Recommended doctors, therapists, and clinics

Altostrata

Dr. Jack E. Rosenblatt

25 N Caroline St
Baltimore, MD 21231
(301) 873-7904

7000 Carmichael Ave
Bethesda, MD 20817

Dr. Rosenblatt, a psychiatrist, is very knowledgeable about tapering psychiatric drugs slowly at the rate of individual tolerance. I just had an extensive conversation with him.

arwilliams

If you can edit the post Daniel Johnson, MD, Asheville, North Carolina currently works in Forest City,  NC and is in patient only according to the office (828) 248-1117.  I tracked down where he works and was rather disappointed.  They would not give me his personal phone number.  Most in the South East are not accepting patients currently which I called unfortunately but I know this may change for others. 

SkyBlue

This is an online doctor site that might be an option for refills (probably not tapering advice, etc):

https://www.doctorondemand.com has an initial online visit w/psychiatry for $229 which is (sadly) not a bad deal. 

I do not have experience with it. Please let us know if you try it and whether you would recommend. I'm thinking it could be an option for refills if someone has exhausted other options/providers. 

Dabhob33
40 minutes ago, SkyBlue said:

This is an online doctor site that might be an option for refills (probably not tapering advice, etc):

https://www.doctorondemand.com has an initial online visit w/psychiatry for $229 which is (sadly) not a bad deal. 

I do not have experience with it. Please let us know if you try it and whether you would recommend. I'm thinking it could be an option for refills if someone has exhausted other options/providers. 

Unfortunately it doesn’t help with benzo taper.   They don’t rx conttolled substances.  

SkyBlue
31 minutes ago, Dabhob33 said:

Unfortunately it doesn’t help with benzo taper.   They don’t rx conttolled substances.  

No. Nowhere online is likely to prescribe benzos.

Rabe

and theres a kicker too..when you have a doctor who is prescribing things for you there is a fear of losing that if you dare deviate from advice because some just say no....then where are you?  Its all so messed up and sad...

Rezten
On 10/9/2012 at 12:37 PM, fj929 said:

Harold R. Jordan, M.D.
53 Center St
Northampton, MA 01060
(413) 586-5555 (Office)

1233 Main St
Holyoke, MA 01040
(413) 536-5111 (Office)

Dr Jordan is a believer in long term withdrawal from SSRI's. He's a nice guy who is easy to talk to.

NOTE 10/18/13 : A member reports Dr. Jordan is no longer at either of these locations. If anyone knows his new office, please let us know.

Here is his current information. I have not spoken with him at this point in time, but am considering giving him a call

http://doctorjordan.org

Manny78

Any psy doc from Germany? 

Jewlz

Hello everyone-any updates on providers who assist in tapering duloxetine in the Central United States, specifically western Missouri or eastern Kansas? St. Louis is do-able but a 5 hour drive. Thanks!

planifolia

Hello. Anyone know any psychiatrist in Asia? 

Altostrata

Very unlikely, planifolia.

This psychiatrist in London, Ontario, Canada, has written a sympathetic article about tapering and withdrawal:

Psychiatrists don't know all. Sometimes, they need to defer to patients' lived experiences

https://www.cbc.ca/news/opinion/antidepressant-weaning-1.5069789

Dr. Javeed Sukhera is an assistant professor of psychiatry and paediatrics at the Schulich School of Medicine and Dentistry at Western University. He also has a PhD in education and researches stigma, equity and implicit bias within health professions education.

eymen23
Posted (edited)

Hi all,

I have what may be some very positive and exciting news for U.K. members. Today I went to London and met a new psychiatrist who I found online. I could tell from her biography that she did not see medication as the key to solving emotional symptoms. 

She was like a breath of fresh air compared to my GP and recent psychiatrist. She really listened to my medical history and lifestyle. She asked deep and important questions about my values, my relationships, what stresses me out etc. Lastly, she agreed I appear to have an adverse reaction to Escitalopram and despite not having done it before, she wrote me a private script for compounded liquid. She said she regularly prescribes the NHS available SSRI liquids to patients.

Although she wasn’t totally in line with everything we encourage here (10% drops per month for example), she definitely valued the importance of tapering as slowly as required by a patient and she was totally non-pressuring in regards to how quickly I should taper. She was very flexible and valued the importance of working as a doctor-patient team, rather playing a dictator role.

The only downside is that without medical insurance she is very expensive to see as she works privately on Harley Street. My first consultation set met me back a smooth £500, but she respected I’m self funded and noted that I do not have to see her on fixed intervals and can email her briefly outside of appointments, without worrying about payment. She also noted I can see her in future using Skype and follow-ups are cheaper.

Her name is Dr Nagore Benito. I told her about this site and she said it was ok to put her details here. 

http://drbenito.co.uk

pa at symbol drbenito dot co dot uk

07714 203320

I am in no way affiliated with Dr Benito and will of course update this if I have any issues with treatment in the future. In the meantime I’m very happy to finally have somebody who listens. 

Edited by ChessieCat
changed email address to try to stop bots

Altostrata

Hello, everyone, thanks for your suggestions and posts about your experiences with listed clinicians and tapering off psychiatric drugs.

I have to chase down every mention of a doctor here, which is very time-consuming and why I haven't updated this topic for a while.

Let's work together on this: If you're posting a recommendation here, please also post contact information for the practitioner and, if possible, a link to information about the person.

I personally appreciate you're doing the extra work on this. Thank you.

ShiningLight

I called the office of Paul Abramsom MD today seeking help with slow taper of gabapentin (since my current psychiatrist refuses to call in rxs to compounding pharmacy and also isn't very available).

The receptionist took my info and will ask the MD, but warned me up front the MD is "aggressive with his tapers." 😡

I'm waiting for a call back to see if another provider at the same location will accept me, however, he is the medical director of this practice, so I feel unsafe going there hearing those words. Maybe he's different with antidepressants? I did tell the receptionist that I'm med sensitive and developed problems going off too quickly, but I bet that gets translated into "addict."

planifolia

I have tried to contact Dr Yolanda Lucire, but she is currently unable to take patients as her practice has been suspended by authorities. This is due to a suicide incidence last year. 

mdwstrx

Hello. 

Seeking the name of a good therapist/counselor and doctor to help with health anxiety and other issues for a friend living in St. Louis metro east area in IL.  Unfortunately, the friend just started Sertraline at the direction of her Dr.

Thanks!

Ryder

Doctors will support if they can see you making process. At some point, you gotta take the decision into your own hands to taper down.

mdwstrx

Thanks Ryder.  This person needs counseling and could use a good therapist which is very hard to find.  I threw in the doctor since the one they are seeing started Sertraline. :(