know me and they could think I am having a relapse. 

Just noting this for now, while I mull it over. I am considering phoning the GP surgery - maybe can sort it out with a phone call.

data17

Update: trifluoperazine unavailable from manufacturer.

Stopped CT at 2mg per day - after 5 days without antipsychotic, decided to ask for replacement and taper that.

Phoned GP and got scripts for chlorpromazine as a replacement, in both pills and liquid form.

Will start with one 25mg chlorpromazine pill per day, roughly equivalent to 1mg trifluoperazine in terms of dopamine receptor blocking according to equivalence tables, but more sedative.

Watching and reading the news and Twitter was making me very paranoid and angry.

I have been watching comedy instead which has helped, got some Christmas decorations out.

data17

Just want to vent. 

Am on Day 5 without meds. Had to CT stelazine at end of November as it became unavailable from manufacturer.

Attempted replacement with Chlorpromazine went wrong - ended up in A&E on Wed with severe chest and abdominal pain.

Have stopped Chlorpromazine and now in throes of acute withdrawal - sweating, tight throat, shaky, dizzy, nauseous - and expected to go round to parents'today for Christmas with my big family. I can't face the thought of a big meal or making conversation. 

I don't know if I will be able to cope without starting an argument, but I will be guilt-tripped if I don't go. 

I don't know if I'm physically capable of getting there. I'm still in bed. 

I am strongly thinking I will go round only to deliver the kids' presents and not staying for the meal.

data17

I went to the family Christmas and stayed to give presents and chat a bit, but left before the meal. 

My aunt tried to persuade me to stay and one brother was short with me, but I can see them tomorrow or Wed when it is less hectic.

I came home and had an omelette, then ice cream, then became very sleepy and lay down listening to TV.

I then felt ill with indigestion for a few hours and had dark, depressing thoughts.

At the same time I am thinking that this is the start of my life getting better, that I am liberating myself and just need to hang on for the acute withdrawal to pass.

People already judge me anyway for being unable to work while on the drugs, so why should I care what they think of me while I withdraw. 

Now the indigestion is starting to lift - this has been a symptom every time I have cut and it should pass in a few weeks at most - my GI tract has borne the worst effects of withdrawal. As the pain eases, my mood improves.

I am sleeping OK ( but wake once in the night hot and sweating) and my memory is better. I've stopped grinding my teeth as the dose was reduced - something I'd been doing for years. The muscles in the back of my head and neck are realigning, making a lot of crunching noises, it's as if they've been locked tight and are now relaxing.

data17

Day 6 without antipsychotics. It is 8.15am here.

I have slept well but my neck feels floppy and my stomach is tender.

Mentally I am feeling angry and resentful towards my family, but it's complicated and right now the best thing is to conform and make it through today.

I can't sit upright and the acid reflux is like a knife in my chest.

Having enough sleep is the best thing, as it means I will be able to concentrate later and so I will be able to distract myself later on.

data17

MY family started the lie of my mental illness and 'i have fought for years to get taken seriously, but after decades of this I am left disabled and unable to work.

The political situation is making it impossible for disabled people to live a life of dignity and autonomy.

It kill me that I am forced to rely on family for a place to live, because of the housing crisis.

A few years ago, I had support from social work to lead my own life and not rely exclusively on family.

They acknowledged that my family was a source of harm and wrote to them telling them to back off.

Now, because of austerity and Torys destroying welfare state, I am told I must rely on family again.

Now what is expected of me is to sacrifice the rest of my life to look after my parents now they are old.

This is the condition of my life now, if I want to have a place to live.

My brothers and sisters expect it of me, because I don't have my own family or career and on top of that they are judgmental about any symptoms of illness.

I have spent decades clearing my name, so I am not in danger of being judged mentally ill anymore.

My doctor is supportive of me coming off meds, but they don't consider the effect of the environment or what it means to have been out of work your entire life.

I'm dislocated from society and can't be slotted back in. Financially. Physically. Socially.

