DaveB: trying to stop a roller coaster year

DaveB

9 minutes ago, Cheeky said:

Dave I just rode it out because it was easier to get that brand near we’re I live .

Yeah same here, I already have two bottles of the new brand and it is what the pharmacy across the street from my house uses. I think riding it out is best. 

3 hours ago, brassmonkey said:

Hey Dave-- usually if there's a problem with switching  brands it shows up pretty quickly. Three days with no problem is a good sign that there won't be any problem.  Most people can get away with it.  Because of the ones who have problems we recommend that, if possible, they cross taper between the two brands.  That seems to make the change a lot easier.  If a person is tapering at the time we also recommend that they do a hold for several weeks to let the change stabilize.  In affect we treat a brand change as a "dose change event" with the same hold time.  Then again, some people just can't tolerate the different brand and have to switch back and take time to restabilize before they can continue.

I think right now just ride it out.

What are your thoughts on testosterone therapy in withdrawal? Apparently I am WAY low, which is not surprising as I had testicular cancer 15 years ago and the surgery would for sure cause this. Just wondering if you have heard of anyone in withdrawal treating this issue and if it would help or hurt withdrawal. 

2008 - October 28th, 2016: Zoloft 50 - 150 mgs, settled on 50mgs from 2011 - 2016.
January 23rd - March 1st 2017: Zoloft 50mgs, direct switch to Lexapro.
March 1st - May 1st 2017: Lexapro 10 mgs, down to 5mgs for a week, then off.
June 1st - July 31st 2017: Paxil 20mgs, Lyrica 600mgs
August 1st - September 30th 2017: Paxil 40mgs, Zyprexa 2.5mgs
October 1st  - November 12th 2017: Paxil 60mgs, Zyprexa 2.5mgs
November 12th, 2017 - September 4th 2018: Paxil 40mgs, Zyprexa 2.5mgs 

September 4th - September 27th: Paxil 30mgs, Zyprexa 2.5mgs

September 28th - November 7th: Paxil 20mgs, Zyprexa 2.5mgs (Also Testosterone Therapy started in June 2018 and ended in November 2018)

November 7th 2018 - February 22nd 2019: Paxil 10mgs, Zyprexa 2.5mgs

February 22nd 2019 - April 17th: Zyprexa 2.5mgs, Klonopin 1mgs

April 17th - Now: Zoloft 25mgs, Zyprexa 2.5mgs, Klonopin .5mgs

On 5/29/2018 at 2:58 PM, DaveB said:

Something that usually resolves itself quickly?

Yes. The people I've seen this happen to have it resolve within a few days.

Dalalea's Introduction

Off All SSRI Medications: Effexor 2010 one month
Sertraline 50 mg. but only took 25 mg. daily because of dizziness. 2010 to July 2017

Tapered over 2 months beginning the 1st of June 2017 -- Off Sertraline by July 30, 2017

Current Medication: Losartan (blood pressure), Albuterol (for asthma- only as needed)
Current Symptoms: tinnitus, hearing loss in one ear, allergies

My Plan: Prayer, Scripture, Walk, Yoga, Encourage Others, Healthy Eating
Generic SSRI Withdrawal Symptom and Plan Checklists and Graph.xlsx

Current Supplements: Magnesium Threonate, Fish Oil, probiotic, B-12, C, D-3

Current Essential Oils: Frankincense, Bergamot, Orange, Lemon, Lavender, Peppermint, Clove
Current Essential Oil Blends: Brain Power, Clarity, Stress Away

Had an ok day yesterday and a really good night. Woke to some pretty bad anxiety this morning. Hoping it passes. Anyone have any insight on testosterone treatment, Doctor says with my low levels I could really benefit from it, but I am scared to do anything in withdrawal. 

Why do some people get better so quickly with reinstatement? Is it taking so long for me because I am not reinstating the same drug? I have had times when I felt like I was stabilizing only to come crashing down again, while some people on this site are all better and back to normal after a reinstatement and 4-6 week hold. I am at almost 5 months of holding and still struggling. Any theories as to why?

2008 - October 28th, 2016: Zoloft 50 - 150 mgs, settled on 50mgs from 2011 - 2016.

September 28th - November 7th: Paxil 20mgs, Zyprexa 2.5mgs (Also Testosterone Therapy started in June 2018 and ended in November 2018)

The low T/ssri issue appears to be an entire field of study, so I can't give you a quick answer.  But it really bears looking into.  I googled low T ssri and got a lot of interesting hits. Just remember that the internet is overloaded with information, but most of it can be traced back to a couple of sources.  Also most of it is out of context or incomplete so careful research is required before making conclusions.  How's that for passing the buck.  My first guess is that it might help but the issue is so complex I would need to do a lot of looking before I could really say anything.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

Hey DaveB, I’m sorry your anxiety was so bad this morning. I don’t have any insight into testosterone treatment but would testosterone-promoting food help at all? It might be a nice way to test the waters if it  works. 

