Malaria tablets

raven530

Hi everyone,

I'm taking a trip to Tanzania for 10 days soon and I need to take malaria tablets. I've been reading a lot about them and it does seem that they can be quite risky.

E.g. https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/aug/17/antimalarial-drug-malaria-lariam-uk-troops-tory-mp-johnny-mercer-mental-health

I'm 15 months out after cold turkeying from Sertraline. Does anyone know what tablets would be best to take to avoid aggravating withdrawal symptoms? Also have you taken malaria tablets since withdrawing from anti depressants.

I'm pretty paranoid when it comes to any medication but better safe than sorry.

Many thanks,

Raven

PSSD, Anhedonia, Loss of Imagination and creativity, physical pressure in head all from taking 50mg Sertraline for a month back in February 2015. Not seen much improvement (if any). Time of writing this signature - 01/02/2016 (UK date format)

Just in case this could be useful to anyone who stumbles upon it. I've decided not to go.. Was planning on climbing Kilimanjaro but have read some damning papers on the effects of altitude. Something to do when brain is working 100%, not worth the risk right now.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... -thin-air/

"All eight Aconcagua climbers showed cortical atrophy on MRI scans. Seven showed enlarged VR spaces, and four showed numerous subcortical lesions. Some needed no scan to tell them their brains had been injured. One climber suffered aphasia (problems with speech), from which he recovered six months later. Two complained of transient memory loss after returning, and three others struggled with bradypsychia (slowed mental function).

The body is remarkably resilient: Does the brain recover from these mountaineering wounds? To answer this question, the researchers reexamined the same climbers three years after the expedition, with no other high-altitude climbing intervening. In all cases, the damage was still apparent on the second set of scans."

It is a shame because I really wanted to rekindle a sense of achievement that's been missing from my life (even though I think battling PSSD is a real achievement in itself)

PSSD, Anhedonia, Loss of Imagination and creativity, physical pressure in head all from taking 50mg Sertraline for a month back in February 2015. Not seen much improvement (if any). Time of writing this signature - 01/02/2016 (UK date format)

I spent two weeks in Kenya during January and took the Malaria tablets with no problems.  I took the daily dose for a week ahead of time and two weeks after.  You shouldn't have a problem.  Have a wonderful trip and bring back lots of picture to share.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

going to do the West Coast trail in Canada now :) decided the altitude might be a bit too much for me in Tanzania

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy