Recommended doctors, therapists, and clinics

Ucfgemini

DataGuy
22 hours ago, Katy398 said:

-He’s very open to discussing ‘Withdrawal’ 

-He mentioned compounding chemists when discussing tapering!!

-There was even, dare I say some questioning surrounding antidepressant efficacy!!!

-And he’s a Psychiatrist!! A first in my opinion but naturally very, very busy!!!

Thanks @Katy398, that is very helpful feedback.

Hope he is able to give you some good support : )

Remeron - 2004-2005 (bad withdrawal)

Clonazepam - 2005-2018 (jumped around March)

Olanzapine - 2014- late 2017

Domperidone - 2008-2018

Many drugs in between including Lexapro, other benzos and z-drugs.

Still suffering post-withdrawal from Clonazepam (Klonopin), Olanzapine and Domperidone. 

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Altostrata

• Mort81

• compsports

• JanCarol

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Jennifer Giordano, DO Dr. Giordano is a holistic psychiatrist who sees patients age 12 and older in Virginia, Michigan, New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, George, Florida, Arizona, Oregon and ot

Here is a California, US doctor accepting California patients for benzo tapering.   Nathaniel E. Lepp, MD MPH https://www.safetaper.com/about   https://www.safetaper.com/value

Just wanted to make a couple of nominations. I'm working both a family doctor and a therapist who understand withdrawal and who might be a good fit for others in this group.   I was lucky en

Katy398
10 hours ago, DataGuy said:

Thanks @Katy398, that is very helpful feedback.

Hope he is able to give you some good support : )

No Thank You @DataGuyfrom all that way, across the seas: )

Lexapro Fast Track/ Cold Turkey

Last dose end Dec 2018 

Tapered 1/2 a daily dose a week (20mg) for  14 weeks, last dose was a 20 mg pill!!  

3.5 times slower than Psychiatrist recommended, I felt proud of myself!! Little did I know!!!!Got too scared to reinstate because I’d left it too long.

On ADs for 20 years (Prozac approx 10 years/ Pristiq approx 3 years/ Citalipram approx 2 years/. Lexapro a approx  5 years/. Last two years 40mgs Lexapro day.

• 2 weeks later...
Michigan

Just wanted to make a couple of nominations. I'm working both a family doctor and a therapist who understand withdrawal and who might be a good fit for others in this group.

I was lucky enough to find a local family doctor who has been amazing.

His name is Dr Peter Macfield at Breton Village Family Medicine in Grand Rapids, MI. He offers remote consults as of last year. Not sure if it's only for certain states or if it's nationwide. 

Website is https://www.macfieldmd.com/

My previous doctor drank the big pharma kool-aid big time. He tried giving me the spiel about how antidepressants are like insulin for diabetics, yadda yadda, and then told me that withdrawal syndrome didn't exist and it was just an "unmasking" of symptoms. Discouraged me from getting off from meds. Said that supplements were worthless. Encouraged a low fat diet, which has been all but debunked. Anyway, we've all met these types, right?

In contrast, Dr Macfield is amazing. He's a DO with an interest in functional and holistic medicine. Rarely prescribes antidepressants, and when he does, it's typically for no more than 6 months. He tries everything else first. He's comfortable helping patients to come off from antidepressants and antipsychotics. Absolutely believes that PAWS is a real thing. He's comfortable optimizing hormones, and believes that they play a major role in mental health. He focused on diet, lifestyle, supplements etc too. And he trusts patients to know their own bodies, and he'll give you just about whatever you ask for, within reason. He's one in a million when it comes to family practice doctors. The one downside is that his office seems to operate only part time. He's only in the office Tuesdays and Thursdays. Not sure what he does the rest of the time. From what I know of him, I wouldn't be surprised if he has some cool side business or hobby that he works on. 

And then I'd also like to nominate a therapist whom I've been working with.

Her name is Kelli Foulkrod. Her website is https://organicmentalhealthcenter.com/

I had actually contact Dr John Breeding, who is recommended elsewhere in this thread. He said that he was booked solid, but he highly recommended Kelli. She's been SO great thus far. She's a survivor of psychiatric medications herself. She takes a holistic approach, grounded in IFS (internal family systems). She's a little bit hippie-ish and new agey, but I like that. She 100% believes in withdrawal syndrome and PAWS, has stated that she believes these meds cause brain damage that takes a long time to heal, and is familiar with this forum and others in the withdrawal community.

She's actually leaving her practice in July to cofound an outpatient clinic in Austin devoted to helping people who are withdrawing from psychiatric medications. 

I feel like this woman could be a powerful ally to this group in general. 

Anyway, we spend about half of each session talking about withdrawal; symptoms, coping strategies etc. And then the other half addressing the underlying issues that lead to taking meds in the first place. 

Let me know if anyone has questions! 

-SSRIs starting at age 16 - around 1996. Tried just about every one available for a period of a few years. Stabilized on Zoloft. Have been on it since about 2003.

-Added .5mg Haldol for Tourette's and OCD in 2005

-Tapered in fall/winter of 2012, got off of Zoloft completely. Think I went too fast. Long term withdrawal symptoms persisted for months, to the point that I went back to a 100mg dose.

-Found this site, tapered using the 10% plan in 2015. It was really rough. Went back on Zoloft at 100mg.

-Found a great therapist in 2017, learned new self care skills. Started tapering again. Got down to 50mg Zoloft, .4mg Haldol by late 2017 (? - memories a little fuzzy these days)

- Taper got rough again. Held dose at 50mg Zoloft, .4mg Haldol through early 2018. Wife had a baby. Was putting in a lot of hours at work. Had a "poop out". Brain fog, debilitating fatigue, and the works.

- Consulted with a health coach who specializes in mental health and psychiatric drug withdrawal. Developed a plan that involved hormones and supplements. Did a fairly rapid taper on Zoloft and Haldol over the course of 1 year. Felt awful, but it was manageable with the help of the hormones/supplements and frequent visits to my therapist. Psychiatric drug free as of 4/2020. I have about 10 months off of Haldol now, and 6 months off of Zoloft. Battling long term, protracted withdrawal symptoms, and going through h*ll, but so far I've managed to (just barely) keep my high paying job and maintain my relationship with my wife. (Updated 10/2020)

Hopepersists

I’ve had a really positive experience with my psychiatrist, Dr. Deborah Reed.  She’s very kind, intuitive and truly seems to understand what’s going on with our bodies.   She helped me to obtain a prescription from a local compound pharmacy to help me taper and told me that I should go as slow and small as works best for me and that she’s there to support me.  

She also a supporter of CBT techniques as well as integrative modalities like meditation, relaxation exercises and acupuncture.  

While she initially offered me the option to cross taper from Celexa to fluoxetine, she quickly agreed with me that approach wasn’t the best fit given my goals and my current physical symptoms. I feel like she actually listens to the patient.   

She is located in Lake Forest, IL but everything is currently done via zoom due to Covid.  

+1 (847) 295-4248

I also had a good compounding experience with Mark drugs in Deerfield, Illinois.  They made a liquid form from my branded Celexa pills. 

2014-2021 .0625mg Xanax as needed

2017 20 mg Celexa, 2018 10 mg

June 2020 - 15 mg Celexa 

Sept 2020 10 mg Celexa (2 week taper of alternating 15/10 doses)

1/6/21 15 mg Clx, 1/28/21 10 mg no taper

Late Feb 15 mg Celexa reinstatement 

Late March - 1 week 15/10 mg taper

3/31/21 15 mg Celexa
4/30/21- 15 mg split dose (7.5 am & pm)

5/28 - 15 mg, transition 5 mg to liquid

6/22 14.5 mg, 7/12 14.4 mg, 9/12 14.3 mg

200 Mg Glyc, probiotic, 2,000 IU Vit D, 2,000 mg fish oil, 1000 mg Vit C, Cortisol Manager 

• Administrator
Altostrata

It's heartening to see people finally finding informed doctors and therapists.

BTW, I just had a Zoom call with Dr. Lieblich. Australian members would do well to contact him.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrator
Altostrata

Here is a California, US doctor accepting California patients for benzo tapering.

Nathaniel E. Lepp, MD MPH

https://www.safetaper.com/about

https://www.safetaper.com/values

SAFETAPER is guided by the four cornerstones of biomedical ethics.

Autonomy

We seek to empower patients who struggle with a dependence on benzodiazepines.  SafeTaper seeks to help patients establish their optimal neurochemistry and overcome their physical dependence upon their benzodiazepine. 

We believe that the patient should be in the driver’s seat of their own medical care.  The patient’s own desire to get well is one of the most powerful forces of healing available to the patient.  We will work with our patients towards their freedom, empowerment, and healing.  Patients will be afforded choice during the taper process: start and end of taper, taper time interval, taper dose interval, and taper pauses.

Justice

SafeTaper was created to right a wrong.  We seek to correct the process of benzodiazepine over-prescribing by helping patients safely and slowly taper patients off of benzodiazepines.

Knowingly and unknowingly, physicians have caused harm to patients by over-prescribing benzodiazepines, which can produce profound physical and/or psychological dependence.  Many patients were never informed of the risk of dependence prior to the initiation of the prescription.  Many patients are harmed by their ongoing use of benzodiazepines. 

Benzodiazepines dependence affects people of all types.  Over time, we will build an inclusive practice that serves all benzodiazepine-dependent people regardless of income or insurance.  

