SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Psych Drugs and Foster Kids

compsports

Diane Sawyer and her crew have spent a year investigating the horrific medication of foster kids. The following blog has the links to the videos that were done on 11/30 and 12/1. Last night, there was more on 20/20 with the only difference showing a place in Louisville, KY, Mayhurst, https://www.maryhurst.org/sslpage.aspx that was either completely taking kids off of medication or reducing them. By the way, I know Bob Whitaker discussed a similar type place in Anatomy of an Epidemic.

The ABC reports showed the kids with the bags of all the drugs they had been on. It made me want to throw up.

It also showed a kid testifying before Senator Thomas Carper's committee who had been on a cocktail for bogus diagnoses. It made me so upset.

Here is the link:

http://ifyouregoingthoughhellkeepgoing.blogspot.com/

Scroll down to the 12/1 entry for part I.

CS

PS - Just found this written summary on the 20/20 show about Mayhurst

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/foster-kids-hope-agency-helps-wean-kids-off/story?id=15076150#.TtovWFY8DTo

Drug cocktail 1995 - 2010
Started taper of Adderall, Wellbutrin XL, Remeron, and Doxepin in 2006
Finished taper on June 10, 2010

Temazepam on a PRN basis approximately twice a month - 2014 to 2016

Beginning in 2017 - Consumption increased to about two times per week

April 2017 - Increased to taking it full time for insomnia

Saw some on news the other nite. I was sobbing. Psych drugs for kids less than 1 year old. OMG.

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

Saw some on news the other nite. I was sobbing. Psych drugs for kids less than 1 year old. OMG.

You're so right Barb.

I can't repeat what I think of psychiatrists who do this.

CS

Drug cocktail 1995 - 2010
Started taper of Adderall, Wellbutrin XL, Remeron, and Doxepin in 2006
Finished taper on June 10, 2010

Temazepam on a PRN basis approximately twice a month - 2014 to 2016

Beginning in 2017 - Consumption increased to about two times per week

April 2017 - Increased to taking it full time for insomnia

This is a major event, I believe. I truly think the tide is FINALLY turning. If the mainstream media is doing a story like this, the public consciousness is slowly beginning to shift. This is a very good sign.

I've long said that the drugging of children is our Vietnam. Think about it: innocent children being harmed (or even killed!) for a truly insane agenda that is beyond their control. In the 60s, it was the paranoid US foreign policy that communism must be crushed at all costs, and now it is a corrupt and sociopathic pharmaceutical industry and complicit profession that pathologizes normal child behavior for profit or just out of sheer laziness. Only in hindsight will psychiatry's actions and "standards of care" seem as insane as they truly are now, just as Vietnam was only seen as insane by the authorities in hindsight. And of course in both cases, it took (and will take!) 1000s of innocent lives before we as a society wake up. Tragic.

But to return to some positive thinking: I do think this is a good sign that people are slowly waking up. I think this broadcast is part of a larger re-awakening of society that something in this country is deeply, deeply wrong. I mean, at the very core, and if we don't change our direction fast, we're toast. Even the OWS crowd recently woke up that Obama is a corporate/big bank shill and isn't their buddy. I think that's deeply encouraging too. Hopefully more and more Americans will come to the conclusion that I have (as well as others on this board) that the last 30 years of toxic thinking and sheer idiocy and greed in all American institutions has now come to haunt us in a big way, and the bill is now due. In fact, it's overdue.

Maybe, just maybe, this is the start of a trend. And the start of some MAJOR, DESPERATELY NEEDED healing.

I'll end this post with a quote from the introduction of "The Franklin Scandal," a book that goes into fearless detail about the worst kind of abuse imaginable to children in this country: a child sex-slave ring in the 1980s that shuttled vulnerable young boys (from foster homes!) to powerful politicians for orgies that included sodomy, physical abuse, torture, hard drug use, and even satanism! And it was all covered up and to this day has not been fully investigated. What author Nick Bryant says in his introduction is as applicable to his subject matter as to the children drugged in foster homes:

"America, unfortunately, is a society that pays great lip service to children as its most precious resource but, in actuality, it is unwilling to put its money where its mouth is concerning their plight."

PS: If you think it's just the foster home workers and psychiatrists who are to blame, you're wrong. This is a societal disease, and it doesn't occur in a vacuum. I recently spoke to a mother who said she managed to take her autistic son off all his psych meds because they didn't seem to be working and made him gain weight rapidly. She then adopted a strict gluten and sugar-free diet for her son and after much effort, her son is now on the diet and doing better than ever. Her psychiatrist was stunned (of course! He probably never thought this was possible without meds) and said he'd tell his other patients about this.

But the point is she said most parents wouldn't do this because it takes real effort. The insinuation was obvious: most parents would rather give their kid a pill because it's easier. We need to ask ourselves some serious questions about how in the hell we got to this point where we'd rather put our kids on these meds instead of taking the time and energy to be a good parent.

Been on SSRIs since 1998:

1998-2005: Paxil in varying doses

2005-present: Lexapro.

2006-early '08: Effexor AND Lexapro! Good thing I got off the Effexor rather quickly (within a year).

**PSYCHIATRY: TAKE YOUR CHEMICAL IMBALANCE AND CHOKE ON IT!

APA=FUBAR

FDA=SNAFU

NIMH=LMFAO

Currently tapering Lexapro ~10% every month:

STARTING: 15 mg

11/7/10: 13.5 mg

12/7/10: 12.2 mg

1/6/11: 10.9 mg

2/3/11: 9.8 mg

3/3/11: 8.8 mg

4/1/11: 7.8 mg

4/29/11: 7 mg

5/27/11: 6.4 mg

6/24/11: 5.7 mg

7/22/11: 5 mg

8/18/11: 4.5 mg

9/14/11: 4 mg

10/13/11: 3.6 mg

11/9/11: 3.2 mg

12/7/11: 2.6 mg

1/3/12: 2.1 mg

2/2/12: 1.8 mg

• Administrator

I agree, cine. I think someone is trying to get the government to pay attention -- working through Medicare and Medicaid restrictions.

The timing of the recent revelations of overdrugging of foster kids and the elderly in nursing homes suggests to me someone is working to get publicity for psychiatric drug excesses. It makes sense they'd expose the most sensational outrages first.

I have a bone to pick with ABC -- I thought they could have shown more what the children are like when they're drugged to the gills. But it was probably too depressing.

I expect Medicare and Medicaid will put restrictions on psych drugs for elderly in nursing homes and foster kids, but they'll be pretty weak.

This is just the tip of the iceberg as far as inappropriate use of psych drugs goes. What about the GPs and psychiatrists in private practice? Health insurance companies have to get on them, too.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

The restrictions are there, they just haven't been enforced until recently. Sat in on talk at conference about Foster Kids. It sounded EXACTLY like nursing home issues--no family to fight for them, the most vulnerable. Im not familiar w FHs, but do know SNF laws. Both fall thru the cracks. Although I don't know if FHs have pharmacy reviewers.

Kinda fun to watch the government fight the government. ;)

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy