Cherryann: Weight issues

Cherryann

I've had a strong family history both maternal and paternal sides of family with depression. My mother has always battled depression. My dads sister was bi-polar and took her own life years ago. 2 years ago my brother took his own life the day after my birthday with no signs whatsoever that he was battling depression at all. After that I myself went into a bad bout of depression with guilt and remorse. I had to get help with medication, as I was understanding what he was feeling. 

I finaly had to get help. Before this I was in the best shape of my life. After battling with weight my whole life I was finally healthy and athletic and fit. I was doing crossfit and healthy mentally and physically. After my own bout of depression and taking months to get meds right. I was most recently up to 450 mg of bupropion. And 60 mg of fluexatine.  I am now 60 lb heavier.... 

For months I have been back at the gym and working out and following weight watchers. I haven't lost a thing... after journaling and keeping track of workouts and diet, my regular Dr. and I have come to the fact that it is the medication that is doing something to my metabolism. I have been weaning off of Wellbutrin every week decreasing by 150 mg a week. I am now at 150 mg every other day. For now. I have been weaned off the Prozac and started on Trintellix 5mg and will go up to 20mg. Wondering if I should just get off altogether of everything so I can lose this weight... someone please help? Any advice would be great! 

3 tbs 150 mg bupropion HCL XL daily

3 tbs fluoxetine HCL 20 mg tab. 

For 1 1/2 years 

reduced 1 pill per week 

most recent 

down to 150 mg bupropion every other day 

no more fluoxetine 

introduced to 10 mg trintellix a day. 

• KarenB changed the title to Cherryann: Weight issues
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hello Cherryann - Welcome to SA,

You are right about the drugs causing weight issues - many of our members have this same problem.    Please put your withdrawal history in your signature – all drugs/dates/dosages etc. so we can see your situation easily whenever you post, and help you more accurately.  Thanks.

3 hours ago, Cherryann said:

I have been weaning off of Wellbutrin every week decreasing by 150 mg a week. I am now at 150 mg every other day.

Alternating doses is actually a very harsh way to reduce.  They say it's like playing ping-pong with your brain - ouch!  Your Central Nervous System can get really destabilised.  You could resolve this easily by taking 75mg daily. 

It's also important to reduce by smaller amounts than you have been.  We recommend a gentle taper, reducing by no more than 10% of your current dose each month.  This allows your brain time to adjust as you go, and lessens any withdrawal.  Keep it Simple; Keep it Slow; Keep it Stable  Have you had any withdrawal symptoms so far?  Symptom Checklist.  It's a good idea not to reduce any further until you are feeling stable.

3 hours ago, Cherryann said:

Wondering if I should just get off altogether of everything so I can lose this weight... someone please help? Any advice would be great! 

This really depends on your view of the bigger picture - which books like Anatomy of an Epidemic do a good job of painting.  Weight-gain might not be the only side-effect you encounter.  More drugs = more chances of side-effects (including depression, anxiety and suicide). 

For now, getting stabilised by addressing the dosing issues I've discussed above is the most important step.  Secondly, you might choose not to increase the trintellix (or any other drugs).  Beyond this, we recommend tapering one drug at a time.  It's a slow process when done properly and safely, but it's much better than going too fast and destabilising your Central Nervous System - which can be quite difficult to heal again. 

Many people find Fish oil and Magnesium useful during withdrawal.   

Have a read of those and then you can come back to this thread to discuss things further.  This can be your journal to record your tapering and healing progress, and to ask questions.

Melt into your own life

Welcome to SA,

Karen

Edited by KarenB
added white space cause it keeps disappearing!

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 December - Now on 5 micro-beads Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops. Symptoms begin to increase.

2024 April - Updosed to 6 microbeads - immediate increase in symptoms for 4 days. Decreased to 5 microbeads.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

I am so glad I found this site!!! The info on here is amazing! I am not going to increase the trintellix. After a bit I will go back to 5mg and then taper off. The only thing that is off for me is being exhausted. And bouts of sweating. 

For 1 1/2 years 

reduced 1 pill per week 

most recent 

no more fluoxetine 

• Moderator Emeritus

Cherryann, please don't decrease directly to 5 mg trintellix from 10 mg after you've stabilized. Making small decreases, 10% or less, is the best known way to avoid withdrawal symptoms. Please read or view the information at these links

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?. -- KarenB posted this above, I'm duplicating that link because this idea is VERY important

How your brain responds to psychiatric drugs - aka "Brain remodeling" - the first post is the "must read"; read the following discussion if you wish

Youtube video, 4 minutes: Healing from antidepressants

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

Thank you for the info... I will reduce slower now due to reading and researching this!

For 1 1/2 years 

reduced 1 pill per week 

most recent 

no more fluoxetine 

• 2 years later...

Hi Cherryann! I wanted to ask how everything is with you thus far since I have the same issue as you. I am currently tapering of Paxil. I am currently holding at 20mg. I work out an a MMA gym. Group fit classes, HIIT, Boxing, Airdyne bike workouts. Overall best workouts there is to me, and I love it. I use to be lightweight and lean, even in the beginning when I started Antidepressants (at a low dose). But over the years (8 to be exact) and increases in dose, I am heavy, feel gross, and bloated all the time. I eat clean all the time, and one cheat meal a week. That is why as a new years resolution I decided to finally get off the Paxil, and with the aid of the folks here on the website, started tapering slowly. 

I just want to know where you are at now with the whole weight thing? Do you still do crossfit? Getting the body/weight results you want? On medication? Or off?

I love working out, the intense cardio, and all, but sometimes I feel like its a waste of time if I am not going to get or achieve my body/weight goals. Should I just wait to completely get off the medication until I go full throttle? But in the meantime just do light exercises? Currently with the pandemic going on, the 2 gyms I go to have closed till further notice, so in a way no pressure to get back in the gym since no one else can go kind of thing. 

And when you are working out, do you ever get somewhat anxious or a little panicked? I know there is a thread here indicating that during withdrawal/tapering/or being on any psychiatric medication can effect our central nervous system. Working out is something I love, but now scares me, since my gym teachers love to push me in our workouts. I feel that I get anxious during my workout, or even sluggish. I even feel a little anxiety after a good workout which is ironic, because exercising is suppose to relax you.

Anyways get back to me on this thread when you can, I am reaching out to you because I see you do crossfit, which is intense and similar to my gym. I have friends that do crossfit in my hometown. They always invite to come take a class since they know I love challenges, but I am a little apprehensive of my own central nervous system while I am currently on this slow taper. 

There are times when I would run outside after an intense workout, panicked, breathing in and out, checking my pulse, to others it just looks like I am working out hard being a savage, but in my mind I am thinking death, heart attack, etc. I use to not experience that, sucks, hope it goes away, so I can enjoy my workouts. 

Jan 2012 started 50mg Zoloft for mild depression.        2014 increased Zoloft to 100mg 

2015 poop out of Zoloft. Started  Lexapro. Bad start effects, only a month on it. Then onto Effexor a month, bad start up effects. Then Prozac, had bad start up effects (serotonin syndrome).  Added anti-psychotic Risperadal, too strong, drooling from the mouth. 

2016 on different SSRIs, do not remember, on Effexor for about 1 month, quit cold turkey 2017. Lasted 2 months.

April 2017 back on Zoloft 200mg.    May 2019 switched to Lexapro 30mg.   Oct 2019 switched to Paxil 40mg

September 2020 on Lexapro 20mg and Paxil 9mg. 

December 2020 Lexapro 20mg  Paxil 8.82 (Tapering Paxil first by 2% drops every 4-6 weeks or until I feel stable to decrease)

Jan 2021 Lexapro 20mg Paxil 8.6mg

Mar 2021 Lexapro 18mg Paxil 8.8mg

May 2021 Prozac Bridge Attempt.

June 2021 Successfully eliminated Lexapro. Currently holding @ 8mg Prozac & 8.82mg Paxil. Waiting to adjust, and stabilize, then will proceed to cut Paxil.