Teresalovesshoes: Husband suffering PSSD

Teresalovesshoes

I am new to this site and found it as my husband, after 6 years of anti depressants, has permanent PSSD.  The affect is life changing for us both, and he refuses to go to see GP, as he feels there is no cure and no way out, .  In fact he wishes he had never taken the drug if he had know it had this side affect. At the time he was so unwell and gave up work and I cared for him through his time of wanting to take his own life.  I feel we have gone full circle and back to square one.   I had been thinking "he didn't fancy me" or was having an affair!  He showed me an article on PSSD and we both broke down.  Is there a way out of this....??? 

Edited by scallywag
correct username in title

Terrsalovesshoes - how long has your husband been off the drug?

Escitalopram for anxiety (dates below are approximate).

Oct 09 - Apr 10, 20mg (tapered off over about 6 weeks). 

Jun 10 - Feb 11, 20mg (tapered off over about 6 weeks). 

Jun 11 - Aug 12, 20mg (started to taper off but failed). 

Oct 12 - Dec 13, 20mg.  Dec 13 - Apr 14, 10mg.  Apr 14 - Nov 14, 5mg. 

Nov 14 - Jan 16, 20mg.  Jan 16 - Aug 16, 10mg.  Aug 16 - Dec 16, 10mg every other day.  Dec 16 - Jan 17 5mg every third day.  Jan 17 - took last tablet.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Teresa and welcome to SA,

Is your husband still taking an antidepressant?

Please create a drug signature Create Your SignaturePhone Instructions:  Withdrawal History Signature

• Please include details for the last 12-18 months of  all drugs, dates, doses and discontinuations & reinstatements.  If you can't remember dates, please write it as "early March" or "mid-August".
  • Please provide a summary of any drugs prior to that which can just be listed with start and stop years.
  • Please include all prescription, non-prescription drugs and supplements you are currently taking.
  • Please also remember to update it with date and dose whenever make a change so that it remains current. Thank you.

After we have more information we will be better able to offer suggestions.

This is your own Intro topic where you can ask questions.  You can also use it as a journal.  If you click "Follow" top right you will be notified when someone responds.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management