The mental illness has been disappeared and I am right back where I started as a teenager, trying to escape my family.

It's not just them, It's the society we live in, sort of misses the point if you try and make it about a particular case.

data17

I don't like when people say things like

Don't worry what other people think

Just do your own thing/just be yourself

You can't help others until you help yourself

There's no such thing as normal

Because all that really is is selfishness and might is right,

And it applies only to certain people

the nearly normal club together thinking they are being brave for being themselves and outliers get excluded.

or the very powerful can get away with eccentricity

It's a for people in power to justify their position.

In practice for others you can get locked up, drugged, raped etc 

Here we are told Don't Get Caught

But what sort of life is it to live in hiding?

data17

I am not coping at all. I am unable to sleep because I'm burning up, my heart is thumping.

I'm feeling suicidal and panicky. I was told at A&E earlier this week that there is no psychiatric help available here unless you are already in the system.

A GP is calling this morning, but there's actually nothing they can do, because they can't prescribe antipsychotics, only a psychiatrist can.

I am getting extremely paranoid, feeling I am being deliberately shut out of society, that I'm unable to take part in this website as I am too cognitively impaired.

I have no friends here. My family are bearing down on me and refusing to accept that i am not able to do this entertaining for a 4th day in a row, yet I am forced to depend on them because of cuts in services.

I don't want to go on any longer being blamed for physical symptoms.

data17

I have phoned Samaritans 3 times but each time they were engaged.

Kristine

Hi Data, I've just read your posts and sometimes I can never find the words that may make some sort of difference. If I could I'd give you a hug. I am dumbfounded that you have been forced into CT due to not having access to medication. I am so sorry you are suffering through no fault of your own.  I feel very angry because of your ill treatment. 

I read that you have acid reflux. I did as well,  due to antipsychtoics. Every morning I drank apple cider vinegar (the one with 'the mother') ....two teaspoons in a glass of water, with a little honey. The reflux resolved in 4 days and it hasn't come back (6months).  Anyway, just wanted you to know you are not alone. K

