SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Angela2017

Hello I have a question for anyone tapering off Lamotrigine. I'm on 800mg of Carbamazipine which I'm not tapering off yet. However I am tapering off  Lamotrigine and I've got stuck at 50mg. I take 25mg twice a day, I actually take 25mg at 8am and then the other one at 4pm as I've found this way I can function in the day and means that the 4pm 'slump' times nicely with the tiredness that comes on around then until the 4pm dose kicks in at about 5.30pm so I rest at 4pm. -I hope this might be a good piece of advice for some of you that find the end of the day is a right off if your waiting to take your medication at night.

My question is has anyone found anything particularly helpful in order to get off Lamotrigine. For example swapping onto a different medication? Or do you find using the liquid or chewable forms of lamotrigine make it easier? My current symptoms are headache, itching, chronic fatigue and aching arms and eyes. It would be particularly useful to hear from people who take both Carbamazepine and Lamotrigine but any advice would be so great. Thank you and we can do this!!

Hello, I'm taking 800mg of Carbamazipine since 2011 which I've had one attempt at tapering off. However I successfully came off Quetiapine in 2016. I am tapering off  Lamotrogine which I've been taking since July 2016 at the moment (I'm taking 50mg at the moment). I take 25mg twice a day one at 8am and then the other one at 4pm as I've found this way I can function in the day and means that the 4pm 'slump' times nicely with the tiredness that comes on around then until the 4pm dose kicks in at about 5.30pm so I rest at 4pm. -I hope this might be a good piece of advice for some of you that find the end of the day is a right off if your waiting to take your medication at night. My current symptoms are headache, itching, chronic fatigue and aching arms and eyes. Things I have found help BIOFEEDBACK, KELLY BROGAN, LETS TALK WITHDRAWAL PODCAST, PAUL DAVID, MAX KIRSTEN. It would be particularly useful to hear from people who take both Carbamazepine and Lamotrigine but ANY advice would be so great. Thank you!! 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Angela, welcome to SA. How long have you been tapering lamotrigine, and how long have you been tapering? 

As you are experiencing withdrawal symptoms it would be best to hold your taper to give your brain chance to catch up with the lower doses. Here at SA we recommend tapering 10% of the current dose, with 4 weeks between drops. Some need to make smaller cuts and/or longer holds. It is good that you have worked out the best way to take it, sometimes divided doses are the best way to go. How are you tapering? We have a topic for tapering lamictal (lamotrigine). I will get the link for you. We do not recommend switching drugs, this can cause more problems, and we find it is better to taper the original drug whenever possible. The liquid is the easiest way, it is simple to dilute for the lower doses. We ask all our members to fill in their signature with a brief list of drugs and tapering history. You can find instructions here....

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/12364-please-put-your-withdrawal-history-in-your-signature/

Tapering lamictal

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1122-tips-for-tapering-off-lamictal-lamotrigine/

Why taper 10%

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1024-why-taper-by-10-of-my-dosage/

Lots of us here find that fish oil and magnesium are very helpful while tapering or in withdrawal. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/?view=findpost&p=100596&hl=magnesium

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1300-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

Hello mamma P, I'm taking 800mg of Carbamazipine since 2011 which I've had one attempt at tapering off. However I successfully came off Quetiapine in 2016. I am tapering off  Lamotrogine which I've been taking since July 2016 at the moment (I'm taking 50mg at the moment). I take 25mg twice a day one at 8am and then the other one at 4pm as I've found this way I can function in the day and means that the 4pm 'slump' times nicely with the tiredness that comes on around then until the 4pm dose kicks in at about 5.30pm so I rest at 4pm. -I hope this might be a good piece of advice for some of you that find the end of the day is a right off if your waiting to take your medication at night. My current symptoms are headache, itching, chronic fatigue and aching arms and eyes. Things I have found help BIOFEEDBACK, KELLY BROGAN, LETS TALK WITHDRAWAL PODCAST, PAUL DAVID and MAX KIRSTEN. More recently started reducing very slowly, im also taking fish oil, magnesium, pro biotic and other supplements too. Im going to reduce by 1mg per time now as I have chewable doses. Ive completed my signature. Many many thanks for your help. :)

Hello, I'm taking 800mg of Carbamazipine since 2011 which I've had one attempt at tapering off. However I successfully came off Quetiapine in 2016. I am tapering off  Lamotrogine which I've been taking since July 2016 at the moment (I'm taking 50mg at the moment). I take 25mg twice a day one at 8am and then the other one at 4pm as I've found this way I can function in the day and means that the 4pm 'slump' times nicely with the tiredness that comes on around then until the 4pm dose kicks in at about 5.30pm so I rest at 4pm. -I hope this might be a good piece of advice for some of you that find the end of the day is a right off if your waiting to take your medication at night. My current symptoms are headache, itching, chronic fatigue and aching arms and eyes. Things I have found help BIOFEEDBACK, KELLY BROGAN, LETS TALK WITHDRAWAL PODCAST, PAUL DAVID, MAX KIRSTEN. It would be particularly useful to hear from people who take both Carbamazepine and Lamotrigine but ANY advice would be so great. Thank you!! 

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for your signature Angela.  Glad you are going to reduce more slowly.  As MammaP says, you can always hold for a while to let yourself 'catch up' before continuing to taper again.  Slow and gentle reductions will get you there much more reliably than if you push things.   It's also best to stick to tapering one drug at a time. 

You might like to have a look at Non-Drug Techniques non-drug-techniques-to-cope-with-emotional-symptoms

Welcome to SA,

Karen

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 Now on 7 micro-beads of Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.