☼ Gussy: 9 weeks off effexor wondering if it will ever end?

Gussy

Hi everyone. It's been just over 7 months since i got to zero effexor. Things are better than they were that's for sure although i still have some weaker bad times. I haven't really had a dream since i got to zero though. Just wondering if this has hapenned to anyone else? Gus.

Gussy

On effexor for at least 11 years. Last few years going through ivf treatment dose has ranged from 150-200mg. Mainly 150 though. Tapered from about 175mg mid jan 2017 to zero mid april 2017. 2&1/2 months of straight hell. Getting there now though.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Gussy, these drugs are very powerful and affect the way the brain functions and it looks like you discontinued Effexor rather quickly and could very well be the reason you aren't dreaming anymore.  Interestingly enough, I found when I was on Pristiq 50mg and then switched to Effexor 75mg to start my taper, I rarely had dreams.  Now that I have gotten lower on my dose of Effexor, I am starting to dream again which is kind of nice.  I'd imagine that your brain needs time to heal and bring itself back to homeostasis and have a feeling that your normal rate of dreaming will eventually return.  Hang in there, your brain has been through a lot and just needs a little time to rest.  

Current Prescription Drugs for Hypothyroidism:  Synthroid 100mcg / Cytomel 5mcg (15 years Pristiq/Effexor)

Tapering Schedule
September 15, 2016 - switched from Pristiq 50mg to Effexor XR 75mg; November 10, 2016 - reduced to 67.5 Effexor XR
December 9, 2016 - reduced 60.75
January 5, 2017 - reduced 54.67
January 30, 2017 - reduced to 49.0
February 20, 2017 - reduced to 44.0 
May 20, 2017 - reduced to 40.25 (holding for additional month due to late onset of withdrawal symptoms after this taper)
July 17, 2017 - reduced to 38.24
August 15, 2017 - reduced to 37.5 (50% of my original dose)

October 15, 2017 - reduced to 35.6

November 12, 2017 - reduced to 33.8
December 15, 2017 - up-dose to 35.6
December 28, 2017 - up-dose to 37.5

• 2 weeks later...

Hi again all you supportive people. Gus again wondering about some things. Have many people experienced hot flushes/flashes(whatever you want to call em) when coming off effexor after a while? The chills and shivering is well and truly gone. I'm noticing them quite often lately and night sweats also in bed. Also, have many of you experienced pretty hard core lethargy/lack of motivation? I've had some of those brain feelings for the last few days in the bottom rear corners of my brain too but i'm kind of accustomed to them as i've had them earlier on in wd and much worse then too. I'm not really asking about them though as i have before. Just ranting i spose. I want to thank everyone who's had something to say to me in the past as you've been very helpful and understanding. It is a hard thing to believe/understand unless you've done it and having a whole super gang who do for no reward is priceless. My own dad didn't believe me today when i said i didn't have a beer at a party i went to the other night as i wasn't over this yet and didn't want to chance it. My mum's been on ad's for longer than she hasn't so it's a pity he doesn't know more. Anyway thanks everyone you're the best. Gus.

Gussy

On effexor for at least 11 years. Last few years going through ivf treatment dose has ranged from 150-200mg. Mainly 150 though. Tapered from about 175mg mid jan 2017 to zero mid april 2017. 2&1/2 months of straight hell. Getting there now though.

Wanted to make sure i'd be notified of replies

Gussy

Sorry i thought of another thing i've been feeling lately and wonder if anyone else has had it happen to them. Lately I'm getting a very weird feeling in my right lower leg bones. With all the crazy stuff withdrawal does to people I figure it must be involved somehow. Has anyone else experienced this? Thanks again for all your replies, Gus

Gussy

The feeling in my leg is like the bone/s are twisting.

Gussy

Hot and cold are a disruption of the CNS's ability to maintain your body temperature and is classical withdrawal, as is pain in your bones.  Apparently SSRIs get into every part of your brain and body, including bones.

I have had a bone weary feeling down at lower dosages that has felt awful.

How long it takes to resolve - I have no idea, because I don't do well with withdrawal at all.

Joy

Jan 2023 to July 2023 250mg quetiapine

Tapered off quetiapine again over 2 months - now weight problem

Thanks for your reply joy, much appreciated. After what i've felt i believe you. Gus.

Gussy

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everybody, quick question, does anyone know if effexor can interfere with the immune system? For a long time I've been very prone to catching colds and having them last a lot longer than they should. Does anyone know if effexor might contribute to this?

Gussy

Did you check your WBC count? 

I was taking citalopram for a few years, and my count has fallen from 5.600 to 3.700! 

Citalopram 20 mg

Mid June 1994- end March 1995 Then tapering 3 months 

Mid August 1995-end August 1996 Tapering 6 months 

Mid January 2000-end September 2001 Tapering 6 months

Mid October 2003-end October 2005 Tapering 7 years. 

More detailed drug history is here - ☼-kostas

Off any drug from October 2012 

No kosatas i haven't. I have an appointment with my dr tommorow about some blood tests and i have written down to tell him how i catch things and they linger. I don't think the drs believe me when i tell them what.s happening though. I don.t mean wd cause very few drs believe that, i just mean other stuff i.ve noticed

Gussy

• 5 weeks later...

Hi everybody. Have many people experienced real bad unrelenting fatigue, lethargy and light headedness in wd for months on end and have it eventually go away? I've had it for a long while and wish it would go away now. Enough's enough hey. Thanks.

Gussy

yes I have.

Will the doctor be testing your testosterone levels? Please ask him to test for this.

Well fatigue is part of wdl and it may go on for a very long time. 

My opinion is just try to keep up with the exercise even if it feels like you are just going through the motions or you have exercise intolerance. 

I'm back to playing competitive sport again now after withdrawal left me off the sports field for 5.5 years. But I had to build up to it.

Start with short walks build it up to long walks. Then jog walk if you can. Spend time on the stationary bike if you can get access to one.

So far for the past month I've been on court for  2-3 hours a day, 6 days a week. Then I relax in the spa pool at the local gym, If I feel up to it I might even do 10 laps in the pool.

This is how I'm spending my vacation days. 

At the end of the day we can only do what we can do.

I have found it has slowly improved it is taking years. 

I'm too scared to go back to get my testosterone levels rechecked. The last results left me horrified. 

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

4 minutes ago, nz11 said:

yes I have.

Will the doctor be testing your testosterone levels? Please ask him to test for this.

Well fatigue is part of wdl and it may go on for a very long time. 

My opinion is just try to keep up with the exercise even if it feels like you are just going through the motions or you have exercise intolerance. 

I'm back to playing competitive sport again now after withdrawal left me off the sports field for 5.5 years. But I had to build up to it.

Start with short walks build it up to long walks. Then jog walk if you can. Spend time on the stationary bike if you can get access to one.

So far for the past month I've been on court for  2-3 hours a day, 6 days a week. Then I relax in the spa pool at the local gym, If I feel up to it I might even do 10 laps in the pool.

This is how I'm spending my vacation days. 

At the end of the day we can only do what we can do.

I have found it has slowly improved it is taking years. 

I'm too scared to go back to get my testosterone levels rechecked. The last results left me horrified. 

Sorry gussy for the tread interjection,

Brilliant nz11 for you being back playing sports like this ,today is a day I need to hear such inspiration ,my body is behaving like a snail this week .

Total kudos .

Alcohol free since February 2015 

1MG diazepam

4.5MG PROZAC.

1 hour ago, nz11 said:

Nz11 funny you say that as i.ve had it tested twice in the last year after finding a dr who.d do it for me the second time without thinking it.s a waste  of taxpayers money. At the start of last year it was pretty low and at the end of last year it was even lower. I'm hoping that with enough time off the effexor it might change but I'll have to wait and see.  I have an appointment booked with an endocrinologist in a few months also regarding this. So hopefully he might be able to shed some light. Did you by any chance happen to lose much body hair in withdrawal? Thanks for your reply also.

Gussy

2 hours ago, Gussy said:

Hi everybody. Have many people experienced real bad unrelenting fatigue, lethargy and light headedness in wd for months on end and have it eventually go away? I've had it for a long while and wish it would go away now. Enough's enough hey. Thanks.

It tends to go away ~ it did for me and it has for many others as well. The main thing is not to panic and just take it day by day. It does get better.

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

How about crampy twitchy tired muscles?

Gussy

Thanks to all who've replied. I keep telling myself as long as i keep finding a way it will eventually get better. It has for you guys so it will for me.

Gussy

• 3 months later...

