SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Sara90: visual snow symptoms

Sara90

Hi everyone 

I withdrew cold turkey from Fluoxetine around a year ago and I've been suffering from visual snow for 7 months now . 

My question is can ssri induced visual snow go away or am I gonna be stuck with this forever? 

I was on 20 mg Prozac/Fluoxetine for 4 years and withdrew cold turkey as my gp told me that it's safe with this medication.

4-5 months later after withdrawal I developed visual snow , floaters and palinopsia . 

I wanted to edit the above post but there is no edit option.

I was on Prozac for 4 years and I withdrew cold turkey as my gp told me that prozac is a very safe drug and u can withdraw whenever and however u like . 

I developed headpressure which eventually went away but after few months I got visual snow , palinopsia and few other visual problems.

I've been stuck with these visual problems for 8 months to be exact and I'm extremely suffering from them .

can they still go away ? Or have I permanently damaged my brain ?

I was on 20 mg Prozac/Fluoxetine for 4 years and withdrew cold turkey as my gp told me that it's safe with this medication.

4-5 months later after withdrawal I developed visual snow , floaters and palinopsia . 

2 hours ago, Sara90 said:

Hi everyone 

I withdrew cold turkey from Fluoxetine around a year ago and I've been suffering from visual snow for 7 months now . 

My question is can ssri induced visual snow go away or am I gonna be stuck with this forever? 

Sara - yes many people have visual snow after months or even longer - it is all part of the withdrawals - It helps a lot if we can control our anxiety - I myself have visual problems too - floaters and distorted vision -  I find that when I relax and not fear my symptoms they seem to be better.  Have courage - and faith -  and do some mindfulness ore meditation -  just to calm anxiety -  Dont worry it is all part of WDs and it will go away in time.  

stay well and take good care  of yourself

Lee (f)

xxx

Zoloft started for 8 years - 150 mg capsules

Started tapering December 3, 2011,

Off Zoloft May 17, 2013

While tapering WDS were tolerable

Off Zoloft debilitating WDS the worst starting around 6 months off

even worse after 18 months off

Now 35 months off - still in a terrible wave for months now.

• ChessieCat changed the title to Sara90: Visual snow symptoms
3 hours ago, divalee said:

Sara - yes many people have visual snow after months or even longer - it is all part of the withdrawals - It helps a lot if we can control our anxiety - I myself have visual problems too - floaters and distorted vision -  I find that when I relax and not fear my symptoms they seem to be better.  Have courage - and faith -  and do some mindfulness ore meditation -  just to calm anxiety -  Dont worry it is all part of WDs and it will go away in time.  

stay well and take good care  of yourself

Lee (f)

xxx

Thank u for replying back lee . I really hope that ur right and that this horrible visual snow will go away with time . 

Do u know how long it might take ? 

I tried to find threads on visual snow on here but everywhere it said that ppl were still stuck with it ?.

visual snow is an absolute nightmare?.

Hey Sara90,

I also cold turkeyed off Prozac after a year of usage. Seriously wish we had known better! I also have visual snow too... I keep seeing these bright, flashing squiggly lines and dots, black dots, clear amoeba-looking things all just floating in my vision. I also see grey/black clouds? They're not that noticeable but I can kinda see them. I'm sorry you're going through this. I hope we do not have to have this permanently either. Do you have other symptoms besides visual snow?

My medication -- Prozac
August 2015: Started on 10mg/day
September 2015 to May 2016: Increased to 20mg/day
May 2016: Abruptly stopped 20mg for 2 weeks (withdrawal symtoms arose but assumed it was worsened depression)
June 2016 to August 2016: increased to 40mg (my body reacted very badly to this dose)
August 2016: decreased back to 20mg
September 2016: tapered off 10mg this month alone
September 30, 2016: last day of Prozac
October 2016: month long window
November 2016-Present: WD symptoms (too many physical sxs and some mental sxs)
February 5-20, 2017: Reinstated at 1-2mg // February 21, 2017: Back to no meds

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello Sara - welcome to SA,

I'm sorry you are still suffering, and that your doctor gave you such bad advice.  Hopefully you will feel a little less alone now you are here.  As the others have said above, recovery rates are very individual so we can't give you a definite answer - other than to say that healing does happen, if gradually.  When I first came here I got a lot of hope from reading the Intro threads of the moderators.  They painted a clear picture of healing over time.  The success stories are also good to read.  