• Citalopram 20mg - 40mg ~ approx 2010 - October 2015 (stopped over one week)
  • Parnate  20mg - 50mg and olazapine 5mg ~ Jan 2016 - May 2016 (ceased over 2 days) 
  • Lithium 450mg-900 mg and Thyroxin ~May 2016 - May 2017
  • Diazepam various doses (including PRN) ~ 2015 - 2017
  • Oxazepam various doses (including PRN) ~ May 2016 - June 2016
  • Lurasidone 20mg ~Mid May 2016 - Mid June 2016
  • Vortioxetine 10mg - 20mg ~ 6th June 2016 - 20th July 2016 (abruptly ceased)
  • Amitriptyline 200mg ~July 2016 - September 2016 (ceased over 1 week)
  • Nortriptyline  (dose ?) ~October 2016 ~ November 2016 (abruptly ceased)
  • Seroquel XR 100mg - 300mg ~ May 2016 - August 2017 (ceased over 3 weeks)
  • Escitalopram 10mg - 30mg ~ August 2016 - March 2017 (ceased over 2 weeks)
  • Bupropion 300mg ~ December 2016 - May 2017 (ceased over 1 week)
  • Clonazepam 1.5mg daily ~ July 2016 (started tapering May 2017 - September 2017 currently on 0.375mg..ie 0.125mg TDS) 27th May 2018 5% 0.357mg (possible paradoxical reaction - see benzo thread)  28th June 5% 0.337mg, 28th July 10% 0.303mg, 12th September10% 0.272mg, 18th September reinstated 10% due to intolerable WD 0.303mg, 1st October-11th Oct 10% (1% reduction over 10 days) 0.272mg, 22nd October clonazepam ceased crossed over 10mg diazepam
  •  Dexamphatamine 20mg ~ December 2016 (started tapering October 2017 - tapered 1.25mg 4th Dec 2017, 1.25mg 19th Dec 2017 6.25mg, Speed up decrease due to major interaction between Dex and fluoxetine- ref to thread 10% 17th Feb 2018 5.63mg, 10% 21st Feb 2018 5.1mg, 10% 26th Feb 2018 4.5mg 10% 28th Feb 4.1mg, 10% 1st March 3.7mg, 10% 5th March 3.3mg, 10% 8th March 3mg, 10% 10th March 2.7mg, 10% 12th March 2.4mg, 10% 14th March 2.16mg, 10% 16th March 1.94mg, 10% 18th March 1.74mg, 10% 20th March 1.57mg, 10% 21st March 1.41mg, 10% 22nd March 1.26mg, 10% 23rd March 1.13mg, 10% 24th March 1.01mg, 10% 25th March 0.9mg, 10% 27th March 0.81mg, 10% 29th March 0.73mg, 10% 31st March 0.66mg, 10% 2nd April 0.59mg , 10% 4th April 0.53mg, 10% 6th April 0.47mg, 10% 8th April 0.42mg, 10%10th April 0.37mg, 11th April 0.2mg, 12th April 0.1mg (last dose) OFF! 
  • Fluoxetine 40mg ~December 2016 -.31 Jan 2018 reduced to 20mg (probable serotonin toxicity) 10th March 2020 10mg, 7th April 9mg, 1st May 8.5mg, 15th May 8.0mg, 27th May 7.5mg, 8th Sept 7.2mg, 2nd Oct 7mg, 19th Oct 6.8mg, 28th Oct 6.6mg 
  • Diazepam 10mg ~ 22nd Oct 2018, 10th November 8mg, 14th Nov 7mg, 8th December 6mg, 30th December 5mg (Nocte), 7th March 2019 4.5mg,14th March 4mg, 5th April 3.5mg, 9th April 3mg, 18th April 2.5mg,1st May 2mg, 17th May 1.75mg, 25th May 1.6mg, 4th June 1.59mg, 5th June 1.58mg, 6th June 1.57mg, 7th June 1.56mg, 8th June 1.55mg, 22nd June 1.4mg, 4th July 1.2mg, 16th July 1mg, 30th July 0.8mg, 13th Aug 0.6mg, 28th Aug 0.4mg, 10th Sept 0.2mg, 23rd Sept Off! 
  • SR Circadin 2mg (melatonin) 25th May - 20th June 
  • Zolpidem 10mg 25th May (7 tablets)
  • Supplements: Magnesium glycinate (soluble - sip throughout the day) 

"Whenever you feel yourself doubting how far you can go,  just remember how far you have come.  Remember everything you have faced, all the battles you have won, and all the fears you have overcome"    Unknown 

data17

Thank-you so much for your reply, Kristine.

I have been getting more and more worked up, it is so good to hear another voice.

I have tried apple cider vinegar in the past without much luck, mostly it has helped to avoid food or drink before bed or certain foods, but it has tended to resolve itself in a few weeks after a cut.

Kristine

☺️ Not nice floating around in cyberspace 😕 I'm just happy I read your thread and got the chance to say Hi. It's a weird messy world we find ourselves in. Family can make our pain much worse. I have very little to do with my parents and other family members. They choose to be ignorant and unsupportive. However, I have a loving husband and son.  Is there something practical you could do, that helps? Eg. Meditation, aromatherapy? K

