love: what was your last dosage of cipralex/escitalopram/lexapro?

I wonder where to stop
I would love to hear from your personal experience of using this medicine
Thanks

Edited by Altostrata
added screen name to title

35 years old single
with ocd and anixety
15 years on ssri
now tappering escitelpharm
20/6-2.8 mg escitalpharm

• Administrator

Welcome, love.

I've moved your first post to the Introductions forum to start your Introductions topic, where you can ask questions about your particular situation and track your progress.

We  have many people tapering off escitalopram or Lexapro here. Use search in this forum to find their topics.

Here are Tips for tapering off Lexapro (escitalopram)

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Mentor

I'm not yet off lexapro but plan to jump off at the lowest possible dose

I currently take 0.18mgs in liquid form.

I will try to get down to 0.05 before jumping off

how long have you been tapering, love?

I see by your signature that you are on 2.8mgs now...?

PLEASE DO NOT SEND ME PRIVATE MESSAGES, thank you. 

• pysch med history: 1974 @ age 18 to Oct 2017 (approx 43 yrs total) 
  •  Drug list: stelazine, haldol, elavil, lithium, zoloft, celexa, lexapro(doses as high as 40mgs), klonopin, ambien, seroquel(high doses), depakote, zyprexa, lamictal- plus brief trials of dozens of other psych meds over the years
  • started lexapro 2002, dose varied from 20mgs to 40mgs. First attempt to get off it was 2007- WD symptoms were mistaken for "relapse". 
  •  2013 too fast taper down to 5mg but WD forced me back to 20mgs
  •  June of 2105, tapered again too rapidly to 2.5mgs by Dec 2015. Found SA, held at 2.5 mgs til May 2016 when I foolishly "jumped off". felt ok until  Sept, then acute WD hit!!  reinstated at 0.3mgs in Oct. 2106
  • Tapered off to zero by  Oct. 2017 Doing very well. 
  • Nov. 2018 feel 95% healed, age 63 
  • Jan. 2020 feel 100% healed, peaceful and content
  • Dec 2023 Loving life! ❤️ with all it's ups and downs ;) 

i am tapering for 7 months now

35 years old single
with ocd and anixety
15 years on ssri
20/6-2.8 mg escitalpharm

• Mentor
2 hours ago, love said:

i am tapering for 7 months now

what dose were you taking when you started to taper?

PLEASE DO NOT SEND ME PRIVATE MESSAGES, thank you. 

• pysch med history: 1974 @ age 18 to Oct 2017 (approx 43 yrs total) 
  •  Drug list: stelazine, haldol, elavil, lithium, zoloft, celexa, lexapro(doses as high as 40mgs), klonopin, ambien, seroquel(high doses), depakote, zyprexa, lamictal- plus brief trials of dozens of other psych meds over the years
  • started lexapro 2002, dose varied from 20mgs to 40mgs. First attempt to get off it was 2007- WD symptoms were mistaken for "relapse". 
  •  2013 too fast taper down to 5mg but WD forced me back to 20mgs
  •  June of 2105, tapered again too rapidly to 2.5mgs by Dec 2015. Found SA, held at 2.5 mgs til May 2016 when I foolishly "jumped off". felt ok until  Sept, then acute WD hit!!  reinstated at 0.3mgs in Oct. 2106
  • Tapered off to zero by  Oct. 2017 Doing very well. 
  • Nov. 2018 feel 95% healed, age 63 
  • Jan. 2020 feel 100% healed, peaceful and content
  • Dec 2023 Loving life! ❤️ with all it's ups and downs ;) 
  • ChessieCat changed the title to love: what was your last dosage of cipralex/escitalopram/lexapro?

20 mg
i taper 20-30% every month or two

35 years old single
with ocd and anixety
15 years on ssri
20/6-2.8 mg escitalpharm

I tapered 10 mg cipralex 2 years ago but hadn't heard from this page yet and did it too fast/too big steps.went from 10 to 7,5 waited 1-2 months til I felt stable, 7,5 to 5, 5 to 2,5, then varied a little I guess because I didnt know about a liquid form and couldn't split the tablets exactly any smaller.. so I guess at 1-2 mg I stopped. But well.. it was definitely to quick for my system as I went through horrible WD issues for a while

2005-2006: Cipralex 5 mg

2009-2010: Cipralex 5 mg

2012-2015: Cipralex 5mg, 10mg 

tapered 10mg-7.5mg-5mg-2,5-0 (I always waited for a few weeks on the current dosage until I felt stable. Steps were too big I realized too late)

Completely drug free since August 2015

3 hours ago, Pepita said:

I tapered 10 mg cipralex 2 years ago but hadn't heard from this page yet and did it too fast/too big steps.went from 10 to 7,5 waited 1-2 months til I felt stable, 7,5 to 5, 5 to 2,5, then varied a little I guess because I didnt know about a liquid form and couldn't split the tablets exactly any smaller.. so I guess at 1-2 mg I stopped. But well.. it was definitely to quick for my system as I went through horrible WD issues for a while

thank you for your answer
how long you was on every step?
how lond you had wd?
for what you took lexapro?
did lexapro cause you constipation/diahrrea?

35 years old single
with ocd and anixety
15 years on ssri
20/6-2.8 mg escitalpharm

1 hour ago, love said:

thank you for your answer
how long you was on every step?
how lond you had wd?
for what you took lexapro?
did lexapro cause you constipation/diahrrea?

I took Cipralex, not Lexapro, but it's an SSRI as well. Every step about 1-2 month but too big steps. I had them prescribed for light panic attacks. Strong withdrawal for 6-8 months, then wondows and waves. I am 2 years off now and I am very much better!! Not completely healed I think but almost maybe and have times where I feel totally normal

tapered 10mg-7.5mg-5mg-2,5-0 (I always waited for a few weeks on the current dosage until I felt stable. Steps were too big I realized too late)

2 hours ago, Pepita said:

I took Cipralex, not Lexapro, but it's an SSRI as well. Every step about 1-2 month but too big steps. I had them prescribed for light panic attacks. Strong withdrawal for 6-8 months, then wondows and waves. I am 2 years off now and I am very much better!! Not completely healed I think but almost maybe and have times where I feel totally normal

How long you took it?

I am with cipralex too but cant taper slowly because it cause me watery diahrrhea so i have to stop with that 

I dont think that your taper every two month is fast at all

You did 30% for 2 months it sound great

What helped you in wd?

35 years old single
with ocd and anixety
15 years on ssri
20/6-2.8 mg escitalpharm

16 minutes ago, love said:

How long you took it?

I am with cipralex too but cant taper slowly because it cause me watery diahrrhea so i have to stop with that 

I dont think that your taper every two month is fast at all

You did 30% for 2 months it sound great

What helped you in wd?

I took it 3 years. Oh nooo ok, so you want to quit cold turkey or did already? and the diarrhea is because of the cipralex for sure? hmm I don't know but I guess my withdrawal would have been easier if I tapered more slowly. phu, what helped... loooooots of help from my mum and friends (by help I mean always being reachable for me if having a really bad time, and being understanding). I worked less, I did my best to avoid every stress possible, meditated daily, kept a daily

log about my state of mind, no training except for walking and letting time pass...

how are you now?

1 hour ago, Pepita said:

I took it 3 years. Oh nooo ok, so you want to quit cold turkey or did already? and the diarrhea is because of the cipralex for sure? hmm I don't know but I guess my withdrawal would have been easier if I tapered more slowly. phu, what helped... loooooots of help from my mum and friends (by help I mean always being reachable for me if having a really bad time, and being understanding). I worked less, I did my best to avoid every stress possible, meditated daily, kept a daily

log about my state of mind, no training except for walking and letting time pass...

how are you now?

Its cuase me constipation too

And dyspapsya

Hell

So i taper 20% amonth sometimes 30%

Still taper

35 years old single
with ocd and anixety
15 years on ssri
20/6-2.8 mg escitalpharm

10 hours ago, love said:

Its cuase me constipation too

And dyspapsya

Hell

So i taper 20% amonth sometimes 30%

Still taper

:( how long did you take it?

18 minutes ago, Pepita said:

:( how long did you take it?

10 years
half year stop
now 1.5 year

35 years old single
with ocd and anixety
15 years on ssri
20/6-2.8 mg escitalpharm

7 hours ago, love said:

10 years
half year stop
now 1.5 year

wow so the diarrhea issues came so many years after you took it!? long term side effects? that is hard:( so how are you doing with your taper? having many withdrawal symptoms or do you actually feel better? 

1 hour ago, Pepita said:

wow so the diarrhea issues came so many years after you took it!? long term side effects? that is hard:( so how are you doing with your taper? having many withdrawal symptoms or do you actually feel better? 

i dont know really

35 years old single
with ocd and anixety
15 years on ssri
20/6-2.8 mg escitalpharm

• scallywag locked this topic