SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Hello, all!

I've been reading the website for the better part of an hour, now, and it seems to be an invaluable resource, a scientifically-sound one, for this complicated and severely-unstudied process of stopping medication.

I've been diagnosed bipolar type 2 some 8 years ago, having been under some type of treatment every day since. My diagnosis came after visiting 4 different psychiatrists (as I would not accept the diagnosis, every time a doctor would say it to me).

What I am currently prescribed:

- morning - 15mg Aripiprazole

- morning & evening - 2.5mg Oxybutynin

- morning & evening - 40mg Propranolol

- evening - 400mg Quetiapine

- evening - 1000mg Sodium Valproate

I also have access to Clonazepam, 2mg pills, for an as-needed dosing, but I haven't taken that in a very long time, now.

Since this Monday, after an absolutely horrific psychiatrist visit, I've halved all my medication... Each dose, I take at the same time, but would break up the pill in half. I've been feeling great (to be honest, I've actually been feeling, which is an accomplishment), but I want to continue this down to 0mg of each substance.

I've read the topics on polysubstance stopping, but it is not clear to me what best course I should follow, given the above cocktail. Can I cold-turkey the Oxybutynin and Propranolol, and after focus on tapering off the mood stabiliser, with an end goal of doing the same with the antipsychotics? 

My initial train of thought was to halve each week, and I was prepared in a few weeks' time to take a vacation from work, just so I could lay in bed with withdrawal symptoms. This is based on me stopping the Quetiapine in the past (OK, some 4-5 years ago), under doctor supervision, because I had been selected for a medical trial... That process took around 2 weeks, and even if I was prescribed Ambien to sleep, it would only "knock me out" for 2-3hr, after which I'd play video games, as I couldn't sleep at all. It was a painful process, during which I spent about a week in bed, but if the process can be the same this time, I'm ready to withstand all that pain, just so I could be myself, again.

Thank you all for any contributions, in advance!

Current cocktail (06/2017):

- 400mg once daily (evening) Quetiapine

- 1000mg once daily (evening) Sodium Valproate

- 2.5mg twice daily (morning & evening) Qxybutynin

- 40mg twice daily (morning & evening) Propranolol

- 15mg once daily (morning) Aripiprazole

As needed basis: Clonazepam.

No history with trying to taper my medication.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello VyRuZ and welcome to surviving antidepressants.

I'm really glad you found us and hope to benefit from the information here. I hope you got/will get a chance to read more to understand why cold turkeying anything is a very bad idea that can make you very sick for a very long time and lead to more diagnoses.

I'm on my hols and typing from my phone so it's a bit difficult to post all the relevant links but I believe other mods will do so.

I can't see if you filled in your signature but in case you haven"t here is how and why.

In order to provide members with the most relevant information, we ask that you create a posting signature that summarizes your medication and withdrawal history.  A request: Would you summarize your history in a signature -- drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements, in the last 12-24 months particularly?

• Any drugs prior to 24 months ago can just be listed with start and stop years. 
  • Please use actual dates or approximate dates (mid-June, Late October) rather than relative time frames (last week, 3 months ago) 
  • Spell out months, e.g. "October" or "Oct."; 9/1/2016 can be interpreted as Jan. 9, 2016 or Sept. 1, 2016. 
  • Please leave out symptoms and diagnoses. 
  • A list is easier to understand than one or multiple paragraphs. 
  • Link to Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature.

In general we advise tapering no more than one drug and not more than 10% of your current dose every 30 days.

I'm concerned about how your brain will deal with halving of everything. Since it's been only a few days I would actually go back to the full dose, stabilise for a few weeks or more and procede with an informed taper.

More links to follow. Ask all the questions you might have here. Especially before taking any action.

You can start by reading through these threads:

Tapering -- what you need to know.

Why taper by 10% of

For  more about withdrawal symptoms, please read

What is withdrawal syndrome.

Once again welcome.

Bubble

Edited by bubble

Current: 9/2022 Xanax 0.08, Lexapro 2

2020 Xanax 0.26 (down from 2 mg in 2013), Lexapro 2.85 mg (down from 5 mg 2013)

Amitriptyline (tricyclic AD) and clonazepam for 3 months to treat headache in 1996 
1999. - present Xanax prn up to 3 mg.
2000-2005 Prozac CT twice, 2005-2010 Zoloft CT 3 times, 2010-2013 Escitalopram 10 mg
went from 2.5 to zero on 7 Aug 2013, bad crash 40 days after
reinstated to 5 mg Escitalopram 4Oct 2013 and holding liquid Xanax every 5 hours
28 Jan 2014 Xanax 1.9, 18 Apr  2015 1 mg,  25 June 2015 Lex 4.8, 6 Aug Lexapro 4.6, 1 Jan 2016 0.64  Xanax     9 month hold

24 Sept 2016 4.5 Lex, 17 Oct 4.4 Lex (Nov 0.63 Xanax, Dec 0.625 Xanax), 1 Jan 2017 4.3 Lex, 24 Jan 4.2, 5 Feb 4.1, 24 Mar 4 mg, 10 Apr 3.9 mg, May 3.85, June 3.8, July 3.75, 22 July 3.7, 15 Aug 3.65, 17 Sept 3.6, 1 Jan 2018 3.55, 19 Jan 3.5, 16 Mar 3.4, 14 Apr 3.3, 23 May 3.2, 16 June 3.15, 15 Jul 3.1, 31 Jul 3, 21 Aug 2.9 26 Sept 2.85, 14 Nov Xan 0.61, 1 Dec 0.59, 19 Dec 0.58, 4 Jan 0.565, 6 Feb 0.55, 20 Feb 0.535, 1 Mar 0.505, 10 Mar 0.475, 14 Mar 0.45, 4 Apr 0.415, 13 Apr 0.37, 21 Apr 0.33, 29 Apr 0.29, 10 May 0.27, 17 May 0.25, 28 May 0.22, 19 June 0.22, 21 Jun updose to 0.24, 24 Jun updose to 0.26

Supplements: Omega 3 + Vit E, Vit C, D, magnesium, Taurine, probiotic 

I'm not a medical professional. Any advice I give is based on my own experience and reading. 

Halving the doses is dangerous. Cold turkey is extremely dangerous. Doing either could result in you being hospitalized. The drugs need to be tapered slowly  as outlined on this forum

200 Zoloft; 10 mg Zyprexa; 4 mg valium as of May 2021;  Valium taper: July 16: 3.5 valium; July 30: 3 mg (paused valium taper); Aug. 23: 2.5 mg
Zyprexa: July 26: 8.75 mg; Aug. 9: 7.5 mg; Aug. 30: 7.1 mg

-------
Dec 1, 2016. 10 mg zyprexa for 1.5 month. Started taper mid-Jan. 2017. Cut 1.25 mg every 2 weeks; smaller cuts 2.5 mg down. Stopped at .6 mg. May 7, 2017: zyprexa free. 
Zoloft: Dec1, 2016, 200 mg. Started taper: Jun12, 2017: 197.5 mg; Jun19,:195 mg; July 2:185mg; July 9,:180 mg; July16,: 175; July 23: 170; July 30: 165; Aug6: 160; Aug13: 155; Aug. 20: 150; Aug.27: 146 mg; Sept3: 145 mg; Sept10:143 mg; Sept17:140 mg....Nov5: 122 mg...Dec3:112.5 mg; Jan14, 2018: 95 mg...Jan28: 90 mg; Feb21:80 mg; Mar11: 75 mg; May2:70 mg; May15: 68 mg; May28: 65 mg; Jun9: 62 mg;Jun25: 60 mg:July22: 55 mg; Aug25: 45 mg. Aug28: 50 mg...Oct 28: 38 mg; Dec.4: 30 mg; Jan8,2019: 25mg; Feb6: 23.5 mg; Apr1:17.5mg; May1:1 mg; May 5: 18;  May 18:15mg; June 16:12.5mg; Sept 10:11 mg; Sept.16:10 mg; Oct. 1: 9mg; Nov. 27: 8mg; Dec.5: 7mg; Jan.1,2020, 6 mg; Feb1: 5 mg; May 1: 2.5 mg; Jn 1: 2 mg; Jy 1: 1.5 mg

Oh my God, quetiapine, that brings some upleasant memories. I've taken propranolol for several years. I actually did cold turkey it, the time I also withdrew Amisulpride (another AP) and Zoloft over 1 month. I can't really say anything about the propranolol, after that withdrawal I was half-dead for 4 months before reinstating Zoloft and switching to Olanzapine. I did not take the propranolol again, that being said, I think Madeleine is right - it's better not to play with fire. Propranolol is supposed to contain akathisia, now I don't have that much of an akathisia problem anymore (although 1 year after qutting the olanzapine, it's still present, also intensified now by stopping Zoloft), but suppose it made it worse for you if you quit it cold turkey. It's possible.

And, in my experience, halving or cold-turkeying antiypsychotics is a no-go. That I definitely wouldn't attempt. In my case, too quick AP withdrawal is a living hell, neither pleasant or healthy. I got psychosis, derealisation, anxiety, tiredness, sweating, low body temperature, depression, all sorts of nasty things. I'm surprised you've actually managed to quit an AP like that in the past, as I've never heard about a single case of an AP user being able to stop those drugs that quickly. 

1 year risperidone, 1 year olanzapine (10 mg). attempted first withdrawal cold turkey, failed. 2 more years olanzapine, switched to abilify which was very disruptive so attempted quitting cold turkey, failed. then 4 years amisulpride at 150 mg and about 3 zoloft at 150 mg. attempted withdrawal from both in 3 weeks, failed. reinstated zoloft and bridged to olanzapine (10 mg), successfully withdrew it over 10 months. tried withdrawing zoloft over 12 months, failed. bridged to prozac, at 40 mg,  now at 12 mg.

• 4 months later...

Hello, all!

I know how weird it might be to read a forum and to be curious on how something ended up, so I remembered about this post and came back to share some results... 4 months down the road.

As I initially planned it out, I halved the dosages for all pills every single week. Oxybutynin was the first to be completely cut, followed closely by Propranolol. When the moment came to quit the "stronger" ones, I was in my planned holiday, expecting the worst. In my case, I feel very fortunate to not have had any kind of withdrawal symptom. I expected both physical and psychological pain, but none of it ever came. 

4 months in, here are some random thoughts about this exercise:

- while the plan to split in half worked for me, anyone else who might be reading this, please be prudent and judge such a decision with your best interest in mind. I valued getting out of that "hole" as soon as possible more than any potential pain, so I took that chance. Your mileage may definitely vary, so make sure that you are realistic.

- I believe that my medication, at some points throughout these years, helped. After the results I've had, now, I also believe a factor in my case was the environment I was in: bullied at school, no personal or professional achievement, not the best social life etc. The reason I wanted to re-evaluate where I stand was due to how this past year has treated me, since I moved to the UK and since a lot of factors in my environment changed for the better. I'm feeling more confident and my train of thought feels sharper.

- I am not the type to go with conspiracy theories so I won't suddenly change my mind about psychiatry, modern medicine etc. What I will admit, though, is that Seroquel feels wrong. The differences in how I perceive and react to reality, now, compared to how this happened until now, are beyond words. Absolutely everything's changed, and I would say that it's for the better. Seroquel was a cloud... It would numb reality for me, it was adding this mesh between me and reality. It's extremely hard to explain, but I'm grateful I can now take reality in for what it is.

- Beyond prescribed medicine, I also stopped any alcohol intake (I was getting headaches in the morning, whenever I had even 250ml of beer the night before) and I don't feel like using any other drug. It's been two months with me not taking anything that breaks the beauty of reality, and I'm very much OK with it.

- Needless to say, the drawer that used to be exclusively for prescribed medication is now... For more underwear. :)

Those of you that took time to post such helpful replies above, thank you very much and I'm so sorry I didn't write any update until now.

All the best to everyone! :)

• Administrator

Thank you, VyRuZ. I'm glad your taper method worked for you.

You are correct, if you get any kind of withdrawal symptoms, you'd have to adjust your taper schedule.

Good luck, please come back and let us know if you have any problems.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 1 month later...

Any update?

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

Hey, nz11!

I’m still going great. Haven’t touched any substance that would alter my perception of reality, be it doctor prescribed, legal or illegal. I can’t say that it’s been a bad decision in any way and I feel as though none of the changes that have happened to me in this time would have been possible without this decision. 

Does this help you? Do you need any other info?

Well that’s quite a cocktail of drugs you have come off after 8 years use.

And report doing fine. Well you are certainly an exceptional survivor

thanks for updating

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

I am thankful for how lucky I am, definitely. The constant in these 8 years was Quetiapine. That has always been present, be it 200mg or 400mg or 800mg every single day. The others, not so much. 

I stand by my initial idea that, at least in my case, whatever issues I had, environment was also a major factor. I wouldn’t consider everyone else to be the same, though. 

Thank you, all, for creating and supporting this community. You gave me the final knowledge for me to proceed. :)

Many people (including myself) report difficulty sleeping in withdrawal.

How did you find sleeping once drug free. 

Recovering paxil addict

It’s considerably worse. It’s not as profound, not as lenghty... I wake up multiple times, I’m woken up by the simplest things, but I am still rested in the morning. 

Since stopping the pills, I managed to establish a consistent wake-up pattern: 4:50am every single day. The time I go to bed varies, but I get 4-5h most days. 

It’s comforting to know I’m not alone... It was always my fear that Quetiapine changed something in me forever. There is no way a person would go to bed forced every single day for so many years and once the substance is out, the person to recover. I’m expecting at least a year until things might improve. :)

I plan on writing a longer reply, here, this weekend. I want to offer more details on personality changes and overall perception.

Thank you all again!

For a track record so bad, here I am, delivering an update, heh!

Some backstory (not necessary reading, more useful if you want to know how I got prescribed Quetiapine):

When I was 16, I had severe cystic acne. As I realised no possible external use medicine (like a cream) would work, I decided to go to a dermatologist. I was prescribed the maximum dose of Roaccutane (6 pills a day for the first month if I'm not mistaken) and went into severe depression. My parents always considered that was how my issues started, and in some way, I agree.

Every second day I would have suicidal thoughts but I managed to get through all that. Treatment lasted 6 months in total, with Roaccutane.

The final year of high school, I considered I would never be able to pass exams if I wasn't on some kind of ADHD medication. Because I couldn't focus and because I was as intelligent as my peers but would struggle with normal school work, I thought something was wrong. I went to my first psychiatrist and, after describing my attention problems and answering his other questions, he thought I had bipolar. As I didn't accept his conclusion, I visited a second and a third psychiatrist, but it was all the same: I was bipolar. (fun fact: the doctor that treated me the most had a Ph.D specific to bipolar)

Years under medication:

I've always trusted doctors and was never one to be paranoid or think someone or something is "out to get us". If my doctors would add a second antipsychotic, I wouldn't question it. 

To be honest with myself, I do think I had some issues. I'm not sure whether they needed treatment or just someone telling me it's alright to be like that, for now, but my biggest screw-up was actually seeing myself in a place of no more power. I accepted I was bipolar, and that's fine, but I wouldn't take any further responsibility over my mental state. If I had a more anxious day, I would visit my doctor and ask for a small change in medication. Same if any other day was more stressful, more depressing etc. I never faced any of my problems. With Quetiapine in the mix and other medications, I could always blame something. 

I always strived to be a better person. I always wanted to keep a budget, count calories, work out and be responsible in as many "adult life situations" as I could. Somehow, I could never maintain any of these habits.

Life without medication:

Over a year ago, I moved to the UK from my small-ish Eastern European country. I continued working in my chosen industry and I'm happy with where I am now.

After I stopped taking the pills, I slowly started turning into the person I wanted to be: I no longer attach emotions to every interaction (saves a ton of headaches at work), I maintain a budget and use an app to have a list of all my transactions, I've removed all my social media accounts (when you free up a few hours in your day from being stuck in the Facebook bubble, you get time to see just how important and hard real life is, and with a bit of determination, you'll work towards improving that and not your selfies), I maintain a to-do list, I've integrated the Retro (see Agile Methodology in software development) for my personal life and I try and do a retro each Sunday. I am a bit more stable as an individual and without that cloud blurring my perception of reality, I feel better about going after what I want in life.

Nonetheless, being honest with myself again, none of this would have been possible in that same small-ish Eastern European country. Because I'm in a much better place for myself, mentally and physically, it enables all the other changes and I think this is the most important idea from this entire post.

I don't feel like what I wrote above has more value than my previous posts, but I do hope it's useful to understand, in my particular case, why I made the choice of quitting medication. :)

• 4 months later...
  • Administrator

How are you doing, Vy?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

55 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

How are you doing, Vy?

Hey there, Altostrata!

I'm doing well, honestly. Lost all the weight I had gained under antipsychotics (26.5kg), I've stopped all substances that would alter my perceptions (including coffee), started various other activites (like meditation) to get over unpleasant mental states...

The only place I'm not 100% is my sleep. It's never more than 6h a night (that's for the past 6 months -- I haven't slept more than 6h in any night), but I can't say it's hurting me. 

If you or anyone else is curious about other details, let me know! Ah, before I forget... I'm taking a multivitamin, magnesium citrate and omega-3 fish oil. 

• Administrator

Hurray! How did you finally go off the drugs?

6 hours a sleep nightly is not too bad. See Tips to help sleep -- so many of us have that awful withdrawal insomnia  there may be something there to help you add those last couple of hours.

This calls for our cheerful "here comes the sun" symbol ☼ to be added to the title of your Intro topic, to show you're recovering.

Please continue to let us know how you're doing. I hope you will add your story to our Recovery Success Stories eventually!

PS SurvivingAntidepressants.org Web site volunteer help wanted!