Just an update for everyone who was there in my time of need. It's been over a year now since i got to zero. The things that have happened in that time from wd have been unimaginable and terrible. I.m not 100% yet but i'd say they'd be at least 70% (don't want to over estimate, might even be 80%) which is pretty damn good given i was at 0% for a long time. I don't even know what 100% feels like. Everything has lifted and the light is shining in which feels really good. It.s still there but at worst would be only 10% of what it was. I've started enjoying listening to music again(used to make teers stream down my face) with only a few little teers at times. Might even be teers of joy from being able to do it again. Even started riding my dirt bike again in the last month, thought i.d get too dizzy the first time i tried and would have to stop but much to my surprise i had no probs. It.s very physical so i was also worried the exertion and stimulus would overwhelm me after my wd experience in the last year but all i had was a sore body after not having done it for so long. Had to hide from everything in the last year but not any more. My brain feelings have almost gone and the terrible emotions that came with them. Only have a few much less intense ones now in only a few areas with the symptoms that accompany the feeling in that area of my brain. Sometimes my emotions are a little silly but once again only 10% at most of what they were. Light and noise sensitivity has settled a lot and my testosterone(for those who may be interested) has more than doubled since getting off effexor. That took a long time to happen though. Still get "nerve aggrivation" in my feet and some other places but compared to everything that happened last year i.m in a good place and wish i.d never gone down this road. My eyes have been opened  to what drs know and what they think they know and will now be very vigilant. I could rave on for ages but i think you guys get it. Looking forward to seeing how much better i.ll be in another year. Gus.

Gussy

Hello Gus,

I'm so pleased to hear that you're doing so much better. Best wishes for even more improvement in the next year!

Bubbles

2005 St John's Wort / 2006-2012 Lexapro 20mg, 2 failed attempts to stop, tapered over 4.5 months in early 2012

January 2013 started Sertraline, over time worked up to 100mg

July 2014 Sertraline dropped from 100mg to 75mg, held for six months, slower tapering until 2019 22 Dec 3.2mg

2020 Sertraline 19 Jan 3.1mg, 26 Jan 3.0mg; 1 Mar 2.9, 7 Mar 2.8, May (some drops here) 24 May 2.5, May 29 2.4, June 21 2.3, June 28 2.2mg,  July 4 2.1mg, July 24 (or maybe a bit before) 2mg, early Nov switched to home made suspension; 29 Nov 1.8mg; approx 25 Dec 1.6mg)

2021 Some time in about Jan/Feb realised probably on more like 1.8mg and poss mixing error in making suspension; doses after 10 Feb accurate; 10 Feb 1.6mg; 7 Mar 1.4, continued monthly

10% drops until 1mg, then dropped 0.1mg monthly.

May 2022,0.1mg, now dropping 0.01mg per week

29 August 2022 - first day of zero!

My thread here at SA: https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/1775-bubbles/page/21/

Current: Armour Thyroid

Thank you. These "drugs" should be as illegal if not more than those that people go to jail for selling. Not shy to say it to anyone. I said it in the chemist the other day. What a nightmare it was. 

Gussy

7 minutes ago, Gussy said:

Thank you. These "drugs" should be as illegal if not more than those that people go to jail for selling. Not shy to say it to anyone. I said it in the chemist the other day. What a nightmare it was. 

What did they say to that?

2005 St John's Wort / 2006-2012 Lexapro 20mg, 2 failed attempts to stop, tapered over 4.5 months in early 2012

July 2014 Sertraline dropped from 100mg to 75mg, held for six months, slower tapering until 2019 22 Dec 3.2mg

2020 Sertraline 19 Jan 3.1mg, 26 Jan 3.0mg; 1 Mar 2.9, 7 Mar 2.8, May (some drops here) 24 May 2.5, May 29 2.4, June 21 2.3, June 28 2.2mg,  July 4 2.1mg, July 24 (or maybe a bit before) 2mg, early Nov switched to home made suspension; 29 Nov 1.8mg; approx 25 Dec 1.6mg)

2021 Some time in about Jan/Feb realised probably on more like 1.8mg and poss mixing error in making suspension; doses after 10 Feb accurate; 10 Feb 1.6mg; 7 Mar 1.4, continued monthly

My thread here at SA: https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/1775-bubbles/page/21/

• Moderator Emeritus

Gussy, this is a great report.  I'm so happy you're doing so well.  Thanks for updating us.  Your report was a real "up."