If I were a betting man, I’d put my money on the fact your not reinstated on your original med & having tried others. I believe different meds work on different specific receptors.

I try to avoid saying “if only I would have known” because what’s done is done and it only seems to make me feel worse. I guess we can at least help each other out with the knowledge we’ve gained.

I too am around a 5-6 month hold and as you saw on my post I though it was good to go, only to have crashed. I’ve had worse crashes but it’s still very disheartening.

I’m not advocating any medical advice but I do notice Dramamine helps me calm down and takes care of some of my symptoms when things get really bad. I’ve avoided Ativan as I’m not sure if it would hinder my progress (not to mention its habit forming properties).

I feel for you Dave. I’m right there with you on the frustration/disappointment. One day at a time, it WILL get better.

Zoloft 50mg - Start Approximately April/May 2015

100mg - May 24th 2017___75mg - July 19th 2017___25mg - Sept 15th 2017___50mg - Oct 17th 2017___50mg- May 30th 2018 (no change-liquid)__2.25ml-1/1/19 (10% decrease every 4 weeks). 1..20ml from 7-1-19 to 9/26/19_starting 1.25ml on 9/26/19

2000mg Fish-oil Total (took 1000mg once a day for years_now 1000mg morning + night as of 7-11-18)

250mg Magnesium Oxide for many months (stopped and switched to Magnesium Citrate approx. 7-11-18)

200mg Magnesium Citrate Total (began 100mg morning + night approx. 7-11-18)

Daily Probiotic (many months_years?)

1600IU Daily Total (800IU Vit D morning and afternoon) (Dr. Recommendation_low Vit D in blood test_start approx. Sept.2017)

Zeretek 10mg (August 2018)

2 Weeks of half pill/half liquid Zoloft. Started liquid only 10-29-18 (still @ 50mg equivalent. 2.5ml as of 3/14/20)

Zeretek 5mg (May 2021)

1 hour ago, brassmonkey said:

The low T/ssri issue appears to be an entire field of study, so I can't give you a quick answer.  But it really bears looking into.  I googled low T ssri and got a lot of interesting hits. Just remember that the internet is overloaded with information, but most of it can be traced back to a couple of sources.  Also most of it is out of context or incomplete so careful research is required before making conclusions.  How's that for passing the buck.  My first guess is that it might help but the issue is so complex I would need to do a lot of looking before I could really say anything.

Thanks Brassmonkey. If you haven't heard of bad reactions to this, I may give it a try. Thank you for your time and input.

1 hour ago, David182 said:

Hey DaveB, I’m sorry your anxiety was so bad this morning. I don’t have any insight into testosterone treatment but would testosterone-promoting food help at all? It might be a nice way to test the waters if it  works. 

If I were a betting man, I’d put my money on the fact your not reinstated on your original med & having tried others. I believe different meds work on different specific receptors.

I try to avoid saying “if only I would have known” because what’s done is done and it only seems to make me feel worse. I guess we can at least help each other out with the knowledge we’ve gained.

I too am around a 5-6 month hold and as you saw on my post I though it was good to go, only to have crashed. I’ve had worse crashes but it’s still very disheartening.

I’m not advocating any medical advice but I do notice Dramamine helps me calm down and takes care of some of my symptoms when things get really bad. I’ve avoided Ativan as I’m not sure if it would hinder my progress (not to mention its habit forming properties).

I feel for you Dave. I’m right there with you on the frustration/disappointment. One day at a time, it WILL get better.

I agree, I think it is taking longer because my brain is trying to figure out a new med, but I have been on this "new" med almost a year now so switching would probably just bring about a whole new set of problems...so I wait and let time heal. I too have had some time I felt "good to go" but I have been in a wave now for a little over a week (though I have had some good times) and it is frustrating for sure. We will get there, as @brassmonkey says "healing is always happening!" One positive thing is, no matter how tough the day, I can pretty much count on a few hours in the evening being close to normal. That hasn't always been the case and is sometimes all that gets me through the day. I am working on accepting this is the way it is, I have made mistakes, but can't change them, and this process is going to take a long time. However, it is frustrating when you see some people pop back to normal after a couple week hold. 

30 minutes ago, DaveB said:

I agree, I think it is taking longer because my brain is trying to figure out a new med, but I have been on this "new" med almost a year now so switching would probably just bring about a whole new set of problems...so I wait and let time heal. I too have had some time I felt "good to go" but I have been in a wave now for a little over a week (though I have had some good times) and it is frustrating for sure. We will get there, as @brassmonkey says "healing is always happening!" One positive thing is, no matter how tough the day, I can pretty much count on a few hours in the evening being close to normal. That hasn't always been the case and is sometimes all that gets me through the day. I am working on accepting this is the way it is, I have made mistakes, but can't change them, and this process is going to take a long time. However, it is frustrating when you see some people pop back to normal after a couple week hold. 

When you mentioned each evening gives you something to look forward to as it brings relief and how that hasn’t always been the case, that struck a chord with me. Thank you. Indeed, at least having that to look forward to is hopeful. 

Looking at the big picture is often overwhelming to me (thinking how long this may take to fully stabilize, how long to taper off) minimizing down to the daily hope seems like a good route to me.

Mathew 6:34

It is definitely frustrating when some seem to have it so easy. I was on Effexor many years ago and getting off of it was nothing compared to Zoloft changes. Interestingly enough, Zoloft works better for me (when stable) than Effexor ever did.

This last year or so has been the most trying of my life for sure. 

I have hope we will all walk away from these trials someday stronger, better off and leave them behind for good.

P.S. 

The story of recovery for Aeroman on this website has given me an extra boost when I feel down and like this will never end.

100mg - May 24th 2017___75mg - July 19th 2017___25mg - Sept 15th 2017___50mg - Oct 17th 2017___50mg- May 30th 2018 (no change-liquid)__2.25ml-1/1/19 (10% decrease every 4 weeks). 1..20ml from 7-1-19 to 9/26/19_starting 1.25ml on 9/26/19

2000mg Fish-oil Total (took 1000mg once a day for years_now 1000mg morning + night as of 7-11-18)

250mg Magnesium Oxide for many months (stopped and switched to Magnesium Citrate approx. 7-11-18)

1600IU Daily Total (800IU Vit D morning and afternoon) (Dr. Recommendation_low Vit D in blood test_start approx. Sept.2017)

2 Weeks of half pill/half liquid Zoloft. Started liquid only 10-29-18 (still @ 50mg equivalent. 2.5ml as of 3/14/20)

Zeretek 5mg (May 2021)

1 hour ago, David182 said:

When you mentioned each evening gives you something to look forward to as it brings relief and how that hasn’t always been the case, that struck a chord with me. Thank you. Indeed, at least having that to look forward to is hopeful. 

Looking at the big picture is often overwhelming to me (thinking how long this may take to fully stabilize, how long to taper off) minimizing down to the daily hope seems like a good route to me.

Mathew 6:34

It is definitely frustrating when some seem to have it so easy. I was on Effexor many years ago and getting off of it was nothing compared to Zoloft changes. Interestingly enough, Zoloft works better for me (when stable) than Effexor ever did.

This last year or so has been the most trying of my life for sure. 

I have hope we will all walk away from these trials someday stronger, better off and leave them behind for good.

P.S. 

The story of recovery for Aeroman on this website has given me an extra boost when I feel down and like this will never end.

Thanks, I will check out Aeroman. Loved your verse in Matthew, perfect for us! Here has been one of my favorites:

"And if thou shouldst be cast into the pit, or into the hands of murderers, and the sentence of death passed upon thee; if thou be cast into the deep; if the billowing surge conspire against thee; if fierce winds become thine enemy; if the heavens gather blackness, and all the elements combine to hedge up the way; and above all, if the very jaws of hell shall gape open the mouth wide after thee, know thou, my son, that all these things shall give thee experience, and shall be for thy good."

Kind of an obscure book of scripture in my faith called the Doctrine & Covenants 122:7, but one of my favorites...especially in this fight. 

We got this my friend!

I’ve never heard that verse before but wow, is it ever appropriate!

Yes, thank you, absolutely we do!!

One day at a time, never give up : )

Zeretek 5mg (May 2021)

DaveB:

Wow! Quite the ordeal. I've been dealing with psych drugs for a very long time. I know exactly what you're going through. 13 weeks ago was my last dose of Zyprexa. I had to rapid taper from 30mg over 3 months due to serious health issues cause by Zyprexa side effects. It was very unpleasant to say the least and I'm still having good and bad days especially this week.

I see a couple of things. During a drug withdrawal or even stabilizing,  we want to know when this is going to end. What's difficult is that everybody is different. Don't keep any hard number in your head or you will get discouraged and feel like giving up when a set time has come and gone. For me, it was better just looking forward  at the big picture and not dwelling on the moment. Otherwise, I felt trapped in a time bubble that didn't seem to move. I felt the worst in the mornings and often felt better after I did a hard exercise at lunch. However, day after day it was mostly the same thing. Sometimes I thought I was getting better, then later I'd feel like real crap.

My health issues. Severe Bipolar 1, Severe Anxiety Disorder, Severe Depression. I still have all of these disorders (along with symptoms) even though I'm lucky enough to get off quite a few drugs. The drugs don't cure anything. They bandaid a few symptoms and made me feel pretty weird. If you have an anxiety disorder, the symptoms will rebound once you stop taking whatever drug it was to treat the symptom.

Even if I manage or you manage to get off all of our drugs, we won't be 100% cured. For me, I have a very serious mental illness and have done horrible things. However, I'm trying to move away from drugs and actually control my illness through things that actually work and aren't addictive or have side effects. I've found exercise helps me more than any drug I've taken.

My anxiety during Zyprexa withdrawal was just as bad as when I had to CT off Klonipin and Xanax. One thing that reduced the anxiety was to quit drinking coffee. I quit all sodas a long time ago. 

Lastly, I'm a bit different than most people. Some members are saying stabilize. Which drug are you trying to stabilize from? Paxil, Zoloft, Lexapro, even Lyrica. My mom recently got off Lyrica and had a very difficult time with similar symptoms you're reporting. You may be taking Paxil for nothing if it's the side effects from being off another drug. If you feel bad taking Paxil and you feel bad trying to get off Paxil, why take it? You weren't on Paxil very long and sometime drugs don't work. I've been on many that did zero and even made me manic or worse. I do agree with SA that tapering is the absolute best. I haven't always had that luxury. If it were me I'd start a very slow taper off the Paxil and keep careful note of how you feel. You may actually feel a little better if Paxil's the real cause of you issues. It's happened to me. I wouldn't even think about stopping the Zyprexa until you've been 100% off Paxil for awhile. You may still feel bad because you have underlying issues that will return (you we're put on AD's and a Benzo for some reason).

Good Luck. I'm just one lone opioion amongst many.

December 2017: Zyprexa (30mg)  Gabapentin (1800mg)  Wellbutrin (450mg) Lamicital (450mg)

Feb 2018: Gabapentin (1800mg)  Wellbutrin (450mg) Lamicital (450mg)

March 2018: Gabapentin (1800mg)  Wellbutrin (450mg) Valium (10mg) Ambien (10mg) Lamicital (450mg)

April 2018: Gabapentin (1800mg)  Wellbutrin (450mg) Lamicital (450mg) (Dropped Ambien, Valium no help)

May 2018:  Gabapentin (1800mg)  Wellbutrin (37.5mg)  Lamicital (450mg) Trazodone (150mg) CBD (20mg)

Present: Gabapentin (600mg)  Prazosin (10mg)  Lamicital  Trazodone (125mg)

1969 - Present: 80 Electro Convulsive Treatments, Medication changes (Too many drugs to list prior to Dec 2017) Klonipin/Xanax CT 2003

Wellbutrin Taper: Started approx  Apr 2018 450mg, 300mg, 225mg, 150mg, 112.5mg, 75mg, 37.5mg Held each dose approx 1 week per Doctor, June 5 2018 OFF WELLBUTRIN

Zyprexa Taper: Nov 2017 30mg, Dec 1 2017 20mg, Dec 11 2017 15mg, Dec 22 2017 10mg, Jan 3 2018 7.5mg, Jan 14 2018 5mg, Jan 25 2018 3.75mg, Feb 6 2018 2.5mg, Feb 16 2018, 1.25mg, Feb 25 2018 0.625mg, March 4 2018 OFF Zyprexa!!!!

Trazodone Taper: April 2018-150mg, May 25 2018-100mg, June 1 2018-50mg,  Bump June 2 2018-125mg HOLD

17 hours ago, Spideygsm said:

DaveB:

Wow! Quite the ordeal. I've been dealing with psych drugs for a very long time. I know exactly what you're going through. 13 weeks ago was my last dose of Zyprexa. I had to rapid taper from 30mg over 3 months due to serious health issues cause by Zyprexa side effects. It was very unpleasant to say the least and I'm still having good and bad days especially this week.

I see a couple of things. During a drug withdrawal or even stabilizing,  we want to know when this is going to end. What's difficult is that everybody is different. Don't keep any hard number in your head or you will get discouraged and feel like giving up when a set time has come and gone. For me, it was better just looking forward  at the big picture and not dwelling on the moment. Otherwise, I felt trapped in a time bubble that didn't seem to move. I felt the worst in the mornings and often felt better after I did a hard exercise at lunch. However, day after day it was mostly the same thing. Sometimes I thought I was getting better, then later I'd feel like real crap.

My health issues. Severe Bipolar 1, Severe Anxiety Disorder, Severe Depression. I still have all of these disorders (along with symptoms) even though I'm lucky enough to get off quite a few drugs. The drugs don't cure anything. They bandaid a few symptoms and made me feel pretty weird. If you have an anxiety disorder, the symptoms will rebound once you stop taking whatever drug it was to treat the symptom.

Even if I manage or you manage to get off all of our drugs, we won't be 100% cured. For me, I have a very serious mental illness and have done horrible things. However, I'm trying to move away from drugs and actually control my illness through things that actually work and aren't addictive or have side effects. I've found exercise helps me more than any drug I've taken.

My anxiety during Zyprexa withdrawal was just as bad as when I had to CT off Klonipin and Xanax. One thing that reduced the anxiety was to quit drinking coffee. I quit all sodas a long time ago. 

Lastly, I'm a bit different than most people. Some members are saying stabilize. Which drug are you trying to stabilize from? Paxil, Zoloft, Lexapro, even Lyrica. My mom recently got off Lyrica and had a very difficult time with similar symptoms you're reporting. You may be taking Paxil for nothing if it's the side effects from being off another drug. If you feel bad taking Paxil and you feel bad trying to get off Paxil, why take it? You weren't on Paxil very long and sometime drugs don't work. I've been on many that did zero and even made me manic or worse. I do agree with SA that tapering is the absolute best. I haven't always had that luxury. If it were me I'd start a very slow taper off the Paxil and keep careful note of how you feel. You may actually feel a little better if Paxil's the real cause of you issues. It's happened to me. I wouldn't even think about stopping the Zyprexa until you've been 100% off Paxil for awhile. You may still feel bad because you have underlying issues that will return (you we're put on AD's and a Benzo for some reason).

Good Luck. I'm just one lone opioion amongst many.

Thanks for commenting and sharing your thoughts, really good stuff. 

Yesterday was ok, up and down but manageable and I felt totally normal at night. HOWEVER...this morning I woke up in a nightmare. Not sure what is going on but anxiety is through the roof. Why am I still experiencing such swings and am so unstable now almost 5 months into a hold. I am not sure what to do anymore, feels like no matter what I do or try (including holding) I never get better or consistent relief. So discouraged!

DaveB:

Every person reacts to a drug or drugs differently. Benzo's were supposed to help me and my body basically rejected them and made me sick. You're currently taking Paxil and Zyprexa. Your body could be just rejecting one or both. Especially since you've been on both for many months. From experience SSRI's are supposed to help stop anxiety yet they made me go bonkers. I can't take them.

You've heard all this. Not all Dr's are pill prescribing idiots. You may want to talk to a different Dr and see what they say. My Dr's working with me to get me off meds and control my illness without drugs. I'm in Utah like you. Message me and I'll give you her contact information.

Hang in there

December 2017: Zyprexa (30mg)  Gabapentin (1800mg)  Wellbutrin (450mg) Lamicital (450mg)

Feb 2018: Gabapentin (1800mg)  Wellbutrin (450mg) Lamicital (450mg)

March 2018: Gabapentin (1800mg)  Wellbutrin (450mg) Valium (10mg) Ambien (10mg) Lamicital (450mg)

April 2018: Gabapentin (1800mg)  Wellbutrin (450mg) Lamicital (450mg) (Dropped Ambien, Valium no help)

May 2018:  Gabapentin (1800mg)  Wellbutrin (37.5mg)  Lamicital (450mg) Trazodone (150mg) CBD (20mg)

Present: Gabapentin (600mg)  Prazosin (10mg)  Lamicital  Trazodone (125mg)

1969 - Present: 80 Electro Convulsive Treatments, Medication changes (Too many drugs to list prior to Dec 2017) Klonipin/Xanax CT 2003

Wellbutrin Taper: Started approx  Apr 2018 450mg, 300mg, 225mg, 150mg, 112.5mg, 75mg, 37.5mg Held each dose approx 1 week per Doctor, June 5 2018 OFF WELLBUTRIN

Zyprexa Taper: Nov 2017 30mg, Dec 1 2017 20mg, Dec 11 2017 15mg, Dec 22 2017 10mg, Jan 3 2018 7.5mg, Jan 14 2018 5mg, Jan 25 2018 3.75mg, Feb 6 2018 2.5mg, Feb 16 2018, 1.25mg, Feb 25 2018 0.625mg, March 4 2018 OFF Zyprexa!!!!

Trazodone Taper: April 2018-150mg, May 25 2018-100mg, June 1 2018-50mg,  Bump June 2 2018-125mg HOLD

8 minutes ago, Spideygsm said:

DaveB:

Every person reacts to a drug or drugs differently. Benzo's were supposed to help me and my body basically rejected them and made me sick. You're currently taking Paxil and Zyprexa. Your body could be just rejecting one or both. Especially since you've been on both for many months. From experience SSRI's are supposed to help stop anxiety yet they made me go bonkers. I can't take them.

You've heard all this. Not all Dr's are pill prescribing idiots. You may want to talk to a different Dr and see what they say. My Dr's working with me to get me off meds and control my illness without drugs. I'm in Utah like you. Message me and I'll give you her contact information.

Hang in there

I was on Zoloft thought for 8 years and it was very helpful for my anxiety. Wasn't until I tried to get off in 2016 that all hell broke loose. I have to think much of what I am experiencing is still Zoloft withdrawal, but I agree the Paxil doesn't seem to be covering for it very well. 

Hey, Dave.  Sorry you woke with anxiety.  I'm tired, too.  Someday this will stop happening.  Until then, it's very frustrating.

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/16629-rosetta-ct-may-2011-too-fast-taper-feb-2017/?page=25

2001-2011 Celexa 10 mg raised to 40 mg then 60 mg over this time period

May 2011 OB Doctor's Cold switch Celexa 60 mg to 10 mg Zoloft sertraline (baby born)

2012-2016 - Doctors raised dose of Zoloft up to 150 mg

2016 - Xanax prescribed - as needed - 0.5 mg about every 3 days (bad reaction)

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Late 2016- Began (too fast) taper of Zoloft

Early 2017 - Trazodone prescribed for bedtime (doseage unknown)

Feb 2017 - Completed taper/stopped Trazodone

Drug free since Feb 2017

2017 - Unisom otc very rarely for sleep

• Moderator Emeritus
On 6/3/2018 at 1:39 AM, DaveB said:

Yesterday was ok, up and down but manageable and I felt totally normal at night. HOWEVER...this morning I woke up in a nightmare. Not sure what is going on but anxiety is through the roof. Why am I still experiencing such swings and am so unstable now almost 5 months into a hold. I am not sure what to do anymore, feels like no matter what I do or try (including holding) I never get better or consistent relief. So discouraged!

Hi Dave, 

Sorry you woke up in a nightmare. I’ve had many mornings like that when in a wave. They feel really scary.

I find the best thing to do is turn the light on, sit up n distract yourself with something straight away. Put on a DVD or Netflix or music. You probably won’t be able to concentrate on anything but it’s better than lying there in fear. 

We never know when windows will come after being in a wave, they do eventually come though. It’s probably no consolation when you wake up in fear but you will eventually get there. Hang in there Dave! 

Keep distracting yourself. Find things you like that are good distractions.

What a fight this is, hey? We can just take each moment as it comes. 

Sending hugs🤗

Seroquel. 2019:➡️ From 7.25mg to 5.80mg✔️ 2020➡️From 5.60 to 4.80✔️ 2021➡️From 4.60 to 4.0✔️ 2022➡️From 3.95 to 3.55✔️2023➡️ Jan 26=3.50✔️March 17=3.45✔️ June12=3.40✔️ July30=3.35✔️ Sep14=3.30✔️ Oct31=3.25✔️
2024➡️Jan15=3.20✔️ Feb19=3.15✔️ March26=3.10✔️This is NOT medical advice.Consult your doctor.

Hey Dave. 

I just wanted to stop by and say I've still been thinking about you. 

I've been in a pretty bad wave for a while, so I haven't stopped by in a bit. 

I totally get how why this is so discouraging.  

Why so easy for some?  Why so long for me, and not for someone else? 

We may never get that answer.  

It's hard.  It's crazy, stupid hard.  

But you're doing it.  

I'm doing it.  

Look back at what we've already come through.  

We're doing it. 

One day.  One minute. One hour.  At a time.  

But we're doing it. 

You said yourself, you get a break every evening, that you never used to get. 

That's wonderful!!

Take heart!  

Slowly, after we trudge through this tunnel, 

we will first get glimpses of daylight.  Then full blown windows into the sunshine!

Someday, we'll walk out of the tunnel onto the mountainside. 

The walking might still be rough, but we'll be in the fresh air. 

We'll feel the sun on our skin, the wind in our hair.  

And one day, we'll be down from the mountain, 

walking in the valley, through the meadows, and the streams.  

Life will never be without it's thorns.  Even when we reach the river valley. 

But we'll be able to handle them. 

This isn't my first rodeo, I've decided.  

My first crash was back in 2014.  

My second, last fall.  

This feels like the third.  Either it's a really bad wave, 

or it's my attempted stopping of Clonazepam (Klonopin) 

that is finally making itself known.  

But I can tell you, the difference in how well I can cope with it, 

now, as compared to even last fall, is night and day.  

Oh, that doesn't mean that the waves of anxiety, fear, and panic

aren't absolutely horrible.  

But I can't explain it other than to say that somehow, it's different. 

Sorry... sometimes I feel like I talk to much.  Once I get going... 

But you had a nice verse back there, so you reminded me of a couple of MY favourites. 

I went to look for some of them, and decided that I need to reread the whole book of Romans. 

It's full of so many comforting texts.  Romans 5:3.  Romans 8:28. But also 18.  And 37.  

Really all of chapter 8 is good reading.  But sometimes a lot to take in all at once.  

Especially if you are having trouble reading or processing, like I am right now. 

Phillipians is also quite comforting.  My brother who also deals with anxiety, 

(and who interestingly enough, is also goes by Dave or David) says it's his favourite book of the Bible.  

James 1:2-4 is good too.  

Oops, almost forgot to go and look at that text in Matthew from @David182

I remember it now.  I used to read Matthew 6 over and over again as a child and teenager.  

It's making me curious now, how many people here are from which different faiths.

But anyway... I need to get going and go finish my breakfast...

I hope you're having a better day today, Dave!  

Anxiety since I was 5, and my Grandma died.  Depression since at least my early 20s. 

Wellbutrin for unknown length of time in 2009  Guess: 6-9 months.  Cold Turkeyed in Dec 2009. 

Citalopram 40mg end of 2014 until June 2017. Began within a few months after 4th child was born because I crashed. 

Quit CT.  Had no major symptoms until Sept. Took Gaba from spring until near end of Nov 2017

Took St. John's Wort mixed with who knows what else from mid-summer to end of Sept.. 

Clonazepam 0.25 mg once a day since Sept. 18.  To stay sane. 

Rough time since Sept. 18.  Tried to reinstate.  Repeatedly.  Failed.  Bad reaction.  Horrible cortisol spikes

I seem to react badly to anything I take right now.  Except Clonazepam.    

End of December, forgot to take Clonazepam for a few days. Thought I could do without. 

Appears I was wrong,  Jan. 1-2?   Trying to find the right way to deal with things.

Holding at 1/4 of 0.25mg pill morning and night.  Reinstated Jan. 5

Apr. 30, Got a scale.  Measuring roughly .25 mg of a .80mg pill that contains .25mg Clonazepam.  

On 6/2/2018 at 10:39 AM, DaveB said:

@DaveB

I’m so sorry Dave. To say this is frustrating is such an understatement. After my latest crash I completely stopped exercising to try and calm my nervous system down.

last night I walked SLOWLY for a half hour on the treadmill and it did help relieve the morning anxiety a bit. It must have lowered my cortisol levels somewhat.

Have you sill been exercising?

Remember, while it often doesn’t feel like it, healing IS happening. Slower then we like for sure but the body is trying to get back to homeostasis.

Taking things in as small of time frames as needed and distraction seem like a couple of good strategies and of course reaching out to us here. I’m praying for you, man. Stay strong! Deliverance will come!

Zeretek 5mg (May 2021)

• manymoretodays changed the title to DaveB: Trying to stop a roller coaster year

How are you, Dave?  I hope you are quiet because you are getting some relief.  Happy Fathers Day!

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/16629-rosetta-ct-may-2011-too-fast-taper-feb-2017/?page=25

May 2011 OB Doctor's Cold switch Celexa 60 mg to 10 mg Zoloft sertraline (baby born)

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Drug free since Feb 2017

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey Dave - 

On 4/20/2018 at 4:23 AM, DaveB said:

I don't know what triggered this latest setback, but it has been a really bad one. 

I know that was months ago now - but I reckon there are more windows and waves to come.

What I observed about this one was - you had some days where you felt - normal, even great - and went and *did* and enjoyed yourself.

It's a common enough pattern - "Finally, I feel well enough to take the girls to the tennis!" or "At last!  Some relief!  I will now (mow the lawn, clean the house, visit Mother, whatever seems to be pressing at the time) - and you still feel great at the end of the day, and think "wow what a wonderful day!"

But the next day, you know you overdid it, because you wake up feeling hungover, your joints don't want to move, your cortisol is spiking and symptoms ramp up again.

I find that - if that ramped up feeling goes away in 24 hours, then I am building stamina.  But if it lasts longer, then I overdid it, and need to scale back activity - even when I feel well enough to do it.

It's a pattern I did in depression and fatigue, too - when I finally felt well enough to address the piles of paper, dirt, laundry, phone calls, whatever that had been piling up when I was too depressed and fatigued to do anything - it's easy to do this, and then this and then that - and it does feel good to get things accomplished (or even go out to a show and have a good time) until you get the post activity crash.

This April wave was right after a lot of activity, where you felt great and *did stuff*.

I'm still several pages behind, but I've seen this come up for you over the pages I've read, and hadn't seen anyone comment on it yet.

I hope you see the sun today!

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

On June 2, 2018 at 9:08 AM, DaveB said:

I was on Zoloft thought for 8 years and it was very helpful for my anxiety. Wasn't until I tried to get off in 2016 that all hell broke loose. I have to think much of what I am experiencing is still Zoloft withdrawal, but I agree the Paxil doesn't seem to be covering for it very well. 

Dave, 

Its been a long time since you posted.  Did you decide to do monthly updates?  Well, we miss you.  I hope you are ok.

Rosetta

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Drug free since Feb 2017

Hey Dave.  Also noticed you haven't been around. 

I hope you're doing okay.  

Anxiety since I was 5, and my Grandma died.  Depression since at least my early 20s. 

Wellbutrin for unknown length of time in 2009  Guess: 6-9 months.  Cold Turkeyed in Dec 2009. 

Citalopram 40mg end of 2014 until June 2017. Began within a few months after 4th child was born because I crashed. 

Quit CT.  Had no major symptoms until Sept. Took Gaba from spring until near end of Nov 2017

Took St. John's Wort mixed with who knows what else from mid-summer to end of Sept.. 

Rough time since Sept. 18.  Tried to reinstate.  Repeatedly.  Failed.  Bad reaction.  Horrible cortisol spikes

End of December, forgot to take Clonazepam for a few days. Thought I could do without. 

Appears I was wrong,  Jan. 1-2?   Trying to find the right way to deal with things.

Apr. 30, Got a scale.  Measuring roughly .25 mg of a .80mg pill that contains .25mg Clonazepam.  

Bump

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Drug free since Feb 2017

@Rosetta @Waterfall @JanCarol @David182 @Carmie @brassmonkey

Sorry guys, I know it has been a bit. I have been really busy with a pretty major career change. Anxiety is still very much up and down, now almost 6 months into keeping everything stable. Really pretty discouraging there, but at the same time I have been able to grind through it an not come here a while, so maybe I am doing better than I am giving myself credit for. I will be more active now again and I have missed all of you. I appreciate your thoughts and comments more than you know!

Hey Dave!  

Glad to hear from you!

I know the frustration and discouragement of waiting for a change, and not seeing it.

I am glad, though, that you've been soldiering through. 

You're tougher than you think!

A major career change is a pretty big thing!

I hope that it's been going well for you.  

Wishing you all the best!

@DaveB

Man, it’s good to hear from you!

I was a bit worried about ya but if taking a break is part of your healing experience, good deal. Sometimes we just need to not focus on certain things.

I have to give you much credit for the major career move. Not only is that a lot in self but to do so with a sensitive CNS, much props to you!

Still praying for you and will do so concerning the career. 👍🏻

Zeretek 5mg (May 2021)

Happy to hear you are ok!!  Good luck with the career. -R

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Drug free since Feb 2017

@brassmonkey @Altostrata @Gridley I have been really up and down the last month, but even more so in the last week. I am almost 6 months into a hold. Is this ever going to level out? Do I need to try something else? Does everyone eventually get better and stabilize even this far down the line into a hold?

Hi, Dave.  Thinking of you.  You are really struggling, I know.  I'm so sorry.  Hang in there.  -Rosetta

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Drug free since Feb 2017

• Administrator

What is your daily symptom pattern? Please keep daily notes on paper about your symptoms, when you take your drugs, and their dosages.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

@Altostrata

July 3rd

Woke at 8AM - Anxiety a 6

9AM - Took Garden of Life Multivitamin , Fish Oil, Magnesium, and vitamin D.

10 AM - 1PM - Anxiety drops to a 3-4

1PM - 7PM - Anxiety increases to a 5, along with a “light-headed” spaces out feeling.

7PM - 11PM - anxiety gets a little better, 3-4 range. 

11PM - 40mgs Paxil and 2.5 mgs Zyprexa, then bed.

Pretty standard day and pattern for me. I have tried to change timing of vitamins and it does seem to effect this pattern.

• Administrator
10 hours ago, DaveB said:

I have tried to change timing of vitamins and it does seem to effect this pattern.

You probably mean it does not affect this pattern?

How much magnesium are you taking, what type?

Why do you take Paxil at night? Does it make you sleepy? Did you ever take it earlier in the day? If yes, why did you change the time of dosing?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

12 hours ago, Altostrata said:

You probably mean it does not affect this pattern?

How much magnesium are you taking, what type?

Why do you take Paxil at night? Does it make you sleepy? Did you ever take it earlier in the day? If yes, why did you change the time of dosing?

Yes, does NOT affect the pattern. I take magnesium citrate 250mgs. I have thought about upping the dose, but I get loose stools at times.

I used to take Paxil in the morning but moved it to night cause I felt it does make me a little sleepy.

• Administrator

You might take magnesium in smaller doses throughout the day. Magnesium glycinate is less likely to cause loose stools.

Perhaps the added stress of a career change has affected your symptom pattern recently? What is your sleep pattern?

3 hours ago, Altostrata said:

You might take magnesium in smaller doses throughout the day. Magnesium glycinate is less likely to cause loose stools.

Perhaps the added stress of a career change has affected your symptom pattern recently? What is your sleep pattern?

3 hours ago, Altostrata said:

Yes it could for sure be the stress of a new job. Should be a great opportunity and challenge, but very difficult and I will have to try to be on my A game. 

I will look into the glycinate as a better way to get the magnesium. Sleep is the one thing that is pretty good. I usually sleep from about 11 or 12 - 7 or 8. I am sure the Zyprexa is part of why I don’t have many sleep disturbances.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Dave, 

How have you been doing with the magnesium? 

Sending hugs🤗

Seroquel. 2019:➡️ From 7.25mg to 5.80mg✔️ 2020➡️From 5.60 to 4.80✔️ 2021➡️From 4.60 to 4.0✔️ 2022➡️From 3.95 to 3.55✔️2023➡️ Jan 26=3.50✔️March 17=3.45✔️ June12=3.40✔️ July30=3.35✔️ Sep14=3.30✔️ Oct31=3.25✔️
2024➡️Jan15=3.20✔️ Feb19=3.15✔️ March26=3.10✔️This is NOT medical advice.Consult your doctor.