• Citalopram 20mg - 40mg ~ approx 2010 - October 2015 (stopped over one week)
  • Parnate  20mg - 50mg and olazapine 5mg ~ Jan 2016 - May 2016 (ceased over 2 days) 
  • Lithium 450mg-900 mg and Thyroxin ~May 2016 - May 2017
  • Diazepam various doses (including PRN) ~ 2015 - 2017
  • Oxazepam various doses (including PRN) ~ May 2016 - June 2016
  • Lurasidone 20mg ~Mid May 2016 - Mid June 2016
  • Vortioxetine 10mg - 20mg ~ 6th June 2016 - 20th July 2016 (abruptly ceased)
  • Amitriptyline 200mg ~July 2016 - September 2016 (ceased over 1 week)
  • Nortriptyline  (dose ?) ~October 2016 ~ November 2016 (abruptly ceased)
  • Seroquel XR 100mg - 300mg ~ May 2016 - August 2017 (ceased over 3 weeks)
  • Escitalopram 10mg - 30mg ~ August 2016 - March 2017 (ceased over 2 weeks)
  • Bupropion 300mg ~ December 2016 - May 2017 (ceased over 1 week)
  • Clonazepam 1.5mg daily ~ July 2016 (started tapering May 2017 - September 2017 currently on 0.375mg..ie 0.125mg TDS) 27th May 2018 5% 0.357mg (possible paradoxical reaction - see benzo thread)  28th June 5% 0.337mg, 28th July 10% 0.303mg, 12th September10% 0.272mg, 18th September reinstated 10% due to intolerable WD 0.303mg, 1st October-11th Oct 10% (1% reduction over 10 days) 0.272mg, 22nd October clonazepam ceased crossed over 10mg diazepam
  •  Dexamphatamine 20mg ~ December 2016 (started tapering October 2017 - tapered 1.25mg 4th Dec 2017, 1.25mg 19th Dec 2017 6.25mg, Speed up decrease due to major interaction between Dex and fluoxetine- ref to thread 10% 17th Feb 2018 5.63mg, 10% 21st Feb 2018 5.1mg, 10% 26th Feb 2018 4.5mg 10% 28th Feb 4.1mg, 10% 1st March 3.7mg, 10% 5th March 3.3mg, 10% 8th March 3mg, 10% 10th March 2.7mg, 10% 12th March 2.4mg, 10% 14th March 2.16mg, 10% 16th March 1.94mg, 10% 18th March 1.74mg, 10% 20th March 1.57mg, 10% 21st March 1.41mg, 10% 22nd March 1.26mg, 10% 23rd March 1.13mg, 10% 24th March 1.01mg, 10% 25th March 0.9mg, 10% 27th March 0.81mg, 10% 29th March 0.73mg, 10% 31st March 0.66mg, 10% 2nd April 0.59mg , 10% 4th April 0.53mg, 10% 6th April 0.47mg, 10% 8th April 0.42mg, 10%10th April 0.37mg, 11th April 0.2mg, 12th April 0.1mg (last dose) OFF! 
  • Fluoxetine 40mg ~December 2016 -.31 Jan 2018 reduced to 20mg (probable serotonin toxicity) 10th March 2020 10mg, 7th April 9mg, 1st May 8.5mg, 15th May 8.0mg, 27th May 7.5mg, 8th Sept 7.2mg, 2nd Oct 7mg, 19th Oct 6.8mg, 28th Oct 6.6mg 
  • Diazepam 10mg ~ 22nd Oct 2018, 10th November 8mg, 14th Nov 7mg, 8th December 6mg, 30th December 5mg (Nocte), 7th March 2019 4.5mg,14th March 4mg, 5th April 3.5mg, 9th April 3mg, 18th April 2.5mg,1st May 2mg, 17th May 1.75mg, 25th May 1.6mg, 4th June 1.59mg, 5th June 1.58mg, 6th June 1.57mg, 7th June 1.56mg, 8th June 1.55mg, 22nd June 1.4mg, 4th July 1.2mg, 16th July 1mg, 30th July 0.8mg, 13th Aug 0.6mg, 28th Aug 0.4mg, 10th Sept 0.2mg, 23rd Sept Off! 
  • SR Circadin 2mg (melatonin) 25th May - 20th June 
  • Zolpidem 10mg 25th May (7 tablets)
  • Supplements: Magnesium glycinate (soluble - sip throughout the day) 

"Whenever you feel yourself doubting how far you can go,  just remember how far you have come.  Remember everything you have faced, all the battles you have won, and all the fears you have overcome"    Unknown 

whitelily

Hello Data, I'm sorry to read of your situation, and can relate to some of it because I am also in the UK and have been on antipsychotics long term.

Not sure if I have missed something, but I find it extraordinary that your antipsychotic was suddenly unavailable.  Are you still taking the replacement drug?  

I wish I knew what else might help but I've been struggling long term too.   I did find breathing exercises helpful for a while and have begun leaning more heavily on God.  

The withdrawal of support from the government does makes things more difficult - I only just manage now on my welfare payments and have no money if anything goes wrong.  

I think you've done very well to taper as far as you have done. 

History:- 1993: - prescribed Prozac - soon started having momentary episodes of psychosis - 1994: psychotic breakdown  - prescribed high doses of antipsychotics including Depixol, Chlorpromazine (with procyclidine to control pacing) and later prescribed olanzapine, haloperidol, risperidone with different antidepressants (relapsed or crashed each time I tried to reduce or withdraw from meds).  Can't recall all combinations of drugs have been on.   2007: amisulpride 400mg & venlafaxine 75mg    2013: Got down to 150mg amisulpride, but hospitalised with v.bad psychosis after dropping to this dose and coerced into taking 600mg (always hit problems when dropping below 200mg)  2014: reduced and then problematic symptoms of psychosis, mid-Dec - back up to 200mg,

Feb 2015 had reduced to 180.5mg crashed badly and suddenly and hospitalised : prescribed 300mg amisulpride, 10 mg aripripazole, 50 mg sertraline.  Gradually reduced to 60.75mg amisulpride and 10mg abilify only by Dec 2016.  shortly after 30/1/17 two days paranoia, held and stabilised.  made 2.5% reductions in amisulpride to get to 50mg amisulpride plus 10mg abilify.  Held for long period of time to let CNS stabilise as unable to tolerate any more reductions (from Aug 2017)   April 2018 40mg amisulpride and 10mg abilify.

Current Meds: 17.6mg amisulpride, 10mg abilify plus 2000mg metformin for type II diabetes

nz11

Any update

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

data17
18 minutes ago, nz11 said:

Any update

Sorry for not posting or replying. Am OK. 

Will update properly shortly, have come down with some flu-like virus. 

RachelSusan

Hi data17,

I just read your posts.  Sadly, I don't have any words of wisdom. It's unconscionable that a medication would be discontinued without a year or two warning. I am very so sorry for your struggle.

Rachel

Find my story here:  http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/12649-rachelsusan-my-zoloft-story-on-off-reinstated-in-trouble/?hl=rachelsusan

HISTORY

Feb. 2016 to June 2016  - Was on 100mg to 150mg Zoloft. 

Quit Zoloft (Sertraline) June  2016,  reinstated 50mg of Zoloft July 2016.  From July 2016  to October 2016 went from 50 mg down 2.3 mg. I up-dosed in November 2016 to 12.5 mg. Held there until January 2017 when I started a much slower taper.