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

Bubbles, they didn't say much. Prob didn.t want to argue with a customer. It came about in a funny way. I was at the chemist not buying anti d.s and lexapro came up on the screen for some reason when they entered the code for what i was buying. After going through the worst of wd i was compelled. I said the stuff about it should be illegal and said it has no place in anyone's body. I told them how i.ve been at zero effexor for a year, she said "oh you.ve had a little bit of withdrawal have you?". I said no i haven.t had a little bit, it.s been an absolute nightmare and you can.t imagine, you have to go through it to know. I.ve met the devil coming off this stuff. These drs have no idea what they.re giving people. I think they may have been a little stumped. I also told an endocrinologist i was seeing that it should be illegal. I said "why would you believe what.s happened to me when these d*ck head gp's wont?", he was obviously more aware of what happens saying these "drugs" can indeed affect the brain.s hormonal pathways which i was growing more and more suspicious of through my journey. Dr.s will dismiss this kind of thought without a mention.  I always look for effexor when i go to the chemist to remind myself of the evil that exists in this world and the lengths companies will go to for profit. 

I have another question: does anyone have a link to the write up that explains how 37.5 of effexor has 80% of the total effect effexor can have?

Edited by Gussy
Added content

Gussy

Gridley, i.ve waited a long time to return here as i wanted to be sure i wasn.t lying when i gave a good update. I.m not perfect and it is painfully slow but i.m a lot better than this time last year and even 4 months ago. It.s almost all doom and gloom on these sites and i know why so i wanted to add something a bit less doom and gloom.

Gussy

Thank you bubbles that.s awesome. I.m a member on the fb effexor wd group created by sherry julo. She.s in her 5th year of wd after being tapered by her clueless dr from 225-0 over 2 weeks. I wanted to share this on that group to show how important it is to go real slow especially from 37.5 like i didn.t if that.s ok?

Gussy

Thanks

Gussy

@Gussy

Nice report.

I wish I would have tapered in hindsight.

But also nobody told me about taper and wdl.. all I  was told I was relapsing.

08/13 - 01/14
Olanzapine, petril MD (Clonazepam ), Dicorate ER (divalproex). Soza 10 (Zolpidem)

02/14 - 05/14
Flunil ​20mg , Divaa OD 250 mg(divalproex), Amisulpride 50mg (1-0-2), zolfresh 5 mg , Quetiapine
05/14 - 08/14 Venlafaxine 75 xr ( 1-0-1), zapiz 0.25
10/14 Zaptra 12.5mg , Oxetol xr 150mg (0-0-1)
11/14 - 08/15
Paris CR 25 (paroxetine) , Oxetol xr 600 mg (0-0-1), nitrest 5mg , Quetiapine for a month.
09/15-11 Venlafaxine XR 75 ( 1-0-1), Mirtazipine 15, Respiredal 0.5, Lamitor 25, zillion 10.
12/15-02/16 Off Meds (C.T)

03/16-Mid April Sertraline, Aripropazole, Quetiapine, Etizolam.

After that : CT and on OTC supplements (Roadback), now on Ayurveda
8 hours ago, bhasski said:

@Gussy

Nice report.

I wish I would have tapered in hindsight.

But also nobody told me about taper and wdl.. all I  was told I was relapsing.

Bhasski how long have you been at zero? Did a dr instruct you how to do it?

Gussy

@Gussy

I have been all drugs off 26 months.

I was told to take half the dose of Paroxetine CR and Oxacrbazepine  for a week and then stop. The doctor said nothing about withdrawal. He never mentioned it and only said relapse.

I contacted him when was severe in withdrawal with all the symptoms and again he refuted me and any internet crap about that. He told me to see a psychiatrist nearby.

08/13 - 01/14
Olanzapine, petril MD (Clonazepam ), Dicorate ER (divalproex). Soza 10 (Zolpidem)

02/14 - 05/14
Flunil ​20mg , Divaa OD 250 mg(divalproex), Amisulpride 50mg (1-0-2), zolfresh 5 mg , Quetiapine
11/14 - 08/15
Paris CR 25 (paroxetine) , Oxetol xr 600 mg (0-0-1), nitrest 5mg , Quetiapine for a month.
09/15-11 Venlafaxine XR 75 ( 1-0-1), Mirtazipine 15, Respiredal 0.5, Lamitor 25, zillion 10.

16 hours ago, bhasski said:

@Gussy

For **** sake what's wrong with these idiots? I.m on the effexor group on f.b and almost every day someone says the same thing.

Gussy

Has your wd subsided?

Gussy

08/13 - 01/14

02/14 - 05/14
11/14 - 08/15

No,

I am not in any way normal. I suffer very less emotions except anger. Constantly feel anxiety and sudden rage. I feel my personality lost. Very difficult to express and talk. 

Physical issues are there like indigestion, restless legs, dull and blur vision etc.

I heard stories that people snapped to old self or closer to old self and hope such thing will happen... 

08/13 - 01/14

02/14 - 05/14
11/14 - 08/15