Beneficence

Benzodiazepines are safe when taken for a limited time (roughly 2 to 4 weeks).  However, when taken for months or years, the medication loses its effectiveness and produces dependence and other harms.  We believe that long-term use of benzodiazepines almost always represents a net negative for the patient (that the harms outweigh the benefits).

Given that many patients have been prescribed benzodiazepines for a long time, and that we believe that such prescriptions harm patients, we believe that many patients on long-term benzodiazepines will be well served to discontinue taking benzodiazepines under medical supervision.  SafeTaper was built to safely and slowly taper patients off of benzodiazepines.

Non-Maleficence

Rapid discontinuation of benzodiazepines can cause an uncomfortable and occasionally dangerous benzodiazepine withdrawal syndrome.  We pledge to minimize harm to our patients by very gradually tapering - or reducing - the amount of prescribed benzodiazepine until the patient can safely discontinue. 

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

• 1 month later...
Jojomama

Any doctors in the Austin Texas area that specialize in tapering? I can’t seem to find any. Looked on the mad in America prover directory and didn’t find any there either. 

1998- pediatric ocd dx 40 mg Prozac

2006- trial of anafranil, failed back to Prozac

2007- trial of paxil, few months, weight gain, cold turkey no issues, back to Prozac

2008- panic disorder dx- .25-.5 mg Xanax prn, but developed dependence until 2017, cold turkeyd for pregnancy

2009- Prozac

2010-2012- Zoloft, fatigue, weight gain switch to Effexor

2012-2013- Effexor with bad constipation issues

2013- Prozac, cold turkey, no issues until 4 months later, destabilized, then back to Effexor

2013-2016- Effexor and Dexedrine. 

2017- switch to lexapro, tried to cold turkey, ended up with bad panic attacks. Put on 50 mg pristiq. Quit benzos, quit Dexedrine ct

Now 2021- pristiq 50 mg with 50 mg ketamine troches x3 weekly, attempted taper in June cut by 50% in 3 days, nausea, panic

Late June, second attempt with compound ex to 45.5 mg, did for two weeks, depression/crying/fatigue, reinstated last week of June to 50 mg. Early July- now suffering nausea, headache, food sensitivity, depression, dizzy feelings, panic. 

• 1 month later...

The doctor I was seeing, who was wonderful and allowing me to taper at my own pace, relocated to a different state. I now have an appointment with the physician who is replacing him. In case this physician refuses to continue to prescribe my med, I want to have a plan B and C in place. 

I'm in Louisville, KY, USA. I've kept my medical care in Cincinnati, but want to be prepared for the worst. 

I saw at one point a list of resources that included medical doctors who will continue to prescribe meds until the end of a proper taper, but lists become outdated. Does anyone have an updated list of resources relevant today, Sept 2021?

Thank you!

2005-2009 Various ADs and maybe some random Ativan, nothing long-term

2009 Started Celexa 10 mg

2012 Symptoms of depression worsened when I quit drinking, started a course of Viibryd (10 mg), Buspar (5 mg), Xanax

2013 Hospitalized, added Lamictal in the hospital (quit Lamictal cold turkey in 2014)

2014 Switched back to Celexa from Viibryd

2015 Quit Buspar cold turkey

2016 Cut down to 5 mg of Celexa (all seemingly without issues)

June-August 2017 tapered off Celexa

October 2017 Hospitalized for insomnia (quit sleeping entirely)

reinstated w/ Trintellix 5mg (stopped in 1/18) and 7.5 mg of Mirtazapine

Mirtazapine (in mgs) 2/18 5,  6/19 3.5, 9/25/19 3.2, 2/24/20 2.9, 3/2020 2.85, 6/20/20 2.5, 10/3/20 2.3, 11/30/20 2.1, 1/1/21 1.95 3/19/21 1.86 9/1/21 1.65

400 mgs magnesium OTC Miralax daily stopped Vitamin C, too activating.

• Administrator

@LiaJ we do the best we can with the members' recommendations in this topic. 

Unfortunately, doctors who will assist a taper are few and far between (but becoming a little more common every day). The best way for you to find such a doctor in Austin, TX (or your state, many are doing telemedicine appointments) is to phone them and ask them. If you find such, please post here!

If you can recommend your doctor who relocated, please also post their contact information here for people in that state.

• Administrator
On 1/20/2021 at 11:30 AM, dsydney said:

Does anyone have any recommendations for therapists that can work with someone going through a taper.  I am looking for someone that can do it online.  If you know of someone, I would greatly appreciate the information.  Thank you.

Dr. MJ Paris, 870 Market St. Ste 624 San Francisco, CA 94102. (415) 982-4357, is doing telemedicine appointments.

If she is not covered by your insurance, she will accept out-of-pocket clients and clients in other countries.

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy