☼ PennyLane26: Need advice-Paxil Withdrawal

PennyLane26

Link to Penny's success story:  PennyLane26 Success Story- Protracted Paxil Withdrawal

Hi all- 

I am new to this site and would like some advice. Here is the deal;  I have been weaning off of 15 mg Paxil slowly since January 2016. Before that I was on it (off once 4 months ) for approximately three years.   I had been supplementing with five 5 HTP and it helped me get down to 5 mg. Like an idiot, I took way too much and gave myself serotonin syndrome.  I was then instructed by my doctor to stop all supplementation as well as the 5 MG of Paxil . This is when withdrawal hit. I was then prescribed 5 mg of Ambien as I was having severe insomnia.   I reinstated 1 mg of Paxil in April to stabilize, and it helped somwhat. I have been doing pretty well up until now as I was getting sleep. Sleep is my biggest issue right now I do feel I cannot cope without it.

Now the Ambien seems to not be working as effectively and I am having increased anxiety, severe  depression and no motivation.  I really want to get off the Ambien and I am contemplating reinstating even more Paxil to stabilize.

If anyone has any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it! 

Edited by ChessieCat
added link

-Started 15 mg Paxil in May of 2013

-Tapered completely off Paxil May of 2014

-Went back on Paxil 10 mg end of September 2014

-Increased to 15 mg of Paxil mid September 2015

- Started weaning off of Paxil January 2016 at approximately 10% and started supplementation of 5htp. 

-End of February 2017, experienced serotonin syndrome quit Paxil and 5htp completely. Prescribed 5 mg of Ambien.

-Mid April 2017, reinstated 1 mg of Paxil

-October 2017, weaned off of Ambien

-November 27, 2017 weaned completely off of Paxil

Psych med free since 11/27/17

• scallywag changed the title to PennyLane26: Need advice-Paxil Withdrawl
  • Moderator Emeritus

PennyLane -- Welcome to Surviving Antidepressants (SA)

Like many people you did the best you knew to do. Your doctor probably didn't advise you how to taper off Paxil and obviously didn't advise against using serotonergic substances such as 5-HTP.  I'm sorry you've found yourself in such a difficult situation.

A request: Would you summarize your history in a signature -- drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements, in the last 12-24 months particularly?

• Any drugs prior to 24 months ago can just be listed with start and stop years.
  • Please use actual dates or approximate dates (mid-June, Late October) rather than relative time frames (last week, 3 months ago)
  • Spell out months, e.g. "October" or "Oct."; 9/1/2016 can be interpreted as Jan. 9, 2016 or Sept. 1, 2016.
  • Please leave out symptoms and diagnoses.
  • A list is easier to understand than one or multiple paragraphs.
  • Here's the link to Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature.

After a disruption or shock such as serotonin system your CNS (central nervous system) is probably destabilized; this sensitivity/instability is most likely the source of your symptoms. When dealing with a destabilized CNS, it's best to keep things as steady as possible. Please read:

3KIS: Keep it slow. Keep it simple. Keep it stable.

It can take may weeks, more than the 6-8 that have passed since your reinstatement, for symptoms to stabilize, let alone ease or diminish.  Please read

How long to stabilize after reinstating or updosing.

Please do not increase your dose back to 5 mg; that is likely to be another shock to your system, worsening your symptoms and/or creating new ones. 

To assist us in pointing you to the best information so you can make informed decisions about your next steps, please post a signature and keep notes on paper of your symptoms and the times of your dose(s). This post has a useful format for a daily log:

Take notes of doses and symptoms.

Some other discussion topics relevant to your situation:

Before you begin tapering -- what you need to know.

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?.

Tips for tapering off Paxil (paroxetine)

I hope you'll find the information in the SA forums helpful for your situation. I'm sorry that you are in the position that you need the information, but am glad that you found us.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

• scallywag changed the title to PennyLane26: Need advice-Paxil Withdrawal

Hi scallywag-

Thank you for your reply! I have updated my drug signature. I had started the 5 HTP supplementation after reading The Mood Cure. It was extremely helpful in gettting down to the 5 mg of Paxil, however, I didn't listen to my body and was up to 600 mg, thinking I needed more as symptoms appeared (stupid decision, I'm a small female). This caused extreme insomnia and nausea after about a week when I was then told to stop taking everything. 

I did feel pretty good after about a week after the reinstatement up until 2 weeks ago. I agree that I should not increase my dose, I need to just stick it out. I guess my question is do you think this is just a wave? I am very bothered that I am now taking ambien as well. Do you think I should ride out the wave before attempting to taper from that as well?

Any advice is much appreciated! 

- Started weaning off of Paxil January 2016 at approximately 10% and started supplementation of 5htp. 

-End of February 2017, experienced serotonin syndrome quit Paxil and 5htp completely. Prescribed 5 mg of Ambien.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello Pennylane,

It does seem likely that it is a wave.  It can be tempting to respond to waves by tinkering with doses, but in the end that just leads to further destabilisation as it's another change for your brain to deal with.  I imagine you've read the Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilisation?  The fact that you had been feeling better prior to this wave is a good indication that you are starting to stabilise.

Focus on self-care is important now, as it makes a big difference to our ability to 'ride it out.'

Welcome to SA,

Karen

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 December - Now on 5 micro-beads Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops. Symptoms begin to increase.

2024 April - Updosed to 6 microbeads - immediate increase in symptoms for 4 days. Decreased to 5 microbeads.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

• Moderator Emeritus

In addition to KarenB's suggestion of (re-)reading the discussion on windows and waves, you might find it helpful to read the explanations about why stability is important at these links:

How your brain responds to psychiatric drugs - aka "Brain remodeling"

Youtube video, 4 minutes: Healing from antidepressants

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction

Great! Thank you for your help, I have looked over all of this information. I am starting to feel a little better. When going through bad waves my insomnia gets pretty bad, which is the most bothersome. Do you advise waiting until I am more stable until tapering off of zolpidiem? Or should I start that process now even though I am not feeling well?

Thank you again!

• Moderator Emeritus

Postponing dose decreases until one's symptoms are stable is almost always recommended. :D

scallywag's Introduction

• 6 months later...

Hello

I am having a terrible time coming off Paxil.  I reinstated to 1mg after 2 months at zero, but this didn't help, so I updosed to 2.5 mg.  I have been on this dose since July 2017, but I don't feel any relief.  Would it be best to start tapering again or keep holding?

It's hellish mentally and physically every day.

Thanks

Nada

On Paxil 10mg  2008-2015

Withdrew Paxil Sept 2015 - Dec 2016

Reinstated 1mg Paxil end Jan. 2017

Updosed  to 2.5mg Paxil June 2017

Reinstatement not working

Benadryl 25mg some nights 

Hi Nada-

I have found great relief by following the protocol in the book A Mind of Your Own by Kelly Brogan. I highly suggest reading it and implementing her suggestions. I'm not a moderator but I would say stay at your current dose until you feel better and then taper. Let me know if you have any questions!

• 11 months later...
  • Administrator

PennyLane has written a Success Story here PennyLane26 Success Story- Protracted Paxil Withdrawal

This calls for our cheerful "here comes the sun" symbol ☼ to be added to the title of your Intro topic, to show you're recovering.

According to our tradition, I'm locking this topic now. Please congratulate PennyLane in her Success Story topic.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Altostrata locked this topic