BJFM: reinstating remeron

username: BJFM

when stopping remeron : withdrawal symptoms: stomach pain, nausea,slow digestion, etc...loose weight

don't eat much.( stop remeron 3 wks, take doxepin 1 wk, reinstate remeron)

reinstate 3.75. mg remeron + dompéridone 10 days, up dose to 7.5 mg + dompéridone since april 17th.

gradual progress, now,no more stomach pain and nausea (still use dompéridone), I think I eat normal but

don't understand why still loosing weight, SCARY

questions: should I raise remeron or stay on 7,5 mg?

While on remeron 2014-2017 never had any kind of digestive problems, can I hope to feel that way again?

thank you very nuch

Edited by scallywag
tags

june 2014 remeron 15 mg for sleep and to eat more. jan,2015 remeron 30 mg. sept.to dec.2016: remeron 22 mg to 7.5 mg

jan. feb 2017 remeron 3.75, one week remeron 1.8?.

stop remeron march 5th (3 wks)

doxepin 6 - 15 mg march. 27th to april 6th

reinstate remeron 3.75 mg. april. 7th to 16th

remeron 7.5 mg april 17th

• Moderator Emeritus

BJFM Bienvenue à Surviving Antidepressants!

I'm sorry to read that you are having unwanted weight loss after having reinstated Remeron (mirtazapine).

The dose decreases from last September through to March may seem slow but they are quite fast compared to what we suggest. We suggest that people taper no more than 10% per month. Using this slower rate, you would have been taking approx. 7.5 mg now. It's extremely unfortunate that doctors and pharmacists don't give people better information about safely tapering.

You may find it helpful to read the first few posts in this topic: Why taper by 10% of my dosage? and to view/read the content at these two links:

How your brain responds to psychiatric drugs - aka "Brain remodeling"

Youtube video, 4 minutes: Healing from antidepressants

Symptoms disappear completely for most people over time. We can't predict how long it will take for your symptoms to ease and then to resolve fully.

Before we make a suggestion about changing your dose, it would be helpful to understand your symptom pattern. Please keep notes on paper of your symptoms and the times of your dose(s). This post has a useful format for a daily log:

Take notes of doses and symptoms.

Please post your symptoms journal in a reply post in this topic. When we see the timing of your doses and symptoms from 3-4 days, we may have more information to help you decide on a next step.

This is YOUR introduction topic -- the place for you to ask questions, record symptoms, share your progress, and connect with other members of the SA community.

I hope you'll find the information in the SA forums helpful for your situation. I'm sorry that you are in the position that you need the information, but am glad that you found us.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

BJFM:

Hello Scallywag, thank you so much to take a lot of your time to answer to me, I feel less stressy now.

notes:

avril 17 to may 1:  7.5mg remeron, 2 or 3 pills motilium, eat 900 to 1200 calories.

may2. to may 18:  7.5mg remeron, 1 or 2 pills ,motilium, eat 1100 to 1300 calories.

may 20 to june 2:  7.5mg remeron,   3 pills       motilium, eat 1300 to 1500 calories

but still loose weight ( before quitting remeron was eating about 1500 calories)

Last few days,good news: eat more and stabilize weight.

June 3: 7:30motilium( dompéridone), 9:00eat, no symptoms, 12:00 motilium,13:00eat

no symptoms, 17:00 motilium18:00 eat, no symptoms, 22:00 7.5mg

remeron. Eat about 1800 calories during day ( constipation).

June 4: idem, except that eat about 1700 calories ( constipation)

June 5- 6 idem.

next step: decrease motilium(dompéridone) and stop it.

( end of march I was feeling full just after a bit of food so I started motilium

to help with stomach emptying)

Thanks again!

june 2014 remeron 15 mg for sleep and to eat more. jan,2015 remeron 30 mg. sept.to dec.2016: remeron 22 mg to 7.5 mg

• Moderator Emeritus

In the early stages you posted were you eating little because you weren't hungry?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

BJFM:

Hello Scallywag, thank you so much to take a lot of your time to answer to me, I feel less stressy now.

notes:

avril 17 to may 1:  7.5mg remeron, 2 or 3 pills motilium, eat 900 to 1200 calories.

may2. to may 18:  7.5mg remeron, 1 or 2 pills ,motilium, eat 1100 to 1300 calories.

may 20 to june 2:  7.5mg remeron,   3 pills       motilium, eat 1300 to 1500 calories

but still loose weight ( before quitting remeron was eating about 1500 calories)

Last few days,good news: eat more and stabilize weight.

June 3: 7:30motilium( dompéridone), 9:00eat, no symptoms, 12:00 motilium,13:00eat

no symptoms, 17:00 motilium18:00 eat, no symptoms, 22:00 7.5mg

remeron. Eat about 1800 calories during day ( constipation).

June 4: idem, except that eat about 1700 calories ( constipation)

June 5- 6 idem.

next step: decrease motilium(dompéridone) and stop it.

( end of march I was feeling full just after a bit of food so I started motilium

to help with stomach emptying)

Thanks again!

BJFM:

before april17, was eating even less (500-900 calories) sometimes was hungry but after eating feel bad ( slow digestion, stomach pain) gradually got better,april 17 to may 1  can eat 900-1200 calories but not hungry for more.

BJFM:

before april17, was eating even less (500-900 calories) sometimes was hungry but after eating feel bad ( slow digestion, stomach pain) gradually got better,april 17 to may 1  can eat 900-1200 calories but not hungry for more.

• 1 year later...

BJFM: 2 years ago I reinstated remeron (7.5 mg) + 3 pills domperidone, then 2 then 1pill. ( domperidone helps with slow    

digestion)

2 years  later, I'm still taking remeron 7.5 mg + 1 pill domperidone / day., 

Second attempt to lower remeron, now I try from 7.5 mg to 6.75 mg, , slow digestion again ( gastroparesis)

go back to 7.5 mg. I'm sad.  Questions: did it failed because I didn't totally recovered from first time I tryed to stop?

( the first time , 2 years ago , I went from 7.5 to 3.75 at once without any problems)

Am I trapped at 7.5. forever?

How long did you wait before going back up in dose? It takes four day to a week for the dose change to stabilize in the blood stream and then several more days to several weeks for the symptoms that the change caused to stabilize.

I think the shock of making a 10% reduction all at one time was probably too much.  I would think that a Brassmonkey Slide would be helpful.  This would involve doing a 2.5% reduction every week for four weeks and then holding for an additional 2 weeks.  Depending on how the stomach problems go it might be an idea to stretch it a bit and do 2.5% every two weeks for 8 weeks and then an additional two week hold.  Remeron is quite well known for causing stomach problems, but we should be able to dial in the taper and find something that will work.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

BJFM

Hello Brassmonkey, thank you very much, I really appreciate that you answer to me.

1- I reduced dosage for 5 days, day 4-5 digestion problems ( gastroparesis). Kelly Brogan ( psychiatrist) says that if wd.

symptoms doesn't fade in few days, increase dosage, I was so SCARED ( I saw cases that didn't worked the second time

raising dosage) that I came back to 7.5 right away.

2- my case is complicated: I already asked  a prescription to my doctor to buy liquid remeron at Rosemont Pharm. UK

but she sayed we can't do that, I'm  scared to do it myself ( to crush pills etc...)

3- In  the past, I had 2 episodes of gastroparesis that resolved by itself ( was taking domperidone for it) but when I first started to take remeron, I had no gastroparesis and never had to take one pill of domperidone in that time, needed it only

when I stopped remeron ( wd. symptom. ) Conclusion: my stomach is fragile and remeron  when stopped is hard there.

You gave me very good informations that I will keep in mind,  I hope after some time I will be less scary and try again later.

Thanks again!

p.s. I speak french so maybe there is some mistakes...