kubie: Regards from Poland, paxil romance

kubie

Hello. My name is Karol, im 23 years old and im from Poland. I'm on Paxil since September 2014. My mom also is on Paxil but a bit longer cause since 2010... I have been here for a while when things got worse after tapering off. I admire how helpful and compassionate you are to yourself. At the same time its sad for me that we have to suffer so much due to psychiatrist's lack of knowledge. Best wishes for all!

08/2014 - Paxil 20mg Started
22/06/2017 - Paxil 10mg

Hi. First of all sorry for possible mistakes, english isnt my native language. Im from Poland i was put on Paxil when I was 20. I have been on it for 3 years right now. Im scared that Paxil may interrupted healthy developement of brain which takes place to 23 years old. Im afraid of damage which Paxil could make. Could tell me is it possible? I read a lot of resources but i dont get it at all. Maybe one of you know something about this thread? Thanks for your help. 

22/06/2017 - Paxil 10mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Kubie - Welcome to SA,

I did a merge of your two topics so all your personal information will be in one place.  I have to run now, but others will be in soon to read your introduction.

best,

Karen

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 December - Now on 5 micro-beads Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops. Symptoms begin to increase.

2024 April - Updosed to 6 microbeads - immediate increase in symptoms for 4 days. Decreased to 5 microbeads.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

Hi kubie 

welcome to the forum, it wasn't clear to me if you are still on Paxil as you mentioned tapering.  Why were you put on Paxil? 

200 Zoloft; 10 mg Zyprexa; 4 mg valium as of May 2021;  Valium taper: July 16: 3.5 valium; July 30: 3 mg (paused valium taper); Aug. 23: 2.5 mg
Zyprexa: July 26: 8.75 mg; Aug. 9: 7.5 mg; Aug. 30: 7.1 mg

-------
Dec 1, 2016. 10 mg zyprexa for 1.5 month. Started taper mid-Jan. 2017. Cut 1.25 mg every 2 weeks; smaller cuts 2.5 mg down. Stopped at .6 mg. May 7, 2017: zyprexa free. 
Zoloft: Dec1, 2016, 200 mg. Started taper: Jun12, 2017: 197.5 mg; Jun19,:195 mg; July 2:185mg; July 9,:180 mg; July16,: 175; July 23: 170; July 30: 165; Aug6: 160; Aug13: 155; Aug. 20: 150; Aug.27: 146 mg; Sept3: 145 mg; Sept10:143 mg; Sept17:140 mg....Nov5: 122 mg...Dec3:112.5 mg; Jan14, 2018: 95 mg...Jan28: 90 mg; Feb21:80 mg; Mar11: 75 mg; May2:70 mg; May15: 68 mg; May28: 65 mg; Jun9: 62 mg;Jun25: 60 mg:July22: 55 mg; Aug25: 45 mg. Aug28: 50 mg...Oct 28: 38 mg; Dec.4: 30 mg; Jan8,2019: 25mg; Feb6: 23.5 mg; Apr1:17.5mg; May1:1 mg; May 5: 18;  May 18:15mg; June 16:12.5mg; Sept 10:11 mg; Sept.16:10 mg; Oct. 1: 9mg; Nov. 27: 8mg; Dec.5: 7mg; Jan.1,2020, 6 mg; Feb1: 5 mg; May 1: 2.5 mg; Jn 1: 2 mg; Jy 1: 1.5 mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello again Kubie,

We recommend a gentle taper, reducing by no more than 10% of your current dose each month.  This allows your brain time to adjust as you go, and lessens any withdrawal.  What was your taper like?  Are you still on some paxil now?  Please put your withdrawal history in your signature – all drugs/dates/dosages etc. so we can see your situation easily whenever you post, and help you more accurately.  Thanks.

I understand your concern about paxil, and agree it is never a good idea to give drugs which change the way brains work to somebody whose brain is still developing.  However it is also my understanding that our brains are very capable of healing.  I believe this is true for all of us.  Some of these links may help you: 

neuro-plasticity - interview with Norman Doige  

Brain Healing 

What is Withdrawal Syndrome? 

Neuro-plasticity

neuro plasticity and limbic retraining

The troublesome thing with SSRIs is that you can't just flush their effects out of your system.  They change the way your brain works, and that takes much longer to heal.  Suddenly stopping the drug puts your brain and Central Nervous System into shock.  It's like yanking a trellis out of a garden instead of gently untangling the plants and slowly removing the wood – it’s too much trauma for the plants/your brain.  (For the source of that simile, plus further discussion, see http://survivinganti...el-your-brain/)

Have a read of those and then you can come back to this thread to discuss things further.  This can be your journal to record your tapering and healing progress, and to ask questions. 

Many people find Fish oil and Magnesium useful during withdrawal.   

Melt into your own life

Welcome to SA,

Karen

Edited by KarenB

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 December - Now on 5 micro-beads Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops. Symptoms begin to increase.

2024 April - Updosed to 6 microbeads - immediate increase in symptoms for 4 days. Decreased to 5 microbeads.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

You calm me down. Realy. Thank you for your answer! I will edit my signature. 

@Madeleine Im still on Paxil. 3 months ago I was on 20mg and throught this time a taper to 5mg so a lot too fast. I felt good, but 2 weeks ago BAM. Couldnt control my anger, sadness, anything. So i came back to 10mg and will try to adapt to this dosage. If things is stable, I will try to taper as slow as I can, but problem here in Poland is I cant get liquid Paxil or 10mg pills. I dont drink alcohol now, dont smoke, bought cbd oil to manage anxiety and eat magnesium, vitamins, fish oil and b vit complex. 

22/06/2017 - Paxil 10mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome kubie!

Take lots of time to get stable on 10 mg Paxil.  Then when your symptoms have settled you can taper by 10% using a digital scale or by making a liquid.  You can learn about such methods in these topics:

Using a digital scale to measure doses.

Making a liquid from a tablet or capsules .

One of our moderators, brassmonkey, has just completed a taper of Paxil. He used a scale to measure his doses. 

brassmonkey's introduction topic. (it's a long read, he's been on the site for 4.5 years and has many friends who post there)

Also, please do not take CBD oil, other cannabis products or any other psycho/neuro-active substance. When you have withdrawal symptoms your CNS (central nervous system) can be very sensitive and adding new psycho/neuro-active substance is more likely to make things worse than to make things better.

Edited by scallywag

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

@scallywagI need to do more research about cbd oil then. Its not I think you are wrong, but cbd seems to calm down nervous system from what i know. I think it could be healthy source of relief on withdrawal. Of course thanks for your opinion. As i said I will do more reserach and if someone have any thoughts or experience with cbd while tapering, I would be grateful to know :) Maybe im wrong. 

Have a nice day and thanks for your support!

22/06/2017 - Paxil 10mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Kubie, the goal of the site is to help people taper safely off medication. Adding another medication, even a natural one such as cannabis, can complicate the symptoms. When someone is taking more than one medication, it is difficult to know which medication or change in dose is causing a problem. 

Also, any research you find about CBD oil probably will not be looking at persons withdrawing from psychiatric medications or having autonomic dysregulation.  When someone is tapering or withdrawing from psych meds, their CNS (central nervous system) is not in the same state as someone who has never taken prescription psych meds. Your CNS is working to adjust itself to new lower doses of the medication and the introduction of another substance can cause unpredictable results.  Depending on where you live and how cannabis products are produced and monitored, there can be HUGE variation in the quality of the product. That variation introduces a second complicating factor that can create or worsen symptoms. 

All I can tell you is that I've seen members on this site try CBD oil to treat their withdrawal symptoms and their symptoms have worsened slowing their taper by several months.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

• 2 months later...

It's been 3 months since my last post. Well, feel like nothing really has changed. I don't have physical symptoms, just psychological. Waves of anxiety and currently deep depression with suicidal thoughts. Since 2 weeks had insomnia, where i slept about 3-5 hours per night. Always antidepressants lifted my mood and make me feel normal. I am still on 10mg of Paxil since 4 months and frightened how i feel and how would i feel when i will go on lower dose. Actually I now consider to go back on full dose 20mg of Paxil. I just want my old self back. I am trying different supplements right now. Magnesium, zinc, b6, fish oil and a few more, but can't say that they help. Dont now what to do right now... 

22/06/2017 - Paxil 10mg