Many people find Fish oil and Magnesium useful during withdrawal.   

Please put your withdrawal history in your signature – all drugs/dates/dosages etc - so we can see your situation easily whenever you post, and help you more accurately.  Thanks.

For some people - most unfairly - w/d does take longer to end. Are there supportive people in your life, or things that you are doing to get yourself through this difficult time? 

Have a read of those links and then you can come back to this thread to discuss things further.  This can be your journal to record your tapering and healing progress, and to ask questions. 

Welcome to SA,

Karen

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 Now on 7 micro-beads of Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

10 hours ago, anongrl5590 said:

Hey Sara90,

I also cold turkeyed off Prozac after a year of usage. Seriously wish we had known better! I also have visual snow too... I keep seeing these bright, flashing squiggly lines and dots, black dots, clear amoeba-looking things all just floating in my vision. I also see grey/black clouds? They're not that noticeable but I can kinda see them. I'm sorry you're going through this. I hope we do not have to have this permanently either. Do you have other symptoms besides visual snow?

Yes I do have other symptoms: palinopsia and floaters . 

How long do u have this ??It has made me so miserable and suicidal.

8 hours ago, KarenB said:

Hello Sara - welcome to SA,

I'm sorry you are still suffering, and that your doctor gave you such bad advice.  Hopefully you will feel a little less alone now you are here.  As the others have said above, recovery rates are very individual so we can't give you a definite answer - other than to say that healing does happen, if gradually.  When I first came here I got a lot of hope from reading the Intro threads of the moderators.  They painted a clear picture of healing over time.  The success stories are also good to read.  

Many people find Fish oil and Magnesium useful during withdrawal.   

Please put your withdrawal history in your signature – all drugs/dates/dosages etc - so we can see your situation easily whenever you post, and help you more accurately.  Thanks.

For some people - most unfairly - w/d does take longer to end. Are there supportive people in your life, or things that you are doing to get yourself through this difficult time? 

Have a read of those links and then you can come back to this thread to discuss things further.  This can be your journal to record your tapering and healing progress, and to ask questions. 

Welcome to SA,

Karen

I don't really have anyone who understands what I'm going through and I don't really have any support either. 

I'm sorry about that. Many here are in similar situations, so you're not alone.

Tim

Took my first SSRI sipralexa/lexapro/escitalopram in 2007 for depression. In 2010 the doctor switched me to paroxetine/seroxat/paxil for anxiety.

My paroxetine story from then on:

2010-15 from 10mg up to 20mg

jan 2016 30mg

may 2016 0mg cold turkey (don't!)

dec 2016 symptoms: anxiety, tremor (could barely stand)

jan 2017 reinstated at 7.5mg to taper in steps of 10%

Dose changes from may 2017 to now: 

5.0/4.7/4.4/4.0/3.7/3.5/3.3/3.1mg

8 hours ago, Sara90 said:

Yes I do have other symptoms: palinopsia and floaters . 

How long do u have this ??It has made me so miserable and suicidal.

I have had this the past 8 months as well. I cold turkeyed Prozac back in September and have had these eye floaters ever since. I'm sorry to hear you're going through this too. I think we need to just see them as withdrawal symptoms and believe they will go away as time passes. Do you have any other physical or mental symptoms too? 

My medication -- Prozac
May 2016: Abruptly stopped 20mg for 2 weeks (withdrawal symtoms arose but assumed it was worsened depression)
June 2016 to August 2016: increased to 40mg (my body reacted very badly to this dose)

On 08/06/2017 at 8:27 PM, anongrl5590 said:

I have had this the past 8 months as well. I cold turkeyed Prozac back in September and have had these eye floaters ever since. I'm sorry to hear you're going through this too. I think we need to just see them as withdrawal symptoms and believe they will go away as time passes. Do you have any other physical or mental symptoms too? 

Yes I do . I have muscle twitches but it's visual snow that is torturing me?.

1 hour ago, Sara90 said:

Yes I do . I have muscle twitches but it's visual snow that is torturing me?.

:( at least you don't have a bajillion other symptoms like me and many others have. But I know the visual snow and muscle twitches can be very, very frustrating to deal with. Are the floaters blocking your vision? Is it making it hard to do anything?

My medication -- Prozac

• Moderator Emeritus

Visual Snow Thread

You might find something in there, hopefully.  I haven't had those symptoms, but the sound awful. 

Also, after 8 months off the chances of reinstatement being successful are quite slim, but it would still be worth considering.  You could have a read of Reinstatement and Stabilising to reduce withdrawal symptoms and see what you think.  It's a very individual decision, and less likely to work after a couple of months out, but we have had some members who did have success, even with the lengthy time-frame. 

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 Now on 7 micro-beads of Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

17 hours ago, anongrl5590 said:

:( at least you don't have a bajillion other symptoms like me and many others have. But I know the visual snow and muscle twitches can be very, very frustrating to deal with. Are the floaters blocking your vision? Is it making it hard to do anything?

Visual snow is not the same as floaters but next to visual snow I have palinopsia , floaters and muscle twitches. I also have tinnitus.

this link explains some of my symptoms. It's an absolute hell to have visual problems.

12 hours ago, KarenB said:

Visual Snow Thread

You might find something in there, hopefully.  I haven't had those symptoms, but the sound awful. 

Also, after 8 months off the chances of reinstatement being successful are quite slim, but it would still be worth considering.  You could have a read of Reinstatement and Stabilising to reduce withdrawal symptoms and see what you think.  It's a very individual decision, and less likely to work after a couple of months out, but we have had some members who did have success, even with the lengthy time-frame. 

Thank u karen I will check out these links . But I'm almost a year out I don't think it's a good idea to go back on ssri's.

Hey Sara.

sorry you have this. I did a cold turkey of Prozac and have had visual snow, tinnitus, light and sound sensitivity and many other symptoms for 3 and a half years. It's very distressing and I hope if its your only symptom you should recover soon. X

Prozac 17 years 20mg.

Cold turkey Feb 2014

Restarted 2mg of prozac 26.8.18..

8 hours ago, Sara90 said:

Visual snow is not the same as floaters but next to visual snow I have palinopsia , floaters and muscle twitches. I also have tinnitus.

this link explains some of my symptoms. It's an absolute hell to have visual problems.

Ah ok I see now. I don't get the visual snow, only the eye floaters. But I am sure those visual problems must be SO frustrating! I also have tinnitus as well (I can hear it the most in the mornings and at bedtime). I'm sorry to hear you're having these symptoms. But like Eleven10 has said, if these are the only symptoms you have, you may recover sooner than you think.

My medication -- Prozac

Hello everyone,

I am new to this website and am just curious because I had a lot of visual snow when I first experienced the first phase of the SSRI withdrawal syndrome.

I had them all day long it was really scary. I noticed that I had them when I was really nervous and tired. I still have them now, when I had a bad night with poor sleep. I went to see a doctor and he told me I had retina migraine (You can find some information here: http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/retinal-migraine/Pages/Introduction.aspx)

Do you also get headaches? Are they continuous in time or do they seem to flare up and subside?

Get better soon!!

2005: started Paxil 15 mg at age 18 for general anxiety disorder; 2016: fast tapered to 5 mg, crashed

Aug 2016: 10 mg, no improvement; Sept 2016: 15 mg on MD dad's suggestion; Oct 2016:  20 mg some improvement but still miserable

Nov 2016: stopped Paxil; started Lexapro 20mg + Amisulpride 100mg  + Xanax1mg/day +  Mirtazapine 15mg

early Jan. 2017:  increased Lexapro 30 mg  Amisulpride 200mg and the Mirtazapine 30mg; quit Xanax

late Jan. 2017: quit Amisulpride and  reinstated a high dose of Paxil (60mg).

April 2017: quit Amisulpride, Mirtazapine.

June 2017: First taper to 55 mg Paxil

On 14/06/2017 at 5:08 PM, MarieJo said:

Hello everyone,

I am new to this website and am just curious because I had a lot of visual snow when I first experienced the first phase of the SSRI withdrawal syndrome.

I had them all day long it was really scary. I noticed that I had them when I was really nervous and tired. I still have them now, when I had a bad night with poor sleep. I went to see a doctor and he told me I had retina migraine (You can find some information here: http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/retinal-migraine/Pages/Introduction.aspx)

Do you also get headaches? Are they continuous in time or do they seem to flare up and subside?

Get better soon!!

Some ppl get visual snow syndrome from ssri's or after ssri withdrawal but what ur describing doesn't sound like visual snow syndrome. If u have visual snow it's a 24/7 condition u don't get any breaks from it not even with eyes closed and it doesn't depend on whether u have a good or bad day ur vision is ruined 24/7 and it's not the same as migraine aura or retinal migraines. 

There is no cure or treatment. 

These links explain a bit more about this horrible condition:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visual_snow

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/i-have-a-rare-visual-disorder-thats-like-being-on-psychedelics-all-the-time

https://www.gofundme.com/visual-snow

Hey Sara

I withdrew cold turkey from Zoloft and zyprexa in 2014 and I have had strange visual hallucinations since then.  a lot of times it feels like I am walking in a movie and my head is the camera.  I see the same static/ fuzziness and squiggly lines that you see at the end of old movies that you might view from a projector in my vision.  sometimes my field of vision gets speeded up, where everything is appears to happen faster than it normally would.  it doesn't last for long and feels like a Hollywood special effect.   I think it may be due to all the poor sleep and sleep deprivation I have I suffered since withdrawing from the meds.  lately, I have started taking meds again to see if I could stabilize my sleep again (without anything, I only get about 2 hours of sleep a day no matter how exhausted I am and continually suffer from hypnic jerks and hypnogogic hallucinations) and they have changed my perception of colors.  blues and greens seem less vibrant than before, and I sometimes see strange pixelations almost like I am in the movie Tron or the Matrix or something.  I am getting sleep again so it's kind of a weird trade off, that I may have to accept for now.

poetjester

Court committed to take Prozac, Paxci, and Respiradol from 8/95 to 3/96.   developed severe akithisia and brain damage.  Was unable to speak and walking in circles 15 hours a day.  Went in for 5 sessions of ECT during a 10 day period in March of '96 and my forced medication was discontinued at that time.  My akithisia and brain damage cleared up within a few days of stopping the meds.

On Zoloft (200 mg) and Zyprexa (17.5 mg) March 1998- Feb 2014

In between was placed on Effexor 200 mg and Abilify for six months in 2004.  Developed mild akithisia which went away once I stopped the Abilify.  Developed severe GI issues in Dec 2001 and from that time on suffered from fatigue and hypersomnia where I would sleep between 12 and 20 hours a day and rarely ever left my apartment. 

Had tapered to 100 mg of Zoloft and 7.5 mg of Zyprexa at the time of going cold turkey Feb. 2014

Went 5 days without sleep at the beginning while vomiting all over my apt.  Had brain zaps for a number of weeks and also lightheadedness which both eventually went away.  However 2 1/2 yrs later I still struggle with insomnia, depression, and fatigue.

On 16/06/2017 at 3:05 PM, PoetJester said:

Hey Sara

I withdrew cold turkey from Zoloft and zyprexa in 2014 and I have had strange visual hallucinations since then.  a lot of times it feels like I am walking in a movie and my head is the camera.  I see the same static/ fuzziness and squiggly lines that you see at the end of old movies that you might view from a projector in my vision.  sometimes my field of vision gets speeded up, where everything is appears to happen faster than it normally would.  it doesn't last for long and feels like a Hollywood special effect.   I think it may be due to all the poor sleep and sleep deprivation I have I suffered since withdrawing from the meds.  lately, I have started taking meds again to see if I could stabilize my sleep again (without anything, I only get about 2 hours of sleep a day no matter how exhausted I am and continually suffer from hypnic jerks and hypnogogic hallucinations) and they have changed my perception of colors.  blues and greens seem less vibrant than before, and I sometimes see strange pixelations almost like I am in the movie Tron or the Matrix or something.  I am getting sleep again so it's kind of a weird trade off, that I may have to accept for now.

poetjester

So ur static is not 24/7 and it only comes when ur tired ? 

What ur describing about seeing through a camera is called depersonalisation. U might want to look into that .

On 16/06/2017 at 2:05 PM, Sara90 said:

Some ppl get visual snow syndrome from ssri's or after ssri withdrawal but what ur describing doesn't sound like visual snow syndrome. If u have visual snow it's a 24/7 condition u don't get any breaks from it not even with eyes closed and it doesn't depend on whether u have a good or bad day ur vision is ruined 24/7 and it's not the same as migraine aura or retinal migraines. 

There is no cure or treatment. 

These links explain a bit more about this horrible condition:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visual_snow

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/i-have-a-rare-visual-disorder-thats-like-being-on-psychedelics-all-the-time

https://www.gofundme.com/visual-snow

Oh my god. I am so sorry for you. Is it really 24/7 non stop? I it will subside with time. Good luck, I really hope this will stop one day. Hang in there! 

2005: started Paxil 15 mg at age 18 for general anxiety disorder; 2016: fast tapered to 5 mg, crashed

Aug 2016: 10 mg, no improvement; Sept 2016: 15 mg on MD dad's suggestion; Oct 2016:  20 mg some improvement but still miserable

Nov 2016: stopped Paxil; started Lexapro 20mg + Amisulpride 100mg  + Xanax1mg/day +  Mirtazapine 15mg

early Jan. 2017:  increased Lexapro 30 mg  Amisulpride 200mg and the Mirtazapine 30mg; quit Xanax

late Jan. 2017: quit Amisulpride and  reinstated a high dose of Paxil (60mg).

April 2017: quit Amisulpride, Mirtazapine.

June 2017: First taper to 55 mg Paxil

• 1 year later...

Hi Sara. Has your visual snow gone away or improved or do you still have it? I too have visual snow and am desperately looking for some hope/answers. 

Citalopram 30mg 2008 - 2015
Citalopram 30mg + Mirtazapine 15mg 2015 - 2016
Venlafaxine 150mg + Mirtazapine 15mg then 30mg 2016 - 2017
Venlafaxine 150mg + Amitriptyline 50mg January 2017. Coming off Venlafaxine took about 8 months 
March 2018 stopped venlafaxine. Increased amitriptyline to 150mg over two weeks end of March. Couldn't tolerate side effects. CT for 5 days then went back to 50mg amitriptyline since 8 April 2018

• 2 weeks later...

Same here, plus the palinopsia. Came on when i started mirtazapine, got worse when i went up to 30mg and getting worse now I'm coming off - really dont know what to do! :-(

Mirtazapine 15mg 16/04/2018 - 29/06/2018  (10 weeks)

Mirtazapine 30mg 30/06/2018 - 12/07/2018  (2 weeks)

Mirtazapine 15mg 13/07/2018 - 16/07/2018  (4 days)

Sertraline 50mg 17/07/2018 - 20/07/2018 (4 days)

Mirtazapine 15mg 21/07/2018 -  28/07/2018  (1 week)

Tapered down to 11.25 over 10 days, stuck at 11.25 for a week, tapered down to 7.5 over 7 days, stuck at 7.5 since along with CBD oil 1 drop twice a day 

• 2 weeks later...

RobbieP how long have you had visual snow? 

Venlafaxine 150mg + Amitriptyline 50mg January 2017. Coming off Venlafaxine took about 8 months 
March 2018 stopped venlafaxine. Increased amitriptyline to 150mg over two weeks end of March. Couldn't tolerate side effects. CT for 5 days then went back to 50mg amitriptyline since 8 April 2018

Hi. I CT Prozac almost 5 years ago and have had snow ever since. I also have vertigo, migraines and other vision and balance problems and tinnitus 

it is very distressing. I can empathise 

Have you reported this on Dr Healy’s risk.org site?

Prozac 17 years 20mg.

Cold turkey Feb 2014

Restarted 2mg of prozac 26.8.18..

I still hoped my problems with eyes would go away

05/2013 Lyrica 100 mg / per day for pain + PGAD resulting from caesarian delivery11/2014 started to taper: 50 mg per day/ for one week then c/tafter one month reinstated at 50 mg /per days of 10 July 2015 drug free-

symptoms OCD

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/7/2017 at 6:28 PM, Sara90 said:

Hi everyone 

Hi Sara90. Has your visual snow improved? 

• 4 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Discussion between Ahms and Eleven10 has been moved to Eleven10's intro topic.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• ChessieCat changed the title to Sara90: visual snow symptoms