Emily123: Mirtazapine insomnia

Emily123

Thanks Flatrock. I have Lunesta. I just haven't taken it in so long. I used to take it while I was taking Remeron and it did help me to get to sleep but I'm not sure I want to try it again for that.

I got a few hours sleep last night. I was sleeping so well for so long and two weeks after I cut I went into this, not sure if that's why I got the insomnia. I cut just under 10% so I'm not sure why this happened. I had some emotional stuff I was going through Sunday, but I have gotten through that.

How have you been doing? Are you stable right now? You have ben micro tapering, that's what I will probably do when I start again. I think I need to let my CNS heal some more. I have to be patient. Are your withdrawals tolerable now? I hope so. You've been through so much, you deserve it.

Currently- Remeron 6.9 mg, L-theanine, Fish Oil, Magnesium, Vitamin C

Ativan .25- .5 mg took for sleep for 5 weeks
Went on Remeron 7.5 mg and off Ativan late October 2016
March 2017 tapered off Remeron
April 9 back on Remeron to 3.75, horrible withdrawals
May 15, 7.5 mg Remeron because of insomnia
May18, 15 mg Remeron because of insomnia doctor said it would help me sleep, May 20 went back to 7.5 mg Remeron

Paxil 1999-2001 Lamictal and Effexor 2007-2009.  Also used Lunesta and Promethazine for sleep in past.

Hey Emily123, I do understand about the Lunesta. It was just a thought.  I found the Remeron affected my sleep, good or bad, at seemingly random times, so your situation seems pretty normal to me while taking it. You must be stronger than I am cuz if I lose sleep for more than a couple of nights I go a bit crazed.

I'm doing okay, thanks, how kind you are! I guess I'm stable, although every micro taper drives me nuts for 3-4 days. I'm beginning to wonder if I might as well reduce by more than 2% if I'm going to feel sh***y, you know? But, to answer your question, yes the withdrawals are tolerable now.:unsure:

Have you experienced other symptoms from the Remeron?

QUIT chlonazepam (Klonopin) 8/26/17. My dosage was less than 0.5; hard to measure exactly because I had been reducing by weight. My overall diagnosis is fibromyalgia. I'm 63 yrs old. Feeling great to be free of it!

MICRO TAPERED KLONOPIN BY WEIGHT: 5/26: .241 -- ?/?: .235 -- 7/10: .223 -- 7/24: .221 -- 7/29: .217 -- 8/1: 212 -- 8/6: .208

Switched: 8/13, reduced to 1/2 pill (a .5 pill), maintaining morning dose of weight .069. Kept micro tapering until 8/26/17.

CURURENTLY TAPERING BUSPAR: BUSPAR started in May 2017, currently: 2and1/3 15mg pill = 15+15+5= 35 mgs. Very helpful med. 11/9/17: 25 mgs. (1 and 1/3 15 mg pill)

PREVIOUS: In August 2016, after some stressful life changes, my Klonopin use went up to about 4.0. New dr jerked me down from 4.0 to 1 mg. I'm still suffering from that sudden extreme withdrawal. Plus I was put on and taken off of many other meds those first couple of months: Tizanadine, Remeron, Lexapro, Wellbutrin. A very difficult time in my life.  CURRENT: Cymbalta 60mg, maintaining. I use medical marijuana for pain as needed, usually at night. Don't take it during the day because it just makes me too dopey. I take probiotics.

I wasn't having much problem with the Remeron until I did that cut. Had a few waves around 5 and 6 days out. Then the insomnia hit and a few headaches. Today I had too much fruit and I thought I was gonna have a panic attack. It wasn't like I had a doughnut just a few pieces of fruit. This makes me not want to cut again. I probably will do some sort of micro taper like your doing eventually. Hopefully I'll get stronger.

This is one of the hardest things I'll ever do. I can see that now.

May18, 15 mg Remeron because of insomnia doctor said it would help me sleep, May 20 went back to 7.5 mg Remeron

Paxil 1999-2001 Lamictal and Effexor 2007-2009.  Also used Lunesta and Promethazine for sleep in past.

Wow, yes, this is indeed one of the hardest things we'll ever do. We are warriors!

That stinks about the fruit. And I sure know that feeling of an impending panic attack - yuck. I'm glad to hear that you haven't been afflicted by the restless leg syndrome, as I was, so that's good news!

QUIT chlonazepam (Klonopin) 8/26/17. My dosage was less than 0.5; hard to measure exactly because I had been reducing by weight. My overall diagnosis is fibromyalgia. I'm 63 yrs old. Feeling great to be free of it!

MICRO TAPERED KLONOPIN BY WEIGHT: 5/26: .241 -- ?/?: .235 -- 7/10: .223 -- 7/24: .221 -- 7/29: .217 -- 8/1: 212 -- 8/6: .208

Switched: 8/13, reduced to 1/2 pill (a .5 pill), maintaining morning dose of weight .069. Kept micro tapering until 8/26/17.

CURURENTLY TAPERING BUSPAR: BUSPAR started in May 2017, currently: 2and1/3 15mg pill = 15+15+5= 35 mgs. Very helpful med. 11/9/17: 25 mgs. (1 and 1/3 15 mg pill)

PREVIOUS: In August 2016, after some stressful life changes, my Klonopin use went up to about 4.0. New dr jerked me down from 4.0 to 1 mg. I'm still suffering from that sudden extreme withdrawal. Plus I was put on and taken off of many other meds those first couple of months: Tizanadine, Remeron, Lexapro, Wellbutrin. A very difficult time in my life.  CURRENT: Cymbalta 60mg, maintaining. I use medical marijuana for pain as needed, usually at night. Don't take it during the day because it just makes me too dopey. I take probiotics.

Did you get relief from your restless leg syndrome?

• 2 years later...
On 8/13/2017 at 11:35 PM, Emily123 said:

Did you get relief from your restless leg syndrome?

I have anxiety in my legs. Or maybe it’s restless leg, I’m not quite sure.

But, I purchased a weighted blanket and it has helped tremendously. I purchased it at Walmart fairly inexpensive.

I just wanted to give you my opinion.

I hope you are doing well.

Take care,

Frogie xx

PREVIOUS medications and discontinuations: Have been on medications since 1996. 

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

I am not a medical professional.

The suggestions I make are based on personal experience.