STARTING SENSIBLE  ZOLOFT TAPERING USING GUIDELINES FROM THIS SITE

Dec. 10 2016  - switched to Liquid Zoloft (Sertraline) @ 12.5 mg.   Jan 19, 2017 reduced to 12.0 mg (4%).   Feb 9 2017 reduced to 11.0 mg (8%). March 1 2017 to 10.0 mg (9 %).  March 21 2017  to 9.5 mg (5%). April 1 2017  to 9.0 mg (5.3%). April 10 2017 to 8.5 mg (5.6%). April 22 2017  8.25 mg (2.9%). April 29 2017  8.0 (3.0%). May 6 2017  7.75 mg (3.1%).  May 14 2017  7.5 mg (3.2%). May 20 2017 to 7.25 mg (3.3%). May 27 2017 reduced to 7.0 mg (3.4%). June 10 2017  to 6.75 mg (3.6%). June 17 2017 to 6.5 mg (3.7%). June 24 2017 6.25 mg (3.8%). July 1 2017 reduced to 6.0 mg. July 8 2017 5.75 mg. July 15 2017 5.5 mg. July 22 2017 5.25 mg.  Aug 5 2017  5.0 mg.  Dec. 9, 2017  4.75 mg (5%).  Feb. 10, 2018 4.50 mg.   March 15, 2018 4.375 mg (2.8% decrease). April 3, 2018 4.25 mg (2.9%). May 14, 2018 4.125% (2.9%). June 16, 2018 4.0 mg (3.0%).  July 21, 2018 3.875mg. August 11, 2018 3.75mg (3.2%). Sept. 12, 2018 3.62mg (3.3%).  Oct. 13, 2018 3.5mg (3.4% decrease). Nov. 29, 2018 3.375mg (3.6% decrease). Jan. 20, 2019 3.25 mgFeb 16, 2019 3.125mg (3.8%). April 7, 2019 3.0mg (4.0%).  May 18, 2019 2.875mg (4.2%). June 22, 2019 2.75mg (4.3%)July 27, 2019 2.62mg (4.5%). August 18, 2019 2.5mg (4.8%). Sept. 14, 2019 2.375mg (5.0%) Oct.19, 2019 2.25mg.  Nov. 16, 2019 2.12mgDec. 7, 2019 2.00mg (5.9%). Jan. 4, 2020 1.875 mg (6.3%). Jan. 25, 2020 1.75 mgFeb. 29, 2020 1.625mg (7.10%).  Apr. 4, 2020 1.5 mg. May 9, 2020 1.375 mg. June 6, 2020 1.25 mg. (9.10%). July 4, 2020 1.125 mg. (10%).  August 15, 2020 1.0 mg.  Oct 24, 2020 .875 mg.

OTHER MEDICATIONS: Gabapentin - 900 mg since July 2016, Prednisone  5mg.  QVAR Inhalant,  Supplements: Vitamin D, Probiotic, and Fish Oil.

data17
On 12/27/2017 at 4:47 AM, Kristine said:

☺️ Not nice floating around in cyberspace 😕 I'm just happy I read your thread and got the chance to say Hi. It's a weird messy world we find ourselves in. Family can make our pain much worse. I have very little to do with my parents and other family members. They choose to be ignorant and unsupportive. However, I have a loving husband and son.  Is there something practical you could do, that helps? Eg. Meditation, aromatherapy? K

Oh, I missed this before. Yes, it is a messy world and I can handle family in small doses and occasionally - I don't normally blame them to such an extent and it's not all of them and much of it was a long time ago - there would be hurt feelings if I avoided the whole thing - but they all descend on this town for about a week at Christmas and it does my head in.

I usually cope by arranging a couple of days break in a hotel by the sea to recover, once I have done my bit. Throughout the Christmas ordeal, I focus on that, picturing the waves on the beach and the fresh air, looking at it on Google Earth. But with the meds unavailable, this wasn't helping and was lovely to get support from here to get me through the night.

data17
On 12/29/2017 at 10:54 PM, whitelily said:

Hello Data, I'm sorry to read of your situation, and can relate to some of it because I am also in the UK and have been on antipsychotics long term.

Not sure if I have missed something, but I find it extraordinary that your antipsychotic was suddenly unavailable.  Are you still taking the replacement drug?  

I wish I knew what else might help but I've been struggling long term too.   I did find breathing exercises helpful for a while and have begun leaning more heavily on God.  

The withdrawal of support from the government does makes things more difficult - I only just manage now on my welfare payments and have no money if anything goes wrong.  

I think you've done very well to taper as far as you have done. 

Hi Whitelily, I have been reading your thread and can also relate to some of that too. I have also got physical health problems after long-term drug use - underactive thyroid and colon polyps as well as poor sleep and memory problems - so am keen to either stop or get on a very low dose. But I also get some psychotic sxs when reducing, so want to do it slowly. I see you have been tapering for a few years and I think I will have to do the same. I have stopped the chlopromazine replacement but, since Christmas, have got some haloperidol. Will write about this in a separate post.