There Is No Such Thing As Mental Illness

Shanti

I love this guy. He is a very good, eloquent speaker and really puts it out there. He has another video about Children and mental illness and you can really see his speech power come out in that one! His name is Stefan Molyneux and he's been named one of the top 10 most influential people in alternate media. He isn't a Phd or doctor, but he does refer to a lot of them and shows their names.

Taper from Cymbalta, Paxil, Prozac & Antipsychotics finished June 2012.

Xanax 5% Taper - (8/12 - .5 mg) - (9/12 - .45) - (10/12 - .43) - (11/12 - .41) - (12/12 - .38)

My Paxil Website

My Intro

Here is his "Theory of Mental Health" videos. These talk alot about the children diagnosed and the school system. A lot about society and what's "normal".

It's a shame that media like this, truth, is the "alternative" media, and the lies are the mainstream. I pray this does a switch soon. People are starting to wake up and the tides are turning.

Xanax 5% Taper - (8/12 - .5 mg) - (9/12 - .45) - (10/12 - .43) - (11/12 - .41) - (12/12 - .38)

My Paxil Website

My Intro

Nashville MD missed memo that the chemical imbalance theory was an urban legend

post-220-0-27574400-1322933524_thumb.jpg

From website:

What is Chemical Imbalance in the Brain?

Chemical imbalance in the brain is the same concept as electrolyte imbalance of the body (glucose, sodium, potassium, calcium, etc); in the brain, serotonin, acetylcholine, GABA, nor-epinephrine, epinephrine, dopamine, endorphin, etc., are not in sync with your body’s needs. It is a real medical condition.

Certain medications contain the chemicals needed to correct the brain’s imbalances. The good news is that it can be treated.

Doctor,

I've had my electrolytes measured in routine labwork. How do you measure serotonin, acetylcholine, GABA, dopamine, etc? What are the 'normal' levels (Reference Ranges)? Do they differ by age, gender, etc., and what time of day should they be measured? Should I be fasting? How often do you monitor levels? What other labwork will be done (thyroid, Vitamin B and D levels, etc.)?

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

Excellent post Barb. I like the note to the doctor!

I've been watching more of Stefan Molyneux's videos and he is the most insightful man I've seen! He really has a connection to higher guidance in these philosophies and theories of his. Here is a link to his Youtube page.

My Paxil Website

My Intro

Nashville MD missed memo that the chemical imbalance theory was an urban legend

post-220-0-27574400-1322933524_thumb.jpg

From website:

What is Chemical Imbalance in the Brain?

Chemical imbalance in the brain is the same concept as electrolyte imbalance of the body (glucose, sodium, potassium, calcium, etc); in the brain, serotonin, acetylcholine, GABA, nor-epinephrine, epinephrine, dopamine, endorphin, etc., are not in sync with your body’s needs. It is a real medical condition.

Certain medications contain the chemicals needed to correct the brain’s imbalances. The good news is that it can be treated.

Doctor,

I've had my electrolytes measured in routine labwork. How do you measure serotonin, acetylcholine, GABA, dopamine, etc? What are the 'normal' levels (Reference Ranges)? Do they differ by age, gender, etc., and what time of day should they be measured? Should I be fasting? How often do you monitor levels? What other labwork will be done (thyroid, Vitamin B and D levels, etc.)?

Really good post! Since coming off drugs, I have been doing more and more research into them and their history. I just ordered Irving Kirsch's book and Robert Whitakers book. Seems like people blindly accepted these lies!

Various SSRIs/SNRIs 7- 1/2 years

Went Cold Turkey from Celexa 2011, Stayed Off

Psych Drug Free and Loving Life (over 6 years and counting)

How I Stay Well: Diet, exercise, meditation, supplements, etc

That Drugs aren't the solution to the problem doesn't mean there is no problem whatsoever. All these problems, these 'mental illnesses', they all predate psych medications.

To say 'there is no such thing as mental illnesses' is a sloppy way to make our point based on how the population understands the term. That is, if the goal is to win people over to our point of viewi

John Nash didn't hide in an attic (essentially) for the entire prime of his adulthood believing that aliens were communicating their elaborate plans with him because he wanted to. He didn't give up his promising career to live some more interesting attic life. There was clearly something wrong. It doesn't matter what you call it.

I'm as anti-everything as the next guy, but I think this kind of debate is a debate we will lose and lose looking radical. Argue there is 'no such thing as chemical imbalance' and we can win. Argue there is 'no such thing as mental illness' and... we'll be taken about as seriously as the Church of Scientology.

No offense to anyone, guys. But I prefer a more measured approach. I want to win the debate which first requires enterance to the debate. Unfortunately, hyperbole this distant from 'the mainstream' will prohibit that, IMO.

Also, the fact that there is no test or gene explaining OCD doesn't mean there is no such thing as OCD, whatever you want to call it. It may not be an illness or a mental illness but that's beside the point. It is a real thing, a real problem and it exists to anyone with eyes.

My cousins' wife mother died last year. She was basically Howard Hughes. She hadn't left her home in over a decade. Her husband's life was essentially dedicated to helping this woman get through each day without adding to the horde of garbage she refused to dispose of. My cousin and his then-fiance eloped because his wife knew her mom wouldn't be able to leave the home to attend the wedding and that missing it would cause her tremendous psychic pain.

Are we really going to say to my cousin's wife, after watching her mother drift into her own reality, that there was nothing at all wrong with her? I promise she (and all the people like her) are going to tune us out. Though she'd be receptive to the more subtle "chemical imbalance theory is inaccurate and propagated by profit-hungry Pharma firms."

That's my take.

Alex

"Well my ship's been split to splinters and it's sinking fast
I'm drowning in the poison, got no future, got no past
But my heart is not weary, it's light and it's free
I've got nothing but affection for all those who sailed with me.

Everybody's moving, if they ain't already there
Everybody's got to move somewhere
Stick with me baby, stick with me anyhow
Things should start to get interesting right about now."

- Zimmerman

I agree with your take, Alex. To speculate that mental illness doesn't exist, is the same as saying a chemical imbalance does.

How someone who is truly mentally ill gets well, is another thread.

Charter Member 2011

I hate the term 'mental illness'. Here's my reasoning: 'they' try to claim this chemical imbalance 'just like electrolytes, diabetes, etc.' Ok. We know that's BS. However, they use this vague 'mental' terminology in diagnosis but treatment is 'just like any medical disease'. So cal it a psychoneuroendocrine disorder or even psychosocial or neuropsychosocial. Just lose the MENTAL! That word has absolutely no positive connotations.

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

Sure. I agree with you -- I hate it -- but I'm pretty educated about these things and understand how the point could be argued (though I think it needs to be argued by someone who would get at least a modicum of respect by the mainstream; someone with credentials, the snootier the better). I think about the public though and from there the objection emerged. From my experience Joe Public associates 'mental illnesses' with problems that he has witnessed. So it's hard, I think, to say there is no such thing and get traction.

I guess it depends where the debate is being held. I think claiming "there is no such thing as mental illness" means one thing, and could be argued, in a venue where the audience is attuned to the technical differences which would underlie such an argument, say a symposium in a hall at Johns Hopkins.

But if the debate is held in the court of public opinion, and we run round saying this, people will think we're loony. At least, that's how I think Joe Public will respond (it's how they respond to the scientologists).

So that would be my objection to using that language widely.

Alex

- Zimmerman

Yes. That's definitely something to distance from. I won't claim to know details about Scientology, but Tom Cruise put this whole thing back so far with his rants.

You could do a superb debate! I suspect you are the type that could slide zingers into a discussion so that they go undetected until later time when other person mentally replays the discussion and says to himself 'did he really say that and I missed it?' BAZINGA!

I don't think I'm the man for the job. But thanks. That's one of the tough things for me to deal with. I was a pretty loony person on Drugs and did a lot of things that really disqualify me from spokesmanship, I think.

We've got a lot of talent in development here, on this board. I think Alto and cine and Rhi and you as well, Barb, would be up to the job in my book.

Honestly, the best contribution I could probably make is to try to raise money someday. That's such a big disadvantage for our side. You can't win the fight if the other side basically owns the mainstream media AND has a warchest that is thousands of times in excess of your resources.

Alex

- Zimmerman

Alex, I totally agree with you. I think it is too extreme to say mental illness doesn't exits. In some other videos from this same guy, he does acknowledge that there are definitely conditions and he gives some advice of how to heal without medications, such as CBT. He did go too extreme on this one and I see your point that this is the polar opposite of the problem. Two sides of the same dualistic coin. However, as the Buddha says, sometimes when there is extremity, you have to go the other extreme and THEN find the balance that is Truth.

If I can find some of his more balanced videos again I'll post them here.

My Paxil Website

My Intro

Here is one of his other videos I'm watching now. It gets into detail of the changes and harm to the brain physiologically.

My Paxil Website

My Intro

• 5 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Many moons ago when I was a therapist, there were a number of books on this topic by Thomas Szasz which are still available. Check it out on Amazon, and be sure to take a look also at The Manufacture of Madness. http://tinyurl.com/Myth-of-Mental-Illness

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy